S:TAS "The Prometheon" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate This Episode

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 1 2.4%

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 7 16.7%

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • **1/2

Votes: 3 7.1%

• *1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Here's the talkback information for tonight's stellar installment of Superman.

01.jpg

Episodes #27 The Prometheon
Original Airdate - September 12th, 1997.

A giant humanoid creature with incredible strength and heat-sapping abilities, falls to Earth and now threatens the planet. Superman has to fight the creature's advances and send it back into outer space.

Comments?

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member

At first I was afraid this episode was going to be some unexplained big thing going around wrecking stuff, thankfully I was pleasantly surprised.

Charles Napier delivers in his first appearnace as General Hardcase like he always does. Napier does a great job with military men like the first two Austin Powers movies (Commander Gilmour/General Hawk) and this was no exception.

The plan to stop the creature was very well thought out and I really liked seeing it put into practice.

I won't be ranking "The Prometheon" among my favorites, but it was still pretty good.

JTurner954

Paradigm City, USA
3 stars.

Another Superman episode I didn't like (yikes, two in a row). I'm not really into the whole "giant (insert creature name here) destroys city" thing.

One major nitpick I have: The creature leaves the asteroid (Those alien creators obviously aren't smart) and just happens to fall into Metropolis?? :rolleyes: Oooook.

The ending felt weak where he's just frozen and that's it. The whole episode just seemed too far-fetched. Animation is good like usual, but overall I felt ripped off.

susan123

Definitely not one of my favorite episodes. The whole premise seemed weak. The high point was the introduction of General Hardcase; it made his next appearance in "Legacy" more appropriate.

Zoddman

Made for your pleasure
5 stars. *****

C'mon, people! Superman fighting a big Jack Kirby monster. This episode reeks of geeky cool. Kudos to those crazy animators in Tokyo who know how to animate a Jack Kirby monster and make it look like a Kirby drawing.

Brainiac

You've forced my hand.
Another okay episode--better than "Monkey Fun," but not one of the best overall. It was fun to watch, and kept me interested. The plot was a bit tired, but I liked how the plan was orchestrated to defeat the monster/robot. The only question I have is did they just leave it there frozen? I'm assuming that somehow Superman sent it back into space.....

-Brainiac

Marc

Friend from another star?
4.5 stars

Prometheon was a fantastic episode! This is how Superman is supposed to be. Dealing with otherworldly threats, facing a nearly unstoppable foe.

One major nitpick I have: The creature leaves the asteroid (Those alien creators obviously aren't smart) and just happens to fall into Metropolis?? Oooook.
Well of course he's gonna fall into Metropolis. This is a Superman episode after all. ;) If this were a Green Lantern show, then he'd fall into Coast City. But seriously, Metropolis is one of the largest cities on the planet, and therefore has an incredible heat output; I'm sure the Creature could sense that and guide himself towards it.

The only thing that keeps Prometheon from 5 stars is the ending. Surely that lake will thaw out and then what? Superman could just bind the creature to a new asteroid like he did with Doomsday and hurl it back into space, but who knows?

Charles Napier as General Hardcastle was great, and Frank Welker as the Creature was terrific. Welker is a voice acting legend and he never ceases to amaze me as to his limitless talents.

They should bring back the Prometheon for Justice League. Have an army of the creatures attack Earth, give the heroes a threat that's worthy of their skills. It might even make JL watchable for once.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I don't know why - but I really dig this episode. I always found it great for repeat watching and just seeing Superman tackle a huge other worldy creature is just great fun. Plus, the sequence where the asteroid is blown up just shows how good TMS is. This is just a fun 'Superman VS [Insert Big Monster]' episode, and it's great! I like the concept and design of the monster, very Kirby-esque.

Livewire

The Electrifying Member
Jim, of course I don't mind. :)

"The Prometheon" had some incredible animation. I guess I just wasn't too interested in the story, although my interest began to mount towards the end as I watched Superman try to lure the creature into the water.

The friction between Generel Hardcastle and Supes can easily be felt. It's quite apparent that the General holds a lot of animosity towards the Man of Steel.

I wish we could have seen how Supes dealt with the creature after it had become frozen, but I guess that'll just have to be left to the imagination. "The Prometheon" recieves 3 stars from me.

Karkull

Eldritch Lord of Chaos
Staff member
I really liked it. It's pretty obvious that the Prometheon was based on Jack Kirby's Celestrials from The New Gods, but it was pretty appropriate considering how much of Superman was already Kirby-influenced.

I really liked General Hardcastle, but he would have been more interesting if he made more appearances during the series. Are we to believe that the military had nothing to say about Superman flying around all the time? He would have made a great ongoing adversary.

Nightwing

WF Old Man
[color=00FFFF]Ah! Well this one is getting 5 stars from me, because I had no idea there were viewers who thought even the slightest bit less of it! I've been watching Batman and Superman for years, and not only was the story very cool, and the animation great, but as Zoddman says, it's a geek feast.

It should also be noted how cool it was to see Metropolis at night for most of the episode. That helped convey the darker mood of the episode. Awesome! :)[/color]

MILatino

=/\=
Re: S:TAS "The Promotheon" Talkback (Spoilers)

Originally posted by Jim Harvey
Superman #27 The Prometheon - A giant humanoid creature with incredible strength and heat-sapping abilities, falls to Earth and now threatens the planet. Superman has to fight the creature's advances and send it back into outer space.

It was very well done... almost like the monster movies of the 50s, down to the military getting in the way and the indefinite ending.

BTW, he didn't send it back to space.

Only two pet peeves:

It just happened to land in Metropolis? Oh, PUL-EEZE.

If that creature really robbed heat from everything, everything that came in contact with it should have frozen solid... very similar to Smallville's "freak of the week" who went around robbing heat from things and people. He also should've made the air temperature fall causing wind disturbances due to warm air rushing to him and transferring its heat to him.

JusticeLeagueLegion

Samantha is a hottie!!
Re: Re: S:TAS "The Promotheon" Talkback (Spoilers)

Originally posted by MILatino
It just happened to land in Metropolis? Oh, PUL-EEZE.

What's so rediculous about that...when an object falls...it has to land somewhere! Superman just happened to land in Smallville, Kansas as a baby, and technically it didn't "land" in Metropolis...thanks to Superman it landed a few miles out into the Atlantic.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
It just wouldn't be Superman if Metropolis wasn't threatened by various asteroids and hulking space monsters on a weekly basis. :) Ya gotta admit, the design for this monster was very Kirby-esque and looked really good, actually. A monster with one simple goal, to feed.

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
"The Prometheon" airs tonight

Tonight at 1:30 a.m. ET Cartoon Network airs the Superman: The Animated Series episode, The Prometheon.

04.jpg

Episode #27 - The Prometheon
Original Airdate - September 12th, 1997.

A giant humanoid creature with incredible strength and heat-sapping abilities, falls to Earth and now threatens the planet. Superman has to fight the creature's advances and send it back into outer space.

Comments?

randomguy

Came, liked Ike, and left.
I love this episode. It's just a real solid example of a 50's-style giant monster story. Kudos goes to the animation team, which accomplishes something very difficult to do in a cartoon- communicate scale. Not for a second do you forget how sheerly massive the titular creature is. Fun stuff.

Fernus

Abraham Sapien
Not bad. Not bad at all. It ended a little fast, but an over all good episode. ***1/2.

Best part, though, was General Hardcastle, and it was his best performance yet, even better than "Legacy" and "Secret Origins". It would be nice for him to show up in a future JL episode, considering he hates aliens, and about half of the League are aliens.

Weibart

Intercept Now!
Reporter
wow was that a kirby style monster. beautiful. the animation was so fluid: the meteor exploding, everything! great ep for the art alone. way to go TMS!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts