"Rocket & Groot" Animated Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Discuss these "Rocket & Groot" animated shorts!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Use this thread to discuss the Rocket & Groot animated shorts released by Marvel and Disney XD!

qTWfzRE.png

A 12-episode series of Rocket and Groot short films, set before the two titular characters join the Guardians, will start rolling out on the Disney XD app, one per day, from March 27.

Animated by Passion Pictures and based on designs by comic book artist Skottie Young, the shorts follow Rocket and Groot as they try to figure out how to get enough credits to buy a new ship after their old one breaks down.

The shorts are directed by Arnaud Delord (famous for his Gorillaz music videos), and written by Chris “Doc” Wyatt and Kevin Burke. Executive producers are Cara Speller, Alan Fine, Dan Buckley, Joe Quesada, and Cort Lane, and co-executive producers are Stephen Wacker and Stan Lee.

Four of the shorts will also be posted on YouTube beginning March 27, and a compilation of all the films will premiere on the “linear” Disney XD channel, at 7 a.m. ET on April 10.

Check out the first short, on Disney XD's YouTube channel. It was apparently uploaded last week but there was no real promotion for it. (The video might be region-locked).

Marvel's Rocket & Groot - Dream Machine
Rocket and Groot find their dream ship in the Broker's Junkyard, but encounter one very expensive problem before they can buy it.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Other relevant links:
"Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (Animated)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)
"Ant-Man" and "Rocket and Groot" Shorts by French Animation Studio confirmed

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Origins" Animated Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)
"Guardians of the Galaxy" Digital Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)
Marvel and Funko Animated Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)

Frontier

Staff member
That was a really fun short. Felt like it came straight out of a Skottie Young comic :D.

Nice to hear Trevor Devall and Kevin Michael Richardson reprising Rocket and Groot in this :).

The animation was great. Very fluid, dynamic, and vibrant, with plenty of cartoony flair befitting the characters involved :anime:.

I almost wish the main cartoons looked this good :sweat:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
March 13th:
It's a pretty good start. The art-style and animation are more interesting than the plot, so far. I think it looks great and I am looking forward to the rest (and it does make me wonder if the Ant-Man shorts will have a similar style).

Apparently these follow the adventures of Rocket & Groot before joining the Guardians. That should clear up any continuity issues. :p Also at the start of the short, it looked like they were chasing the Space Phantom.

March 16th:
Another short is available on YouTube:

Marvel's Rocket & Groot - A Piece of Cake
In search of easy credits, Rocket and Groot take on what seems like a cute and fuzzy bounty...but it goes horribly wrong!

Again, not much actually happened but it's pretty entertaining stuff.

Greg91

Reporter
March 13th:
It's a pretty good start. The art-style and animation are more interesting than the plot, so far. I think it looks great and I am looking forward to the rest (and it does make me wonder if the Ant-Man shorts will have a similar style).

Apparently these follow the adventures of Rocket & Groot before joining the Guardians. That should clear up any continuity issues. :p Also at the start of the short, it looked like they were chasing the Space Phantom.

March 16th:

Again, not much actually happened but it's pretty entertaining stuff.
I hear all the shorts will air together as one story on April 10 on Disney XD. Maybe I can see Rocket and Groot then (if it's for Disney XD Canada as well).

brodie999

I hear all the shorts will air together as one story on April 10 on Disney XD. Maybe I can see Rocket and Groot then (if it's for Disney XD Canada as well).
Yeah, I hope Josh Keaton and Melissa Rauch reprises their roles as Ant-Man in Avengers: Secret Wars S4, replacing Grant George and Colleen Villard.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Hope you eventually get a chance to see these shorts, I think you'd enjoy them.

Yeah, I hope Josh Keaton and Melissa Rauch reprises their roles as Ant-Man in Avengers: Secret Wars S4, replacing Grant George and Colleen Villard.
I think we would have heard by now if George Grant was being replaced for Secret Wars, similar to how Mick Wingert was announced as the new voice for Iron Man. And I don't think there was any real confirmation Colleen Villard was going to voice Wasp either.

Also, please take any further discussion about the Ant-Man shorts to this thread and let's keep this one about the Rocket & Groot cartoons.

Frontier

Staff member
March 16th:

Feels like they missed an opportunity to not include mroe cameo's and easter eggs among those wanted posters :oops:.

Anyone could probably guess what that "cute and cuddly" bounty was going to turn out :p.
That sounds really cool, especially since it means more people will be able to watch the shorts! Be even better if they air it during an episode of Guardians or right before :cool:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Feels like they missed an opportunity to not include mroe cameo's and easter eggs among those wanted posters :oops:.
I was expecting something like that as well, after the Space Phantom cameo in the last short.

I wonder if we'll get any more cameos or guest-stars in these (like the other set of Guardians shorts had MODOK and Man-Thing). Since there are supposed to be 10 more shorts here, I kind of doubt they will only feature Rocket & Groot, but I guess we'll see.

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
Pretty simple, straightforward little show so far. The visuals are the highlight. I think Devall is getting a better opportunity to show off his comedy chops here than he does on Guardians.

Frontier

Staff member
Pretty simple, straightforward little show so far. The visuals are the highlight. I think Devall is getting a better opportunity to show off his comedy chops here than he does on Guardians.
I'd say this is just playing to his strengths since he always tends to get the best lines on Guardians :p.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
The style of these kind of reminds me of the Twisted Whiskers show. I have to say I like it. It has a very dynamic feel to it and it's always refreshing to me, seeing a different style employed. With how short they are, I can definitely see Disney XD run them during ad breaks or after the credits run.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
New short:

Marvel's Rocket & Groot - Black Tie Only
When his search for a bounty leads to a five-star restaurant, Rocket must defy all odds...mainly, his personal hygiene.

This was probably the funniest so far. That final scene with Rocket holding a chainsaw was kind of creepy but still amusing.

@Greg91 and anyone else who can't watch these shorts on YouTube - this one is also available on IGN (where I don't think it's region-locked).

Frontier

Staff member
Well, at least they got the bounty that time, if their credit at the end is any indication, even if they both had make some sacrifices to do it :rolleyes2:.

Greg91

Reporter
New short:

Marvel's Rocket & Groot - Black Tie Only

This was probably the funniest so far. That final scene with Rocket holding a chainsaw was kind of creepy but still amusing.

@Greg91 and anyone else who can't watch these shorts on YouTube - this one is also available on IGN (where I don't think it's region-locked).
Hey thanks. I can see this one. :) And this was a fun short. I appreciate you giving me (and others) a heads-up like that.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Here's another short:

Marvel's Rocket & Groot - The Space Race
Rocket's scheme to win a space race gets thwarted by his arch-nemesis, Blackjack O'Hare.

Fun stuff. It's pretty weird how another series of shorts (DC Super Hero Girls) had a Wacky Races-like plot recently. It's cool Blackjack O'Hare appeared, I was hoping for more guest-stars.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts