"Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this New "Scooby-Doo" Series!

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 2 15.4%

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

Votes: 1 7.7%

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out a new episode on the Boomerang streaming service!

bm4HVts.jpg
Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? - "Elementary, My Dear Shaggy!"
Episode Debut - July 18th, 2019

When Scooby and the gang are taking a tour of London, they run afoul of horrible screaming skulls of English legend! They team up with an eccentric man who claims to be none other than Sherlock Holmes.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Last edited:

wiley207

When they were driving backwards to avoid the Screaming Skulls, I heard what I initially thought was one of Hanna-Barbera's more obscure auto skid effects, but it turned out to really be the newer soundalike from the Premiere Edition library. That seemed like a tease...

When Sherlock tossed away his magnifying glass and let it break, I suspected something was fishy. He reminded me a little of this kooky guy from a mental hospital on "Inspector Gadget" who kept thinking he was famous detectives, including Sherlock.

Heh, that "Scooby-Dooby-Doors" gag where the gang suddenly appears in medieval costumes and such was random and funny!

Hehe, I was kind of pondering both suspects the gang and Sherlock would meet would be behind the Screaming Skulls! Another Scooby-Doo mystery I was able to figure out before the reveal!

It did somewhat remind me of the Scooby and Scrappy-Doo episode "The Night Ghoul of Wonderworld," except it was in actual modern-day London instead of a simulation of Victorian-era London. But Velma being Watson to Sherlock also happened in both episodes, too, along with involving the Crown Jewels. But it was still a fun romp!

Frontier

Staff member
Well, this was another episode where the "team-up" was a bit more dubious since the gang didn't really team-up with Sherlock Holmes but someone thinks and acts like Sherlock. At no point do they really disprove the notion that who they're dealing with is some kook who's pretending to be a fictional character. I guess they could do Batman, Urkel, and Wonder Woman but couldn't figure out a way to fit a real Sherlock Holmes in there :confused:.

Not often the gang ends up in jail, but I guess it gave them added weight to solve the mystery :ack:.

Velma really did enjoy being the Watson, even if the gang usually ends up being her Watsons in practice ;).

Shaggy actually having read Sherlock Holmes novels was kind of amusing. Reminded me of how in the live-action origin movie the gang all got closer after realizing they were fans of mystery novels :).

The Screaming Skulls were probably the most interesting ghost we've seen, at least visually, for this series :cool:.

Daphne's attempts at a British dialect reminded me of a Be Cool gag I think they did once with her :sweat:.

What would a London mystery be without the Tower of London and an attempted theft of the Crown Jewels? Even though they were never there to begin with :p.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Scooby Doo And Guess Who? "Peebles' Pet Shop Of Terrors"

Peebles was the Big Bad all along and the Ultimate Evil of the Magilla Gorilla show! We should have guessed!

I'd consider Wanda's adoption of Magilla a fitting conclusion to that show, but I don't feel like this fits that canon. As far as I remember, Magilla could talk. That's partly why he drove Peebles crazy.

Scooby meta jokes of note:

--I love everyone saying "Famous writer, actor, comedian Wanda Sykes!" in unison. This show is rubbing our noses in how much Scooby Doo sucks with that.

--"I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids... And Wanda Sykes... And Magilla Gorilla...." This show is REALLY letting us know it sucks.

--I love that Wanda disgustedly (and rightly in my mind) asks Velma if she's just going to go ahead and read somebody else's mail. It's a great joke because Velma does it every week, and in reality, it's not only a violation, in some cases it's a felony.

--My other favorite meta gag was Wanda and the gang shoving a shelf in front of the door... and the door opening inward, letting in the monster. This show knows exactly how to deliberately poke holes in the Scooby mythos. I picture these episodes written by people who used to nitpick the heck out of the plot inconsistencies when they were kids. These writers are equal parts lovers of Scooby Doo, and equal parts haters of him. And it's the hater part which is the selling point of the show for me.

The first week was great, the second week sucked, and the third week was great again. ****1/2.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter

AHOmcqL.jpg
Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? - "Ollie Ollie In-Come Free!"
Episode Debut - July 25th, 2019

When our mystery solving gang agrees to help Ricky Gervais with a haunted antique Egyptian statue of a cat, they find themselves embroiled in a confrontation with the ancient goddess Bast in mummy form!

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

wiley207

Now that I think of it, this short "Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?" theme song reminds me quite a bit of Futurama's Scooby-Doo spoof, "Bendee-Boo and the Mystery Crew," with a short theme song that lampoons the "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?" At times this series does remind me of that "Bendee-Boo" segment, especially with the whole guest star gimmick that gets referenced, and intentionally going for a limited animation look ala the original shows.
Anyone else also notice how in this series, the Mystery Machine has windows on the back doors?

Wow, the gang has already met the guest-star BEFORE the episode started. That's different! I guess this takes place right after the Sherlock Holmes episode, since they are still in London.

OK, I actually thought Ricky's joke about saving the fire extinguisher for his next birthday cake was rather funny, even his explaining the joke to Scooby and Shaggy.

When Ricky grabbed that guitar and started singing, I was hoping he'd make it into something like this 2009 "Sesame Street" sketch and freak out Shaggy and Scooby the way he freaked out Elmo!

I liked Ricky acknowledging Fred's new catchphrase, "Hold the phone." And as for criticizing Scooby's catchphrase just being "Scooby-dooby-doooo!" I thought Ricky would have noticed Scooby's tendency to say "Rikes!" or "Ruh-roh!" as a common exclamation.

It's interesting how this show is using more and more Hanna-Barbera sound effects, alongside the Treg Brown/WB effects and whatever Advantage Audio often uses. I even heard a few seldom-used effects at times, like in this episode when the cat mummy crashes into all the armor suits with a classic H-B "clangy metal crash." I was also quite surprised to hear that Jay Ward "oil spurt" sound often used for Squidward walking at one point during the trap sequence. But I wasn't surprised to hear those cliched "cat yowling" sounds from the Premiere Edition library that a lot of people on the Internet dislike ("Whiskers! Will you get out of here?! You're interfering with a search-and-rescue!")

Geez, is virtually every episode going to use the "Scooby-Dooby-Doors" device?
LOL at Shaggy's bad luck comment after they break all those mirrors!

I enjoyed Ricky commenting on how the gang never flat-out says who the bad guy is after figuring things out before catching and unmasking the ghost/monster, and Shaggy saying it's not how they do things. And Fred being jealous of Ricky setting up the trap amused me as well.

I'm not surprised by the cat mummy's true identity; these Scooby-Doo mysteries have been getting much easier for me to figure out. I also enjoyed Ricky telling the crook to say the "meddling kids" line. Ricky must have heard of the gang well in advance in the show's universe before meeting them, or maybe he learned quite a bit about them when they met before this episode took place. (Like I said, it opened with the gang and Ricky already hanging out together!)

It was a pretty amusing episode, overall!

Frontier

Staff member
Ricky Gervais was pretty much Ricky Gervais, albeit maybe a little more goofy then usual but always with a snappy remark or comment on what's going on ;).

IS Gervais as much of a cat person in real life? If so, I hope he gets along with them better then he gets along with Ollie :ack:.

I'm kind of surprised Gervais would go to the trouble of making a puppet of himself in his underwear :confused:.

So...was that assistant in on it, or was he just hired to run the store o_O?
Wow, the gang has already met the guest-star BEFORE the episode started. That's different! I guess this takes place right after the Sherlock Holmes episode, since they are still in London.
I was wondering if there was any continuity there given the shared setting.
I liked Ricky acknowledging Fred's new catchphrase, "Hold the phone." And as for criticizing Scooby's catchphrase just being "Scooby-dooby-doooo!" I thought Ricky would have noticed Scooby's tendency to say "Rikes!" or "Ruh-roh!" as a common exclamation.
Speaking of catchphrases, I'm surprised Velma didn't say "my glasses! My glasses! I can't see without my glasses!" after she lost them :rolleyes2:.
Geez, is virtually every episode going to use the "Scooby-Dooby-Doors" device?
LOL at Shaggy's bad luck comment after they break all those mirrors!
They have been using it a lot :sweat:.
I enjoyed Ricky commenting on how the gang never flat-out says who the bad guy is after figuring things out before catching and unmasking the ghost/monster, and Shaggy saying it's not how they do things. And Fred being jealous of Ricky setting up the trap amused me as well.
Ricky really seemed to enjoy lambasting all the established Scooby-Doo conventions but also couldn't stop himself from getting into it as well. He even kicked the gang out so he could do his own version of the Scooby-Doo ending :p.
I'm not surprised by the cat mummy's true identity; these Scooby-Doo mysteries have been getting much easier for me to figure out. I also enjoyed Ricky telling the crook to say the "meddling kids" line. Ricky must have heard of the gang well in advance in the show's universe before meeting them, or maybe he learned quite a bit about them when they met before this episode took place. (Like I said, it opened with the gang and Ricky already hanging out together!)
I think part of it is that the show is placing more emphasis on the guest star and the gang's interaction and less on, say, developing or establishing suspects aside from the bare minimum so it's more obvious who the culprit is.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Scooby Doo And Guess Who? "Elementary, My Dear Shaggy!"

Quality-wise that was average, but I'm recommending it anyways.

The dumpster-burger made me cringe enough to actually be angry, but I dug the Sherlock Holmes stuff, especially because they didn't bother trying to figure out the real explanation. That was unnecessary.

I also like that Shaggy and Scooby seem to be familiar enough with the Holmes literary canon to act out a scene from one of the books.

But the main reason I liked the episode is that the slow-motion climax on the bridge was so well-boarded and timed. The animation of this show is designed to look like it was made in the 70's. Scenes like that prove it was not. It was so good.

I liked this one. ***1/2.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter

gGYCwha.png
Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? - "The Scooby of a Thousand Faces!"
Episode Debut - August 1st, 2019

When a marble statue comes to life at a Greek museum, the gang becomes caught between a braying Minotaur and a sword-wielding Wonder Woman; teaming up with the Amazonian princess, the Mystery Inc. gang experiences a little rift of boys versus girls.

Comments?

Last edited:

wiley207

Wow, another cold open featuring the Mystery Inc. gang. I could get used to this!

It was neat seeing Fred working with Shaggy and Scooby like that; usually when they split up and someone accompanies Shaggy and Scooby, it's Velma (this is because back in the olden days, the writers found Scooby, Shaggy and Velma a lot more fun to write for than Daphne and Fred.)

Oooh, I like hearing the classic H-B and WB jet/rocket sounds for Wonder Woman's invisible jet. I was also surprised to hear the classic Mystery Machine engine driving sound used for this show's Mystery Machine in this episode; most newer Scooby-Doo productions don't use it (except for the pilot episode of "What's New, Scooby-Doo?" and those two "retro" direct-to-video movies from 2003.)
But seriously, with all the Treg Brown/WB sound effects showing up in this series, if only whoever the uncredited sound effect editor at Advantage Audio doing this show did the sound effects for "Wabbit"/"New Looney Tunes" instead of Robert Duran, then we would've gotten them being used with the Looney Tunes, instead of that small repetitive minuscule of H-B sound effects! I swear, someone at WB or Advantage Audio wants the sound effects switched for both franchises...

I called it; I knew who the minotaur was really gonna be!

I thought it was odd this episode was called "The Scooby of a Thousand Faces." You'd think with a title like that, it'd involve Scooby or someone else wearing various disguises...

Frontier

Staff member
Wonder Woman was the first DC Superhero guest star, and fitting this is probably one of the more action-packed episodes of the show. I thought the show had a solid take on her, even if they emphasized Diana's overconfidence and goofiness a tad more then I expected. It was really nice to hear Rachel Kimsey reprise the role here :).

I think this is the first time we've seen Kimsey's Diana fly the Invisible Jet. It was only name-dropped in Justice League Action :cool:.

Daphne interacting with Wonder Woman was funny considering she's voiced by Grey Griffin, who also regularly voices Wonder Woman ;).

Wonder Woman doesn't have much experience with teenagers? Well, she hardly ever interacts with Wonder Girl, so I guess it's not surprising :p.

I guess even Diana couldn't resist Scooby. I did love that scene where Scooby did a super-heroic speech and she only understood half of what he said. Same here :anime:.

I feel like the Gang probably should have been more upfront about the minotaur probably being a guy in the mask with how gung-ho Wonder Woman was about slicing him up. This never happens with non-sword Wonder Woman :ack:.

Jonwo

I feel like the Gang probably should have been more upfront about the minotaur probably being a guy in the mask with how gung-ho Wonder Woman was about slicing him up. This never happens with non-sword Wonder Woman :ack:.

Considering Wonder Woman has faced the likes of Cheetah and Ares, a minotaur on the loose probably isn't that far fetched for her.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts