"Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate & Discuss this New "Scooby-Doo" Series!

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

Votes: 1 33.3%

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? premieres today at 6pm ET on the Boomerang streaming service! Use this thread to discuss the new show!

Synopsis: The Mystery Inc. gang - Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby-Doo - are facing their toughest mysteries yet but have no fear because help is on the way! Each week, the gang is joined by a different, special celebrity guest and together, those "meddling kids" will get to the bottom of any mystery.

The premiere episode will feature NBA superstar Chris Paul as a guest, but he's not the only celeb joining in on the fun. Superhero staples Wonder Woman and Batman will be included in the series, as well as literary icon Sherlock Holmes, Abraham Lincoln's ghost and a slew of real-life celebrities. Sia, Ricky Gervais, Wanda Sykes, Whoopi Goldberg and more will pop up throughout the show's run. Don't miss these monster-sized mashups when Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? premieres.

New episodes will roll out weekly, with the season finale streaming on Thursday, September 19th. Starting in July, Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? will also air weekly on Cartoon Network in the US as well as roll out globally on Boomerang linear later this year. The series is produced by Chris Bailey (Kim Possible) and executive produced by Sam Register (Teen Titans Go!).

Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? - "Revenge of the Swamp Monster!"
Episode Debut - June 27th, 2019
Written by - Michael Ryan
Directed by - Jae Kim

Scooby-Doo and the Mystery Inc. gang meet up with basketball legend and bowling aficionado Chris Paul at a golf tournament fundraiser held in Florida. Shaggy's come to caddy for Mr. Paul and help him with this game so the Assist King can save a local school from going under. But when a horrible Swamp Monster attacks trying to destroy the charity event, our heroes and Mr. Paul must finish the tournament and save the school, and possibly their own lives!

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Other relevant links
:
"Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?" News & Discussion Thread

Last edited:
Reactions: Frontier

wiley207

Jan 20, 2009
USA
Oooh, so Yeson Entertainment is doing overseas animation, the same studio responsible for overseas animation on these...
YESON 3.jpg
yeson.jpg
yeson 4.jpg
(This also means that now do they not only have the same sound editors as "The Fairly Oddparents," but the same Korean animation studio!)

And still no Hanna-Barbera logo at the end, compared to the Wacky Races revival. I guess it's official; Scooby-Doo is no longer an H-B property to Warner Bros...

wiley207

Jan 20, 2009
USA
Ooooh, love how the opening theme uses the same tune as the "Where Are You?" theme!

Shaggy pulling the fire alarm was amusing, even if they just used a school bell-like alarm; very few schools in the USA use bells as fire alarms nowadays, as many have replaced them with the modern electronic horn/strobe units. I also noticed a red light coming on when the bell started ringing; I guess their fire alarm system is so old it uses incandescent signal lights instead of modern strobes (I know one of my schools did.) Hopefully they didn't get in trouble with the fire department for doing that!
It did use a few more H-B sound effects than "Be Cool, Scooby-Doo," but it still sounded more like an episode of "The Fairly Oddparents" instead of a Hanna-Barbera cartoon, complete with one of those overused 1990s stock thunder effects (again, I don't think Advantage Audio really knows how a Scooby-Doo cartoon should sound.)

Overall, not that bad a start, but it still gave me these "Night of the Living Doo" vibes.

cheril59

Mar 9, 2015
Oooh, so Yeson Entertainment is doing overseas animation, the same studio responsible for overseas animation on these...
YESON 3.jpg
yeson.jpg
yeson 4.jpg
(This also means that now do they not only have the same sound editors as "The Fairly Oddparents," but the same Korean animation studio!)

And still no Hanna-Barbera logo at the end, compared to the Wacky Races revival. I guess it's official; Scooby-Doo is no longer an H-B property to Warner Bros...
Yeson also did Duck Dodgers, Baby Looney Tunes, and Class of 3000.

Did I also mention that Advantage Audio worked on the second season of The Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries?

wiley207

Jan 20, 2009
USA
Yeson also did Duck Dodgers, Baby Looney Tunes, and Class of 3000.

Did I also mention that Advantage Audio worked on the second season of The Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries?

Yeah, I will say Yeson is a pretty versatile animation studio, working on all those different types of series.

As for the Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries, yep, I remember Advantage Audio working on a handful of second-season episodes. But for Scooby-Doo stuff, I would rather go with Atlas Oceanic Sound & Picture, DigiPost.TV or Hacienda Post for sound editing. And at least Advantage Audio's not working on the new Looney Tunes Cartoons, from what I saw. (The two shorts I saw had the sound editing done by Warner Bros. Post-Production Services, and used several classic Treg Brown effects but also some Cartoon Trax/Disney effects. But that's for another topic!)

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Man, there was so much retro about this premier:
  • The classic Scooby-Doo theme returning with new lyrics, and they incorporate the flying bats into the intro to boot.
  • The gang is obviously all in their classic designs again. The animation is different from the animated films but I think it works fairly well here.
  • Just the idea of a Scooby-Doo show based around him teaming-up with celebrities. They even do the celebrity title car like they did for the New Scooby-Doo Movies.
  • The convention from the New Scooby-Doo Movies where the celebrity ends up paired with Scooby and Shaggy for the majority of the episode.
  • The scuba gear is the exact same design as it was in the original series, although I think Daphne's was colored purple then.
  • "There's no such thing as monsters!" Well, usually it was "there's no such thing as ghosts" which Velma would say almost 90% of the time on the old cartoon.
  • The hallway gag and how the gang hid from the Swamp Monster in the art school.
I love the riff they did on the "You Meddling kids" line, where first they can't even hear the guy say it and then the culprit at the end says the most out-of-the-box variant yet ;).

I wasn't even really aware of Chris Paul going into this so I can't say I had much excitement for this team-up, but I thought it was decent. I think performance-wise he had the same issue a lot of Basketball stars do where they don't "act" as well as the other VA's, but he was still serviceable. I also liked how instead of going for the obvious for the basketball game they had him playing golf so he could have art school students play bowling (outside) :p.

Swamp Monster? Don't you mean Swamp Thing :rolleyes2:?

All the suspects for the Swamp Monster were kind of obvious, which I guess explains why they went for the culprit who they set up as the least obvious. I don't think this is the first time Phil LaMarr's played a culprit in a Scooby-Doo cartoon, but I can't for the life of me remember what other time it may have been him :confused:.

I also liked how they didn't just suddenly portray Chris Paul as an expert golfer. Especially on that final putt, although I've totally been there :sweat:.

thomas2313412

Nov 9, 2011

Actually scooby doo is still a hanna barbera property along with tom and jerry and the rest of hte classic HB cartoon characters except that it's merged with warner bros. Hence why you cant see the hanna barbera logo in the end but at least it can be shown in direct to video properties.

Ooooh, love how the opening theme uses the same tune as the "Where Are You?" theme!
Come to think of it ,I like it too ,I like that the theme is and the old sequence from the first scooby doo series scooby doo where are you is used for the intro especially that it looks updated though I wish it could have been used for a complete reboot of the original series but still I think that the scooby doo and Guess who is a nice reboot /update to the new scooby doo movies especially that it has meta reference spoken by the guest stars

Mordecai626

Madridista
Sep 23, 2014
So many call-backs to old Scooby Doo series.
  • The door chase scene in the underwater cave
  • "We have another mystery on our hands"
  • "I would've gotten away with it too"
  • "No such thing as monsters"
And etc. I'm also digging the classic designs. Can't wait to see what more guests will appear.

Also, Chris Paul tweeted about the episode too. He was glad to be able to appear as himself in the show.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
The gag where Shaggy, Scooby , and Chris Paul pretend to hold a class and the former 2 have an immature drawing of the Swamp Monster reminds me of the gag in the season 1 finale of Be Cool Scooby Doo, where Shaggy and Scooby hold a class to get away from the Toxic Monster. That's always been one of my favorite gags from the series.

wiley207

Jan 20, 2009
USA
Actually scooby doo is still a hanna barbera property along with tom and jerry and the rest of hte classic HB cartoon characters except that it's merged with warner bros. Hence why you cant see the hanna barbera logo in the end but at least it can be shown in direct to video properties.
Nope, the direct-to-video Scooby-Doo movies this decade don't have the Hanna-Barbera logo anymore either (yet the Jetsons WWE crossover movie did). And it wasn't on the cover of the "Scooby-Doo: Apocalypse" comics either. I joked about it last year that now that Warner doesn't consider Scooby-Doo a Hanna-Barbera franchise anymore, they exchanged a certain later Looney Tunes character to take his place...

Jonwo

Sep 27, 2009
London
Nope, the direct-to-video Scooby-Doo movies this decade don't have the Hanna-Barbera logo anymore either (yet the Jetsons WWE crossover movie did). And it wasn't on the cover of the "Scooby-Doo: Apocalypse" comics either. I joked about it last year that now that Warner doesn't consider Scooby-Doo a Hanna-Barbera franchise anymore, they exchanged a certain later Looney Tunes character to take his place...
It is odd really because the upcoming Scoob movie has Dick Dastardly and Captain Caveman as characters.

thomas2313412

Nov 9, 2011
Well for me scooby doo will always be a Hanna Barbera property anyway

Last edited:
Reactions: RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
I don't really have much to say but I liked this premiere. It's nice seeing a more classic approach to the show again even if I did enjoy the newer, more drastic interpretations prior to this. The guest-stars angle is pretty cool and there's a lot of potential there. The comedy works for the most part and the mystery was decent.

I don't know much if anything about Chris Paul (and I presume there will be a lot of other stars I am not familiar with, but to be fair the same thing happened with The New Scooby Movies, the first time I watched that show). I was expecting the episode to focus more on basketball given the guest-star but whatever.

The monster had a pretty cool design but the resolution felt a bit weird. There were too many suspects and none of them really interacted with the gang (unless I'm remembering things wrong) outside that caddy and it was kind of obvious. Not that the classic Scooby shows were that much more intriguing or less predictable, but they at least had the gang suspect more people throughout the episode rather than comedic one-liners as they did here. But it's kind of a minor complaint I guess.

I didn't care too much for how Chris Paul saved Shaggy's life, either. It was amusing but I think it would have been better if they never showed what exactly happened and left it up to each viewer's interpretation. But again, a minor complaint and I admit it was a pretty funny gag and stayed in-character with Shaggy's personality.

But for me, the biggest laugh was probably the case they were solving at the start of the episode, for which we didn't really get any kind of context. As well as the unmasking, which debunks my theory the trailer might have spoiled an upcoming episode. :p

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
The monster had a pretty cool design but the resolution felt a bit weird. There were too many suspects and none of them really interacted with the gang (unless I'm remembering things wrong) outside that caddy and it was kind of obvious. Not that the classic Scooby shows were that much more intriguing or less predictable, but they at least had the gang suspect more people throughout the episode rather than comedic one-liners as they did here. But it's kind of a minor complaint I guess.
I think the only other suspect who actually had any lines was the old lady running the art school :sweat:.

wiley207

Jan 20, 2009
USA
They also animated Ed Edd n Eddy and Family Guy.
Yep, which is why I showed a screencap from a "Family Guy" episode they did in my initial post about Yeson. They animated a LOT of "Family Guy" episodes I liked!

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Check out a new episode on the Boomerang streaming service!

Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? - "A Mystery Solving Gang Divided!"
Episode Debut - July 3rd, 2019
Written by - Mark Hoffmeier
Directed by - Frank Paur

Scooby-Doo and the gang travel to Chambersburg, a battlefield near Gettysburg, to investigate the mysterious appearance of ghost zombie Civil War soldiers and come face to face with a rival mystery solving gang, the Funky Phantom crew.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Last edited:

wiley207

Jan 20, 2009
USA
So like I said, back in May I wrote a Scooby-Doo fanfic where they meet the Funky Phantom crew and team up to solve a mystery. I had no idea "Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?" was going to have an episode with basically the same premise, except in mine the mystery is different, and the idea came to me after watching some episodes of "The Funky Phantom" and noticing the many similarities with the old Scooby-Doo episodes.

So Tom Kenny voices Mudsy again. If Warner ever has Snagglepuss appear in animation again, I wouldn't be surprised if Kenny voices him as well. (Though Snagglepuss is still considered part of the H-B family by Warner, unlike Scooby-Doo!)
I wasn't surprised to hear that H-B "Tube Take" sound effect used, given that Advantage Audio used it on virtually every episode of "Wabbit"/"New Looney Tunes"... Speaking of which, in this episode they use the Treg Brown/Warner Bros. teeth chattering sound effect for Scooby and Shaggy, yet they never used it in "New Looney Tunes?" (Instead they'd use the H-B teeth chattering in that show.) What are those Advantage Audio editors on? But I did enjoy hearing those classic H-B magic sound effects uses for Mudsy, Boo and the Lincoln ghost. (The original "Funky Phantom" used these bizarre twangy sounds for the ghosts, since post-production was done in Australia.)

I wasn't that big on Skip acting like a jerk. That's more like Augie's thing. (At least in my fanfic, I kept Skip true to his character.) And in my fanfic, I didn't make Velma skeptical about Mudsy like she was in this episode; I instead made her react in a manner like young Velma did to a real ghost in that "Pup Named Scooby-Doo" Halloween episode.
It was amusing seeing both gangs argue a lot; in my fanfic I kept the arguing to a minimum, though, and made them more willing to work together.

LOL at Daphne commenting she hates the "head them off at the pass" cliche!
I knew they were going to joke with the "meddling kids" line involving both teams, especially since I've heard the Funky Phantom crew called that in at least one episode of their show...

LOL at the Speed Buggy gang cameo at the end!
Overall, a fun episode, but I still like my crossover fanfic better.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I love how that teen girl was so not into it but still had to take a picture of the ghosts with her phone ;).

This really wasn't much of an Abe Lincoln episode as much as a team-up between the Scooby Gang and the Funky Phantom crew. They didn't even actually meet the real ghost of Abe Lincoln! Although I guess they had to advertise someone a little more famous then the Funky Phantom and friends :sweat:.

I was never the biggest Funky Phantom fan but I'd have to think someone who was a fan of the property would be a little off-put by their portrayal in this episode. Aside from Mudsy they really did come off like jerks compared to Mystery Inc., up until they let the rivalry get in their heads as well :ack:.

I haven't re-watched the Funky Phantom in a while but the new voices sounded fairly accurate to how I remembered their voices back then, especially Tom Kenny as the titular Phantom. I was also impressed by Kate Miucci sounding so different from normal voice as April. I didn't even realize it was her until she got some more lines :).

I'm not surprised the gang stuck to Mudsy being a fake ghost till the bitter end, no matter how unlikely it seemed by the end of the episode :rolleyes2:.

That Speed Buggy cameo at the end was perfect :p.

Ah, our first "Scooby-Dooby-Doo!" ending :D.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Any news about the "Magia Record" anime?
Please stop blaming "Teen Titans Go!" for any cancelation of a Cartoon Network show.
Why did SDCC have to happen during the same weekend as Vinesauce Is Hope?
With how widespread the Joy-Con analog drift issue is, I'm honestly surprised I haven't had that issue yet. I've had my console for almost two years.
Is Nick doing anything for SDCC