Ren And Stimpy Reboot For Comedy Central

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
I personally think it would be incredibly fitting and cathartic if this reboot were canceled in favor of a "Camp Weedonwantcha" series. Too bad that probably won't happen.

I agree...but not by Nickelodeon.
There's a good reason why Nick didn't pick it up: The tone of the comic gets incredibly bleak as it goes on. It may even become too dark for the network if they directly adapt the source material.
I feel a streaming service would be a better home for it.

Dantheman

I was in high school when Ren and Stimpy came on, and I remember having a T-shirt of them (but then again, I wore t-shirts with cartoon characters on them, like Taz and Rocky and Bullwinkle).

So yeah, it was big.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Beavis & Butthead, Clone High and now Ren & Stimpy. I wonder if a revival/reboot of Kappa Mikey might be on the horizon as well?

I'm gonna say no on that one. But I do like the theme song.

Okay I don't want to totally deflate and totally switch gears on the topic but... how is Mao Mao Heroes of Pure Heart being treated badly by Cartoon Network? Like they constantly played that ad for it's last run of new episodes of season one for a month straight and announced a season 2 that's obviously coming to the main network either later this year or next as Mao Mao is a show they are still showing... granted only like a half hour of it a day but to CN "we literally only play seven shows per day" logic that's actually still pretty good for something still not in it's second season yet so it's doing fine and working well on CN.

Check the Mao Mao thread for more.

EDIT:

If it makes anyone feel any better, Nickelodeon fired John K. from the show back in 1992. So I mean, that's like several years other creators, NOT John K., were working on the show.

As Spaceman said, bringing up the whole "John K. is a bad person" kind of muddies the argument. Look at PIXAR and John Lasseter's problematic behavior.

Last edited:

PF9

I was thinking Comedy Central reboot a live action property too.

Perhaps Spin City, which is owned by Paramount Television Studios through its ownership of the DreamWorks live action TV library. It was once syndicated by the first PTV which produced Michael J. Fox's earlier series Family Ties.

FTPC

I guess Comedy central will reboot anything to stay alive in the Syndication area of tv because of the cv19 and reason two networks just don't care anymore Much like tbs and TNT

Look I grew up watching both Beavis and butt-head and Ren and Stimpy
so I asking comedy central how do you plan to bottle that 90's gen-x magic that
these two shows had and try to sell it to the Gen Y and Z kids of today?

harry580

why cant they make a show based on the rumored/fake ed edd n eddy where the 3 eds are named after europeon cities instead

at least its not being made by wacko script hating pedo lasseter wannabe

Light Lucario

Staff member
Admittedly, I don't think that a petition will do much good. I think people choosing to not financially support anything involving Ren and Stimpy would have a much bigger impact on the reboot, but I certainly don't blame Robyn Byrd for going in this direction either. Maybe the petition will work out better than expected and I hope that it does. She was one of the people sexually groomed by John K., so hearing that it was coming back even without his involvement would still hit her and potentially the other women he sexually harassed pretty hard. Images of the new show will be more common than the old show and I wouldn't be shocked if some jerks throw gifs of the reboot on their Twitter handles to upset them too. Choosing to reboot the series even after learning about what John K. did would understandably make people like Robyn Byrd upset too.

TheCartoonRailfan

Riding the Rails
As much as I love Ren and Stimpy, I have mixed feelings about the new series. On one hand, I can't wait for the reboot to be released and see all the changes regarding the animation style since the original series was cancelled 25 years ago. On the other hand, I want something completely original and it rather annoys me when a series is constantly being rebooted when the creators could focus on something brand-new.

I'll just have to wait and see how the new series turns out.

TeridaxXD001

Wow, an adult-oriented version of Ren & Stimpy with vulgar humor, language and visuals? What a novel idea!

...seriously, though, didn't they learn the first time? I mean they canceled after three episodes aired. Three. Episodes. Well, four if you count the fake episode that was just "Man's Best Friend and the uncut "Big House Blues" pilot paired together.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Wow, an adult-oriented version of Ren & Stimpy with vulgar humor, language and visuals? What a novel idea!

...seriously, though, didn't they learn the first time? I mean they canceled after three episodes aired. Three. Episodes. Well, four if you count the fake episode that was just "Man's Best Friend and the uncut "Big House Blues" pilot paired together.

Well is it confirmed that's the direction they want to go in for the reboot?

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Take this for what you will since I said before he wasn’t involved, but Bob Camp says he heard it was shelved.
5D5D6248-ED17-43E1-A601-F84866B8FF67.png

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Ready for Halloween!
We have Kim Possible and Flame Princess making bacon pancakes (I assume this was filmed long before quarantine).

Who wants to bet when Oaxis launches, it'll just be the Noog Network with family-friendly public domain content added in?
CNC
How come every time I try to associate with a social media account on my profile, I'm getting an error message?

To everyone reading this: You're one in a million. In other words, you're special.