"S.C.O.O.B." (Animated Scooby Doo theatrical movie reboot) Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
It was announced today in WB's CinemaCon presentation. A 2018 release is planned with a possible Hanna-Barbera cinematic universe spinning out of it.
Most intriguing of all is S.C.O.O.B., a Scooby-Doo reboot slated for 2018 directed by Tony Cervone. In an announcement video, S.C.O.O.B. was described as “our first shot at unlocking the whole Hanna-Barbera Universe,” implying that the long-term plan is for the Scooby-Doo reboot to lead into a whole series of linked franchises based on the cartoons of William Hanna and Joseph Barbera.

jaylop97

Staff member
Interesting, looks like HB might just become its own thing, like DC and Marvel of couse wonder if that means that other shows that were made by HB are to follow in WB direction, because this could be something that can do wonders for them.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
that's a lot of cinematic universes from one studio:
-DC superheroes
-Harry Potter
-giant monsters
-Lego
-and now HB

wonder what that acronym, SCOOB, stands for.

Frontier

Staff member
Man, everything has to be a shared cinematic universe these days :shrug:.

It's one thing to do a shared Hanna-Barbera universe in the cartoons, and it wasn't out of the ordinary for the properties to crossover with each other (Laffy-A-Lympics), but to do it with movies? Especially given the success (or lack there of) of past movie adaptations of Hanna-Barbera properties o_O?

Though hey, the upcoming DC Hanna-Barbera comics seem to be going in a similar direction, so maybe this might work :sweat:?

S.C.O.O.B. has a feeling of a government project or a kind of group/organization.

SweetShop209

Now I am more intrigued for the film. There hasn't been a single Scooby Doo movie that's disappointed me. I look forward to this.

hobbyfan

Sounds like this ties into Scooby Apocalypse. Seems as though Scooby is getting a makeover he doesn't need. Just a guess.

Dudley

Staff member
I look forward to it. It's about time they delve more into the Hanna Barbera library, and make an animated movies for theaters with them. I don't know what kind of cinematic universe they have planned, since Scooby-Doo is in the middle of their more cartoony stuff (Yogi Bear) with their more realistic shows (Jonny Quest), so it can be like some kind of world saving team or the Laff-a-lympics. Either way, I'm excited.
Also, despite the numerous DTVs and being one of HBs most successful series, Scooby Doo never had an animated film released in theaters, so it's nice that that's finally happening.
Can't wait to see what they look like in CG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeanBurrito25

I just realized that if a Hanna Barbera Cinematic Universe really takes off from this movie, it's going to share the same acronym with "historically black colleges and universities", which will make things really awkward really fast...

But uh yea I'm interested in seeing a teaser or preview image of some sort.

Last edited:

DeanBurrito25

Okay. Looks promising. One question--how do you pronounce the title, is it "Ess see oh oh bee" or "Skoob"?
Pretty sure it'll be pronounced the way it's spelled and not as an acronym.

Same goes for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, which is what I'm sure the title of this movie is a slight reference to.

lunadraws94

Turning this forum's head since 2016!
Man, everything has to be a shared cinematic universe these days :shrug:.

It's one thing to do a shared Hanna-Barbera universe in the cartoons, and it wasn't out of the ordinary for the properties to crossover with each other (Laffy-A-Lympics), but to do it with movies? Especially given the success (or lack there of) of past movie adaptations of Hanna-Barbera properties o_O?

Though hey, the upcoming DC Hanna-Barbera comics seem to be going in a similar direction, so maybe this might work :sweat:?

S.C.O.O.B. has a feeling of a government project or a kind of group/organization.
Shared cinematic universes are the new film franchises. Every studio wants their own Marvel Cinematic Universe, and they want their own Marvel Cinematic Universe NOW. They need to delve into their strong library of properties, like what Warner Bros. has a huge benefit in boasting, in order to compete in some fashion with the ever-growing behemoths that these franchises become.

S.C.O.O.B. does seem as if the Mystery Inc. gang will be having a new mission and a new outlook.

Dudley

Staff member
Maybe SCOOB. Is the origins of a new team led by Mystery Inc, where they go solve mysteries throughout the HB universe meeting various HB stars along the way. Maybe they'll start off by meeting other teen sleuths like Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels, Speed Buggy, Clue Club, Goober and the Ghost Chasers, etc.

Dr.Pepper

Why the acronym? I hope this does well because it would be nice to see other Hanna Barbara properties get rebooted.

Dudley

Staff member
Kinda reeks of desperation, doesn't it?

If you got a crap ton of IPs like Time Warner has, you might as well used them. I'm glad they're making the effort to do something with the HB characters. A vast amount of characters that have been mostly ignored and underused for a long time.

hobbyfan

Maybe SCOOB. Is the origins of a new team led by Mystery Inc, where they go solve mysteries throughout the HB universe meeting various HB stars along the way. Maybe they'll start off by meeting other teen sleuths like Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels, Speed Buggy, Clue Club, Goober and the Ghost Chasers, etc.

If they take their cues from DC, I'd say go all the way and do a Scooby-Justice League movie. Just as long as Sholly Fisch isn't writing.......

ToonJay723

Staff member
Sad that Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, and Powerpuff Girls can't be included in the universe.

Eggy

Sad that Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, and Powerpuff Girls can't be included in the universe.
It's because they were Cartoon Network original shows while the other HB cartoons weren't so they are owned by Warner Bros. Animation.

ToonJay723

Staff member
It's because they were Cartoon Network original shows while the other HB cartoons weren't so they are owned by Warner Bros. Animation.
I know. That's why I said it was too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts