"Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate & Discuss this New "Scooby-Doo" Series!

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

Votes: 1 33.3%

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
Tom Kenny voiced Funky Phantom back on Scooby Doo : Mystery Incorporated. As such, he's the third voice actor from that series to reprise their role in another project . Also, it's nice to see Frank Paur found work after Stretch Armstrong.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Pretty good episode, overall. It was nice seeing the Funky Phantom crew again (and in a more traditional way than what they did on Mystery Inc.). On one hand I was kind of annoyed by the two gangs arguing all the time. But it kind of made sense and thinking about it some more, I doubt they would have went with this dynamic if the episode was made during the classic era. There were some pretty amusing bits in here.

It was a pretty neat idea to claim Lincoln was the guest-star, I mean we knew Funky Phantom would appear as well, but the twist towards the end played out pretty well. Kind of predictable, but whatever. The mystery was fine, too. I think my favorite bit was the montage of the two gangs finding clues and solving the mystery in their own ways.

The ending was pretty hilarious. Speed Buggy already guest-starred on The New Scooby Movies (and I think he shared some screen-time with Scooby in the Laff-a-Lympics series as well), but this is a new continuity I guess. I would prefer it if this new show didn't re-use the same characters as guests from past projects, but I'd be fine with Speed Buggy (and any other fictional characters, like Batman) appearing later on.

The scene also reminded me of the ending to the cross-over with Johnny Bravo. :p

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Scooby Doo And Guess Who? "Revenge Of The Swamp Monster"

I have a feeling this is going to be very well-received. Not just by Scooby Doo fans, but by cynical people like me who disliked the original series so strongly. I personally loved Be Cool, Scooby Doo, but it was no doubt divisive. This is the bigger achievement, even if none of the characters are as memorable or as break-out as Daphne was on that show. But this is both a satire and a loving tribute to the original series. And the corny jokes are all told ironically, so it's as if Mike Tyson Mysteries were G-rated, and didn't star a convicted rapist, so you could actually enjoy it.

Where to begin? The designs shown online made people happy because they looked pretty old-school and traditional. What I didn't expect is that the show itself would be that way. The musical cues and score are very retro, and the animation, at least compared to modern Warner Animation is stiff, and a bit stilted, making it look very 70's. But unlike Be Cool, Scooby Doo, another modern Scooby project with underwhelming animation, I think they actually had to put in a lot of work for this. The animation actually looks WORSE than Be Cool Scooby Doo. But it would not surprise me in the least if it were actually more expensive. Usually when recent cartoons have tried retro animation in spoofs (Futurama is most notable for this) the animation is too nice to actually be authentic to the time period they are making fun of. But animation techniques have improved enough that it's possible to make a cartoon look like it did in the 1970's without having to spend a mint.

But let me clear, the reason I like the show isn't because it feels like the original series. I just admitted I hated that show as a kid, and I still do. What's the cool thing is that this series is what would have happened had they done the original show right. If the corny plot turns and jokes were actually a LITTLE funny at least, and the low-budget cel animation bright, instead of muddy and repetitive. I don't like the show because it's like the old show. I like it because it's like the old show if it were actually decent.

I think had Cartoon Network or Boomerang promoted this better, it could have been loved by kids. But even if that's true, I don't think they would ever be able to fully appreciate it. I missed out on the highly praised Mystery Inc, and am kicking myself in hindsight, but this is the first Scooby project I've seen that I think adults who grew up with the series will enjoy more than their kids. And I'm one of them. This is Scooby Doo done right for once. Kids today have it VERY good. *****.

wiley207

Jan 20, 2009
USA
The show has also gotten a TV-PG rating; the first Scooby show to do so
Yeah, a rating "Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated" should have gotten instead of "The Looney Tunes Show." Seriously, SD:MI was extremely dark, edgy and violent, very PG at times, but got away with a TV-Y7-FV rating. It was just like when Boomerang reran the very-PG "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home" prime-time animated sitcom H-B made in the early 70s, rating it TV-Y7 as well. Though for "The Looney Tunes Show," a simple TV-G would've fit just fine (though "Wabbit" DID get a TV-Y7 rating.)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Check out a new episode on the Boomerang streaming service!

Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? - "Peebles’ Pet Shop of Terrible Terrors!"
Episode Debut - July 11th, 2019

Scooby and the gang meet Wanda Sykes, who is helping save a bunch of animals up for adoption in a pet supply store. When a monster egg hatches, our heroes and Wanda must not only save the store and the animals, but their own lives!

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Last edited:
Reactions: Frontier

wiley207

Jan 20, 2009
USA
So Digital eMation is also now animating on the show. Not too surprising, since they've worked on every Scooby-Doo show since 2006, and all the direct-to-video movies since 2010.

It was unusual seeing Mr. Peebles without sclerae, but that was probably to match with how all the other humans lack sclerae as well (to reference the original Scooby-Doo shows' animation and designs.)

Geez, hearing that Warner Bros. teeth chattering in a Scooby-Doo cartoon reminds me of its' use on "What's New Scooby-Doo" and the Warner/Seven Arts cartoons.

("Not you! Get out of here!")
Perhaps whoever's doing the sound editing for this show (currently uncredited) should have done the sound editing on "Wabbit"/"New Looney Tunes" instead of Robert Duran. Then maybe there would've been more classic WB sound effects instead of H-B ones. (At least Advantage Audio's not working on the new "Looney Tunes Cartoons!")

Gee, I haven't seen Scooby freak out over the lack of Scooby Snacks so badly since that one episode of "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo!"
Heh, when Fred stopped the Mystery Machine in front of the pet store, I heard that classic Flintstones "auto skid" sound effect!
I also liked Bandit's brief cameo where he bit Shaggy's finger.
Scooby not doing something unless he gets the whole box of Scooby Snacks also reminds me of "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo"...

Ha! I KNEW Magilla Gorilla would make an appearance! Even if he was slightly redesigned in an Iwao Takamoto-esque look and made non-verbal here.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Wanda Sykes is the first celebrity guest star who I'm really aware of, and I think they did a solid job incorporating her character into an all-ages cartoon format. Is she really into animals in real life? Would be kind of cool if she was :anime:.

Man, I haven't seen Scooby Snacks this relevant since that one Be Cool episode. It's always been a major element of the franchise but it felt kind of phased out over the last decade or so, so it's nice to see it in use again :).

I wonder if this is going to be a trend that the Scooby Gang have pasts with the celebrity of the week. First Shaggy with Chris Paul, and now Scooby with Wanda Sykes :p.

What the heck was Bandit doing there? Was this before the Quests adopted him :confused:?

It wouldn't have been an episode set in Peebles pet shop without Magilla Gorilla. Sure, it was kind of weird that he couldn't talk like he normally does, but it was pretty awesome seeing them allude to him before his big heroic reveal to save the day :D.

Who would've seen Mr. Peebles as the culprit coming? I mean, it became more obvious over the course of the episode, but still. Somehow I'm kind of not surprised his frustration with Magilla would eventually drive him crazy enough to become a criminal. Although even in the end, Magilla still gets in his way :sweat:.

Wow, Magilla adopted? That's one longstanding Hanna Barbera status quo taken care ;).

Jonwo

Sep 27, 2009
London
This isn't the first time Magilla Gorilla and Mr Peebles have crossed over with Scooby Doo, they also appeared in Scooby Doo Team Up

The Sherlock Holmes episode should be interesting, I wonder if it's the real Sherlock or someone disguised as him?

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
This isn't the first time Magilla Gorilla and Mr Peebles have crossed over with Scooby Doo, they also appeared in Scooby Doo Team Up

The Sherlock Holmes episode should be interesting, I wonder if it's the real Sherlock or someone disguised as him?
Considering they already did a fakeout with Abe Lincoln, I hope it's the real Holmes :sweat:.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Scooby Doo And Guess Who? "A Mystery Solving Gang Divided!"

Uh, oh. Trouble brewing.

Episode two and I already see the fundamental flaw of the show, and something that might wind up killing it. If they ARE gonna do a bunch of Hanna Barbera crossovers (and Speed Buggy says they might) then characters like Mugsy are going to easily disprove the series' stubborn atheism. Wasn't that just the most awkward Velma resolution ever? Although they should have suspected something was up with Abe when he claims he cannot tell a lie. That's not actually his bit.

The Funky Phantom gang strike me as total jerks. And like Snagglepuss, Mugsy is NOT a character who has aged well. He's a cheap shot at mincing homosexuals. I'm astounded the show kept him as is.

Do you know what joke was sorely missing? Nobody pointed out that Elmo's name had been hijacked by a brightly colored puppet since the 1970's, and now basically no person or character can ever be named that again. You used to get Elmos quite often in fiction, particularly kids cartoons, whether Elmo the Elk from Eek the Cat, or the fact that on Darkwing Duck Megavolt's real name was Elmo Sputterspark. You just don't EVER hear that name anywhere else outside of Sesame Street anymore. You'll still see characters named Oscar, Bert, or Ernie, and even occasionally a Grover. But Elmo is now totally out of bounds for non-Muppet fiction. I'm surprised nobody brought that up.

The good news about Velma being disprovably wrong is that it makes me feel a little better about the frustrating resolution to Scooby Doo And The Curse Of The 13th Ghost. Not much, because that movie was a bit more ambiguous than this is about Velma's potential wrongness, but it's clear the idea that Velma is simply a fundamentalist zealot regarding science is consistent with that movie.

And can I just say that the series is approaching science wrong by doing that? The mark of science is that if you witness something that flies counter to what you've previously observed, you adjust the new data accordingly. Velma refuses to do that. And I think the series sort of misunderstood why Stephen Hawking praised them for their science-based rationality. He didn't really live to see the current series use actual ghosts, and Velma denying the scientific method in favor of her own biases and beliefs. I know he'd object to the idea of real ghosts on the show. What I think he'd object to more is the idea of the characters denying the real ghosts despite evidence to the contrary. Atheism and science are not actual belief systems, or at least they shouldn't be by people practicing them properly. And I think if the show is going to get sloppy with the premise, they are further insulting Hawking's sensibilities by having Velma deny it. They think they can have their cake and eat it too, but with science that simply isn't possible.

I loved last week. It amazing that I so strongly disliked the second episode. **.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Street Fighter EX was something you just had to live through.

While Spiderman Into The SpiderVerse made a significant profit, and is not a financial flop by any means, it's also the lowest grossing Spiderman movie.
Question for U.K. Toon Zoners. What the frack just happened?
Does anyone have Roblox? Mine is Yakkowarnerofficial.