Sears Bankrupt

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News

Jun 5, 2017
Ratings
Sears, a Onetime Retail Giant, Now Banks on Bankruptcy

So sears finally declared Chapter 11. If they will or won't actually re-organize, I don't know.

Went to Sears a few months ago. It was very quiet. Sears can't even afford Muzak.

The store itself was still fairly nice, but there was something haunting about it. A few broken tiles; a few places which needed paint; some empty space on the floors. Walked past the closed portrait studio. Walked into the closed portrait studio. The lights were off, & there were boards over the doors leading to the actual photo booths. Faded, 90's-ish, pictures were on the walls. I took some pictures of what the area looked like then moved on.

There was no electronics section, but they had a shelf of DVDs, the cheap $5 ones put out by Echo Bridge/Platinum Disk Corporation. Bought a TV show, if I remember correct. White Fang, the complete series. Not good, but great scenery, & entertaining if you don't think too much about it. There was only one slow cashier, & a long line.

Hard to believe they're really going bankrupt; it's been announced every year for the past decade; it's like the boy finally saw a real wolf.

I wonder what this'll do to their franchised stores? If they really go under, I suppose someone'll buy the name continue to license it. Happened with Ben Franklin's. Seems to happen that way with most defunct franchisers.

Have one or two Tele-Games 2600 carts. Great cover art, under appreciated. I just wish they didn't change the games' names. Makes it hard to remember what you already own.
Went to Sears a few months ago. It was very quiet. Sears can't even afford Muzak.

The store itself was still fairly nice, but there was something haunting about it. A few broken tiles; a few places which needed paint; some empty space on the floors. Walked past the closed portrait studio. Walked into the closed portrait studio. The lights were off, & there were boards over the doors leading to the actual photo booths. Faded, 90's-ish, pictures were on the walls. I took some pictures of what the area looked like then moved on.

There was no electronics section, but they had a shelf of DVDs, the cheap $5 ones put out by Echo Bridge/Platinum Disk Corporation. Bought a TV show, if I remember correct. White Fang, the complete series. Not good, but great scenery, & entertaining if you don't think too much about it. There was only one slow cashier, & a long line.

Hard to believe they're really going bankrupt; it's been announced every year for the past decade; it's like the boy finally saw a real wolf.

I wonder what this'll do to their franchised stores? If they really go under, I suppose someone'll buy the name continue to license it. Happened with Ben Franklin's. Seems to happen that way with most defunct franchisers.

Have one or two Tele-Games 2600 carts. Great cover art, under appreciated. I just wish they didn't change the games' names. Makes it hard to remember what you already own.

Aug 21, 2010
Ratings
Great Meadows, NJ
You can lay this at the feet of the heartless venture capitalist who bought them and merged them with Kmart, Eddie Lampert. He never did anything to actually support the stores-- he didn't invest in them, didn't bother to really show a modicum of support. He instead treated the company like his personal piggybank, while at the same time pitting divisions and stores against each other in a failed effort to introduce social darwinism to retail (he's apparently a follower of this crazy Ayn Rand person). He should be strung up at the foot of the Sears Tower and have shit hurled at him, for what he's done to these retail institutions.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Ratings
787 6
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Think for a minute about what that means. At one point Sears was so powerful and important to any manufacturer's bottom line that if they wanted to change the name of your own product and brand it as theirs, you had no choice but to nod and allow it.

When you look through the history of big department stores, they all have an arc: they're the new hip store everyone gravitates toward, they completely dominate for a few decades, then once they face competition as young as they once were, they decline and fade away. It happens to everyone. Some noted this week that the rise of Amazon greatly resembles the rise of Sears.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Hey Lady Lucario! Long time no see! How is life treating ya?
I like that Delta Rune doesn't even try to conceal it's creepy subtext. Just tosses it right at you from the start.
am i the only one who notices the change, while nobody else does?
RIP Stan Lee, the legendary Marvel creator.
Happy Veterans Day to all the brave men and women in service. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication.