Saturday Morning What-Ifs to Go Crazy On

Latest News & Videos

Tacomaster

The point of this thread is to make up what if scenarios for Saturday Morning cartoon blocks and channels. Example:

In 2001, after losing the rights to the previous Fox Kids library to Disney, Fox teams up with 4Kids Entertainment to create FoxBox, a 4-hour block programmed by 4Kids, to replace it. It premiered in 2002. In late 2004, plans to relaunch FoxBox as "4Kids TV" are scrapped when DiC Entertainment cancels their current syndication deal in order to supply FoxBox with programming- in particular, E/I content. FoxBox's relaunch instead occurs with the FoxBox name intact on January 22, 2005, expanding FoxBox to a six-hour block on both Saturdays and Sundays, from 7 AM to 1 PM. The first hour and a half of programming of both blocks consists of E/I programming primarily from DiC's library, while the remaining four and a half hours being a mixture of programs from both 4Kids and DiC's library. Due to this, when CBS split from Viacom in late 2005, and Nickelodeon stopped programming for the block in 2006, programming for the CBS block went to Corus Entertainment-owned Nelvana, who had previously programmed CBS's Kidshow block in the late 90s. Qubo is also affected, as Nelvana was one of the original distributors for the Qubo block. In 2008, Cookie Jar Group acquired DiC Entertainment, and their programming was added to the block, including Dark Oracle and MagiNation. In 2011, 4Kids filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and the rights of multiple shows- and their share in the FoxBox block- was transferred to Saban Brands. In 2012, FoxBox was relaunched again, with Saban shows such as Power Rangers added to the lineup. On September 6, 2014, FoxBox is shut down, and is replaced the following week by Steve Rotfeld Productions's Xploration Station, an E/I-exclusive block oriented at teenagers.

Zorak Masaki

This is more of an older one, but what if Filmation stayed in the Saturday Morning market in the 80s (After Gilligan's Planet and Blackstar in 82, they went exclusively to the syndicated market)? Would He-Man, She-Ra, Ghostbusters, and Bravestarr move to Saturday Mornings? Would the company be able to stay afloat?

Tacomaster

This is more of an older one, but what if Filmation stayed in the Saturday Morning market in the 80s (After Gilligan's Planet and Blackstar in 82, they went exclusively to the syndicated market)? Would He-Man, She-Ra, Ghostbusters, and Bravestarr move to Saturday Mornings? Would the company be able to stay afloat?
I was more thinking your own answers to your own questions, but I don’t think He-Man and stuff would survive on network, as syndication can get away with more content like the He-Man stuff.

The point of this thread is to make up what if scenarios for Saturday Morning cartoon blocks and channels. Example:

In 2001, after losing the rights to the previous Fox Kids library to Disney, Fox teams up with 4Kids Entertainment to create FoxBox, a 4-hour block programmed by 4Kids, to replace it. It premiered in 2002. In late 2004, plans to relaunch FoxBox as "4Kids TV" are scrapped when DiC Entertainment cancels their current syndication deal in order to supply FoxBox with programming- in particular, E/I content. FoxBox's relaunch instead occurs with the FoxBox name intact on January 22, 2005, expanding FoxBox to a six-hour block on both Saturdays and Sundays, from 7 AM to 1 PM. The first hour and a half of programming of both blocks consists of E/I programming primarily from DiC's library, while the remaining four and a half hours being a mixture of programs from both 4Kids and DiC's library. Due to this, when CBS split from Viacom in late 2005, and Nickelodeon stopped programming for the block in 2006, programming for the CBS block went to Corus Entertainment-owned Nelvana, who had previously programmed CBS's Kidshow block in the late 90s. Qubo is also affected, as Nelvana was one of the original distributors for the Qubo block. In 2008, Cookie Jar Group acquired DiC Entertainment, and their programming was added to the block, including Dark Oracle and MagiNation. In 2011, 4Kids filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and the rights of multiple shows- and their share in the FoxBox block- was transferred to Saban Brands. In 2012, FoxBox was relaunched again, with Saban shows such as Power Rangers added to the lineup. On September 6, 2014, FoxBox is shut down, and is replaced the following week by Steve Rotfeld Productions's Xploration Station, an E/I-exclusive block oriented at teenagers.
How about this? What if Fox Kids airs as a 5-hour Saturday Morning block to compete with Disney's One Saturday Morning and Kids' WB!. Fox Kids stopped, but Fox Box still a 5-hour block and add Hamtaro to the mix.

Tacomaster

How about this? What if Fox Kids airs as a 5-hour Saturday Morning block to compete with Disney's One Saturday Morning and Kids' WB!. Fox Kids stopped, but Fox Box still a 5-hour block and add Hamtaro to the mix.
Neat idea. I was thinking of shortening the new FoxBox to five hours, from seven to noon.

JoeMabbon

Pokemon Trainer
I've always wondered about the Toonami Rising Sun block. What if Toonami evolved into a Saturday Morning block as opposed to a Saturday night block?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Oooh, I've got a good one. What if ABC and Fox Kids were still airing Saturday and weekday afternoon cartoons? What could we expect from the Disney / Fox merger?

Tacomaster

I've always wondered about the Toonami Rising Sun block. What if Toonami evolved into a Saturday Morning block as opposed to a Saturday night block?
Good one. Maybe they wouldn’t have died as quickly?
Oooh, I've got a good one. What if ABC and Fox Kids were still airing Saturday and weekday afternoon cartoons? What could we expect from the Disney / Fox merger?
Well, they’d probably have some E/I in the lineup- 3 hours a week. ABC would be Disney reruns. If Fox still had the Fox Kids library and Fox Family, it’d probably just be Fox Family reruns. If not, or after the Disney/Fox kerger, 4Kids or Vortexx.