"S.C.O.O.B." (Animated Scooby Doo theatrical movie reboot) Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooky

Staff member
He didn't go into much detail but suggested
that it falls into a lot of the stereotypes of a "bad" and\or generic 21st century animated film, for example he says there is a "dance party" at the end

He also didn't care for Will Forte as Shaggy, and has never been a fan of Welker's Scooby

dth1971

Will Warner Bros. either consider a new release date this month or next or decide to take it streaming on demand/HBO Max this month or next?

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Will Warner Bros. either consider a new release date this month or next or decide to take it streaming on demand/HBO Max this month or next?
For sure Warners will announce a new theatrical release date soon. The date should at least, in my opinion, be sometime this fall.

Eldorado

I would really, REALLY hate it if this movie goes the way of Minions 2 and just when we were THIS close to it being released it gets pushed back to next year!!!

Light Lucario

Staff member
If they're really set on getting this movie released in theaters, they may have to do that. Maybe theaters will be able to reopen later this year, but they'd probably have a better chance if they wait until next year.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
If they're really set on getting this movie released in theaters, they may have to do that. Maybe theaters will be able to reopen later this year, but they'd probably have a better chance if they wait until next year.
I heard Cinemark (and every other theatre) plans to reopen in July, so hopefully SCOOB! will still come out this year.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I heard Cinemark (and every other theatre) plans to reopen in July, so hopefully SCOOB! will still come out this year.
They plan to reopen then, but given the nature of the situation, there’s a chance that won’t happen.

Light Lucario

Staff member
They plan to reopen then, but given the nature of the situation, there’s a chance that won’t happen.

Exactly. It's really hard to plan things ahead of time right now, especially for something like theaters reopening. Theaters by nature involve large groups of people gathering around in rooms for hours and they would not be able to clean the rooms out sufficiently between screenings. It's really not a good idea to rush open theaters when that could easily lead to more people getting sick. It is a rough spot for everyone to be in.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
It's not happening.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
I'm sorry, but I'm actually happy about this news. Yes, it's disappointing that this film won't get theater exposure, but if theaters really aren't going to be open for another year or more, putting off the film indefinitely is just going to make people more and more stressed. Movies and television are two things that are keeping people sane right now, and having every theatrical movie postponed until who knows how long will take away some needed "escape."

I really hope they do this with Sponge on the Run.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
I'm sorry, but I'm actually happy about this news. Yes, it's disappointing that this film won't get theater exposure, but if theaters really aren't going to be open for another year or more, putting off the film indefinitely is just going to make people more and more stressed. Movies and television are two things that are keeping people sane right now, and having every theatrical movie postponed until who knows how long will take away some needed "escape."

I really hope they do this with Sponge on the Run.
AMC (and Regal supposedly) is planning to reopen in June, and Cinemark is planning to reopen in July, so please stop thinking that they will be closed until 2022! People will be more and more stressed if they are closed until then! Also, Sponge on the Run is already scheduled for August 7.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
AMC (and Regal supposedly) is planning to reopen in June, and Cinemark is planning to reopen in July, so please stop thinking that they will be closed until 2022! People will be more and more stressed if they are closed until then! Also, Sponge on the Run is already scheduled for August 7.
I will repeat what I told you a few days ago:

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'm somewhat surprised they're going the On Demand release route, if only because of this possibly being the start of another cinematic universe, but it's obviously for the best. As much as theater owners want to reopen as soon as possible, it's just not a viable option. Movie theaters involve a large group of people sitting together in one room for hours and there's no way the employees can clean the theaters in between showings or alter the sittings so that people aren't sitting so close to each other. I know that people like going out to the movie theaters and plenty of movies are designed with that in mind, but it is not a good or safe option right now. Movie theaters can always reopen later. I don't think that the On Demand release format will completely wipe them out, especially when people do miss going to the theater now. But lives are irreplaceable.

Putting the movies On Demand at least gives people the chance to watch something new right away in the safety of their homes instead of waiting until who knows when for a theater release. It might also provide the studios to get back some money instead of waiting on the movie for an unknown amount of time, although I'm not sure if it would be enough to make back what they spent on this movie or allow them to make a sequel if they do want to go that route. Still, the priority here should obviously be to keep people safe, happy and healthy. Releasing the movie On Demand at least gives people a chance to look forward to something new and potentially help them to keep calm in the mist of this situation.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I support OnDemand releases of movies during the outbreak, but I also think that studios need to pace themselves as to when to release them. If they release them all at once, and the pandemic lasts awhile, we'll literally have no new material for a few years. I think the May release is too soon, even if I agree that they should bypass theaters.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
This was clearly a calculated, risk-averse decision. It makes sense. This movie did not look very good. The trailers bad with a lot of pop cultural jokes that are already dated.

The movie already has a budget of about $84 million. They can save on not releasing it in theaters. This was not a bonafide hit. The last theatrical Scooby-Doo movie was the live-action sequel in 2004.

Sony Pictures had success with Smurfs, but after the sequel failed, they tried to reboot the franchise with a CG animated feature, which also flopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts