Revivals of old Sony Spidey shows? Just thinking

Latest News & Videos

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Feb 22, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I saw something making the rounds over the last week when somebody tweeted a question to Mainframe Animation (the studio that animated Spider-Man: The New Animated Series from 2003) asking if they could do more of that show. They replied along the lines of they'd "love to but we'd need to get Marvel on board." and that's led to people pipe-dreaming that it could mean there's a possibility that show could come back now simply because the people that animated the show said they'd like more work. Obviously one needs to step back and really think about the likelihood but it's a confusing thing for me to think about. Let me know your thoughts, or if I'm just hopelessly shooting in the dark trying to break it down.

My question is, would it be feasible for Sony to produce revivals of their old Spider-Man shows with Marvel's blessing? It's certainly a big thing to grasp because apparently when Marvel got the animation rights back for Spidey that just meant standard 22 minute television shows/appearances/appearances in shows up to 44 minutes in length. BUT Sony is able to maintain animation/TV rights for projects that are feature length/theatrical animation (they finally exercised this with Spider-Verse), or television/animated shows 45 minutes in length per episode or above. I believe the recent Marvel Rising animated projects from Marvel had Gwen Stacy regularly appearing in most of the episodes except for any longer than 45 minutes in length, also why Spidey hasn't been able to appear in any direct to video Marvel animated movie projects. The final season of Marvel's Spider-Man (Maximum Venom) is being billed as 6 one hour long specials, but I'm curious to find out if the rule holds true and the season was simply ordered as 12-13 22 minute episodes they're compiling together.

Obviously the big road block for Marvel/Disney producing more Spectacular Spider-Man after they got the rights back in 2009 was the fact that it wasn't their show, and all assets of the production didn't belong to them. Same for The New Animated Series. They're Sony shows, so they currently stream on Sony Crackle. So why can't Sony work produce more of TSSM or TNAS with Marvel/Disney signing off? Is it because Marvel/Disney wants only their shows with their IP airing new episodes? Next year we'll have a new Spider-Man cartoon airing on Disney Junior, Spidey and His Amazing Friends, aimed at a preschool audience. I think the Spidey brand is strong enough to have a show for toddlers and have something for the older viewers at the same time, and if enough people continue demanding more of Spectacular or TNAS could Sony one day actually be able to capitalize on it?

Remember, Marvel/Disney signed off on Fox doing X-Men related shows The Gifted and Legion a few years back to air on Fox networks. Sony is currently developing Spider-Man TV projects with Phil Lord/Chris Miller. Who's to say they can't jump through a bunch of hoops to put together revived productions (if the parties responsible for the old shows have the time and interest) for their Sony Crackle platform or some other network with Marvel signing off on it? I feel like a big block might be merchandising. Marvel/Disney's probably gonna rake it in with the Maximum Venom show because people like Venom, and they like Venomized heroes so all the toys they just revealed at Toy Fair seems like a calculated move on their part to make a show that will sell toys. Then again, Marvel/Disney 100% owns the merchandising rights so they rake that in no matter what.

Reactions: Frontier

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I wouldn't mind some kind of revival of The New Animated Series just to resolve that cliffhanger...although arguably Spec had a major one all it's own.

I'm not quite sure what's in store for the future of Spidey in animation beyond that Disney Junior show and the Into the Spider-Verse sequel.

Reactions: Webbed-Wonder

colomb

Jan 7, 2019
Canada
"We'd love to."
Rainmaker/Wow Media (or whatever they're called these days) has been saying the exact same thing about the original ReBoot series for years. I wouldn't put any weight into it.

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Feb 22, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I wouldn't mind some kind of revival of The New Animated Series just to resolve that cliffhanger...although arguably Spec had a major one all it's own.

I'm not quite sure what's in store for the future of Spidey in animation beyond that Disney Junior show and the Into the Spider-Verse sequel.
Sure would be nice to see some of these older shows get a chance to tie up loose ends one day especially since the current shows get tons of episodes to end things on their own terms. The nostalgia factor for some of them could be a big boost in itself for hooking people into revivals.

Problem is Marvel/Disney always seems less beholden to the past and prone to just move to the next thing for one reason or another. I was encouraged last year seeing Diamond Select Toys releasing X-Men TAS busts that it might mean Spider-Man TAS busts could be following and sure enough at Toy Fair they revealed a Spider-Man TAS Spidey bust, and Mysterio, both looking spot on to their designs in the show. There's also the retro SMTAS packaging Marvel Legends toys Hasbro revealed at Toy Fair. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about they should have been doing for years now.

There's that market for nostalgia that Marvel animation/Disney could be tapping into to a bigger extent where you've got people involved in those original shows who actively want to do more. We had the X-Men TAS producers apparently meeting with Marvel/Disney last year about possibly reviving X-Men TAS and I don't believe we're privy yet to the outcome of that meeting.

I can't believe that we still haven't heard anything come out of Sony or Marvel after the huge TV deal with Lord and Miller.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yeah, I figure we should be hearing more about that this year or else I'd start assuming things like they aren't happening.

"We'd love to."
Rainmaker/Wow Media (or whatever they're called these days) has been saying the exact same thing about the original ReBoot series for years. I wouldn't put any weight into it.
Totally, there's no real basis for the fan speculation other than the sliver of hope that comes from them saying that but it just gets me thinking of what it might take to pull something like that off. People have been asking for The Spectacular Spider-Man particularly to come back for a decade now, revivals aren't out of the question- it's just with the recipe of big IP Spidey from Marvel/Disney plus Sony which makes it a particularly sticky pile of "what if?s." for fans to figure out, because most of the time the discussion doesn't seem too well-informed.

I certainly don't have all the answers but I feel like I'm educated enough about the rights things with the info that's out there to not be one of the people that's surprised when Spectacular Spider-Man doesn't end up on Disney Plus or TNAS Spidey, or thinking revivals could just wind up there like a clean landing with a little bit of good spirits.

Reactions: Frontier

the_joker

Mar 23, 2009
I recently watched TNAS, and I thought the show was just ok. The biggest things holding it back were the unimpressive villains (plenty of which were based on classic Spidey villains, but the show couldn't use them for some reason) and the lack of a supporting cast which makes their world feel too small. It's weird that there's a mystic swordswoman that was sent to hunt for Spidey only for Kraven to later appear in the show. And the supporting cast is limited to Indy, who Pete likes for some reason but is unable to admit his feelings to MJ. I read that "old people" like Aunt May (and JJ who had very limited appearances) weren't allowed to make much of an appearance on the show for some odd reason. MTV didn't think that teen-ish audiences would be receptive to "old people"? I'm not sure I understand that line of thinking.

There were things I liked about the show. Since the show was targeting teens or young adults, or older children at least, they could be a bit more explicit about the violence and thus the stakes on the show. I'll also give the show credit for being tasteful with the profanity as none of it sounded forced just because the show was made for older viewers. Even though the show has a darker tone than other Spidey shows, it wasn't overly dark or depressing which could get silly. It was just a bit more serious, which ties in well with the more explicit stakes. NPH also does great as Peter Parker/Spider-Man with a more laidback performance while still being able to give more dramatic performances.

So, would a revival work for this show? I don't think so because the aesthetics of this show pretty much screams 2000s such as the rather outdated CG and the music, not that I'm criticizing the show for that. For some unknown reason, I actually really like the aesthetics of this show even if it's dated, and I wouldn't have minded if the show had a full(er) run in that style, provided that the show got better. But there's no way the show could be revived and still feel like it originally did.

The only Spidey show that could come back and still feel the same as it originally did is The Spectacular Spider-Man. I'm not the biggest fan of the designs of that show, but it certainly doesn't look dated. And even though technology has greatly changed since the show came out, I still wouldn't mind the characters using old cell phones as that wouldn't feel as dated. I think Greg Weisman wouldn't even change the technology in the show, at least not too much as he would continue telling Gargoyles as still taking place in the 90's if he could.

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Feb 22, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I recently watched TNAS, and I thought the show was just ok. The biggest things holding it back were the unimpressive villains (plenty of which were based on classic Spidey villains, but the show couldn't use them for some reason) and the lack of a supporting cast which makes their world feel too small. It's weird that there's a mystic swordswoman that was sent to hunt for Spidey only for Kraven to later appear in the show. And the supporting cast is limited to Indy, who Pete likes for some reason but is unable to admit his feelings to MJ. I read that "old people" like Aunt May (and JJ who had very limited appearances) weren't allowed to make much of an appearance on the show for some odd reason. MTV didn't think that teen-ish audiences would be receptive to "old people"? I'm not sure I understand that line of thinking.

There were things I liked about the show. Since the show was targeting teens or young adults, or older children at least, they could be a bit more explicit about the violence and thus the stakes on the show. I'll also give the show credit for being tasteful with the profanity as none of it sounded forced just because the show was made for older viewers. Even though the show has a darker tone than other Spidey shows, it wasn't overly dark or depressing which could get silly. It was just a bit more serious, which ties in well with the more explicit stakes. NPH also does great as Peter Parker/Spider-Man with a more laidback performance while still being able to give more dramatic performances.

So, would a revival work for this show? I don't think so because the aesthetics of this show pretty much screams 2000s such as the rather outdated CG and the music, not that I'm criticizing the show for that. For some unknown reason, I actually really like the aesthetics of this show even if it's dated, and I wouldn't have minded if the show had a full(er) run in that style, provided that the show got better. But there's no way the show could be revived and still feel like it originally did.

The only Spidey show that could come back and still feel the same as it originally did is The Spectacular Spider-Man. I'm not the biggest fan of the designs of that show, but it certainly doesn't look dated. And even though technology has greatly changed since the show came out, I still wouldn't mind the characters using old cell phones as that wouldn't feel as dated. I think Greg Weisman wouldn't even change the technology in the show, at least not too much as he would continue telling Gargoyles as still taking place in the 90's if he could.
Haha, your thoughts seem to be pretty close in line with mine on TNAS at the end of the day. Especially the early 2000s-ness of it all, it's such a perfect encapsulation of that era. I don't think it's a perfect show by any stretch, but there were definitely glimmers of greatness and felt like it had more stories in it. I don't know if this is heresy, but I think it looks better than the Iron Man CGI cartoon from 5-6 years later- I think it's the bolder colors, slightly exaggerated designs, and uses of blacks. Regardless, the way it went out without them knowing if they'd get more episodes was a ballsy move.

Similarly I remember that's what Greg Weisman said about their Green Goblin reveal in the 1st season of Spectacular- that they pulled that at the time without knowing if they'd really get to unveil the real twist in a 2nd season. I think that's definitely the one out of all of the shows that would probably excite the most people if they went down that path and brought one back in a new form. Maybe someday, if Young Justice could come back... Spectacular doesn't really have the streaming fanbase that show had prior to its revival. Sony Crackle isn't exactly the best streaming service people line up to use to begin with.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Haha, your thoughts seem to be pretty close in line with mine on TNAS at the end of the day. Especially the early 2000s-ness of it all, it's such a perfect encapsulation of that era. I don't think it's a perfect show by any stretch, but there were definitely glimmers of greatness and felt like it had more stories in it. I don't know if this is heresy, but I think it looks better than the Iron Man CGI cartoon from 5-6 years later- I think it's the bolder colors, slightly exaggerated designs, and uses of blacks. Regardless, the way it went out without them knowing if they'd get more episodes was a ballsy move.

Similarly I remember that's what Greg Weisman said about their Green Goblin reveal in the 1st season of Spectacular- that they pulled that at the time without knowing if they'd really get to unveil the real twist in a 2nd season. I think that's definitely the one out of all of the shows that would probably excite the most people if they went down that path and brought one back in a new form. Maybe someday, if Young Justice could come back... Spectacular doesn't really have the streaming fanbase that show had prior to its revival. Sony Crackle isn't exactly the best streaming service people line up to use to begin with.
For what it's worth, "what cartoons would you like to see revived?" was trending on Twitter yesterday and I saw a lot of people bring up Spectacular.
Thinking of Spectacular and I'd love to see Victor Cook show run another Spidey series. Or any Marvel Animation really.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Stretch Armstrong and the Flex Fighters was very much in the vein of Spider-Man :).

I think Marvel Animation would benefit from a creative director or showrunner with a strong sense of visual style and who knows how to manage a cohesive production.

Roxas_Sora

Apr 5, 2007
South of Europe
I would like to see the revival of several of Spider-Man's shows to see them solve the cliffhangers. That would inclusde:

+ 90's series: Spider-Man saving Mary Jane, returning home and maybe solving the experiments the Miles Warren of his reality would do with his DNA. (Maybe creating Kaine).

+ Spectacular: The whole thing of Norman fakign his death, Spider-Man's love life and other stuff.

+ Ultimate: Spider-Man's new status quo, probably having a role in the Secret Wars from Avengers Assemble, Wolf Spider's potential return and see some more about Mary Jane as Spider-Woman.