Reviewing all 57 Disney Animated Canon Movies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baloo

You better believe it!
Welcome to part 37 of my project to review every film in the Disney animated canon! Last time, I reviewed Mulan. Here, I will review the final film of the Disney Renaissance, Tarzan, released in 1999. Despite the generally positive reception the film gets, it doesn't seem to be discussed as much as most of the other Disney Renaissance films. Do I think it's a weaker Disney Renaissance film, or can it compete with the others? Let's see with my review.

The film starts with a couple with a baby escaping their ship once it is destroyed by a storm at sea. Arriving at an African jungle, the couple builds a treehouse to live in.
Meanwhile, in another part of the jungle, a family of gorillas composed of Kerchak, Kala, and an unnamed baby gorilla are having a great time being a family, but unfortunately for them, tragedy is about to strike. One night, while his parents are sleeping, the baby gorilla wakes up to chase after a frog, but runs into a vicious leopard named Sabor. Kerchak and Kala quickly appear to rescue their son, but are too late as he is killed by Sabor. The two become depressed by their son's death, but the next morning, Kala hears the baby in the treehouse crying, because Sabor happens to be killing his parents at that moment. Kala runs off to the treehouse to discover what is making the sound. This whole introduction scene has a song sung by Phil Collins called "Two Worlds" playing, and fortunately, Tarzan easily has one of the best Disney soundtracks of all time. "Two Worlds" is a phenomenal song, and being able to establish everything as well as showing off how epic Sabor will be (more on her in a little bit) makes this up there with "Circle of Life" and "The Bells of Notre Dame" for one of Disney's best opening songs and openings as a whole.

Inside the treehouse, Kala discovers the dead couples' remains and the baby, who is still alive. She immediately takes a liking to the baby, but her affection is short-lived as Sabor appears to kill them. As the two fight over the baby, Sabor gets tangled in a rope and Kala heads off with the baby to the other gorillas. Much like the soundtrack being one of Disney's best, the animation in this film is also one of Disney's best as well, arguably being the best. The film is GORGEOUS. It is consistently phenomenally animated throughout the whole film, and certain moments in particular really done out. In this scene, the first few seconds of Sabor chasing Kala and the baby with the two animals jumping outside the treehouse are extremely impressive and is one of these special moments. Speaking of Sabor, she is awesome! She's pretty similar to Shere Khan, except take out his charisma and dialogue and increase his already threatening vibe, and she's even more dangerous than him. Every scene featuring this leopard includes a lot of epicness and fantastic animation, this fight being a great example.

Kala shows the baby to the gorillas, and while most of them are intrigued by the baby, Kerchak isn't so pleased. Fearing that both having a human will put their family in danger, and that the baby won't replace their dead son, Kerchak is unwilling to let Kala adopt the baby. When Kala tells him that Sabor killed his parents and there are no more humans, Kerchak reluctantly lets her keep the baby, but says he won't be able to replace their son. While we haven't got to the film with this character yet, Kerchak is very similar to my least favorite Disney character. They both try to actively distance themselves from their sons, and since I absolutely despise the later character, you're probably expecting me to really hate Kerchak. Surprisingly, I actually really like Kerchak, and this film does the "uncaring father" subplot a ton better than a later Disney film will do. What makes the character work so well is that his motives for why he acts the way he does are understandable. He's not a villain or a despicable person (in the beginning of the film, you can clearly see that Kerchak really enjoys being with the baby gorilla), and I see him more as a person who's too blinded by the death of his original son that nothing can replace him because he loves him so much. He clearly values the safety of the gorillas above all else, and he does get good character development as the film goes on. He's well-written, and despite his flaws, Kerchak is a genuinely likable character.

Naming the baby Tarzan, Kala sings a song to him to calm him down as they settle down for the night. The song is called "You'll Be In My Heart", and while a better version of it will play in the credits, this song is really good. I haven't really talked about her yet, but Kala is probably the best mother figure in any Disney film. She may not be as complex as Kerchak, but Kala is incredibly likable and someone who would make a fantastic mother for anyone.

Several years later, Tarzan is now a kid, and seen as an outcast by his father and most of the other gorillas. His best friend is a female gorilla named Terk (How many of you thought Terk was male growing up? I'm one of those people.), who jokingly suggests making him grab an elephant hair in order to fit in with her other friends. Much to Terk's chagrin, Tarzan takes it seriously, and ends up meeting a young neurotic elephant named Tantor, as he accidentally causes a elephant stampede because Tantor thinks he's a piranha. Tarzan is pretty similar to Mowgli, but unlike him, Tarzan actually has a character, and his attempts to fit in with everyone make him genuinely likable, and leads to good drama when he's an adult. Terk and Tantor are a lot of fun as well (also, does young Tantor remind anyone of Hathi Jr.?).

Kala and Kerchak arrive at the scene of the incident, where Tarzan willingly confesses that it is his fault for causing the elephant stampede. Enraged because a baby gorilla almost got crushed by the elephants until he saved him, Kerchak tells Kala that he'll "never be one of us", which makes Tarzan sad. That night, Kala finds Tarzan and cheers him up, claiming that Kerchak doesn't understand that Tarzan isn't so different from the gorillas after all.

We then get another montage set to a Phil Collins song, "Son of Man". In this song, we see Tarzan, Terk, and Tantor grow up into adults. The song itself is epic and easily one of my favorite Disney songs. The montage and song ends with Tarzan surfing on some vines, and the animation in this brief scene is pretty revolutionary and may even be the best-animated moment in the entire canon. Combining the film's strengths in both animation and music, this scene is definitely a highlight of the film.

One day, as Tarzan is hanging out with Terk and Tantor (who both act largely the same as when they were kids; Terk being energetic and Tantor being afraid of everything), a certain someone shows up. That "someone" is Sabor. Kerchak fights off Sabor, but is knocked down by the leopard. Tarzan enters in to save his father, and then we get a good two minutes of nothing but epic action as Tarzan and Sabor fight. Wielding a spear throughout the fight, Tarzan and Sabor eventually fall into a pit. Tarzan comes out of the pit with Sabor, who has been killed by the spear, avenging not only the death of Kerchak and Kala's baby, but also the deaths of his parents. All the gorillas and Tantor celebrate Tarzan's victory, and after presenting Sabor's dead body to his father, Kerchak slowly starts to develop respect for his adopted son. The entire Sabor fight and the victory afterwards are two of the most epic moments in the entire animated canon, and are both highlights of the film. Unfortunately, this also comes with a downside of no more Sabor.

Just as Kerchak is about to give Tarzan words of respect, everything is halted by a gunshot in the distance. Knowing something bad is going to happen, Kerchak orders everyone to leave the area, but Tarzan decides to head off in the direction of the gunshot, curious of what the sound is. He ends up discovering a totally not evil hunter named Clayton, who is touring Archimedes Q. Porter and his daughter, Jane, through Africa. All of them discover gorilla nests, and as they head off, Jane is stopped by a monkey, who steals a book from her and ends up getting her chased by a bunch of baboons. Tarzan rescues her, and we get an awesome chase scene with some more epic vine surfing as they escape the baboons. Tarzan inspects Jane and discovers the similarities between them as he takes the glove off her hand to compare their hands and he starts to learn the human language (while Tarzan has been speaking like a human before this scene, he was always in the presence of animals, so I think it's justified why it seems a little odd). Hearing Clayton's gunshots in the distance, Tarzan takes Jane towards her camp. Speaking of Jane, I do enjoy her a lot as well, and coming back to this film, I forgot how funny Jane can be at times with her clumsy, yet eccentric behavior.

Terk, Tantor, and some other gorillas are looking for Tarzan, and end up discovering the human's camp (where Mrs. Potts and Chip can be found for some reason...). Intrigued by everything there, they destroy objects and mess around in the camp for the heck of it, singing a song composed entirely of gibberish called "Trashing the Camp". Remember in "I Wanna Be Like You" when Baloo and King Louie were singing gibberish? This song is pretty much that, but longer. While the film's weakest song, it's still awesome and really catchy.

Tarzan and Jane return to the camp, where Jane discovers Tarzan's relationship with gorillas. Kerchak also happens to be in the area, and thinks Jane is trouble, but quickly leaves as Clayton and Mr. Porter return. While Jane informs Clayton and her father of Tarzan and the gorillas, Kerchak warns everyone to avoid the humans. Tarzan protests against his father's orders, and shows up at the camp again, where Clayton tries to shoot him for thinking he's a wild animal. Wanting to find out the gorilla's location, we get a montage of Jane teaching Tarzan about the human world as the two slowly fall in love, set to the song "Strangers Like Me". Once again, the song is one of Disney's best, and the montage itself is very nice. It also helps that Tarzan and Jane do genuinely have chemistry with each other.

After seeing an idea of giving flowers to women on a slideshow on Jane's projector, Tarzan picks up some flowers for Jane as he heads back to the camp, only to discover them preparing to head back to England as their ship arrives. Jane offers to let Tarzan come to England with them, knowing that she'll never likely see him again, but Tarzan's attempts to convince her to stay don't work. Clayton convinces Tarzan that they can stay longer if he can lead them to the gorillas, which Tarzan agrees to. Knowing Kerchak will be a big obstacle, Tarzan has Terk and Tantor disguise themselves as Jane and Mr. Porter to distract Kerchak, who chases them through the jungle.

Tarzan takes Jane, Clayton, and Mr. Porter to the nesting grounds of the gorillas, where Jane meets Kala and the other gorillas. As Tarzan tries to teach Jane how to speak "gorilla", Terk, Tantor, and Kerchak show up. Tarzan tries to convince Kerchak to go easy on the humans, which it seems like he's going to do so at first, until he notices one of the gorillas playing with Clayton's gun. Tarzan restrains Kerchak down as the humans escape, which causes Kerchak to lose all respect he had for his son and he tells him that he betrayed the gorillas.

We then get one of the film's most emotional scenes, as Kala shows Tarzan the treehouse he first lived in and a picture of him as a baby with his human parents. Kala offers to let Tarzan choose between going to England or staying with the gorillas, and in the end, Tarzan decides to go to England. This scene is another highlight of the film, for not only showcasing Tarzan making his decision between being with humans or gorillas, but also for the atmosphere in the scene, with a soft instrumental of "You'll Be In My Heart" playing in the background. After he says goodbye to Kala, in the morning, Tarzan boards the ship to go to England. Goodness, this movie is so good. What could possibly be bad about it-wait...

On the ship, Clayton reveals to Tarzan that he is the villain and he wanted Tarzan to lead him to the gorillas so he can capture them and sell them for money. He locks Tarzan, Jane, and her father on the ship as he and his henchmen head out into the jungle to capture the gorillas. Clayton is easily the weakest thing about the film and the only blemish on an otherwise fantastic movie. Clayton's motivation is so generic, he isn't charismatic, interesting, fun, or enjoyably evil at all before and after the reveal, and what really doesn't help is that the twist that Clayton is the villain is EXTREMELY predictable. I was only like three years old when I saw this movie for the first time, and even the first time I watched it, I saw the twist coming from a mile away, and I think it's super obvious from the first second he's on screen that he's going to be the villain. If you're going to make him a twist villain and reveal him this late, then please make it less obvious that he's the villain. I find it weird that this film wanted to focus on him instead of the much more interesting Sabor. Unfortunately, Tarzan is the film where I feel like Disney villains start to go downhill, as these generic twist villains are going to start to be a lot more common from here on out.

Tarzan lets out a loud yell upon discovering Clayton's betrayal, which Terk and Tantor overhear. Terk is reluctant to help because of her being jealous of Tarzan ditching them, but Tantor snaps and orders Terk to help, as Tantor actually acts brave for once and heads through the water to Clayton's ship. Inside, Tarzan tries to break out, but fails until Tantor uses his weight to break the ceiling of the locked room. Everyone leaves the ship and heads off to the jungle to stop Clayton and save the gorillas.

Clayton and his henchmen capture the gorillas in nets and cages just as Tarzan arrives with his friends and a bunch of other animals, including the monkey and the baboons from earlier. Kerchak comes back onto Tarzan's side once his son frees him, and Tarzan frees Kala and the other gorillas as everyone else fights off the henchmen. Clayton shoots his gun at Tarzan, barely scratching his arm. Willing to protect his son, Kerchak steps in to save Tarzan, only to be shot by Clayton and wounded.

Clayton chases Tarzan up into the treetops where a storm begins and a bunch of vines await. Tarzan gets in possession of Clayton's gun, mimics a gunshot as he pretends to shoot Clayton, and destroys the gun. Clayton then gets out a machete as he tries to get Tarzan, but ends up getting tangled in a bunch of vines. Here is where we get the only thing that I and most people tend to remember about Clayton. He starts slashing the vines, unaware of one vine hanging around his neck like a noose. Tarzan warns him to stop, but Clayton doesn't listen and falls towards the ground with the vine around his neck, snapping it and leaving his dead body hung (If you look on a tree on the left side of the screen when lightning flashes, you can see the shadow of Clayton's dead body hanging). Even if Clayton is boring, I do like the fight between him and Tarzan, and his death is easily one of the most memorable deaths in Disney history, even if it is a bit disturbing to the shadow of his dead body.

Back on the ground, Tarzan goes over to Kerchak, who is slowly dying. Kerchak apologizes to Tarzan for his treatment of him, and tells him to take care of the gorillas, while calling him his son for the first time right before he dies. This scene is another highlight of the film, and it shows why Kerchak is a good character. Here, you can tell Kerchak is being 100% serious with his apology, and even if he didn't show it, he realizes that Tarzan will always be a son to him, even if he isn't just like his first son. However, due to the fact that a gorilla named Harambe died from a gunshot and has become a meme, this scene is now unintentionally funny due to that, but in reality, it is a powerful scene, even if it's hilarious in hindsight nowadays.

Eventually (presumably the next day?), Jane and her father say their goodbyes to Tarzan as they head back to England. Knowing of his daughter's love for Tarzan, Mr. Porter convinces Jane to let both of them stay in Africa, which she is delighted to do. To end off the film, we get some more epic vine surfing, a reprise of "Two Worlds", and the epic Tarzan yell. The credits of this film have "You'll Be In My Heart" played over them, this time being sung by Phil Collins instead of Kala's voice actress, Glenn Close. This version of the song is awesome and another classic song.

That's Tarzan, and as you can probably tell, I was very positive about this film. The animation and music are easily among Disney's best, the characters are great, it does the "uncaring father" plot right, and almost everything is incredibly good. The big "almost" is referring to Clayton, who is such a boring twist villain. Why the heck did they kill Sabor off so quickly for this guy? If it had a better villain, then this film would certainly be in my top ten. Unfortunately, the very weak main villain is a pretty big flaw. However, it would be in my top fifteen, the film is awesome, it has a ton to love about it, and it's a perfect way to end off the Disney Renaissance. I highly recommend it.

Favorite Character: Sabor
Favorite Song: "Son of Man"
Favorite Scene: All of the scenes with Sabor
Final Score: A+

Feel free to discuss Tarzan, agree or disagree on anything I said, or post any extra thoughts.

Next time, I will recap the Disney Renaissance, so stay tuned for that.

For this review's question:
Do you think this film handled Kerchak's relationship with Tarzan well?

Freddy

For me, Tarzan is kinda an underrated gem and probably the best adaptation of the character to date. I go back to it quite regularly.

Baloo

You better believe it!
Welcome back to another part of my project to review every film in the Disney animated canon! Last time, I reviewed Tarzan. Here, I won't really be reviewing anything, but I'm going to recap an era of Disney animation. Here, I will be recapping all of the Disney Renaissance era, ranking each film, summarizing my main thoughts, and giving my overall feelings on the era. If you don't know, here are all the films in this era:

The Little Mermaid (1989)
The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
Beauty and the Beast (1991)
Aladdin (1992)
The Lion King (1994)
Pocahontas (1995)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
Hercules (1997)
Mulan (1998)
Tarzan (1999)

For most people, this is their favorite of all the eras of Disney animation. The first half (1989-1994) contains the four most famous films of the era and the least famous film of the era, with the big four being considered to be four of Disney's best and the other one being considered an underrated classic by most. The second half (1995-1999) is considered to be weaker, but it still contains films that many see as classics. Now, how would I rank the films?

10. The Rescuers Down Under (1990)

I know a lot of people like this film and see it as an underrated classic, but unfortunately, despite two genuinely good elements and being very close to being good, this one barely fell flat for me, and I much prefer the original. The film does have great animation, and McLeach is a pretty good villain, but the rest of the film does little to impress me and it lacks the heart and charm that made the original (in my opinion) so good. There's a lot of filler of mostly unfunny slapstick, the romance subplot is uninteresting, and instead of having a cast filled with a lot of great characters, McLeach is the only great character when compared to pretty much every important character in the original. Bernard and especially Bianca aren't as interesting here as in the original, Wilbur is fairly annoying and much less charming than Orville, Cody feels like Penny but minus the elements that made her great, Frank is obnoxious, and the others are unmemorable. It's very close to being good, but the lengthy unfunny filler and weak character selection make it just okay for me.

9. Pocahontas (1995)

While I like Pocahontas more than most people do, I don't think it's a great film. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy it though. There are some fantastic visuals and songs in the film, and while I don't think any of the characters are anywhere among Disney's best, I think they're okay enough to hold up the film, especially in combination with the previously mentioned amazing music and animation. It's not that great, but I liked it.

8. Hercules (1997)

While there's not a lot about Hercules that I found amazing, it does manage to be solid in spite of some flaws. Hercules is fine enough to root for, but not that special, there is some dated CGI, and the film's sense of humor didn't do much for me, but everything else was enjoyable. Most of the characters are decent, Hades is a great villain, the songs are great, and there is some cool action. It's definitely not a masterpiece, but I enjoyed it in spite of some flaws.

7. The Little Mermaid (1989)

While not as good as the other "big four" films, this one is still pretty good. There are some good characters, the animation is pretty darn good, it has a sense of elegance to it, and it does manage to be memorable. However, the two things that really make this film a classic are the fantastic songs and Ursula being a great villain. While most people will probably place this one higher compared to others in the era, it's still a very good movie. I just like the six ahead of it more.

6. Mulan (1998)

This film is consistently solid throughout. Mulan is one of Disney's best lead and female characters and really embodies the "girl power" message the film goes for, some action scenes are really awesome and beautifully animated, most of the characters are good, and it's home to one of Disney's best songs, "I'll Make a Man Out Of You". The other songs are pretty good too. Mulan is a very good film and once again the only reason it's this low on the list is because the ones ahead I enjoy more.

5. Tarzan (1999)

This movie does almost everything right. The characters are great, Kerchak does the "uncaring father" thing a lot better than a later Disney film does, and the animation and music are easily among Disney's best in those departments. Unfortunately, the film does have a really fatal flaw in Clayton, for both being a really boring twist villain and having no reason to replace Sabor as the film's main villain, especially since Sabor is awesome and way more threatening and memorable. Still, the positives greatly outweigh the one negative, and I highly recommend it.

4. The Lion King (1994)

What can I say about this film that hasn't been said before? The characters are great, Scar is one of Disney's best villains, the songs are awesome, and everything about it feels like Disney put over 100% of their effort in to it. It has no major flaws, and the only reason it's at #4 is because I enjoy the three films ahead more.

3. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)

While it's one of Disney's least family-friendly films, it is still really good. The animation is great, the music is phenomenal, Quasimodo is an incredibly likable character, Frollo is easily one of Disney's best villains, and the other characters are enjoyable. A ton about it works, and the darker tone is very much appreciated in making it stand out.

2. Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Much like some previous films on the list, what can I say that hasn't already been said before about this film? The romance between Belle and Beast is brilliant, Gaston is a great and hilarious villain, the songs are among Disney's best, the animation is groundbreaking, the prologue is awesome, and it captures the feeling of a fairy tale perfectly.

1. Aladdin (1992)

This choice was probably predictable, but there is a lot in Aladdin I love. There are a lot of great characters in the film, there is a lot of awesome action, the film is pretty funny, all of the songs rank among Disney's best (in fact, "Friend Like Me" is my favorite Disney song), and, of course, the highlight of the film for me and many people is Genie. Robin Williams is amazing and he makes this character hilarious, likable, and layered all at the same time. If you've somehow never seen Aladdin, definitely check it out. You won't be disappointed.

Now, I will give special awards to the things I liked and disliked the most in the era.

Favorite Character: Genie (Probably the second best Disney character so far behind Baloo; what can I say about this character you haven't heard already? He's charming, funny, can be serious when needed, is sympathetic, gets some awesome songs, and is voiced fantastically by Robin Williams.)

Least Favorite Character: Frank (This character embodies everything you don't want in a comic relief character. He isn't funny, charming, or interesting at all, his antics are annoying, he's pointless (the only thing that ends up accomplished in his scenes are freeing Cody, but since McLeach was coming to let him out anyway it really isn't necessary), his scenes are filler and go on too long, and there's nothing I enjoyed about him. How this character manages to avoid hate is beyond me.)

Favorite Song: "Friend Like Me" (Aladdin) (As previously mentioned, this is my all-time favorite Disney song. It's so catchy and fun and I can listen to it all day and never get tired of it.)

Least Favorite Song: "Daughters of Triton" (The Little Mermaid) (Very forgettable)

Best Animation: Tarzan (This film looks AMAZING. All of the vine surfing is fantastic visual appeal and the beautiful backgrounds and character animations hold up today. It's arguably the best animated film in the canon.)

Worst Animation: Hercules (For the most part, this film looks nice. It's here mainly because I thought the CGI on the Hydra looked really dated, and I wouldn't call any of the animation in this film groundbreaking.)

Best Ending Credits: Tarzan ("You'll Be In My Heart" is amazing.)

Best Aspect of the Era:
The songs (You probably saw this coming, but when I think of the Disney Renaissance, I think of the great songs these films had. All of the films minus The Rescuers Down Under (which didn't have songs) had a lot of memorable and great tunes that are just classics. The songs really help to drive these music-oriented films and if a musical has great songs, they accomplished their basic goal very well.)

Like most people, I consider the Disney Renaissance to be the best era of Disney animation. To show how good it is, there managed to be 7 films out of 10 that got the "A+" grade, which is over half of the films in the era and exactly half of the "A+" grade so far. That's a lot of really good films. Only one film was below the entire "B" level (The Rescuers Down Under) and it was very close to being good. Obviously, there's a lot to enjoy in this era, especially with, once again, the fantastic songs. The songs in this era are easily some of Disney's best and help make these films stand out more than the majority of the Disney films. Overall, the Disney Renaissance is a fantastic era that I really enjoyed watching. It's unfortunate that it's coming to an end, because not only was this a really good era, but from what I remember, the post-Renaissance era was probably the weakest era.

1. Disney Renaissance
  2. Golden Age
  3. Dark Age
  4. Wartime Package Films

Feel free to discuss any of these ten films, agree or disagree on anything I said, or post any extra thoughts.

Next time, we're going to enter the post-Renaissance era and I'll review Fantasia 2000, so stay tuned for that.

All of the recaps will have several questions, asking you about your favorite and least favorite parts of the era. For here, they are:
Who is your favorite/least favorite character of the era?
What is your favorite/least favorite song of the era?
What film do you think has the best animation of the era?
What is your favorite/least favorite film of the era?
What are your thoughts on the era as a whole?

Last edited:

Baloo

You better believe it!
Welcome to part 38 of my project to review every film in the Disney animated canon! Last time, I recapped the amazing Disney Renaissance. Now, we're going to take a look at the post-Renaissance era, containing films released from 1999 to 2008. Many of these films weren't big box office or critical successes, and some of the least liked Disney films are in this era. Here, I will review the first film of the era, Fantasia 2000, released in 1999. This is the final package film of the canon and the second of four sequels in the canon. The general consensus is that Fantasia is better than this one, but do I feel the same way?

First, here's a brief description of the Fantasia films that I put in my review of the original film.

"If you haven't seen either Fantasia film, I'll give you the basic premise. They're composed of several segments that are set to classical music while the animation unfolds on the screen. Some of the segments have simple stories, some don't, and others are just abstract imagery. The music in all of these segments are phenomenal, so this film works great as background music, but watching it for both the visuals and the music is a little bit different."

In this film, there are also celebrity cameos between the segments (some of the celebrities like James Earl Jones, Angela Lansbury, and Bette Midler have appeared in Disney films before this), where they usually just give an unfunny joke or two before going to the next segment. It's pretty unfunny and kind of annoying, but at least it's short. So, how are the segments?

"Beethoven's Symphony No. 5":

Much like the original film's "Toccata and Fugue in D-Minor", this segment is set to abstract imagery, with butterfly-like creatures being present in this one. It's nothing amazing, the atmosphere isn't as good as the original film's segment, and it's somewhat forgettable. However, it's harmless and pleasant to watch, just nothing super memorable or groundbreaking. I'd give this segment a B-.

"Pines of Rome":

This segment features a bunch of whales, with a baby whale in a family of three getting separated. After getting trapped in an iceberg, the baby whale manages to get out and reunite with his parents, and they and the other whales fly off into the sky. The animation on the whales flying is awesome, but I feel like some parts of this segment can be a little dull and it might go on a little too long. However, it is a well-made short and the climax of the whales flying is pretty cool. I don't think it's great, as some moments start to lose my interest, but the climax is enough for me to say I enjoyed it. I will give it a B-.

"Rhapsody in Blue":

This segment takes place in New York City, where four people are unhappy with their life and want to pursue something else. These people include a construction worker who wants to become a musician, a depressed man who wants a job, a girl who wants to spend time with her busy parents, and a man resembling Snoops from The Rescuers who wants to get away from his overbearing wife. After some shenanigans, all of them end up having their dreams come true. The art style of this segment is very distinct and memorable, the jazzy feel is great (very reminiscent of "All the Cats Join In" from Make Mine Music to me), and I like the segment enough to give it a B+, and it's one of the better new segments in the film.

"The Steadfast Tin Soldier":

This segment is about a tin soldier with one leg who falls in love with a ballerina figurine. However, a jack-in-the-box wants the ballerina to himself and throws the tin soldier out of the house. After a perilous journey, the tin soldier returns to the house, reuniting with the ballerina while he causes the jack-in-the-box to land in a furnace and burn to death. While once again not super memorable, the segment does manage to be alright and there is some charm to it. I'd give it a B-.

"The Carnival of the Animals":

This segment is about a flock of flamingos in which one of the flamingos loves playing with a yo-yo, much to the chagrin of the others. This one is very short at only around two minutes long, but despite having very little to it, there is still charm there and I think's it's good enough to be good, though it certainly isn't great. I'd give it a B-.

"The Sorcerer's Apprentice":

This segment returns from the original Fantasia film, and since I already reviewed it there, I'm not going to talk it about it here. It is an excellent segment and the highlight of the film. It gets an A+.

"Pomp and Circumstance":

The famous graduation music is set to the biblical story of Noah and his ark. The story also has Donald and Daisy thrown into the mix, as they board the ark and almost lose each other in the process. Having two well-known characters helps the segment a bit, some of the antics Donald gets into with the animals are funny, and it is very charming and rewatchable. While not as good as "The Sorcerer's Apprentice", it is the best segment made for this film, and it gets an A+.

"The Firebird Suite":

The final segment has an elk awakening the Spring Sprite, who brings a forest to life after winter. A volcano gains her attention, and when she goes inside, she awakens the fierce Firebird, who destroys the forest with his fire in pursuit of the Spring Sprite. After the Firebird disappears, the elk brings the Spring Sprite back, who heals the burnt-down forest. This segment is clearly supposed to be this film's version of "Night on Bald Mountain", and compared to that, it's kind of underwhelming. The Firebird, like Chernabog, is pretty cool, but unlike Chernabog, the Firebird is barely in it, with most of it being given to the Spring Sprite and the elk. Despite being underwhelming when compared to the original, I did genuinely enjoy the segment. The animation and atmosphere are excellent, the scene with the Firebird is cool, and I really like seeing the forest come back to life. It's one of the film's better segments and I'd give it an A-.

That's Fantasia 2000. Overall, I think it's a decent film, as I think all of the segments are good, but there are some issues I have with it that keep it from being great. The only thing that I think the film does wrong is that the celebrity cameos are fairly annoying and only serve to take me out of the film when they come on. However, another issue I have with the film (and this is more of my opinion) is that this is easily one of the most forgettable Disney films. It's enjoyable, but when I think of Disney films, this is one that tends to slip my mind, which isn't necessarily a good thing. The original Fantasia is definitely a lot better, but for what it is, Fantasia 2000 is a good, but forgettable Disney movie that doesn't quite have the elegance of the original or the charm of the 1940s package films, but it is clearly trying and I respect it for that.

Favorite Character: The Firebird
Favorite Song: N/A
Favorite Scene: The classic segment from the first film
Final Score:
"Beethoven's Symphony No. 5": B-
"Pines of Rome": B-
"Rhapsody in Blue": B+
"The Steadfast Tin Soldier": B-
"The Carnival of the Animals": B-
"The Sorcerer's Apprentice": A+
"Pomp and Circumstance": A+
"The Firebird Suite": A-
Overall: B-

Feel free to discuss Fantasia 2000, agree or disagree on anything I said, or post any extra thoughts.

Next time, I will review Dinosaur, so stay tuned for that.

Which Fantasia film do you like more?

Dr.Pepper

I like Fantasia 2000, but not as much as the first. I felt that it was too short and really could of used another segment or two.

Baloo

You better believe it!
Welcome to part 39 of my project to review every film in the Disney animated canon! Last time, I reviewed the first film of the post-Renaissance era, Fantasia 2000. Here, I will review Dinosaur, released in 2000. Outside of the package films, this is probably the Disney film I hear people talk about the least. I don't even know what the general reception on the film is because of how infrequently it's brought up (I think it's usually seen as just okay, but I'm not 100% sure). Is there a reason why people don't talk about it, or is this a hidden gem? Let's find out.

The film does actually have a very impressive opening that really makes you feel like you're in the time of the dinosaurs. A Carnotaurus attacks a group of dinosaurs, and an Iguanodon egg is taken away from its nest. It is eventually carried by a Pteranodon to an island where a group of lemurs live. While the animation on the dinosaurs looks a little dated and isn't that special, the backgrounds look awesome, and the orchestration playing in this scene is awesome. These first five-eight minutes of the film are great and is the highlight of the film for me.

Unfortunately, the animation and the film in general goes downhill once the characters start talking. The lemurs discover the baby Iguanodon coming out of the egg. An elderly lemur named Yar is worried about this dinosaur growing up to attack them, but his daughter, Plio, thinks he's harmless. Yar ends up giving in, and the lemurs decide to adopt the dinosaur and name him Aladar. I've already seen the concept of a species adopting a member of a different species done before in The Jungle Book, Tarzan, and Melody Time, and much better in all of three of those films. Speaking of Tarzan, the film at first feels like they're going to make Yar seem similar to Kerchak in that they don't trust the new member, but the film disposes of that very quickly.

It transitions to years later, and Aladar is grown up and popular amongst the lemurs. As far as characters go, Aladar is about as bland as they come. There's nothing about him to dislike, but nothing about him stands out and being the "normal" person is the only thing he has going for him. Yar and Plio are extremely forgettable and there is another lemur named Suri who doesn't really have a personality and is also extremely forgettable. The film's primary comic relief, Zini, can get a little annoying at times with his obsession over love, but he is also pretty forgettable. These characters aren't awful, but very little about them stands out and you can't get invested in them.

Eventually, the island is hit by meteors. Aladar and his family, being the only ones who survive the attack, escape to a nearby island where they eventually come into a desert while looking for food and water. The scene with the meteors attacking the island is kind of cool, and we do get another kind of cool action scene with Aladar and the lemurs getting attacked by Velociraptors after they escape the island. They eventually come across a herd of dinosaurs lead by two jerky Iguanodons, Kron and Bruton. Kron is easily the worst character in the film and one of the worst Disney characters ever, as he is just a massive jerk with nothing likable, charming, interesting, or entertaining about him. Bruton isn't quite as frustrating, largely due to events later in the film, but it seems like the writers are trying their hardest to make Kron as unlikable as possible. He gets irritating very quickly and he is one of two major issues I have with the film.

The herd is walking through a barren desert trying to find the nesting grounds. While most of the dinosaurs are able to keep up, two older dinosaurs, Eema and Baylene, find it hard to keep up. Aladar befriends them, and asks Kron if he can slow down so the two (and Eema's pet Ankylosaurus, Url, because he's totally needed to the story) can catch up. Unsurprisingly, Kron refuses, believing in a survival of the fittest policy. While neither of them are great or even characters that are super memorable, I will give Eema and Baylene credit that they're probably the two best characters in the film. That's not saying a lot, but there's enough charm and likability to them that they're at least a little above average. There's also a subplot with Aladar falling in love with Kron's sister, Neera. The romance between Aladar and Neera is one of the most boring romances I've ever seen in not only Disney, but film history. Even the romances between Snow White/Cinderella and their princes are more interesting than this, and that's saying something. Neera has no personality to her outside of being the forced love interest, and the two barely interact with each other.

After a long walk across a desert, the herd reaches an area where a lake should be, only to find no water there. The rest of the dinosaurs carry on, but Eema is slowly dehydrating and needs water. Fortunately for her, Baylene's footsteps are strong enough to put craters in the ground, and it turns out that water is hiding underground. The group gets Eema back to normal health and informs the other dinosaurs of the water. Then, Kron appears, kicks everyone out of the way, and demands all the water to himself. He's such a likable character, right?

Throughout the film, the dinosaurs are stalked by a pair of Carnotaurs. When Kron sends Bruton and a scout to patrol the desert, the Carnotaurs attack. Bruton escapes from them, albeit wounded, but the scout isn't so lucky and is killed. Bruton warns Kron of the oncoming Carnotaurs and the herd is instructed to leave the area. Knowing Eema and Baylene won't catch up, Aladar asks Kron to have the herd slow down. What does Kron do? He attacks Aladar, telling him that he'll kill him if he interferes again. Once again, there is nothing to like about Kron, and if he's supposed to be the villain, then he's not that great at it as he's more of a massive jerk than actually evil.

That night, the group is far behind from the herd as they head to the nesting grounds. They discover a nearby cave to rest in and they end up coming across Bruton, who is still wounded from the Carnotaur attack and unable to keep up with the herd. Bruton comes into the cave with him and Plio tends to his wounds. Here, Bruton realizes that he and Kron have been total jerks the whole film and he is willing to die in the cave for his behavior. The Carnotaurs show up again, and in what is admittedly an alright scene, Bruton causes a cave-in that manages to kill one of the Carnotaurs, but at the cost of his own life. While he's not anything special, I'll give Bruton some credit that he at least has some decency to him unlike Kron, and I do like the fact that he redeems himself to the others.

After breaking through a dead end in the cave, the group reaches the nesting grounds. However, the path that the other dinosaurs are taking to the area is blocked off. Aladar reaches the herd and informs them of the barricade, but being the jerk he is, Kron refuses to listen and attempts to kill him. The other Carnotaur appears, and the herd of dinosaurs roar him off. The Carnotaur notices Kron, and runs to him trying to kill him. It's kind of sad that I'm actually rooting for the Carnotaur to kill Kron.

The Carnotaur attacks Kron, and Aladar causes the Carnotaur to end up dying the classic Disney villain way, falling to its death. It turns out that the Carnotaur's attack on Kron killed him. Kron's death is a highlight of the film, less because of it being tearjerking (which it isn't), but more of that this unlikable jerk is finally done for and won't be irritating for the rest of the film, despite the film being almost over. The film ends with the dinosaurs going through the cave and reaching the nesting grounds, where Aladar and Neera have babies and the dinosaurs all happily live their lives there.

That is Dinosaur, and it's probably safe to assume that I didn't care for this one. To me, it's easy to see why the film has fallen into relative obscurity. There isn't that much the film does wrong, but outside of the first 5-8 minutes, Eema and Baylene being alright, Bruton's sacrifice, and a occasional decent action scene, there's not much I care for, and only the first 5-8 minutes are great. There's only two real complaints I have with the film, but unfortunately, they're very big complaints. One is obviously Kron, who is easily one of my least favorite Disney characters. The second major issue I have with this film is that it's mostly just really boring. The characters are super bland and forgettable, the plot is generic, most of the backgrounds are boring and bland looking desert, and nothing about the film minus one irritating character and the beginning stands out at all. I guess it's not bad per say, as it's mostly inoffensive, but for me, Dinosaur is a boring and extremely mediocre film that leaves next to no impact. At least with one or two later films in the canon, depsite them being worse films, they give something to talk about and are interesting films, even if it is for the wrong reasons. In conclusion, I don't hate the movie and I don't think it's bad per say, but it was boring enough that I was close to calling it bad just for being a snorefest. It's not my least favorite film in the canon, but it's certainly in the bottom five, and very likely in the bottom three.

Favorite Character: Eema/Baylene
Favorite Scene: The first 5-8 minutes
Final Score: D-

Feel free to discuss Dinosaur, agree or disagree on anything I said, or post any extra thoughts.

Next time, I will review The Emperor's New Groove, so stay tuned for that.

Do you get into the characters in this movie at all?

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
I loved Dinosaur when I was younger! I'm still upset today that it is so unpopular, as I think it's a unique attempt on Disney's part. I haven't seen the company do anything else really like it, and the fact that it was made all the way back in 2000, when computer animation was still fairly young, impresses me. It may look outdated now, but I'm sure it didn't back then. However, I totally get your complaints and agree with many, although I don't think it's a bad film.

Baloo

You better believe it!
Welcome to part 40 of my project to review every film in the Disney animated canon! Last time, I reviewed the weakest and most boring film in the canon so far, Dinosaur. Here, I will review The Emperor's New Groove, released in 2000. After the boringness of the last film, I hope this film can make up for it. I think you probably know whether or not it does, but let's find out.

The film starts out showing us the life of our main character, Emperor Kuzco. He's a selfish emperor who's obsessed with himself, and this leads to a song called "Perfect World", which is about how spoiled Kuzco is. It's alright, but nothing special. He has an adviser named Yzma, who also has a henchman named Kronk. Kuzco fires Yzma when he catches her trying to rule the empire from behind his back. Right away, something I have to mention about this film is that it generally tries any moment it can to throw jokes at you, and fortunately, a good amount of the jokes do work. I wouldn't say there were a lot of times I got big laughs in this film, but I definitely chuckled a lot at the jokes, and I can't recall any that were painfully unfunny like most of the comedy in an upcoming Disney film. All in all, this is pretty good comedy.

Since his birthday is coming up, Kuzco wants to build a water park called Kuzcotopia on the site of a village. He calls the leader of the village, Pacha, to his palace to inform him that the whole village has to move out. Pacha obviously isn't happy at the news, but is forced to agree to Kuzco's demand. One thing I like about this film is while Kuzco is definitely a jerk, it's really hard to hate him, and I think it's large in part due to David Spade's excellent performance. Pacha is also a really likable character, and John Goodman does an excellent job as the character.

Meanwhile, Yzma is pretty angry that Kuzco fired her, and she plots to kill him in order to take over the kingdom. This scene has one of the most memorable lines in the movie, with Yzma deciding on how to kill Kuzco. Here it is:

"I'll turn him into a flea, a harmless little flea, and then I'll put that flea in a box, and then I'll put that box inside of another box, and then I'll mail that box to myself, and when it arrives, AHHAHA! I'LL SMASH IT WITH A HAMMA!"

Eartha Kitt's excellent delivery on this line makes it a true stand-out for me. To save on postage, Yzma decides to poison him instead. She invites Kuzco to dinner, and feeds him the poison. However, Kronk mixes up the poison with a different potion, and instead of Kuzco dying, he turns into a llama. Kronk knocks out Kuzco with a pan, and we get another hilarious line from Yzma, largely due to the delivery ("What?!?!? A llama! HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE DEAD!"). Yzma wants Kronk to take llama Kuzco and throw him down a waterfall. However, Kronk, not really being an evil character, ends up skipping the idea (after a weird but amusing scene with his shoulder angel and devil) and llama Kuzco ends up in Pacha's cart, as he heads home to tell his family the bad news.

Pacha can't bring himself to tell his family the news, and right before he discovers Kuzco, we are treated to Kuzco breaking the fourth wall and complaining about how the film is focusing on Pacha and not him. It comes out of nowhere, but it is funny so I can forgive it. After that, Pacha discovers Kuzco, who he refers to as a "demon llama" until he finds out who it is. Kuzco discovers he's a llama and away from his palace, and immediately accuses Pacha of kidnapping him and turning him into a llama. Kuzco decides to go back to the palace and have Yzma change him back, but Pacha is unwilling to help him until he decides to build Kuzcotopia elsewhere, which Kuzco doesn't want.

Kuzco goes into the jungle and encounters a group of sleeping jaguars that look an awful lot like Bagheera. He also meets a squirrel that wants to be a jerk and wake the jaguars up by popping a balloon. This leads to a funny scene where the squirrel pops the balloon, and nothing happens. Kuzco says "Hah!" at the squirrel's plan being foiled, and then the jaguars wake up and chase him. Despite not wanting to help him, Pacha does rescue Kuzco and the two get stuck to a log that goes down a waterfall, where they deliver some good lines before falling down. This also leads to a good scene where Pacha tries to revive Kuzco, but it looks like he's kissing him. Meanwhile, Yzma has become empress, but Kronk reveals that Kuzco is still alive. Yzma is obviously pretty furious, and she tells Kronk that they need to find him before he busts them. I think most people tend to say that Yzma and Kronk are definitely the highlights of the film, and I certainly agree. They're just a ton of fun, even if they're not particularly threatening. Their best scenes are still to come though.

The next day, Kuzco and Pacha start out being nice to each other, but once they cross a rickety bridge over a ravine and are hanging under it where hungry crocodiles are, the two start fighting again. There is some good slapstick and lines in this scene, and Kuzco and Pacha end up working together to get themselves out of the ravine. Pacha assures Kuzco that there is some good in him after he saves him from falling to his death, but Kuzco refuses to believe him, and still insists on building Kuzcotopia. Back with Yzma and Kronk, Kronk is talking to the squirrel from earlier in the film who was tormenting Kuzco. He finds out the way Kuzco is heading, and him and Yzma head for Kuzco. There are some good lines here such as the "exotic bird bingo" bit and the squirrel refusing to talk when Yzma is around.

Kuzco and Pacha go to a diner, where no llamas are allowed. Kuzco disguises himself as a lady by using Pacha's hat and poncho. Yzma and Kronk also come to the diner and it leads to several minutes of Pacha trying to keep Kuzco hidden from them when he overhears Yzma talking about killing Kuzco. The whole diner scene is the highlight scene of the film for me, with a ton of great lines and the way all four characters act in the scene leads to some great humor. After distracting Yzma in the diner with a birthday party, Pacha informs Kuzco outside that she's trying to kill him, but Kuzco, not believing him, argues with him and tells Pacha to get lost. After that, Kuzco sees Yzma and Kronk come out and hears Yzma talking about killing him, realizing Pacha was right the whole time. Kuzco finds Pacha and apologizes to him. Pacha forgives him, and tells him they have to go to his house to get supplies.

On the way home, one of Pacha's neighbors tells him he missed his "relatives", who turn out to be Yzma and Kronk. Kronk remembered seeing Pacha having llama Kuzco in his cart earlier in the film after seeing him at the diner, and he and Yzma went to the village to find Kuzco there. Pacha's wife and kids stall Yzma while Pacha and Kuzco head to the palace to get Kuzco back to being a human. There are some good moments in this scene such as Pacha's wife hitting Kuzco with a pan, Yzma and Kronk locked in the dark room, and the antics the characters get into as they race to the palace.

Kuzco and Pacha reach the palace, but Yzma and Kronk somehow beat them there for the sake of comedy. Yzma has the only human potion, which leads to a fight scene over it. There is actually quite a bit of creativity in the fight as Kuzco changes into different animals such as a turtle, parrot, and a whale, as well as the guards turning into animals as well. Kuzco and Pacha are torn between using one of two potions they have, and Yzma uses one of them. She turns into a cat, which is funny because when she first transforms, she's seen laughing with a deep voice in a dark background, making it seem like she turned into something much more threatening.

The cat Yzma tries to keep Kuzco from drinking the potion, but when she drops it into a tight place, Kuzco is torn between reaching it and Pacha, who is about to fall to his death. He rescues Pacha, and the two use the method they used to get up the ravine earlier in the film to get the potion, and Yzma is foiled by Kronk who hits her with a trap door. Kuzco is now a human again, and despite still building Kuzcotopia, he lets Pacha's house and the village stay. From what it looks like at the end, Kuzco now lives with Pacha and his family, but I'm not 100% sure. In the end, Kuzco has become a kinder person, and Kronk now runs a squirrel scout camp, which Pacha's kids and Yzma, who is still a cat, are part of, which ends the film.

That's The Emperor's New Groove. It's a very different film for Disney, but despite being different, it did succeed it what it tried to do. Its primary focus is obviously trying to be a comedy, and I feel like it succeeded in it. However, I don't think the film is quite as funny as most people say. Most people think this film is gut-bustingly hilarious, and while the film is pretty funny, I don't think it's gut-bustingly hilarious, though it definitely has its great moments and it's a ton of fun, especially the scenes with Yzma and Kronk. The four main characters are pretty enjoyable, the few songs that are there aren't anything special, and the plot is strange, but for a comedy like this, it's fine. I don't have that much else to say about it other than it's a pretty good comedy. I don't think it's the funniest film in the canon like a lot of people say it is (I think that would probably be Robin Hood), but it is one of the funniest and while I did give it an "A", it was extremely close to an "A+". It is definitely worth taking a look at.

Favorite Character: Kronk
Favorite Song: "Perfect World"
Favorite Scene: The diner scene
Final Score: A

Feel free to discuss The Emperor's New Groove, agree or disagree on anything I said, or post any extra thoughts.

Next time, I will review Atlantis: The Lost Empire, so stay tuned for that.

What is your favorite line in the film?

Baloo

You better believe it!
Welcome to part 41 of my project to review every film in the Disney animated canon! Last time, I reviewed The Emperor's New Groove. Here, I will review Atlantis: The Lost Empire, released in 2001. Of all the Disney films released before Zootopia, this is the one that took me the longest to see for the first time. While that doesn't affect the film for me, am I happy to have seen this film, or is it really not a big deal that it took me years to see this? Judging by its cult classic status, there are a lot of people who like this one; so, how is it?

The film starts with a tsunami covering the city of Atlantis underwater. It's saved from being destroyed as the queen of Atlantis is sacrificed, which creates a protective barrier around the city. Many years after the tragedy, the main character, Milo Thatch, tries to convince his employer, Mr. Harcourt (voiced by the late David Ogden Stiers), that Atlantis is a lost city. Harcourt doesn't believe him, saying that Milo should stick to researching real places and not mythical ones. While not a fantastic character, Milo is likable enough to root for and you do like him, even though I don't think he's one of the film's best characters.

When Milo goes home, he meets a woman named Helga, who tells him that her employer has a job opening for him. She takes Milo to the home of Mr. Whitmore, an old man who was friends with Milo's deceased grandfather. Whitmore gives Milo a present from his grandfather, which is the Shepherd's Journal, a book that's the key to finding Atlantis. Knowing of Milo's passion for Atlantis, Whitmore has financed an expedition to Atlantis for Milo to go on. Whitmore isn't in the film that much, but he's kind of entertaining and a decent mentor figure. However, Helga is kind of bland and not particularly interesting.

Milo and Whitmore go to the submarine, where they meet Helga, who's second in command on the trip behind Commander Rourke. The ship, called the Ulysses, soon leaves and Whitmore stays behind. On the ship, Milo is introduced to quite a few characters, and these side characters are by far the best characters in the film. The cast includes an Italian demolitionist named Vinny, a friendly doctor named Joshua Sweet, a tomboyish mechanic named Audrey, a crazy geologist named Mole, a sarcastic deadpan woman reminiscent of Roz from Monsters Inc named Mrs. Packard, and a cook named Cookie. These characters are a lot of fun and they get quite a bit of great lines, particularly Vinny and Mrs. Packard.

Eventually, the Ulysses ends up being attacked by a giant sea creature named the Leviathan. This does lead to a pretty cool action scene with everyone trying to escape the giant monster, and it does manage to be memorable. The attack ends up killing the majority of the crew members. Only Milo, Rourke, Helga, the side characters, and some miscellaneous crew members that are insignificant to the film end up surviving. We got a montage of the remaining crew members traveling through caverns and various landscapes as they head off to Atlantis, and while not that much happens, it does manage to be interesting.

When the crew sets up camp for the night, the side characters, who haven't been particularly friendly with Milo, decide to go easy on him and let him join their group. After escaping from a fire, Milo is separated from the crew and is discovered by a group of Atlanteans. One of them is named Kida, who is the daughter of the Atlantean king. She heals a cut on Milo's chest, but she and the others escape as the crew members enter the area. As Milo chases after them, he and the crew finally end up in Atlantis, where they discover Kida and her group. Milo, knowing Atlantean, communicates with Kida, and it's revealed that the Atlanteans are able to speak many languages, including English.

Kida takes the group through the city of Atlantis to see her father. He is suspicious of the newcomers, but with Rourke's persuasion to let them stay one night to rest and resupply, he reluctantly allows them to stay temporarily. Meanwhile, Milo and Kida meet with each other and ask each other questions about the ways of life for both humans and Atlanteans. Milo explains to Kida how the crew reached Atlantis and Kida shows him the vehicles they used to use, which Milo activates with a crystal. Kida takes Milo underwater, where they discover murals talking about the heart of Atlantis. The crystals the Atlanteans wear are what keep the city alive, and recalling a missing page from the Shepherd's Journal talking about the Heart of Atlantis, Milo resurfaces to go get the journal. Learning about Atlantis and the culture of the citizens does manage to be interesting and while not an amazing character, I do enjoy Kida.

Upon resurfacing, Milo sees Rourke and the others, and it's revealed that Rourke is a villain and everyone involved was only in it to make money by stealing the heart of Atlantis. Rourke knows about the heart of Atlantis since he was who ripped out the missing page of the journal, and he orders Milo to tell him where it is by threatening to kill Kida. Milo takes the crew to the king, who Rourke punches and severely injures when he won't talk. In the king's chamber, the heart of Atlantis is located underground. Rourke and Helga take Milo and Kida underground, and in what is admittedly a pretty cool scene, Kida merges with the heart of Atlantis. While the scene is cool, the weakest thing about the film is Rourke. It's yet another plot twist villain in a Disney film, and he feels like Clayton 2.0. He's boring before he's the villain, it's obvious that he's the villain, and he's boring when he's the villain. While it isn't as obvious as it was with Clayton, the twist that Rourke is evil is predictable and the character is pretty mediocre and uninteresting.

Kida comes out completely crystallized with the heart as a part of her, and Rourke captures her in a crate and plans to sell her for money. After realizing the Atlanteans will die when the heart is gone, the crew has a change of heart and sides with Milo as Rourke and Helga make off with the crystallized Kida and the heart of Atlantis. Milo is called by Sweet to the dying king, who informs him that Kida will be lost forever to the heart if they don't free her with his crystal. He gives Milo his crystal just as he dies, and Milo teaches the Atlanteans how to power their vehicles as he, the crew, and the Atlanteans head off to stop Rourke.

Next, we get a pretty cool fight scene between the heroes and villains. At one point, Rourke throws Helga off the airship they're on to "lighten the load", which kills her. Killing a henchman this way is not something new for Disney; Ratigan did the exact same thing to Fidget in The Great Mouse Detective, and unlike Rourke, Ratigan was actually a great villain. As an axe-welding Rourke fights Milo, he strikes the crate holding the heart of Atlantis. Milo manages to get Rourke to touch it, which makes him crystallized and he gets shredded to death by a propeller.

The volcano the fight is taking place in erupts, and the good guys quickly transport the crate with Kida inside back to Atlantis, where a shield covers the city, protecting it from the lava, and Kida is returned back to normal. Kida honors the crew for saving Atlantis, and as the others go back to tell Whitmore about the Atlantis expedition, Milo, who has fallen in love with Kida, stays behind in Atlantis as Kida becomes the queen.

That's Atlantis: The Lost Empire, and coming back to it, I'm glad to say that this is another one that ended up being a lot better than I remembered, as I recall finding it very mediocre the first time or two I watched it. Similar to something like The Black Cauldron, Atlantis: The Lost Empire feels very different than many Disney films, with no songs and a heavy emphasis on action and adventure. Fortunately, it works for the most part. The main characters are good, the side characters are great, the animation is solid, there's some great action, and it does manage to be interesting. The only issue I have with the film is a big one though, and it's that the two villains are pretty weak. Rourke being evil is super predictable, he and Helga aren't interesting before and after the reveal, and they're very boring, forgettable, and mediocre when compared to Disney villains. They're not as bad as Edgar since unlike him, they're actually evil and threatening, but they're definitely pretty weak as far as Disney villains go. If you can look past the weak villains, I think you're in for an interesting and unique movie that may be better than you remember it being, as was the case with me. It's a pretty good action/adventure flick with some interesting culture and some enjoyable characters.

Favorite Character: Vinny
Favorite Scene: The fight with Rourke and the escape from the volcano
Final Score: A-

Feel free to discuss Atlantis: The Lost Empire, agree or disagree on anything I said, or post any extra thoughts.

Next time, I will review Lilo and Stitch, so stay tuned for that.

Who is your favorite of the film's side characters?

Dr.Pepper

I remember being so excited for Atlantis when it came out, but I was disappointed. I think I would have liked it better if it was more fantasy rather than action. It’s one of my least favorite.

Baloo

You better believe it!
Welcome to part 42 of my project to review every film in the Disney animated canon! Last time, I reviewed Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Here, I will review Lilo and Stitch, released in 2002. Despite the generally mixed reception that this era as a whole receives, this film is universally considered to be the best film of the era and it's easily the biggest financial success of the era. So, do I think it lives up to the hype? Let's see.

In outer space, an evil alien genius named Dr. Jumba Jookiba is put on trial by the Galactic Federation. The Captain of the Galactic Federation, who is a giant alien named Gantu, accuses Jumba of creating illegal aliens, which Jumba calls "experiments". Jumba claims what he is doing is not illegal by showing one of his experiments, Experiment 626, to everyone, claiming that he is genetically modified to be extremely powerful and its sole purpose is to cause destruction. Since the experiment (later called Stitch) is unable to show any signs of being good, Jumba is arrested and the Grand Councilwoman orders Gantu to dispose of Stitch. The only character we get to know much of in this scene is Jumba, who is delightfully crazy and a lot of fun to watch, thanks to the great performance by the late David Ogden Stiers. He calls himself evil, but in reality, he doesn't act that much like a villain, isn't the main antagonist, and is more insane than anything else.

Inside his spaceship, Gantu locks up Stitch and informs him that he is going to be banished to an asteroid. During the travel, Stitch manages to break free, hijacks a police cruiser, and drives it towards Earth. Upon finding out Stitch is targeted to land in Hawaii, the Grand Councilwoman lets Jumba out of prison and orders him to retrieve Stitch from Earth in order to remain out of prison. An alien who studies Earth, named Pleakley, is assigned to help Jumba. Much like Jumba, Pleakley is also a lot of fun and their interactions with each other leads to a lot of good moments.

We then transition to Hawaii, where the film's first song, "He Mele No Lilo", plays as the main human protagonist, Lilo, makes her way off to luau class. The song itself is fine, but nothing fantastic. Here, we learn that Lilo isn't exactly the most normal person in the world, as she thinks that a fish named Pudge controls the weather, and she is seen as an outcast by the rest of the girls in her class. Me personally, I think Lilo's strange mind is quite entertaining to watch with all the crazy things she does, and she's up there with Pinocchio and Penny as one of Disney's best kid characters. After class, she is told by her teacher to wait on the porch for her older sister, Nani, to pick her up, but Lilo heads off to home shortly before Nani arrives.

When Nani runs off to home to make sure Lilo is there, a car nearly backs up into her. She calls the driver a "stupidhead" and kicks his car, which leads to him, a social worker named Cobra Bubbles, following her home, believing her to be a bad guardian figure for Lilo (their parents died in a car crash before the events of the film). Due to Lilo's strange actions, Cobra Bubbles misinterprets them as Nani not taking care of her, even though that isn't the case. He gives Nani three days to change the way she looks after Lilo or else she loses custody of her (Didn't Ursula and Sykes threaten people with a three-day time limit as well?).

Nani is understandably angry with Lilo after Cobra Bubbles leaves, but later that evening, the two forgive each other for how they behaved. Here, we are introduced to arguably the best aspect of the film: the relationship between Lilo and Nani. You can tell they're trying their hardest to be good sisters despite Lilo's actions often getting Nani in trouble with Cobra Bubbles, and they're both easy to sympathize with. Nani is also a great character since it's easy to relate to her being stressed with getting a job and taking care of Lilo, and you really want to see her succeed in the end. I don't think Cobra Bubbles comes across as a jerk to her because although Nani doesn't do anything to deserve punishment, Lilo's strange actions are convincing enough to make you think she's not taking care of her. It's good writing like this that makes it easy to sympathize with all the main human characters. On top of that, the inspection scene is genuinely funny, especially when the "Me Alone" drawing is shown; that got a good laugh out of me.

After hearing Lilo pray about how she wants friends, Nani takes her to the dog shelter the next day to get a pet. The night before, after Stitch landed on Earth, some people found him, mistook him for a dog, and took him to the dog shelter. Naturally, Lilo spots Stitch and wants to adopt him, which worries Nani and the dog shelter owner, who believe there's something wrong with him. Meanwhile, Jumba spots Stitch and tries to capture him, but only for Pleakley to stop him so they don't get seen by the humans.

After a montage of Stitch acting bad around everyone set to the Elvis song "Stuck on You", Lilo and Stitch eat dinner at a restaurant that Nani got hired at. After Stitch attacks two "humans" trying to lure him with food (which are Jumba and Pleakley in disguise), Nani is fired due to Stitch's misbehavior. Frustrated at Stitch, Nani tries to take him back to the dog shelter, but Lilo tells her that Stitch is part of their ohana (family), which means no one gets left behind or forgotten. I haven't talked about Stitch yet, and in my opinion, he's alright. His relationship between Lilo and Stitch is good and he is charming, but I think the film is stronger when it focuses on the relationship between Lilo and Nani.

After an entertaining scene with Jumba and Pleakley encountering mosquitos, it goes to the next day, where Cobra Bubbles gets more skeptical of Nani due to her losing her job and Stitch's behavior. He expects Nani to have a new job and Stitch to be well-behaved the next time he sees them. We then get a montage of Lilo trying to get Stitch to act like Elvis, set to his song "Devil in Disguise", which unfortunately hinders Nani's chances of getting a job. After the montage, Lilo, Stitch, and Nani go surfing with Nani's boyfriend, David, set to the song "Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride". Here is where Stitch slowly starts to realize that his destructive behavior isn't winning people over, and the song itself, while it doesn't sound that much different from the opening song, is better than that one and is pretty good.

After the song ends, Jumba pulls Stitch underwater to capture him, since water is supposed to be Stitch's biggest weakness. Stitch holds onto Lilo as he is pulled underwater. Jumba and Pleakley fail to capture Stitch again, and after the two are rescued by Nani and David, it is revealed that Cobra Bubbles witnessed the whole thing. After telling Nani that he will be taking Lilo away from her the next morning, it transitions to the evening where Stitch feels guilty of causing the separation of the two sisters. Stitch's guilt leads to an effective emotional scene that helps establish this film's meaning of family.

Remember the awkward transition from Bambi's mother's death to the singing birds? We get another somewhat jarring transition here. After Stitch feels guilty for what he's done, it transitions to some comedy from Pleakley, who thinks he's getting attacked by a shark. The Grand Councilwoman, getting irritated by Jumba and Pleakley's lack of progress, fires them and gives Gantu the task of capturing Stitch. Despite being fired, Jumba is not upset and claims he's got an idea on how to get Stitch.

The next morning, Jumba finds Stitch in the woods and informs him that he is a creation of his. It cuts to Lilo's house, where David comes and informs Nani of a job offer. Nani tells Lilo to lock the doors and stay inside while she's gone, and right after she leaves, Jumba chases Stitch into the house. We get some fun action of Stitch trying to escape capture by Jumba, and their fight ends up destroying the house and putting it on fire. During the scene, Lilo gives Cobra Bubbles a phone call about the aliens fighting. Nani arrives home immediately after the alien's fight, to find some firemen and Cobra Bubbles already there. As Cobra Bubbles chastises Nani, Lilo finds Stitch in the woods, finds out he's an alien, and is mad at him.

Suddenly, the two of them are captured by Gantu and put into his spaceship. Nani sees Gantu making off with Lilo, and Stitch manages to escape. While trying to figure out where Lilo is being taken to from Stitch, Nani is interrupted by Jumba and Pleakley, who finally capture Stitch. She asks the two where Lilo is, but they say that they didn't do anything with her and only wanted Stitch. Stitch, getting an idea, enlists Nani, Jumba, and Pleakley to help him get Lilo back. Gantu is supposed to be the film's main antagonist, and as a villain goes, he's unfortunately pretty weak. He's cool-looking, and Kevin Michael Richardson's voice is always amazing to hear, but he's barely in the film enough to pose a threat, is not that evil, doesn't affect the plot that much, and is pretty forgettable as a villain. While I haven't seen it in quite some while, I remember enjoying Gantu a lot more in the T.V. series based off the film than in the film itself as it gave him a lot more to do.

The four get into Jumba's spaceship and follow Gantu's spaceship. After Gantu foils his attempt to rescue Lilo when he gets on his spaceship, Stitch hijacks a truck, drives it into an erupting volcano, and is sent into the air and inside Gantu's ship. While trying to stop Stitch, Gantu is thrown off his ship by Stitch and onto Jumba's ship, where he unintentionally destroys his own ship while trying to attack Stitch. Stitch rescues Lilo and they make it back onto Jumba's ship. As an action scene goes, it's nothing phenomenal, but it works fine.

Jumba's ship lands on the beach, where the Grand Councilwoman has arrived from her spaceship, ready to capture Stitch, and fires Gantu for failing. As he's about to leave, Stitch says goodbye to Lilo and Nani, and Lilo shows the receipt from the dog shelter to the Grand Councilwoman, who decides to let Stitch stay on Earth. After it is revealed that Cobra Bubbles and the Grand Councilwoman know each other, she orders Cobra Bubbles to supervise the family and she, her guards, and Gantu go back to space. Jumba and Pleakley also move in with them, and the film ends with the catchy song "Burning Love" being sung to a montage of the new family, along with David and Cobra Bubbles, spending time together.

That's Lilo and Stitch, and while it's not my #1 favorite film of the post-Renaissance era, it's easily one of the best in the era. The characters of Lilo and Nani are very strong, the message about family is great, Stitch is fine, Jumba and Pleakley are very funny, the songs are decent, the emotional moments are effective, and there's a lot of charm to it. Outside of Gantu being a weak and forgettable villain, everything works pretty well. While it wouldn't place in my top ten, it would place in my top 20, and it is one of the better Disney films. I don't have much to say about it that you haven't heard already, but it's a classic.

Favorite Character: Jumba
Favorite Song: "Burning Love"
Favorite Scene: Cobra Bubbles inspecting the house for the first time

Feel free to discuss Lilo and Stitch, agree or disagree on anything I said, or post any extra thoughts.

Next time, I will review Treasure Planet, so stay tuned for that.

Have you seen the T.V. series of this show? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Baloo

You better believe it!
Welcome to part 43 of my project to review every film in the Disney animated canon! Last time, I reviewed Lilo and Stitch. Here, I will review Treasure Planet, released in 2002. The film was a box-office bomb and it is a film you rarely hear the general public talk about or one that Disney merchandises much. Despite that, it isn't considered awful like some of Disney's films at that time, and the film has grown a considerable fanbase in recent years. What do I think of this film? Let's see.

The film starts with some narration by Tony Jay (the voice of Frollo), talking about a notorious pirate named Captain Flint and his gang robbing a ship for its treasure, vanishing without a trace. Flint's treasure is speculated to be hidden in the titular Treasure Planet. It turns out that this narration is part of a book, being read by a young Jim Hawkins and his mother, Sarah. Twelve years later, Jim is now a teenager, and we get a cool and visually impressive scene of him riding this solar surfer. The animation in this film is easily among Disney's best, and it's up there with Tarzan and a few of the Disney Revival films as one of the best in the animation department.

Jim is caught flying in a restricted area, and is sent by two robot cops to his mother's restaurant, the Benbow Inn. Apparently, it turns out Jim has gotten into trouble like this plenty of times before, which makes his mother angry when he is going to be sent to juvenile hall the next time he gets into trouble. Jim goes outside to be alone, and he witnesses a spacecraft crash nearby. A pirate named Billy Bones comes out and fears about a cyborg coming after his treasure. He warns Jim, Sarah, and a friend of theirs called Dr. Delbert Doppler to "beware the cyborg" as he dies.

Suddenly, a group of pirates led by the cyborg arrive at the Benbow Inn and destroy it, looking for the treasure. Jim, Sarah, and Doppler escape the destroyed inn and head to Doppler's house. Jim was given a spherical object by Billy Bones, and when he opens it, it turns out to be a map, showing the way to Treasure Planet. Jim, excited to relive his childhood memories, plans to go with Doppler to Treasure Planet and use the treasure to rebuild the destroyed inn. His mother isn't very pleased by the decision, but reluctantly lets him go because of Doppler's excitement. Despite the fact that the film hasn't really done anything too big yet, I have enjoyed it so far. Jim is a flawed, yet likable character, and Doppler, largely due to his excellent voice actor (David Hyde Pierce) and getting some genuinely funny moments, is one of my favorite characters in the film.

In the morning, Jim and Doppler head to the spaceport (fantastic animation there, by the way), where they meet the ship they're taking, the RLS Legacy. After one annoying fart joke that's the worst part of the film, they discover Captain Amelia (much like Doppler, Amelia's voice actor, Emma Thompson, does a phenomenal job) and her first mate, Mr. Arrow. Jim and Doppler show Amelia the map to Treasure Planet, and Amelia assigns Jim to work with the cook on kitchen duty. A minor thing, but I really like the chemistry between Doppler and Amelia, largely due to the excellent voice actors playing off each other. Much like Doppler, Amelia is a lot of fun and another great character.

The cook of the ship turns out to be a cyborg named John Silver, played excellently by Brain Murray. He has a shapeshifting blob sidekick named Morph, and he also turns out to be the cyborg that destroyed the Benbow Inn, so he appears to be the villain of the film. The two don't like each other at first, with Jim being suspicious of the cyborg and Silver being worried of Jim catching on to him. Silver acts like he doesn't know who Billy Bones is or what Montressor is (the place where Jim lives), but says to Morph that they have to keep an eye on Jim once he leaves the room. I don't have too much to say on John Silver at this moment, but I will say that I think he's easily the best character in this film, one of Disney's most underrated characters, and one of my favorite Disney characters. This is just a phenomenal and genuinely well-written character.

The RLS Legacy takes off into the sky (some more fantastic animation is seen here), and Jim becomes a target of a group of bully aliens, particularly with a spider-like creature named Scroop. As Scroop is about to harm Jim, John Silver stops him, and Mr. Arrow appears to chastise Scroop for fighting on the ship. We also find out that the bully aliens are working for John Silver, and they plan to stage a mutiny on the ship when it gets closer to Treasure Planet. That night, Silver talks to Jim, and Jim reveals to him that his father was neglectful, which causes Silver to feel a little bit of sympathy for him, but decides to overwork Jim instead. This leads to a music number called "I'm Still Here", which is set to a montage of Silver working Jim and the two slowly starting to understand each other. We also see a flashback of Jim's father, who abandoned Jim and his mother for no apparent reason. As the montage goes on, John Silver slowly reveals his true colors, being a flawed character who often shows his bad traits, but does have a good heart, and he becomes a father-like figure for Jim. The song itself is also excellent and one of Disney's finest.

After Jim and Silver return from star-chasing, they have a genuine heart to heart talk and Silver reveals that he got his robotic parts because he lost those real ones by pursuing his dream of finding Treasure Planet. Suddenly, the RLS Legacy is attacked by a supernova turning into a black hole. As everyone on the ship prepares for the attack, Jim and Silver tie down life-lines in case of death (Silver nearly dies at one moment, but Jim rescues him). As the ship escapes the black hole, Scroop sends Mr. Arrow falling to his death by cutting off one of the life-lines with his hand. Scroop manipulates Amelia into believing Jim let Mr. Arrow die, which leaves Jim heartbroken. As Jim frets about him "killing" Mr. Arrow, John Silver, who knows that Scroop killed Mr. Arrow, appears and delivers a motivational speech to make Jim feel better. This scene is a highlight of the film, for not only Silver showing off his true colors again, but also for the words he uses in his speech being genuinely motivating. You can tell he is being serious when he's trying to help Jim and he's not cheating on him.

Unfortunately, it turns out Scroop was eavesdropping on their conversation, and he accuses Silver of having a soft spot for Jim. Not wanting to be made fun of, the cyborg lies and says he doesn't like Jim and only cares about Flint's treasure, which Jim happens to overhear, thinking Silver is betraying him. As the ship approaches Treasure Planet, John Silver and his gang take over the ship. As Jim heads off with the map, Morph takes it, which has him conflicted on bringing it to Jim or Silver. Jim gets it, and just as Silver is about to kill him to get the map back, he goes against it, knowing that even though he really wants the treasure, he does love Jim more. Jim escapes with Doppler and Amelia, and as they crash in a weird location, Amelia is injured by an attack on their ship.

Morph reveals the map is hidden on the ship, and as he and Jim explore the new area, they come across B.E.N., a crazy robot who has lost his memory chip, and also serves as a comic relief character. B.E.N. has been marooned for a hundred years, and he knows of Captain Flint and his treasure, but can't figure out exactly where it is without his memory. I know a lot of people hate B.E.N. and think he's annoying, and as for me, while I can see how someone would find him annoying, I didn't mind him. He gets a few good lines and he has a reason for why he is crazy due to his isolation. I don't love the character and I can see how someone would dislike him, but I think he's a decent comic relief character.

B.E.N. takes Jim and his friends to his home, where Doppler tends to Amelia's wounds. John Silver and his gang show up at B.E.N.'s place, thinking they still have the map. Silver apologizes to Jim for his words from earlier, and offers to let Jim have an even portion of the treasure if he lets him use the map. Jim gets mad at Silver at his betrayal from earlier and rejects the offer. This makes Silver angrily declare that he's going to blast them with the ship's laser cannons on them in the morning if they don't give him the map, but as he leaves, you can see a look of sadness and regret on his face, showing that despite what has happened, he still loves Jim.

After getting the threat, B.E.N. shows Jim a secret passage that leads to the RLS Legacy. As Jim finds the map, B.E.N. tries to disable the laser cannons, only for Jim to be caught by Scroop. There's some fantastic animation as Scroop chases Jim through the ship, and as B.E.N. messes with the cables, the ship goes into low-gravity mode, sending everyone upwards. Jim saves himself, but as Scroop is about to kill Jim, he ends up falling off upwards into space, giving him excellent karma for killing Mr. Arrow in a very similar way to how he just died.

B.E.N. disables the laser cannons, and they head back to his home with the map, where Silver and his gang are waiting for them. Silver fails to open the map, and Jim reluctantly opens it for him. Everyone heads off in the direction of the map, and at a dead end, Jim puts the map in a crater in the ground, forming a huge portal that grants access to Treasure Planet. Inside is a ton of gold, which fascinates Silver and the other pirates. Jim and B.E.N. discover Flint's skeleton, which holds B.E.N.'s memory chip in his hand. Upon regaining his memory, B.E.N. warns everyone that the entire planet is a landmine, which is immediately set off, killing some of the pirates.

As Jim and B.E.N. try to escape on a ship in the planet, John Silver comes on board to get the treasure. As the two are seemingly about to fight, the ship is hit and Jim falls off of it, with a giant laser of death coming towards him. Silver has to choose between getting Jim or the gold, and in the end, being a good person at heart, he chooses Jim. This means that he is willing to sacrifice his dream that he has been pursuing his whole life and lost several of his body parts because of it just because he loves Jim that much. If that doesn't prove John Silver's a great character, I don't know what else would.

Jim and Silver escape back to the RLS Legacy, where they find Doppler, Amelia, and B.E.N. on board ready to leave. Jim and Silver realize the only way out is going back through the portal, and Silver helps create a solar surfer for Jim to ride on as he plans to change the destination the portal leads to to being the spaceport. We get a really awesome and intense escape scene where everyone just barely manages to escape. It is a great action-packed climax with some awesome music playing during it.

Back on board, everyone is impressed by Jim's heroic actions, and Amelia tells him that she's recommending him to a space academy. Below the ship, Jim sees John Silver about to escape, having been told by Amelia that she's taking him to prison. Realizing that Silver's sacrifice to save his life was outstanding and that he really isn't that bad of a person, Jim decides to let him go. As the two share their goodbyes, Silver tells Morph to go with Jim, and he gives him some (debatably all) of the treasure he got so Jim can help his mother rebuild the Benbow Inn. After Silver leaves, Jim heads home, where the Benbow Inn is rebuilt. B.E.N. gets a job there, Doppler and Amelia are married and have kids, and Jim has graduated from the space academy. To end off the film, we see Jim looking into the sky to remember John Silver, seeing an image of the cyborg as a cloud in the sky.

Before I give my final thoughts, I want to briefly talk about John Silver. He is a fantastic character, and a bit of a rarity amongst most Disney villains. He's one of several Disney villains that aren't particularly evil, and unlike most of these types of villains, he isn't really played for laughs. He does get some funny moments, but he's mostly a very fascinating, charming, interesting, and despite his flaws, genuinely likable character. I really like how they don't make that he's the leader of the mutiny a twist, and he's pretty much the complete opposite of Disney's twist villains. He starts out the film as an antagonist (albeit not really evil), but over time, Jim and the audience discover that Silver has a good heart despite his greed. Even with his gold obsession and temporarily betraying Jim, he doesn't want to kill Jim and still means well, even if he lets his greed get to him. While I wouldn't call him a truly heroic character due to his flaws, I wouldn't necessarily call him a true villain (Scroop is the most evil villain in the film and is more like a traditional Disney villain), and more of flawed, but well-meaning person that has a good heart. In my opinion, John Silver is the best thing about the film, and is easily one of Disney's best and most underrated characters. Considering I think he's great enough to give characters like Baloo and Genie a run for their money, they really did something right with this character.

That's Treasure Planet, and as you can probably tell, I'm very positive about this film. It's pretty similar to Atlantis: The Lost Empire in terms of how it feels and being a more adventure-oriented film, and I think it works better here. The animation is among the best in the canon, the characters are great, the action is awesome, the casting is among Disney's best (particularly with Brian Murray, David Hyde Pierce, and Emma Thompson), and unlike Atlantis: The Lost Empire, where the villain is the worst aspect of that film, the villain is the best aspect of this film. I already praised John Silver enough, but I really do think he's one of Disney's best characters; top five, no questions asked. When the worst thing about the film is a fart joke that is easy to forget about, that means it's pretty darn good. Treasure Planet is one of my favorite Disney films, and I highly recommend you check it out if you've never seen it.

Favorite Character: John Silver
Favorite Song: "I'm Still Here"
Favorite Scene: Any scene with John Silver

Feel free to discuss Treasure Planet, agree or disagree on anything I said, or post any extra thoughts.

Next time, I will review Brother Bear, so stay tuned for that.

What are your thoughts on John Silver?

Freddy

Treasure Planet is probably the most flawed movie that I still love unironically. I would honestly place it somewhere in my TOP-5 of all-time favorite Disney movies.

For whatever reason, I love father/son - stories and feel that the one between Jim and Silver is done perfectly and helps me to forgive a lot of flaws of the movie. The two characters have convincing chemistry, I buy every emotional scene between them and their story-arcs leave me satisfied at the end, all of which in turn keeps me invested throughout the movie.

I also think that Doctor Doppler and Captain Amelia are fun supporting characters, who have good chemistry of their own. Not to mention, the animation and action set pieces are breathtaking.

Where movie falls down is some of the humor and world-building. I could have done without the fart jokes and B.E.N. (thank God, he doesn’t come to play until close to the end), and it is just weird how the vacuum of the space is danger for the characters, but they are still travelling through it in a futuristic sailing ship (I know that some fans like to hand wave this by saying that they probably have some kind of invisible force fields, but I doubt that Jim’s makeshift hoverboard at the end had one). I’m also not the biggest fan of Jim’s character design and some of his attitude, since they just scream “90’s cool kid” stereotype, which has dated horribly.

Still, I really love this movie. I can see why it wasn’t a huge success when it came out, but I also see why it got a cult-following after the fact.

Baloo

You better believe it!
Welcome to part 44 of my project to review every film in the Disney animated canon! Last time, I reviewed Treasure Planet, which is easily one of my favorite Disney films. Here, I will review Brother Bear, released in 2003. From what it seems online, Brother Bear is generally considered to be one of Disney's worst movies and a lot of people don't like it. Despite that, I really liked it as a kid and even as a teenager, and it was one of my favorites when I was younger. Now that I'm an adult, do I still like it as much as I used to, or is the general reception starting to get to me more? Let's see.

The film starts with some narration by an old man named Denahi, who recalls a story of himself and his two brothers when he was younger, with one older than him named Sitka, and one younger than him named Kenai. They often tend to fight and mess around with each other, but they have each other's best interests at heart. As they head off to their tribe to get totems of animals that symbolize their path in life, the song "Great Spirits" plays. The songs in this film are very similar to the songs in Tarzan, in that they are written and sung by Phil Collins again, and much like that film, this movie has one of Disney's best soundtracks, and a criminally underrated one at that. Despite this song being sung by Tina Turner instead of Phil Collins, it's still a great song. However, Bambi's mother, along with Bambi, make cameo appearances yet again..., albeit redesigned in the style of this movie. I think by now you can probably see why Bambi's mother's death doesn't hit me as hard as most people if she keeps appearing with fairly distracting cameos in other Disney films.

Kenai is expecting a really good totem, since Sitka has an eagle to symbolize guidance and Denahi has a wolf to symbolize wisdom, which are seen as better totems. Much to his disappointment, the tribe's shaman, Tanana, presents him with a bear totem to symbolize love. To add to his frustration, a bear is eating some salmon from a basket Kenai failed to properly tie up. Once Kenai attacks the bear, the bear starts to attack him. His brothers find out about the attack, and the three end up with the bear on the top of a giant glacier. As the bear heads towards Kenai, who is trying to save Denahi from falling through the glacier, Sitka breaks the glacier with his spear, sending him and the bear falling hundreds of feet into the water. The bear survives the fall, but Sitka doesn't. This bear fight scene is really awesome, and killing off a likable character this early (unlike some characters (aka Trusty and Chief), Sitka is actually dead for real) is a risky thing that Disney doesn't usually do. So far, the movie has been really good. It has good culture, I like the songs and characters, and the drama is pretty effective.

Upset that Sitka was killed and not the bear, Kenai wants to kill the bear. Denahi tells him that killing the bear won't work, but Kenai claims that he should go because "man wouldn't just sit here and do nothing". As Denahi heads off to stop Kenai, Kenai and the bear meet again, with the two fighting up on a mountain. Kenai ends up killing the bear with a spear. The Spirits of the Mountain, wanting to teach him a lesson, turn Kenai into a bear and send him far away from the mountain. Denahi arrives just before Kenai disappears and thinks Kenai is dead and Kenai (in bear form) is the bear from earlier. As such, Denahi wants to avenge both his brothers by wanting to kill Kenai (who he doesn't know has transformed into the bear). The scene when Kenai is transformed into a bear is one of the film's best scenes, due to the fantastic animation and the awesome music playing. Also, this film doesn't really have a villain (the villain is the concept of revenge), and I like how despite Kenai/Denahi try to kill the bear/bear Kenai, they're not trying to be bad people, and are doing what they think is right, even if it is wrong. As much as I love Disney villains, I can forgive the lack of a villain in this film, and I'd rather it be executed like this than have a boring and unneeded twist villain.

Kenai is revived by Tanana, who informs him that the spirit in particular who did the transformation is Sitka, and if he can go back to the mountain where he killed the bear, Sitka can turn him back into a human. A neat thing about this film is that while the animals can talk, their words as interpreted as animal sounds by the humans. Kenai meets two moose brothers named Rutt and Tuke, who pretty much serve no importance to the film other than being comic relief. As Kenai tries to get them to help him get to the mountain, they provide no help and call him crazy. Rutt and Tuke are pretty much the definition of "meh" to me. They don't really serve any purpose other than comic relief, and while they're not super annoying per say, they're not that funny or charming either, they get a little too much screen time for how little they contribute, and almost all of their jokes fall flat for me.

After that, Kenai gets caught in a trap and meets a talkative bear cub named Koda, who offers to let him out of the trap if he can take him to a salmon run. They "pinky swear" (yeah, that's kind of stupid), and Kenai gets out of the trap. Denahi then shows up to attack Kenai, but he loses him as Kenai and Koda hide under a glacier. Koda informs Kenai that he got separated from his mother, and that the mountain Kenai is going to is close to the salmon run. Before I continue on, I do have to say that I feel like Kenai can be a little too selfish and whiny at times, but I don't think it ever reaches intolerable territory and he does mature/get better as the film goes on. As for Koda, I have mixed thoughts on him. He has more personality than most of Disney's kid characters, but I wouldn't be lying if I said he can get a little tiring at times. He's very talkative, and he just rambles on about stuff and unlike someone like Colonel Hathi or Owl who do similar ramblings like that, it can get annoying here. However, much like Kenai, I do think Koda gets better as the film goes on, as I feel his rambling starts to slow down and I get more into their developing relationship then.

The next day, the two head off to their destination as Phil Collins sings "On My Way", and along the way, Kenai slowly starts to grow a liking to Koda. It's very reminiscent of the songs in Tarzan, and just like those songs, this one is awesome. Kenai and Koda continue to the salmon run, where they see some cave paintings of humans negatively depicting bears, a pair of rams that yell at their echos to shut up in a pretty unfunny scene, and a geyser-lava land, where they are greeted by another attack by Denahi. The song and the geyser-lava land scene are enjoyable, but the rest of these scenes aren't that special and they're mostly just listening to Koda and the two moose talk.

After escaping Denahi, the two end up at the salmon run, where they are greeted by a bear named Tug, who Koda treats as a father-like figure. Tug tells Kenai that all the bears at the salmon run are their family. This leads to another song, "Welcome", which plays as Kenai explores the salmon run to experience more of the life of a bear. Once again, the songs in this film fail to disappoint, and it's pretty good. After the song, it's time for the bears to share stories of their life (there is a pretty funny moment where an old female bear thinks her husband is dead, only for him to yell off-screen to her that he's still alive). When it's Koda's turn, he talks about how he got separated by his mother, involving three "hunters" and a glacier. As you can probably guess, Koda's mother is the bear Kenai killed earlier in the film. I'll agree with everyone that this twist is extremely predictable, but Disney isn't always the best at unpredictability, so I can excuse it. I don't see what about it is worse than the twists that Clayton and Rourke are the villains, since those twists are also completely obvious.

Feeling guilty for killing Koda's mom, Kenai runs away from the salmon run, only to be rejoined by Koda. As Kenai reveals to Koda that he killed his mother, Phil Collins sings "No Way Out" in the background. A lot of people complain that this song takes away from hearing Kenai revealing what happened to Koda's mother, but to me, I think people are probably overreacting to it. We know what Kenai is saying, and the song itself is also pretty good, even if a better version of it plays in the credits. I do agree that the film probably should have just played the conversation and not the song over it, but for what we got, while it's flawed, it's really not that bad and I'm fine with the scene.

Kenai heads off to the mountains while Sitka's spirit as an eagle guides Denahi to the mountains as well. Meanwhile, Koda is upset at his friend's actions killing his mother. Rutt and Tuke, who have spent most of their "hilarious" screen time yelling at each other, come nearby Koda and apologize to each other for their actions and make up. This gives Koda the idea to make up with Kenai. On the mountain, Denahi attacks Kenai again, and Koda intervenes by stealing Denahi's spear. Wanting to keep Denahi from possibly hurting Koda, Kenai runs to the cub's rescue.

Just as Denahi is about to kill Kenai in exactly the same way Kenai killed Koda's mother, Sitka's spirit stops the fight, and transforms Kenai back into a human. Unfortunately, since animals can't talk to humans, Kenai can't interact with Koda anymore, but knowing Koda needs him, Kenai has Sitka turn him back into a bear. Koda also briefly reunites with the spirit of his mother, right before she and Sitka disappear back into the sky and Kenai goes with Koda to live at the salmon run. The film ends with Kenai putting his paw print on the wall of their tribe's home, as a reprise of "Great Spirits" plays. This ending is awesome and I think is one of Disney's best, largely due to the fantastic background music and everyone winning in the end.

I don't usually talk about the film's ending credits, but here, I feel the need to because of a really strong element in it. It starts out with some outtakes, which are mostly just okay. Very few of them made me laugh, as most of them involve Rutt and Tuke, but they're at least short and inoffensive. After that, we get two Phil Collins songs: "Look Through My Eyes" and a reprise of "No Way Out". Both of them are AMAZING and among Disney's best songs. After that, we end on a post-credits joke with Koda telling the audience that "no fish were harmed in the making of this film", only for bears to start chasing fish right after he says it. Nothing special, but inoffensive.

That's Brother Bear, and while it's no longer a personal favorite of mine due to some issues I have with it, I still enjoy the film and I think it deserves more appreciation. The songs, like Tarzan, are awesome and among Disney's best. The animation is pretty good, the chemistry between the brothers is great, and I do like the decisions to kill off Sitka for real and to have Kenai remain a bear. However, there are some issues with the film. The biggest one I have is that there aren't any characters in the film I consider great. My favorite is probably Denahi since I do enjoy the struggle he goes through with losing both of his brothers, but while he's good, he's not great. Tanana and Sitka are fine, Kenai and Koda have their annoyances, but those annoyances are mostly in the first half and they do become more likable as it goes on, and Rutt and Tuke are incredibly mediocre comic relief characters. I also feel like the second third of the film isn't particularly strong, but it's not bad, just not special. In short, my thoughts on the characters of Kenai and Koda are kind of similar to my thoughts on the film as a whole, albeit a little more positive in regards to the film. It has its annoyances and flaws here and there, but if you can look past them, I think it is a good movie, thanks to the animation, drama, and music. There is clearly effort put into it, and I think if the characters were a little better and if the second third was a little stronger, it would be a really good film. As it is, I still enjoyed it thanks to its high highs, and I don't think it's anywhere as bad as people say it is, despite some flaws.

Favorite Character: Denahi
Favorite Song: "Look Through My Eyes"
Favorite Scene: Kenai's transformation
Final Score: B

Feel free to discuss Brother Bear, agree or disagree on anything I said, or post any extra thoughts.

Next time, I will review Home on the Range, so stay tuned for that.

Comparing this film to Tarzan, which one do you think has the better soundtrack?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
For such a hated film, it did okay at the box office. I still haven't seen it yet, but if all of the bad movies from this era did the box office Brother Bear did Disney would probably still be doing 2-D animation.

Baloo

You better believe it!
Welcome to part 45 of my project to review every film in the Disney animated canon! Last time, I reviewed Brother Bear. However, I'm now going to review a film I have a hard time calling anything of quality, Home on the Range, released in 2004. The film itself is universally panned, with just about everyone considering it one of Disney's worst films, if not, the worst. Is it as bad as everyone says it is? Yes. So, lets see what this "masterpiece" is like.

The film starts with a forgettable and mediocre song named after the film. After the song, we are introduced to the main character, a cow named Maggie, voiced by Roseanne Barr. She used to live on a ranch with a bunch of cows, but one night, a cattle rustler named Alameda Slim steals every cow on the ranch except for her, which prompts her owner to sell her to a small farm called Little Patch of Heaven. When she arrives, we get treated to a mediocre and forgettable song named after the farm itself, as well as a bunch of animals that are either bland, annoying, or both. You can tell right away that this isn't going to be very good when there's about 10 seconds of nothing but three pigs burping in this scene.

Suddenly, the town's sheriff, Sam, arrives and warns the farm's owner, Pearl, that Little Patch of Heaven will be shut down and sold, unless they can make a large amount of money in three days (Three days count: 4). In order to save the farm, Maggie takes two cows with her, named Mrs. Calloway and Grace, to go to town and find a way to make money. As for main characters go, these three are incredibly weak, annoying, and/or unlikable. Maggie has a brash attitude that gets obnoxious very quickly, and if you're not a Roseanne fan, you probably won't like her. Mrs. Calloway is stuffy and uptight but with no charm to her and it gets old quick. Grace isn't terrible, but she does get very annoying when she sings and there's little about her to praise. Despite these weak characters, there is a worse character in this film I'll be talking about soon.

When the cows get into town, they wind up getting into a pointless and annoying saloon fight. After that, a popular bounty hunter named Rico arrives in town and gives Sam a captured criminal. Rico offers to go after Alameda Slim, and he takes Sam's horse, Buck, who idolizes Rico, with him. The three cows overhear Rico and Sam's conversation, and the award happens to be $750, which is coincidentally exactly enough money needed in order to save the farm, and they go out to capture him. I would like to say a little bit about Buck and tell you that he is SUPER ANNOYING and way too self-obsessed and egotistical to be likable. I know Disney has done characters similar to him before like Gaston, Georgette, Kuzco, etc., but none of them come across as annoying to the audience, are actually entertaining, and they all have charm to them. Buck absolutely gets annoying, lacks any charm, is the worst character in the film, and one of my least favorite Disney characters. Of all the characters so far in the canon, Kron is the only person who can compete with him in how much I despised them, and when I say I hate Buck, I mean it passionately.

That night, the three cows enter an area full of cattle who decide to hit on them for the sake of unfunny comedy. Soon, Alameda Slim enters the area and starts to hypnotize the cattle with his villain song, "Yodel-Adle-Eedle-Idle-Oo". This song also has the grand honor of being my personal least favorite Disney song of all time, for not only being very annoying and not very catchy, but for not even sounding like a villain song at all. I know Disney has done upbeat villain songs before, like "Hi Diddle Dee Dee" and "Fe Fi Fo Fum", but those songs never got annoying, were catchy, the characters singing those songs were great, and the songs had their reasons for not sounding villainous (Foulfellow's "Hi Diddle Dee Dee" is supposed to be a metaphor for temptation, and Willie singing "Fe Fi Fo Fum" makes sense since he wasn't necessarily villainous). Speaking of Slim, he's one of the weakest villains in Disney history. I'll give him credit that unlike someone like Edgar, he's actually a villain, but he and his obnoxious henchmen, the Willie Brothers, try way too hard to be funny and fail at it and aren't threatening enough to be entertaining/interesting.

After the song, the cows run into Buck, who starts acting obnoxious again to both the characters and the audience. Rico, having enough of Buck, ditches him and goes off to catch Slim on his own. After Buck acts obnoxious some more, he decides to go after Slim on his own. We then cut to Slim's hideout, where he has captured all the cattle from his villain song. Slim's supposedly evil but mostly stupid plan is to steal cattle from every farm he can, disguise himself as an auctioneer, go to the farms, and buy them since the farmers have nothing left. Apparently, the only reason he has never attempted to purchase Little Patch of Heaven is because one of his henchmen blocks the farm's location on a map every time since his head is coincidentally exactly the same shape as the farm. Upon discovering the farm is for sale, Slim prepares to purchase it.

Meanwhile, we get some more obnoxiousness with Buck, who tries to do everything he can to keep the cows from capturing Slim, and then a flash flood occurs and attempts to drown the cows. The cows escape the flood and make it to higher ground, and we get another weak song called "Will the Sun Ever Shine Again?". This is supposed to be the "sad" scene of the film since everyone's depressed during it, and I really don't think it works since these characters are too annoying or bland to warrant interest.

The next day, the cows come across a rabbit named Lucky Jack, who used to live in a gold mine until Slim purchased it. He offers to help them find Slim's hideout. While nothing special, I'll give Lucky Jack some credit that he isn't annoying and he is the best character in the film. However, that isn't saying much since he's only okay at best. At Slim's hideout, a man named Mr. Wesley (played by Steve Buscemi) arrives. Wesley is the person who buys the cattle from Slim, which Slim uses to purchase the farmland. It's a shame that this character is so forgettable and unneeded because Steve Buscemi is a great actor and he already did a great performance in a Disney film with Randall from Monsters Inc three years earlier.

The group reaches Slim's hideout, where a buffalo named Junior forbids Buck from entering and lets the cows in. The cows find Slim loading up the cattle in a train to head off to Little Patch of Heaven to buy it. They knock out Slim into a mine cart and head off through the mines, where they run into Buck being chased by Junior. We also get the highlight of the film in this scene. The cows accidentally knock Junior down a shaft, and what sound does he do when he falls down? The Goofy holler! That did get a chuckle out of me because I wasn't expecting it and the Goofy holler is a classic. Despite that, it was only good for 2-3 seconds, and I can think of at least four Disney films that also have the Goofy holler in it (Fun and Fancy Free, Cinderella, The Rescuers, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame), all of them being much better than this "masterpiece".

During the chase scene, Buck is reunited with Rico, but after it, it's revealed that Rico is a villain and was working for Slim the whole time. It's a plot twist villain in a Disney film. Coming off shortly after the twist villains of Clayton and Rourke, we get yet another twist villain and yet again they're pretty weak and yet again this won't be the last time Disney is going to do this. I'll give them some credit that the twist that Rico is a villain isn't super predictable, but that doesn't mean the character is good. As Slim heads off with his disguise to Little Patch of Heaven to buy it, the cows, along with Buck, get into this train chase that has more annoyance and uninteresting action. As expected, the three cows reach the farm and bust Alameda Slim. He's arrested and they get the prize money, keeping the farm alive. Lucky Jack, Junior, and the pair of cattle that tried to hit on the cows earlier move in with the farm, and the film ends with a reprise of "Little Patch of Heaven".

That's Home on the Range, and when people say it's one of Disney's worst, there's a good reason why they say it. It is absolutely terrible, and the first film so far that I would say is genuinely bad. There's a lot that's bad here. The majority of the characters are annoying, bland and forgettable, or both, the songs are mediocre and forgettable, it has my least favorite Disney song, the animation isn't that good, Buck is one of Disney's worst characters, and most importantly, it's very annoying. It also doesn't help that very little about it is good, and the good elements there are only minor positives. Lucky Jack is okay, the random Goofy holler was funny, and unlike something like Dinosaur, I can at least say it isn't boring. However, the obnoxiousness is too much for me and despite being one of the shorter Disney movies, it is a chore to sit through. I definitely hate this film a lot and I'd only recommend watching it if you're trying to watch every film in the animated canon. It's easily one of the two worst films in the canon, and it's easily the worst one so far.

Favorite Character: Lucky Jack
Favorite Song: "Will the Sun Ever Shine Again?" (I guess?)
Favorite Scene: Junior doing the Goofy holler
Final Score: F-

Feel free to discuss Home on the Range, agree or disagree on anything I said, or post any extra thoughts.

Oh boy, that was bad. Hopefully the next film will be better. Oh wait, the next one is Chicken Little

Is there anything you find good in this film?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts