Samurai Champloo - Series Edit Lists

KarlOlson

Art Imitates Life
Staff member
Reporter
Brent Long said:
Brent Long Edit Lists Presents:
Samurai Champloo - Episode 1 - Tempestuous Temperaments - Edit List

Video Edit #1: Geneon splash logo sequence added at the beginning. This sequence is presented on the DVDs before the menu loads up and not before the show itself as presented here. Length - 12 Seconds.

Video Edit #2: "Presented by Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc." screen added after the splash logo sequence and before the opening. On the DVDs this was presented after the splash logo sequence and before the menu loads up. Length: 7 Seconds.

Audio Edit #1: Record scratching sound effects played over Jin's "****"

Video Edit #3: Fade out placed right before commercial break. Originally this just went straight to the bumper without a fade or any sort of transition.

Video Edit #4: First bumper cut - Length: 2 Seconds.

Video Edit #5: Second bumper cut - Length: 2 Seconds

Video Edit #6: Fade in placed right after commercial break. This originally just went right from the bumper to the 2nd half of the episode.

Video Edit #7: The closing credits are sped up as per usual with Audlt Swim. You can tell this by how fast Fuu's hair flies in the wind and how fast the waves rush against the shore where these things originally went more slowly. Unlike most other Adult Swim shows these credits aren't generalized and are episode 1 specific. Next week's episode will prove if these are going to be episode specific for the whole run or if this credit sequence crediting episode 1 characters will continue for the whole run.

Audio Edit #2: Closing credits' audio cut first 57 seconds to accompany the video being sped up. The last 7 seconds are also cut off and a fade out is added at the end.

So in other words, there was really only one edit of any note (everything else being technical coddling to put it on TV,) namely the language edit, and that was pretty much expected. And in fact, the record scratch bleeps are a cool way to handle it.

I think Kyle will be happy about this. Granted, in talking with him, he didn't think there would really be much to edit content-wise in this episode anyway outside of language. He figures the bigger challenges will be a bit farther down the road.

True Noir

From all those Geneon logo things added in the beginning, you could really tell they are trying to get there name out there.

Brent Long said:
Audio Edit #1: Record scratching sound effects played over Jin's "****"
So this was the real edit.
Side Note #5: Some of you may have noticed a little bit of Bebop reunion in this episode particularly. Matsunosuke Shibui, or the Prefectural Governor was played by Beau Billingslea who played Jet Black on Cowboy Bebop. Mugen is played by Daniel Andrews also known as David Lucas who played Spike Spiegal on Cowboy Bebop. Fuu is played by Kari Wahlgren who played Haruko in FLCL.
Ha! I knew it. Awesome cast indeed.

The Landstander

Thanks ants. Thants.
For simplicity sake

Just so we don't have an overflow of edit list threads, why don't you just keep this as the general Samurai Champloo edit list thread? Just bump it whenever needed.

guinaevere

agent provocateur
justifty this, jack.

Brent Long said:
Could a mod please place a PG-13 in the threasd title and change back the Jin's "****" to what it originally was. Considering how many four-letter words there are in the English language people could become confused as to which word was censored.
haha. No.

From the TZASB&WS: Rules
K.) So since this is the AS board, I get to swear all of the time, right? Yay! Swearing is cool!

blah blah blahdiddy blah... REMEMBER: NOTHING WORSE THAN WHAT YOU HEAR ON AS.

NickMB

SwimOverlord
Brent Long said:
Well, I've found a healthy alternative by stating that it was the s-word right after. I've updated my list to match.
I don't know why that was censored. IIRC the word was said on Lupin III without it being censored.

herbkir

info-maniac
All the stuff that was left in for this episode forms a pretty liberal interpretation of the TV-14 standard. A coupla years ago, this episode would have been heavily edited if it even got on at all. (^_*)

Crimefighter

Brent Long said:
Could a mod please place a PG-13 in the threasd title and change back the Jin's "****" to what it originally was. Considering how many four-letter words there are in the English language people could become confused as to which word was censored.
If there are people who don't know what the s-bomb is, they've been living in a cave.

shoujoaifan

Karl Olson said:
So in other words, there was really only one edit of any note (everything else being technical coddling to put it on TV,) namely the language edit, and that was pretty much expected. And in fact, the record scratch bleeps are a cool way to handle it.
Its editing.....with style.

i miss katy

dangly parts
Brent Long said:
Mugen is played by Daniel Andrews also known as David Lucas who played Spike Spiegal on Cowboy Bebop.​
What are you talking about? I'm sure it's just a third guy who sounds exactly like David Lucas. :sweat:

G1Ravage

That's way too complicated. Why don't you try my method? Watch the episode on your uncut DVD, and take note of things that *might* get edited. Also, pay attention to the scenes, and perhaps write down a little "storyboard", just in case something gets cut for time. Then, watch the AS tape, and with the uncut version fresh in your mind, you'll notice immediately if anything was edited.

It's always worked for me in the past.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts