Rooster Teeth's RWBY

Dudley

Staff member
Don't mean to bump up an old thread, but just wanted to let everyone know that Season 3 concluded today.

For those that stopped watching the series, I recommend giving it a second chance, the animation once again improved, and there are plenty of awesome action scenes. It's great to see that with each season they're able to earn money to allow them to go bigger and better the next time around.

rmarti3926

Enforcing galatic law
This time it's darker and more drama oriented than the past goofy seasons.

Hypeathon

Don't mean to bump up an old thread, but just wanted to let everyone know that Season 3 concluded today.

For those that stopped watching the series, I recommend giving it a second chance, the animation once again improved, and there are plenty of awesome action scenes. It's great to see that with each season they're able to earn money to allow them to go bigger and better the next time around.
So I honestly didn't even realize this thread was bumped within the past month until just now. While I remained an avid fan of the show (for reasons that may not be shared by most other fans), I gave up on seeing if any attention would be given to the webseries on Toonzone. It didn't help either that throughout volumes 1 & 2, the show got ridiculed constantly among anime critics everywhere on the internet. But I'd figured I throw my two cents as to why I found the show worth sticking with.

Now I understand the value of wanting good quality in storytelling and animation and what-not. So I get how much of the show came off as not having redeeming value as some critics stated. That being said, I'm realizing that I don't have it in me to be very judgmental and dismissive towards what I watch. It feels as if I'm not spending enough time seeing how a piece of entertainment can grow and improve over time, which is one thing I find appealing about art. It's also why I like to read some long-running manga. I find it fun seeing a manga artist make adjustments in the way he/she draws characters, backgrounds and panels to further develop skills he/she didn't not acquire much prior.

With RWBY, it's the same thing and is why I don't believe money plays as much of a factor into the show's increasing visual quality as you might think. I mean, it might in some ways but I've yet to hear anything from Kerry, Miles or Gray in interviews or their livestreams that have proven this to be the case. They have recruited a few more animators and background artists to help make the aesthetic stand out more so that might have involved a bit more money. But otherwise, my understanding is that they wanted to take their time making as many scenes as they could feel right between the animations and the motion capture. In Kerry and Miles's interview of chapters 1 & 2 of volume 3 on Afterbuzz TV, they were asked a question about how they approached writing the opening scene where Ruby visits her mom's grave and it went on to talking about their approach with the overall jump in quality working on volume 3. For me it makes sense considering how much of the non-fighting character animation in volume 1 felt awkward and I assumed said animations were done by motion capture with not as much takes. Though I would argue on some level, that awkwardness provided a sense of charm to the show since the main character herself, Ruby Rose, was first introduced as coming off very awkward when she's not combatant.

Another factor that makes RWBY appealing to me is how it's able to exist economically-speaking. As fond as I am of American animation and its industry, there are some practices that I don't care for. Much of the practices understandably make good business sense such as a network airing a show that gets consistently good ratings every other time a given week or cancelling a show that may not. But what if you're not a fan of said show that airs all the time on said network but you're instead a fan of another show that doesn't air often enough and won't air often enough? And what if you're not part of the demographic the network aims towards? What if one show just needs good ratings to get more seasons while another show specifically needs to sell merchandise? The children's TV network model can make a lot of business sense, but it doesn't always translate to the individual viewer who wants to be entertained the way they want to be entertained which sometimes can make for a frustrating TV viewing experience.

Roosterteeth's way of handling RWBY seems to bypasses that TV business model altogether and it works for them. Even though they're the exception to the rule, it at least shows there can be alternate ways to getting a project going that can be beneficial to both the creative folks as well as the viewers. At least that's my perception of it.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"Viz Media Rescues RWBY From Rooster Teeth Collapse"​

rwby-volume-7-trailer.jpg

"We reported last month that Warner Bros had shut down the animation studio Rooster Teeth after 21 years of operation — not all those years were under WB ownership, but that’s the risk you take when you let yourself get eaten by a huge corporation that sees you as a number on a ledger. The silver lining, we learned today, is that not everything RT produced is dead.

With Anime Expo came the announcement that the studio’s flagship series, RWBY, has now been picked up by VIZ Media and will continue under their banner. Series co-creator Kerry Shawcross came on stage to reveal the show’s rescue."

Read the full article here.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Haven't watched RWBY myself outside of the Justice League crossovers, but this is good news for the fans and Viz makes sense as a rescuer, since the show is very anime-esque and Viz, obviously, specializes in anime/manga.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Question: What is it about animation that always keeps you coming back for more even sometimes bad movies/shows?
What was your first instance of being hyped for something.

For me it was the Phineas and Ferb episode "Act your Age"
If I could actually love, I would love everyone of you. Thank you.
This has been a wild weekend.
nickatnite.com and nick.com schedules for The Neighborhood somehow have episode synopsis but not all: Example: early Sun Jul 21 5:34am - Welcome to the Stakeout, Synopsis: "When there’s a break-in at Calvin’s business, he teams up with Dave for a stakeout to catch the culprit in the act."

Featured Posts