"Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling" News and Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
With today being the 25th anniversary, Nickelodeon has announced that a TV movie for the animated TV series Rocko's Modern Life has been green lit.
EW has learned exclusively that Nickelodeon has greenlit a TV movie of Rocko’s Modern Life, the classic ‘90s animated Nicktoon created by Joe Murray.

The one-hour TV special will bring back all of the beloved characters in Rocko’s fictional city of O-Town. Murray will return as executive producer and co-director of the film, which will be produced out of Nickelodeon Animation Studios in Burbank.

No specifics on a release date or casting yet. Happy anniversary!

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
And you beat me to it. Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. I wonder what they'll be doing.

Light Lucario

Staff member
That's a neat surprise. I remember enjoying Rocko's Modern Life when I was younger and the episodes I've seen on the Splat have been pretty fun too. Having the creator involved in the movie is a good sign. It will probably help to make the special feel more like the TV series. I'm also glad that it's just a TV special. While I liked Rocko's Modern Life, I'm not sure if a new series would really fit on the current lineup. Still, it should be interesting to see how the special turns out.

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
Well, this makes sense. Murray mentioned on his Facebook page that he was still in touch with Nickelodeon, so something was bound to happen.........

Mikurotoro92

Banned
I must be the ONLY one who doesn't care about this Nick really needs to stop with all these reboots they're getting as bad as CN!

You know what? I think The Splat has ruined or at least severely damaged Nick we wouldn't even be getting all of these unneccessary reboots if it wasn't for The Splat making these shows (like Rocko,Hey Arnold,& Rugrats) relevant again! Besides while The Splat has good live-action shows it's missing Nick Arcade!

Honestly The Splat is nothing more then Nick's reboot breeding ground where they air classic shows then decide to reboot them! It's sickening & if I realized that sooner I wouldn't have bothered to watch the block in the first place I only watch it for obscure live-action shows (like Pete & Pete & Hey Dude),classic non-obscure live-action shows (like Clarissa & Kenan & Kel),& cartoons (like Rugrats)!

I don't support ANY of Nick's reboots (even Rugrats) so count me out!

Light Lucario

Staff member
I must be the ONLY one who doesn't care about this Nick really needs to stop with all these reboots they're getting as bad as CN!

You know what? I think The Splat has ruined or at least severely damaged Nick we wouldn't even be getting all of these unneccessary reboots if it wasn't for The Splat making these shows (like Rocko,Hey Arnold,& Rugrats) relevant again! Besides while The Splat has good live-action shows it's missing Nick Arcade!

Honestly The Splat is nothing more then Nick's reboot breeding ground where they air classic shows then decide to reboot them! It's sickening & if I realized that sooner I wouldn't have bothered to watch the block in the first place I only watch it for obscure live-action shows (like Pete & Pete & Hey Dude),classic non-obscure live-action shows (like Clarissa & Kenan & Kel),& cartoons (like Rugrats)!

I don't support ANY of Nick's reboots (even Rugrats) so count me out!

Considering that Nickelodeon has only ordered two specials based on their older shows and neither of them have even aired yet, I'm not sure how they're going over board with the reboots or getting as bad as Cartoon Network. I'm not even sure if we can call this TV special a reboot when we know nothing about it. The Hey Arnold special also probably shouldn't be labeled as a reboot when it seems to be a continuation of the original series. It's like calling the two PPG specials we got before the new series reboots when they were just specials.

I also don't think it makes much sense to blame the Splat for these specials or for damaging Nick. Like I said, ordering two specials is not going overboard. If their lineup starts getting full of various different reboots of their old series, like maybe three series, then that's a different story, but having two TV specials is fine. There's also a good possibility that these specials could have happened without the Splat. I'm sure the success of the Splat certainly helped with that in having Nick see that people did want to see older Nicktoons, but revivals are pretty typical in this day and age. A lot of fans of the 90's Nickelodeon era are young adults who have more money than when they were relying on their parents, so they're just jumping the nostalgia train that a lot of people are doing since they realize that they can get more money by appealing to the nostalgia crowd.

FlooterFlatter

One Sly Princess
Staff member
This should be interesting. I consider "Rocko" to be the best show to air on Nick, and has a special place in my hearts.

Joe Murray is confirmed to return on the special. I wonder if anyone else from the show will return, including the voice actors.

Dudley

Staff member
I look forward to it and hope it'll be as good as the original series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaylop97

Staff member
Good to see they do have something planned for Rocko, though as always until a release date is set then I could surely be excited for this.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
The skeptical part of me wonders how they're going to get away with some of the same adult humor that the original series had. I mean, in some ways the content restrictions for kid's cartoons are lessened (TV-PG-rated cartoons prove that), but in other ways they're more strict than the '90s.

That said, I am looking forward to it. Hopefully it lives up to the original series!

InvaderWeezle

Let's hope it isn't as modern as the title suggests.

Based on some of Joe's comments here and here, it sounds like they'll have it set loosely in the 2010s, while still being relatively timeless (he directly said no to memes, if that's what you're really worried about). Based on that, I'm thinking that it'll be a little like The Amazing World of Gumball in terms of 2010s setting.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Charlie Adler says they start recording tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/charlie_adler/status/786560426255355905

UPDATE: He says it's going to be an hour and it will air on The Splat.
https://twitter.com/charlie_adler/status/786574518743556096

I asked him if it will air on regular Nick as well and he said he doesn't know more than that. I guess he isn't sure.
https://twitter.com/charlie_adler/status/786593627174604800

I figured it would air on both, but I guess I can see them just airing it on The Splat since a lot of kids today probably aren't familiar with Rocko.

Last edited:

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
Charlie Adler says they start recording tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/charlie_adler/status/786560426255355905

UPDATE: He says it's going to be an hour and it will air on The Splat.
https://twitter.com/charlie_adler/status/786574518743556096

I asked him if it will air on regular Nick as well and he said he doesn't know more than that. I guess he isn't sure.
https://twitter.com/charlie_adler/status/786593627174604800

I figured it would air on both, but I guess I can see them just airing it on The Splat since a lot of kids today probably aren't familiar with Rocko.

Makes me wonder if Nick will change their mind and air The Jungle Movie on The Splat as well....

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts