"Sandman" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this season

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 1 100.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It is never only a Dream

sandman.jpg

After years of imprisonment, Morpheus — the King of Dreams — embarks on a journey across worlds to find what was stolen from him and restore his power.

All episodes released on August 5, 2022

Episode 1 "Sleep of the Just"

Written by Neil Gaiman, David S. Goyer, Allan Heinberg and Directed by Mike Barker
While searching for an escaped nightmare in the waking world, Morpheus falls prey to Roderick Burgess, an occultist looking to summon and imprison Death.

Episode 2 "Imperfect Hosts"
Written by Allan Heinberg and Directed by Jamie Childs
Morpheus begins his quest to find his tools of power — his sand, ruby and helm — by paying a visit to a pair of notoriously dysfunctional brothers.

Episode 3 "Dream a Little Dream of Me"
Written by Jim Campolongo and Directed by Jamie Childs
Morpheus tracks down the last-known person in possession of his sand — and receives an unexpected lesson on humanity. Ethel pays a visit to her son.

Episode 4 "A Hope in Hell"
Written by Austin Guzman and Directed by Jamie Childs
A lead on the whereabouts of his helm compels Morpheus to seek an audience with Lucifer. A confused John receives a helping hand from a good Samaritan.

Episode 5 "24/7"
Written by Ameni Rozsa and Directed by Jamie Childs
With Morpheus caught off guard, John settles in at a diner to watch the people around him — and put his theory about truth and lies to a terrifying test.

Episode 6 "The Sound of Her Wings"
Written by Lauren Bello and Directed by Mairzee Almas
Feeling a bit rudderless, Morpheus shadows his hard-working big sister, who offers him advice and encourages him to reconnect with an old acquaintance.

Episode 7 "The Doll’s House"
Written by Heather Bellson and Directed by Andrés Baiz
Lucienne comes to Morpheus with disturbing news. Rose Walker goes in search of family. Admirers of the Corinthian's work scheme to get his attention.

Episode 8 "Playing House"
Written by Alexander Newman-Wise and Directed by Andrés Baiz
As Morpheus closes in on one of his missing creations, Rose ramps up efforts to locate her brother — and unwittingly makes a friend's dream come true.

Episode 9 "Collectors"
Written by Vanessa James Benton and Directed by Coralie Fargeat
Odd disturbances shake up The Dreaming, Rose sets out on a road trip with a new friend, and The Corinthian arrives with a guest at a creepy convention.

Episode 10 "Lost Hearts"
Written by Jay Franklin and Directed by Louise Hooper
As the Dream vortex grows more powerful and the walls between the realms weaken, Rose must make a difficult choice. Morpheus confronts The Corinthian.

Related Threads
-Sandman News and Discussion Thread
-Vertigo News and Discussion Thread
-Constantine Season 1 Talkback
-Lucifer Season 1 Talkback
-Lucifer Season 3 Talkback
-Lucifer Season 4 Talkback
-Lucifer Season 5 Talkback
-Lucifer Season 6 Talkback
-Swamp Thing Season 1 Talkback
-DC Showcase Death Talkback

External Links
-Sandman on Netflix

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Sandman "Sleep Of The Just"

That was interesting and intriguing. I haven't read the books, but going by their reputation I expected that. What pleasantly surprised me is that it was satisfying. It actually told a complete story within the hour, which is quite unusual for serialized fare. Usually they expect us to live and die by the cliffhanger. But if this was going to remain the only episode I ever watched, I'm grateful I got a whole story out of it to properly sample things. That's something I very much miss about genre television. ****.

The Sandman "Imperfect Hosts"

I have to say I love this take on Cain and Abel. They are both cosmically tragic and weirdly lovable. Abel's wishes for a nice family sort of broke my heart. The Gargoyle was cute. Cain claims Gargoyle names should begin with a "g". Like say, Goliath. That actually checks out.

The dream world vistas seemed so familiar to me and I was wracking my brain trying to figure out where I've seen them before. I know! MirrorMask! Duh! The other big Gaiman project I have actually seen. Granted, the budget here is much higher, and the world so much richer, but that's what it reminds me of all right. ****.

The Sandman "Dream A Little Dream Of Me"

The good thing about Joanna Constantine is because Jenna Coleman is a woman, she doesn't have to deliver a performance anything like Matt Ryan's, which we'd invariably compared a male actor negatively with. This take feels new and different enough Ryan isn't on my mind much.

Ethel's plan to sacrifice her life and immortality to protect her son would be a good one... If he weren't actually a sociopath. He gets it from his father, no doubt.

I like Constantine calling Morpheus on his crap after he doesn't want to help ease Rachel's suffering. Talking back to deities and giving them the business is Constantine's entire selling point.

Female Lucifer Morningstar coming up. Buckle up. ****.

The Sandman "A Hope In Hell"

Riveting stuff.

I was rooting for Rosalie to survive her ordeal with the bowel leech that is John, and I was delighted he showed her a surprising bit of kindness at the end. I live for tension exhales to go the right way in genre. They don't usually. Neil Gaiman is a special creator. (Although he wasn't as kind to us in the next episode).

Gwendoline Christie's Lucifer Morningstar is entirely different than Tom Ellis. For one thing, she strikes me as far smarter. It wouldn't shock me if she orchestrated that fight herself. Also her threat to keep Dream in Hell means she is a liar, also entirely outside of the Tom Ellis version. TV's Lucifer is not evil and merely punishes it. Sandman's version is much darker.

I found the role-playing-type battle between them creative, poetic, and literate. It was smart television, and as a scene of violence, that is unusual. And as dishonorable as Lucifer ultimately is, even she cannot bear to destroy hope. I haven't read the books, but if this adaptation is a tenth of them, I get why they are beloved. There's just too many of them for me to get to right now. The premise is super interesting. *****.

The Sandman "24/7"

I hated that. Full stop. It was dark, violent, depressing, and upsetting. I did not want to sit through that. It sucked. The show is usually more measured and this was like a horror episode. I found it entirely distasteful. I hated it with a passion. 0.

The Sandman "The Sound Of Her Wings"

Most of my reviews for the series haven't been TOO lengthy but I think I have some extra things to say about this one.

One of the coolest things about the show, (and I guess the franchise), is that it's not merely an ongoing serialized story. It's also an anthology that tells a different story of the week every episode / issue. I like that about it. Sometimes (like the last episode) that can make it suck. Here the premise and execution is amazing instead.

Death has gotten some criticism for being portrayed by a black woman here. She's supposed be be white (and a Goth). I think the change that ultimately hurts the character isn't done for diversity reasons, but rather of practical necessity. But the fact that Death is a woman and not a little girl takes away a big part of the concept's appeal. That DC Showcase animated short a few years back knocked my socks off because that idea was so funky, off-beat, and beautiful at the same. But it is inadvisable to cast children as ageless immortal characters if you plan the show to last longer than a season. They'll age out of the role fast and then the producers are screwed. Maybe making the character a white and Goth adult would make her seem a bit more familiar to fans, but the actual appeal of the character would still not be present.

That being said, Death is still pretty cool. Her stuff was by turns moving and dreadful. I was near bawling at the scene with the baby. What an awful job. And what an amazing person to have the bedside manner for it she does for the past few million years.

I love the anthology this week. I love the dude that loves life, and when Morpheus expects him to tell him how tired he is of living, he says he still can't get enough, and can't wait to see what comes next. And finally centuries later, when the guy has been at a low-point and living in poverty, loneliness, and infamy for the past 80 years, and Morpheus offers to end his suffering, it's just perfect he's like, "Are you crazy? I have so much to live for!" This one guy refuses to abide the moral Aesop's Fables insist he must learn.

It gets better. During their second-to-last meeting the guy accurately says that Morpheus probably understands by this point he's never gonna give up the Immortality gift. He suggests Morpheus sticks around instead because he's lonely and they are friends. And Morpheus gets all huffy and "How dare you?" because Morpheus is a very annoying person with an overinflated sense of self-worth. And the guy tells Morpheus if he sees him again in 100 years, it's because they're friends.

And the guy is disappointed Morpheus apparently ghosted him in 1989. He's lucky he didn't take back the Immortality gift, but he clearly decides Dream doesn't actually consider him a friend after all. But flashbacks remind the viewer Morpheus was actually imprisoned during their planned meeting, and the end of the episode is Morpheus catching up with the guy years later out of season because, yes, they're friends. And I love every inch of the parable because the person learning the lesson is Morpheus rather than the Immortal schlub. That's pure genius and I love it.

That right there is a story created by and told by a person who loves telling stories. Full stop. Those are the best kinds. Always. *****.

The Sandman "The Doll's House"

I love that at this point in the series, it's no longer actually about Sandman. I think that's the selling point of the anthology format.

I very much enjoyed Rose Walker's story. I love her wacky neighbors in the boarding house, and I loved the fact that the social worker treated her like a real person when she frustratedly points out that the end point of actually making contact with her brother could wind up with him being her dependent at age 21. I like that a lot. Gilbert is awesome too.

Who is the pumpkinheaded dude voiced by Mark Hamill? I have no idea who he is or why he showed up, but it's a fun character.

I am very unsure about the gathering of "collectors". On paper, a society of serial killers is a fun and dark high-concept. In practice, it's probably super cringe and Edgelord. We'll have to see if I'm right, but I remain skeptical about this specific thing, especially seeing as it's being played for laughs. I have serious doubts about this.

The rest of the episode was great though. ****.

The Sandman "Playing House"

Rose Walker's stuff was great, especially her scenes with Hal (although Hal's dream was alarming).

I have to say Morpheus' d-bag behavior at the end is indefensible. There is a reason I find the character annoying and don't like him.

The stuff was Jed was pretty tense too.

It was solid but Dream is a buttmunch. ***1/2.

The Sandman "Collectors"

Oh, my God, that last shot! The absolute worst thing about the Corinthian telling Rose he was safe with her is realizing he's probably telling the truth. Have we been rooting for the wrong people all season? Is Rose Walker's only actual hope of survival and a future with her long-lost brother a loose consortium of serial killers? Both Morpheus' despicable actions to Lyta and Gilbert's shocking reveal as Fiddler Green, say yes.

And yes, that was a great and unexpected reversal for Gilbert. Well played.

I can't have been the only person getting serious vibes from The Witches from that convention, could I?

Holy crap! The convention of serial killers are the good guys? What the hell?! ****1/2.

The Sandman "Lost Hearts"

I was very glad the last few seconds of the last episode were a mislead. I would very much have hated having to root for the Corinthian and the Collectors after all.

I see why they didn't use Tom Ellis as Lucifer Morningstar now. Lucifer's role here is entirely different, and it wouldn't fit Ellis' Luci canon at ALL. Makes sense now.

I am not pleased with Dream's action during this episode, but the one just punishment he handed down was making the serial killers feel the proper level of guilt and pain they should have over the fact that they all sucked. I wish that was a real-world sentence a court could hand down. It's something convicted sociopaths all seem to desperately need and never get.

It was solid and reasonably satisfying, with some good loose ends for a potential season 2. I liked it. ****.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
You watched all of that already?! Was it easier to just watch it all in a row because the pacing was good?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
You watched all of that already?! Was it easier to just watch it all in a row because the pacing was good?
I watched all of it in one day so tomorrow will be entirely free for Gilda And Meek. My sleep schedule is erratic and I wanted to get this out of the way.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
8/6: Episode 1 Sleep of the Just

Was curious how they would condense this into 1 episode. Not surprised they cut out all of when Alex then Paul led the Order (glad they did, the order just degenerated into a sex cult) and changed up that Sykes never betrayed Roderick Burgess and ran off with Ethel but it was in fact Ethel acting on her own. It makes a lot more sense and palatable of a story that Alex accidentally killed Roderick in a fit of rage and later in life Paul smudges part of the circle on purpose. I think they put the Corinthian fromthe start and fashioned him as the villain plotting behind the scenes to make sure Dream can't finish him off but in the comics, he showed up later.

Episode 2 Imperfect Hosts

Glad they kept in Cain and Abel, even mentioned both the House of Mystery and House of Secrets. I think it's the first time they showed up together in animation or live action. In the past, it's been one or the other. No wait, I think they both showed up in the Lucifer series. Eh, well the versions on this show were more 1:1 to the comics. Great casting and acting.

Episode 3 Dream a Little Dream of Me

Makes sense they pushed Ethel and John's scenes to occur parallel to Dream and Constantine. In the comics, pretty sure Ethel and John were in Imperfect Hosts. Also, naturally not surprised they stripped out any mention of the Justice League having the ruby in the comics and instead changed it to John having hid it somewhere I guess. But was surprised how much of the Newcastle incident was kept in, Astra, and references to Constantine supporting cast. And they played it pretty vague but may have to rewatch it but I think they changed it to John being at some nondescript high security institution and not Arkham like in the comics. Really glad they kept in Constantine calling Dream on his b.s. and he giving Rachel a merciful death but giving her a happy dream as she dies then taking care of Constantine's nightmare.

Really digging this adaptation so far! Only real nitpick is Patton Oswalt being the voice of Matthew took me out of it a little but who else would you get to voice a raven?

Who is the pumpkinheaded dude voiced by Mark Hamill? I have no idea who he is or why he showed up, but it's a fun character.
Mervyn Pumpkinhead. In the comics, he was Dream's grumpy janitor.

8/7: Episode 4 A Hope in Hell

Love this version! So much more meaningful that in this version, Dream takes on Lucifer in combat whereas in the comic it was the demon who had the helm. Love that moment when Dream says he is hope and Lucifer realizes who the winner is.

Episode 5 24/7

Can you imagine in the comic, the New Gods and Justice League were involved? But the main point is there, John was biased and misusing the ruby. Still such a downer and pessimistic world view and sure when power falls into the wrong hands.

Episode 6 The Sound of Her Wings

Yes! This was one of my favorite Sandman stories. After everything, Dream is still so self-important and even Death tells him to snap out of it in her own way. Then we have the second half being the parable with the immortal man. Death is quite the clever cookie. Always will be my favorite portrayal of the character.

Scheming Desire. With the Corinthian? With Lucifer? Hmm...

8/8: Interesting way to adapt the Rose arc which was I think around 6 or 7 issues. Here they kinda shuffled a few things around but made a for a coherent and dare I say a better version. Makes sense why they placed Men of Good Fortune with the immortal before this final arc this season whereas in the comic it happens amid the Rose arc. That's right, Despair and Desire were the conspirators. Boy, would it be scary if they teamed up with Lucifer. At least Dream is like 1% of a butthead at season's end and defers to Lucien after apologizing.

Pretty neat seeing the DC characters referenced in Jed's dream. And I was wondering with Lyta Hall (Fury in the comics) and Hector Hall (one of the Dr. Fates).. well his ghost showing up if they were gonna lead to the birth of a child and lo and behold. He has an interesting future in the Sandman comics.

Overall, a very loyal adaptation yet put its own unique and better spin on the source material.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Sandman "Dream Of A Thousand Cats / Calliope"

Dream Of A Thousand Cats:

An animated episode? Nice.

Both the set-up and the premise lead me to question the reality of the Mistress' story and claims. Everything about it screams Tall Tale (or is it tail?).

The drowning of her kittens was truly sickening. Maybe the reason she believes the dream she had is real is because she needs it to make sense of that specific horror.

I'm trying to understand Morpheus' role in all this, and if his involvement makes her dream more or less likely to be true. But even if it is, as the older cat chuckles to the younger about the likelihood of her mission becoming a reality, "Who can ever get 1000 cats to agree to do anything at the same time?" ****1/2.

Calliope:

I found the premise awful, and the most horrific thing about it is that it could be confused for a fairytale premise in another franchise. How different is Calliope's imprisonment from Belle's from Beauty And The Beast? The fact that the story takes the idea seriously and attaches reality and consequences to how horrible it is admirable.

I think my favorite thing about the segment is that Maddoc has billed himself as and describes himself as a feminist. I don't know if that is in the written work, but I suspect it isn't. I think the show is using that idea to take a direct shot at Joss Whedon, who claimed similar enlightenment, and while perhaps not treating women THAT horribly, he had no self-awareness of how badly that specific flaw of his comes across after describing himself as such.

I thought Frye (played by Derek Jacobi) was pretty vile. His convincing Maddoc that this is what the Muses were made for is infuriating, because it's self-evident it is not. It it were, since there are only 9 Muses, there should only be 9 writers on Earth at any given time. The fact that this obvious fact never occurs to Maddoc and he rationalizes it away instead erases whatever sympathy I could have found for him at the end.

Morpheus telling Calliope his suffering in captivity was nothing compared to hers gives the audience the proper context for her torment, and about what has actually been going on that we didn't see.

That was a very dark fable about good and evil that takes a clear moral stand, and the right moral stand about it. I thought it was great. *****.

Episode Overall: *****.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yes, if you read a lot of the Sandman comics this bonus episode would feel really familiar. Stories that barely have the title character in it yet when he does show up, his impact is that much more stronger. Both Dream Of A Thousand Cats and Calliope are really something Gaiman does from time to time and comment on his own craft, in this case different aspects of story. Cats deals with what I think was how reality and dreams are not that different, it hardly stays the same for a time until belief changes it. Thought it does come off as a weird story, first of all sentient cats and one in particular who processes trauma by seeing truth in a dream. Achieving the dream was the prophet's goal but she takes just as solace in inspiring hope in the kitten, i.e. the next generation and keeps the story alive in away. Idk, it was always a loopy story that always has a different angle to it if you tilt your head.

Also of note, pretty neat that a lot of the Sandman Audible cast lent their voices here in the cast in new roles like James McAvoy as the human prophet, Michael Sheen as Paul the kitten killer, Tennant as Don the kitten owner, and Gaiman himself as Morpheus' crow. Nice surprise that the cat prophet was voiced by Sandra Oh. I hope if there's a season 2, we may see them all in different roles. on the show.

"Calliope" - well the dark side of the creative process shown here by abuse. Thankfully, they handled the implied repeated rape of Calliope as delicately as humanly possible. And with this story, as well as the whole season, the staff did a really good job of adjusting what wouldn't have flied for a TV show but yet it's not a total 180 from the source material. While Richard Madoc I would say is one of the series' most deplorable characters, and Arthur Darvill portrayed him very well, Morpheus' action against him encapsulated his season 1 journey quite well - not sure if that was the intent of this adaptation being the last episode of the season - still vindictive but he's changed a little, like his empathy for what Calliope went through in her captivity and saying it was much worse than what he went through. Morpheus and Calliope's scenes were perfect I thought, former lovers who still cared for each other, when Morpheus reveals he forgives her, but still very guarded about their son Orpheus and his fate yet leaving the door open to truly talk about it later on. Still very different than when he encountered Nada in Hell earlier in the season. I'm sure the old Morpheus would have left Madoc overwhelmed with ideas. And then on top of that, the Fates basically told Calliope they can't help her and Morpheus won't show up because he's got his own problems and because of their shared tragedy, so when he does show up, that's like hope restored in the audience and in Calliope leading into the ending. "Calliope" was a stronger and true season finale.

Road to Gotham

1st Season was very good, B+.
Episode 6 was my favorite 50 minutes of TV of the year so far. "Sound of Her Wings".
Also nice seeing some DC Characters: Cain & Abel, Hector & Lyla Hall.
Never thought I would the 70's Sandman costume created Joe Simon and Jack Kirby in live-action
but here was Jed Walker a supporting character from that series wearing it. COOL!

1661209799726.png

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I heard Max is giving Scavengers Reign to Netflix. Maybe they'll do more with it over there than Max did.
My reaction that TeenNick is airing more cartoons than live-action.

Quoted for the truth!
PLuto LEGO now is airing LEGO Friends: Next Chapter. Disney channel former recently aired this before.
It bugs me how when you say Looney Tunes, most people jump to the 50's Chuck Jones shorts as the default. I'm not trying to throw shade at Jones; he was great and the 50s LTs were great, but the 40's shorts shouldn't be overlooked; they're that much better IMO.

Featured Posts