Ren And Stimpy Reboot For Comedy Central

Dr.Pepper

I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand I’m a fan of the original Nick series. On the other hand, I usually don’t like adult cartoons. If this isn’t too vulgar I will check it out.

hobbyfan

When I first saw this article, I couldn't believe my eyes. It looks like Comedy Central is beginning to focus on nostalgia since they announced the Beavis and Butthead revival. I would say that this version would cater more to an adult audience since the show won't be airing on Nickelodeon.

John K. tried an adult-centric version back in '03 for Spike (Now Paramount Network)....and it BOMBED! 17 years later, they're trying again. Santayana, anyone?

Reactions: RDG

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Bob Camp says this is the first he's heard of it.

There's a petition to bring Bob on board.

I don't think anything will come of it, but it's still in pre-production. There's probably still time to get him hired.

Pooky

Man artists and animators who work in the industry are going to Twitter on this being pretty ticked off. And it's to the point where they are sharing pilots from Nick and CN that were never picked up and saying these could've been picked up instead of a Ren and Stimpy reboot.

Quite right too; aside from this in the last month or two Comedy Central has announced a Daria spin-off, and revivals of Bevis and Butthead (which, like Ren & Stimpy, has already had a failed reboot) and Clone High (not a success the first time around). Surely at least one of these slots could have gone to an original show?

Reactions: RDG
Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Will every 90s cartoon get rebooted during 2020s and onwards too? Because it looks to me we are in reboot craze.

At least the one that shall not be named isn't involved.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
John K. tried an adult-centric version back in '03 for Spike (Now Paramount Network)....and it BOMBED! 17 years later, they're trying again. Santayana, anyone?

Yeah that's the thing about Hollywood: they tend to remember usually when the ONE thing was successful and not the other times it got screwed up figuring "eh we can just keep rebooting it until eventually we get it right". I mean why do you think there are SIX Terminator movies despite the Franchise peaking at 2 and any attempt to return to it after the fact failing spectacularly? Thus I guarantee you that the execs who green lit this decision are either ignoring how much Adult Party Cartoon bombed or figuring "eh we can make it work now" with this renewal. There was also apparently a lot of behind the scenes drama of Adult Party Cartoon and it's hard to decipher whether or not it was a series John K was forced to put in more adult disgusting shock jokes in or one he did so purposely but either way I have a feeling the team behind this remake was asked to try to capture the feel of the original more then ASPC whether or not they can succeed in that.

Like I said when they announced the Beavis and Butthead revival, between those shows and also that Jodie Daria spinoff it's clear Comedy Central wants all it's cartoons to now cash in on the successes of previous shows having finally realized they got lucky once with South Park and aren't going to replicate that since yeah their only other big "success" is the revival of Futurama for a few seasons. Thus yeah we're getting this and who knows what else (I have a feeling they may try to snag away Clone High from MTV. I mean again can an MTV NOW really actually be able to play that kind of show at all?) cashing in on what came before which... I guess can work. I admit though I would have more faith in Joei and new Beavis and Butthead then yeah Ren and Stimpy. Since hoenstly even more then B&B, R&S is a kind of dated sort of insanity that really worked best in the 90's. That relied on it's out there gross out humor and absurd trippy pacing that I don't think you would ever see in a cartoon now, either for adults or cartoons. If someone can make that concept work again all the power to them but I remain really skeptical especially on this one. I guess if Billy West is back that's at least a good sign considering he didn't do Adult Party Cartoon due to not liking the material at all so maybe he was at least promised it being more in spirit with the R&S of old which don't know how they'll capture but hope it's something they can capture.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Man artists and animators who work in the industry are going to Twitter on this being pretty ticked off. And it's to the point where they are sharing pilots from Nick and CN that were never picked up and saying these could've been picked up instead of a Ren and Stimpy reboot.

I can't really blame them. The more I think about it, the more I think that reviving Ren and Stimpy now comes off a bit tasteless. I'm relieved that John K. isn't going to be involved, but considering that many women spoke out against him just two years ago, reviving his most well known series, even without including him, doesn't really sit well with me. More time wouldn't change what he said and did, but it really wasn't that long ago since women spoke out about how he groomed them as children. Even without John K.'s direct involvement, it just gives off mix signals. It sadly wouldn't surprise me if those women who spoke out against John K. got even more harassment as a result of this announcement.

Plus, a lot of animators put in a lot of time and effort into their own pilots, so Comedy Central relying on nostalgia to give the go for this project would be upsetting for them. Even before the John K allegations came out, I don't think that there was much, if any, demand for new Ren and Stimpy, especially compared to a lot of other Nicktoons from the 90's and early 2000's.

the artists and animators in the industry should go on strike for this. That is not fair to see a show rebooted again that was created by a pedo/egotstical abusive madman and having aspiring/promising pilots getting screwed over for this. But was this more on Comedy Central's part then Nickelodeon's?

Honestly if Middlemost Post never got announced i think this would've been the breaking point for me to flat out just give up on this network and the rest of western animated shows in general. I just hope that show will succeed

to quote AVGN on this "what were they thinking??!"

too bad i can't quote another vulgar quote from him on this site

Last edited:

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
"Hey, I've got a neat idea! Let's RE-reboot a controversial 90s cartoon created by an abusive control freak who preyed on underage girls! That Buzzfeed article was, what, two years ago? That's long enough, isn't it? ... We can even remake it for adults again, because it went over SO WELL the last time we tried!"

...why?

Last edited:

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
I wouldn't be surprised if this only lasts one season. Literally no one asked for Ren & Stimpy to be revived. Seriously, this the worst idea for a reboot since Johnny Test's reboot was announced for Netflix.

TargetmasterJoe

I can't really blame them. The more I think about it, the more I think that reviving Ren and Stimpy now comes off a bit tasteless. I'm relieved that John K. isn't going to be involved, but considering that many women spoke out against him just two years ago, reviving his most well known series, even without including him, doesn't really sit well with me. More time wouldn't change what he said and did, but it really wasn't that long ago since women spoke out about how he groomed them as children. Even without John K.'s direct involvement, it just gives off mix signals. It sadly wouldn't surprise me if those women who spoke out against John K. got even more harassment as a result of this announcement.

Plus, a lot of animators put in a lot of time and effort into their own pilots, so Comedy Central relying on nostalgia to give the go for this project would be upsetting for them. Even before the John K allegations came out, I don't think that there was much, if any, demand for new Ren and Stimpy, especially compared to a lot of other Nicktoons from the 90's and early 2000's.

Man, when I first read that the reboot is happening, I figured "okay, not the end of the world. John's not involved, so silver linings!"

But then an animator (who will be anonymous for the sake of protection) literally tweeted to me that there were no silver linings and now I've slammed into "we live in a society and we're all doomed" mode.

Because damn it all, they're right. I would've been more surprised and ecstatic to read that Harpy Gee or Planet Panic were becoming full-fledged shows, but no! The universe thought we needed to have a reboot of a show whose legacy has since been defiled by a freaking pedophile.

It's a mentally unhealthy thought, but you guys remember how the internet picked on Paramount for having that grotesque live-action Sonic so bad, Paramount had to delay it for a few months to implement a vastly superior design? What if that happened again, but with CC canning this R&S reboot no one asked for and might not even have Bob Camp's involvement?

Zorak Masaki

The best bet for this reboot is to make it less like the old show and instead do a completely out-there absurdist cartoon (think Uncle Grandpa).

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Because damn it all, they're right. I would've been more surprised and ecstatic to read that Harpy Gee or Planet Panic were becoming full-fledged shows, but no! The universe thought we needed to have a reboot of a show whose legacy has since been defiled by a freaking pedophile.
I read the Harpy Gee comic every week. I always thought it would make a good animated cartoon. After seeing the pilot, I knew that I wasn't wrong.

Same with Camp Weedonwantcha.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Power Rangers Reboot! An entirely new universe of shows and movies!
This year is cursed. Every single time there is a spark of hope or excitement, it's extinguished.
I don't even know if it's worth posting weekly schedules for Nicktoons, NickJr, and TeenNick? Barely there were any changes, except for a little and then I would post..
Hi everyone! I just joined, i've been reading these forums since I was 13. So happy to finally have an account!