"Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News

Rate and Discuss this series!

• Total voters

AnotherRandomGuy

The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away
Oct 29, 2016
Ratings
1,431 14
New Mexico
Right now, it's all just very meh to me.
Not necessarily bad, but more like it doesn't know what kind of show it wants to be, or who any of these characters are.

The idea of Raph being the leader was always interesting to me and I was excited to see how they would justify it...and they haven't really. Raph is the leader because they didn't want Leo to it again, which is fair but you need to establish why that should be the case in the actual story.

It's very comedic, but it doesn't feel like a parody. TTG, faults notwithstanding, at least always knew it was a comedy with a super hero skin. ROTMNT wants have both but right now really doesn't know how to balance them.

I'm not ready to write the whole thing off just yet, I've torn apart shows with worse episodes that have managed to improve later on, Ultimate Spider-man is a good example.

I'm hoping with it improves with each new episode, or at the least next season.

JoeMabbon

Autobot Leader
Aug 8, 2014
Ratings
3,418 2
Ark-7
The idea of Raph being the leader was always interesting to me and I was excited to see how they would justify it...and they haven't really. Raph is the leader because they didn't want Leo to it again, which is fair but you need to establish why that should be the case in the actual story.
I think their avoiding justifying it because they're already setting up Leo to take over at some point down the line.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,734 7
Framingham, MA
No, they're not. Leo is not going to be leader because this show doesn't care about established Turtle lore, or mythology, or other such insufferable nonsense. Which is the precise reason I like the show.

Rise Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles “Minotaur Maze”

I like that the Minotaur is a cranky little old lady. I also liked Leo’s practical portal.

I love the moment of Raph saying he believed in Leo, but that if he died there, he’d come back and haunt him. There was absolute sincerity in his voice when he said that. Donnie tries to poke holes in the logic there, but Donnie is wrong. I totally 100% believe him.

Fun episode. ****.

Rise Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles “The Longest Fight”

SO much fun!

I like Splinter’s observation that an offer to do anything is way more than an offer to do something, and just shy of offering to do everything. Smart joke. I also laughed at Raph saying, “Nice, punch, Hoss.”

I think this version of the Turtles are bad heroes. 2012’s were too, but that was due to stupidity and incompetence, which got grating after awhile. These versions simply being lazy, yet self-aware, is much funnier, and gives me MUCH less excuse to be aggravated. I’ll state for the record here and now, that if they go to this particular well TOO often, I’ll definitely be P.O.ed in the future. But I like the specific reason these Turtles are sometimes ineffective is ultimately because they don’t actually care. That’s a really horrible and cynical idea. But it’s also funny and can lead to great jokes.

“Did you hear that?”

“The sound of a mannequin falling? No.”

That was priceless. This is literally the funniest Turtles show ever.

I love the commercial for the ice cube trays. I am 100% certain they stole that joke from Family Guy’s Ball-In-A-Cup, but to be fair, this was MUCH funnier than that. I mean the woman pouring water into her freezer to make ice pretty much had me rolling. And that was the exact same wonderful thing about Ball-In-A-Cup. Old school commercials always overexplained the products as if the viewer were stupid, and never heard of them before. And that’s the ice cube tray joke, except it actually SHOWS a person failing without the product, rather than just the product itself, like Ball-In-A-Cup.

That was SO funny. ****1/2.

Radical

Deborah Bispo so epic and hot!!!!!
Nov 7, 2004
Ratings
279 1
Lacey,Washington
Minotaur Maze was great/funny,

Raphael, Leonardo, Donatello, and Michaelangelo going to Undercity is always sweet.
Cool seeing Undercity, he's cool/interesting.
Nice seeing Senor Hueso the skeleton guy, great funny new minor character.
The ultimate prize being the "world's greatest pizza" is epic.
Leonardo being cocky/arrogant to mess with Raphael to get the world's greatest pizza was great/funny, still love the Raphael/Leonardo rivalries:p.
Raphael, Leonardo, Donatello, and Michaelangelo's crazy adventure in the deadly maze was great/funny.
Leonardo's portal powers are cool/useful for dangerous situations.
The Female Minotaur, my favorite great new villainess, Cree Summer doing another villainess role, sweet, and cool they make the Minotaur a female/cranky old lady, great new villain idea:D.
Raphael, Leonardo, Donatello, and Michaelangelo getting the world's greatest pizza was great.
Funny ending on their group photo, hahahahahaha:p.

Last edited:

VGCinema

Sep 28, 2018
Ratings
Earth-65
Minotaur Maze was all kinds of fun! Glad to be in the underground city again and see all the crazy stuff that has to go on down there. Love that Leonardo was the one who went off the beaten path to find the maze. I also really liked the skeleton guy guarding it. He was funny. Kinda love that none of the other Turtles wanted to go on any kind of adventure even though they want to be seen as heroes. They are kinda lazy in this version, which is an interesting change of pace. Glad to be getting a little more Leonardo vs. Raphael action. Glad no matter which version it is they will always find ways to butt heads. I didn't really care for the villain in this episode, but the rest of it was good enough that I didn't really care.

The Longest Fight was really good too! So glad to see the Foot dudes again and really excited to see the Origami Foot Soldiers again! Really happy to see some kind of continuity even if there isn't an overarching storyline. This episode seemed to have a few other callbacks if I can remember correctly. I'd have to watch it again to make sure though. I'm starting to really like this version of Splinter now. After Mascot Melee and his touching speech at the end about saving the robe for special occasions because he loved it so much makes me see him in a new light of sorts. Absolutely loved seeing the Turtles just obsess with this skating competition. Normally they'd be ready to kick butt, but they just had to see her do the flip.

JoeMabbon

Autobot Leader
Aug 8, 2014
Ratings
3,418 2
Ark-7
No, they're not. Leo is not going to be leader because this show doesn't care about established Turtle lore, or mythology, or other such insufferable nonsense. Which is the precise reason I like the show.
I’m pretty sure the episode that introduced the classic turtle villains, the Foot Ninja, was also foreshadowing that Leo will come to lead the team. The fact that he is the first to criticize Raph and Raph hasn’t demonstrated any growth at all in that department is the set up for conflict.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,734 7
Framingham, MA
I’m pretty sure the episode that introduced the classic turtle villains, the Foot Ninja, was also foreshadowing that Leo will come to lead the team. The fact that he is the first to criticize Raph and Raph hasn’t demonstrated any growth at all in that department is the set up for conflict.
I disagree. Actual conflict is no fun, and this show doesn't seem to want to do no fun. If there was any pathos at all so far I'd be willing to entertain that idea, but I predict the show is going to keep the formula pretty solid because there isn't.

JoeMabbon

Autobot Leader
Aug 8, 2014
Ratings
3,418 2
Ark-7
I disagree. Actual conflict is no fun, and this show doesn't seem to want to do no fun. If there was any pathos at all so far I'd be willing to entertain that idea, but I predict the show is going to keep the formula pretty solid because there isn't.
The conflict will boil over eventually, even if it's played entirely for laughs. If the show was going to be entirely comedy, they wouldn't have bothered introducing Draxum.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,734 7
Framingham, MA
The conflict will boil over eventually, even if it's played entirely for laughs. If the show was going to be entirely comedy, they wouldn't have bothered introducing Draxum.
Again. I disagree. I think this particular project is not keeping ANY of the Turtles' baggage from previous incarnations, and is just starting fresh. I think people hoping for the show to go a more traditional route in the future are going to be disappointed. One of your arguments is that Leo is starting to stand up to Raph. Except Leo is the most incompetent Turtle that we've seen, so it makes sense he and Raph (who is leader) don't see eye to eye.

Do not get your hopes up for Leader Leo. This show is not what you hope it is.

JoeMabbon

Autobot Leader
Aug 8, 2014
Ratings
3,418 2
Ark-7
Again. I disagree. I think this particular project is not keeping ANY of the Turtles' baggage from previous incarnations, and is just starting fresh.
Which is why they kept so much of it?

One of your arguments is that Leo is starting to stand up to Raph. Except Leo is the most incompetent Turtle that we've seen, so it makes sense he and Raph (who is leader) don't see eye to eye.
They're all incompetent, with Donnie being the most on the ball. However, Leo consistently puts forward the best plans and shows the best intuition.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,734 7
Framingham, MA
Rise Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "The Gumbus"

Baxter Stockboy. Oh my God. This show is officially my everything.

At first I was just impressed they made the kid black to show diversity. In reality it was for THAT. But yeah, it's New York City. There should definitely be more black people in it besides Baxter. And maybe if not all of them were maimed and abused, that would be great too.

They've been meaning to think about considering subscribing. Not quite as funny as Bart Simpson's line, "I can't promise I'll try. But I'll try to try," but it's funny for the same reason.

I love that as the Gumbus is chasing them April is laughing maniacally. You know that girl loves it.

I don't love the Leons or the Miguels in this show, but I think this is the first Turtles project in which a Turtle compared themselves to the artist they were named after. It is very interesting that this Mikey is artistic and seems to consider his namesake a role model of sorts. That's very interesting. Way more interesting that 2012 Mikey who was pretty much all Roger Rabbit, all the time.

I love that Mikey almost grabs a meat cleaver and picks a ham shank instead. Baxter IS just a kid. I wouldn't want to see the Turtles accidentally wind up killing him. Their "What did you just do?!" to Raph over seemingly squishing the bug newscaster in a previous episode says that kind of thing is totally a risk with these guys.

I loved every inch of this episode. Big time. *****.

Radical

Nov 7, 2004
Ratings
279 1
Lacey,Washington
The Gumbus was pretty sweet/funny,

April getting major focus was sweet, love this version of April next to 2012 CGI April:anime:.
Michaelangelo, Leonardo, and April's chemistry investigating was great/funny.
Michaelangelo, Leonardo, and April vs. The Gumbus was great.
The Gumbus one scary ghost monster and turned out to be fake, hehehe.
Mikey's weapon choice was funny.
Cool to see Baxter, my favorite best classic villain, he goes by Baxter Stockboy which the writers make him an evil kid, I like it, a new change of pace:D.
Cool to see Cree Summer again voicing Mrs. Stockboy(Baxter's mother), awesome.
Poor Baxter's loss was funny, I'll enjoy his return.

Next to Baxter/The Foot Clan, I hope to see Rocksteady & Bebop, Rat King, Leatherhead, Slash, and Wingnut/Screwloose show up as well.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
7,960 6
A Valid Location
So I've been trying to catch up with this show. I'm still 2-3 episodes behind, but it's pretty fun. I like the interactions between the Turtles, and some of the other characters, plus the action scenes are for the most part creative and pretty cool to watch. The comedy also works for the most part and it's entertaining enough for me. The new designs for the characters also don't really bother me all that much.

From the episodes I watched so far, I think "Mascot Melee" was my favorite. I liked how ridiculous it got by the end. The mascots protecting their turf and fighting the Turtles was great. I also liked the twist at the end about who (or what) was behind everything. That was pretty surprising. The dance-off between the Turtles and the mascots was also fun, it had some nice choreography. The bits with Splinter were also pretty good.

As a side-note, I found it kind of hilarious how one of the villains in that episode was a "robot vampire cockroach", which I just presumed was a nod to that old marathon Cartoon Network had over 2 decades ago, "Night of the Vampire Robots". :p

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,734 7
Framingham, MA
Rise Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "Mrs. Cuddles"

There will be a certain segment of Turtle critics who will think Raph being afraid of a stuffed animal is dumb. The 2012 version's fear of roaches is MUCH more relatable. I partially agree with that, but looking at all of the pros and cons of each, that's why I think the stuffed animal fear is better.

The problem with Raph being afraid of roaches is that it's TOO relatable. It's not as funny as the 2012 show thinks it is. Roaches are gross and dirty and spread filth and diseases. It is not unreasonable to be afraid of them. And because of that, I always was mad at the other Turtles for giving him a hard time about it. But the one good thing about the roach phobia is that because roaches are half-scary, the show could come up with a good Mutant to exemplify that fear in the Cockroach Terminator. It's easier on a psychological level to instinctively give the audience reason to fear the Terminator.

And while that is definitely the main selling point of doing the roach, I can't but help be more impressed with this show for doing the stuffed animal. I'm already a little afraid of roaches. While the show WAS tapping into a deep primal fear people have, that's not always a good thing. I love Doctor Who, which gets kids to be scared of things that aren't usually scary. That's a much more impressive trick to me, and while I don't think this show had Mrs. Cuddles be as scary as a Doctor Who Scarecrow or person wearing a gasmask, Mrs. Cuddles was scary ENOUGH. They DID the heavy lifting to make Mrs. Cuddles unnerving with the wildly bright rainbow ears, and the Powerpuff Girls eyes that never close or move. Yeah, the Cockroach Terminator scares me more if you want to be technical. But Mrs. Cuddles scares me SOME, and that's the bigger ask, and thus in my mind, the bigger accomplishment. I think a lot of horror shows have gotten great mileage out of making people even more afraid of things they already feared. But it's shows like Doctor Who and characters like Mrs. Cuddles which are savvy enough to make people afraid of things they previously considered neutral.

For the record "Holy banana pancakes!" is my new favorite G-rated expletive.

Great episode. It's wasn't as scary as Cockroach Terminator, but it was scary enough to make me think they worked for the scares more. ****.

Radical

Nov 7, 2004
Ratings
279 1
Lacey,Washington
Mrs. Cuddles was great/funny,

Cool seeing April.
Raphael's greatest fear being Mrs. Cuddles the adorable kids TV show rabbit was great/interesting after his bugs fear.
Donnie, Leonardo, Michaelangelo, and April pranking Raphael was funny, hehehe.
Mrs. Cuddles, my favorite great scary funny new villainess:D, she's so cute and really SCARY, evil stuffed animals a great new villain idea.
Mrs. Cuddles' ability to feed on their fears is pretty interesting/evil like Batman's the Scarecrow and the Fear Feaster who are fear lovers.
Raphael/Splinter vs. Mrs. Cuddles was awesome, cool seeing Splinter having a fight scene:D.
Raphael facing his fear defeating Mrs. Cuddles was sweet.

VGCinema

Sep 28, 2018
Ratings
Earth-65
I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm gonna give my opinions on the last couple episodes.

Gumbus was really good. I'm not too crazy with them changing Stockman's name to Stockboy, but the fact that he is actually a kid who stocks things in a grocery store is too insane for me to be too mad about it for too long. I LOVED April's reactions to everything compared to Mikey and Leo, she was absolutely into all of it. She was so happy to be haunted lmao.

Mrs. Cuddles is now my favorite episode of the show so far. I really did feel unsettled as heck here. I wasn't on the edge of my seat or anything, but I did kinda fear for the Turtles. I don't know... I love when things that are supposed to be cute actually turns out to be something truly evil. I know this show isn't going to go into any detail and it's all for fun, but I would've loved to know the backstory of that bunny. I also understand it would've just bogged down the episode so it's okay. My favorite part was Splinter and how he genuinly was afraid for his kids, even if the reason he even noticed them was because his TV time was being interrupted. I really do feel like he is a good guy, just maybe not the best dad.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,734 7
Framingham, MA
Rise Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "Hypno! Part Deux!"

Since when does April have a magic cat? Did I miss something?

Who wears a knit cap in the summer? Good question.

The fight scene at the end was great.

Pretty good episode. ***1/2.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Hey Lady Lucario! Long time no see! How is life treating ya?
I like that Delta Rune doesn't even try to conceal it's creepy subtext. Just tosses it right at you from the start.
am i the only one who notices the change, while nobody else does?
RIP Stan Lee, the legendary Marvel creator.
Happy Veterans Day to all the brave men and women in service. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication.