• 1/2

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Official "Scooby-Doo" Movie Talkback (Spoilers)

Throughout The Ages, One Hero Has Cowered Above The Rest.
SCOOBYDRRP.jpg

Release Date: June 14, 2002
Studio: Warner Bros.
Director: Raja Gosnell
Starring: Sarah Michelle Gellar, Freddie Prinze Jr., Matthew Lillard, Linda Cardellini, Rowan Atkinson

Plot Summary: This first-ever live-action adaptation of the beloved and long-running animated series catches up with Scooby-Doo and the Mystery Inc. gang as they meddle their way into a bona fide mystery that leads them into murky and possibly supernatural waters.

Visit the official movie site here.

Buy the movie!

Comments?

Friday, June 14th has arrived, and with is brings the much anticipated release of the live action Scooby-Doo movie. This thread will be the official thread for discussion on the movie.

Let The Discussions Begin!

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Originally posted by langden alger
it sucked :D

Please wait until you see the movie before you post comments about it - especially unwarranted comments. Posting "it sucked" without actually seeing the movie isn't a good way to start off this thread discussion.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Originally posted by Zoddman
He put a :D by his reply, Jim. He was joking.

I know, but it's still in poor taste to start a thread like that, joking or not. Hopefully some board members will put up their thoughts on the movie here sometime today - and something more than just "it sucked". I plan to as soon as I see the movie.

Auggie Doggie

Timmy Turner
I mentioned this in an earlier post.

Mary, my sister, went with her Scooby-Loving friend last night. At first, she wasn't expecting much (she thought Freddie Prince Jr. looked freaky with that Blonde wig on!), but found it quite funny after seeing it. I was even offered to go with them, but, of course, turned it down. I'm still thinking of what she said after seeing it...YOU SHOULD HAVE COME! YOU WOULD HAVE LOVED IT! I'm not sure if I will see it on video, but Mary might push me into it.

ccffan01

I did not see it, but a few friends of mine went and said it was preety good. I plan to post what I thought as soon as I see it.

Barb Gordon

Nin-Mod
Carnage,myself and two other senior buds went to see it yesterday as a pre graduation fun moment. I want my 85 minutes or so of wasted life back, and I want it now! To make more sense, let's just say that I knew it would be corny but still funny...but it there was too much corny and not enough funny. Now I know why the cartoons are 30 minutes long, because this movie would have been great if it had only been that long. The majority of the audiences were wearing diapers or were about 10 years old, and they were quiet for the entire film. The only time there was laughter was from my group, and even then it was sparse. Freddy Prince Jr as Freddy scares the heck out of me, and at first I thought it might work, but by the end of the movie it just really didn't. Shaggy was played the best, but he was such a major part of the movie that he got old real fast. Velma was good, but so incredibly boring! I mean, I know she's brainy, but she's not supposed to be so dang dull. Sarah Michelle Gellar did better then I would have thought, but Daphne being the ditz and stereotypical damsel in distress that didn't advance anywhere got stale. Scooby was great of course, he was CGI! He was the only amusing character the entire way through. ANd what was with the random love interest so slyly named "Mary Jane"? And we could all do with Scrappy Doo thank you very much. Yes, he is the most annoying character ever created in the Scooby Doo stories....and having him in the movie in the beginning was hard enough, but the part he played by the end was just so stupid and almost sickening that no one was even smiling. All in all, though it had it's moments of "haha, that's funny like the cartoon" it was, as People Magazine put: Scooby Don't

~Barb

The Guard

No Matter The Cost
I just don't understand the NEED for a SCOOBY DOO movie. I mean, we ALL know how it ends. It's always Old Man Withers. That show was a joke, and to make a movie out of it is a bigger joke. I find it sad that children are even entertained. I figured out the repetitive plot thing when I was like 2, and never watched it again. And if you're going to make a live-action Scooby Doo, what's with the CGI dog??? It just looks like a waste of money, and I resent the fact that it's not THE FANTASTIC FOUR.

Captin "Hank" Murphy

Free Labotamies for Apes.
I saw the movie and I found it to be fun and just plain silly. It has some great fart-jokes, cute jokes playing on some belives like Shaggy's stoner, I was surprized of who the main villain was, and it showed me that Velma can look that hot. I don't know about what you people think, but I definetly got my money's worth.

The Game

One Stratusfied Customer
I was actually surprised- I didn't think it was all that bad.

I would by no means declare it a "good movie", but it was decent, I guess I enjoyed it considering I knew what I would be seeing going in and had very small expectations.

The 90 second burping and farting contest between Shaggy and Scooby was pretty lame, but overall I think it was pretty good. The characterization wasn't the best, and neither was the acting, but it wasn't horrible, and I think Matthew Lillard was sick as Shaggy.

Man, SMG was HOT in this movie. Was it my wandering eye, or did she just happen to be like bent over in every scene, for out viewing pleasure? :p I'm serious, like every other scene featured her posterior while she was crawling, being carried, etc. I'm of course, not complaining.

-The Game

Terminatah

Badass Cyborg
This movie ruled. The main characters were all perfectly cast and Scooby was really on his game. I enjoyed the extra depth the screenplay went into as the whole Mystery Inc gang was given hopes, fears, human quirks, and a tortured past.

Here are at least five scenes I know were dropped from the final cut:

SCENE 1: There's a sign outside the Mystery Machine that says "POT FOR SALE." The camera pans over to reveal that Shaggy is selling clay flower pots. For some reason, this was deemed too risque.

SCENE 2: Daphne is bending over to store her luggage in the overhead compartment, and Fred is checking her out. The camera pans over to reveal that Velma is also checking her out. This was cut not because it was sexual, but because it dealt specifically with Velma's ambiguous sexuality.

SCENE 3: Fred comes over to Daphne's hotel room in the night under the pretense of wanting to protect her, but he brings his toothbrush, implying that he wants to spend the night. A kid might see this as a sleepover; adults saw it as sexual promiscuity. Snip snip.

SCENE 4: Velma gets hammered in the hotel bar and starts singing on top of the piano. As the trailers reveal, she tells Scooby his name means "Scooby Poop," to her own unbridled amusement. At one point, she serenades one of her friends, but Fred and Daphne can't figure out which one of them she's pointing at. Again, Velma's ambiguous sexuality becomes lining for the cutting room floor.

SCENE 5: When they're switching bodies in the forest and they can't get the combination right, they come to a point where Fred and Shaggy have their own bodies back, but Daphne and Velma are still switched, so they kiss in order to switch bodies without any more mishaps. Somehow, this was perceived as a lesbian kiss. The whole joke is that it technically wasn't.

The movie contains plenty of good wholesome laughs, and these scenes would've really rounded out the final product. They better at least be restored in the bonus material section of the DVD release. Maybe they could even be incorporated in an unrated edition for us big kids who don't mind that sort of thing.

Overall, a good show. I hope Scooby is down for the sequel. Oh, and I can't say this enough:

SCRAPPY DOO RULES ASS. LONG LIVE SCRAPPY.

-Terminatah

Brainiac

You've forced my hand.
Well, I went into this movie with zero expectations. I expected it to be shallow, stupid, especially when it came to casting Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddy Prinze Jr. After seeing it, I actually liked it. Granted, it wasn't the best movie, but I admit that I enjoyed it, and found it to be a fun and entertaining movie. I thought that they nailed Scooby (especially his voice---it's not the same person from the cartoon, right?). Also, Lilliard was great as Shaggy...they seemed to catch that relationship very well. Linda Cardellini as Velma was also good, and I thought that her bar-time nostalgia was great. She, IMO, had the best line in the movie: When speaking of Scrappy, "He's not even a puppy, he just has a gland disorder." That, along with some other jokes thrown in there were great. Scrappy's, "And I would've gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for you meddling sons of b--" Fred, addressing Mr. Montevarias: "We found some clues Mr. Mononucleosis..." Sarah Michelle Gellar wasn't half as bad as I thought she would be, so it was a somewhat pleasant surprise. Unfortunately, Freddy Prinze Jr. was just as bad as I thought he would be...oh, well....Anyway, I REALLY liked the idea of having Scrappy as the villain (because he was the most obnoxious and annoying character on the show....). The only big problem I had with it was that there wasn't enough reference to the original Scooby-Doo. Yes, you had Scooby filing the monster's nails and the suitcase thing, but what about the idea that Scooby is Scrappy's uncle? Maybe they didn't want that because it would make Scooby seem sort of "bad" because he was beating on his nephew(?) Also, why did Daphne learn Kung-Fu? Also, the farting/burping scene was just....not funny. Overall, though, I did like the movie, and maybe since I wasn't expecting much of it, I liked it more. I think it was entertaining, but nothing great. I'd give it a B+.

~Brainiac

Lonestarr

Stop eating my sesame cake!
Staff member
Wow.

I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong. I saw "Scooby-Doo" today. While not a classic, it's not the megaton bomb I once thought it would be. The cast did a pretty good job, but Matthew Lillard really threw himself into the role of Shaggy and provided some of the more terrific moments. There were also a number of interesting surprises, especially in the final act.

Overall: B- (skirted a C+ at times)

Red

Hmm
I was suprised that Scrappy was the villian. After they showed that 2 years ago clip with Scrappy. I thought Scrappy was going to save the Day. X_X

I thought this was a good movie

8.5/10 stars

The Shade

I'm Batman
It was ok, the movie had it's moments.

Matthew Lillard and Linda Cardellini ARE Shaggy and Velma. Sarah Michelle Gellar did a very good job as Daphne, but she didn't get her charactor right as much as Lillard and Cardellini did. I saw her much more as Buffy with red hair. Freddie Prinze Jr. was horrible, god, the guy can't act, but that's old news.

I would have found it much funnier if Fred and Daphne stayed in the original costumes like Shaggy and Velma did. It would have made it much funnier.

I didn't like watchig the movie with five minutes of Scooby and Shaggy farting and burping. Also what was the point of throwing in that guy who was Velma's love interest? The guy was only in the movie for two minutes and yet he kisses Velma at the end. It really didn't have to be thrown in.

Also, I was dissapointed with Mary Jane at the end. I would have loved to see her as turning out to be a monster all along instead of turning back to her normal self at the end.

Scrappy was funny. I always hated him but he was pretty cool as the
the main villain
. I loved the "gland disorder" joke.

I hated the cameos. Pamela Anderson? I was like why her. I didn't get the poitn of Sugar ray either. Where is Don Knotts or the Harlem Globetrotters?

Id give it a 7 out of 10. Not the best movie, but not the worst.

RogueMartian

Cogito Ergo Sum
Well I usually hate scooby doo, so i was reluctant to go. But I was pleasantly surprised. Especially with the scenes with scrappy. I remember the first scene when they showed scrappy, i shouted out "oh no, the evil one" (don't worry, the theatre was filled with shouting kids, i didn't interrupt anyones viewing). How right I was though. I thought it was cool that the whole gang hated scrappy.

I really liked the last line:
"I would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for you meddling sons of [door slams in his face]"

Bobby Boy 101

Demi's Throttle
wow, the plot had just a little to be desired, but the casting was absolutely perfect and the CGI Scooby turned out aight.

Still, I was hoping for a cat-fight between SMG and Velma, but alas, that didnt happen.

I also think it would've been better if it had been rated PG-13 and they had left the other 'adult' scenes in there, but hey, who knows, maybe they'll make 2 DVD editions: a PG one, and a PG-13 one.

P.S. SCRAPPY SUCKS MAJORLY!!!!!! I CANNOT BELIEVE HE WAS IN THERE!!!!! O well, Im glad he was the bad guy and stayed true to his overly annoying character

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts