Remember Syndicated Cartoons?

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Ratings
262 5
It has been so long since the era of syndicated cartoons. They disappeared after the turn of the century as far as I'm aware (except for adult cartoons). Remember waking up at 6 AM to watch Sonic Underground? I had to sit through The Wacky World of Tex Avery because it was the only cartoon that came right after syndicated Pokemon. For Sailor Moon, I would have to have been sick and missed Sunday church to watch it because of its crappy timeslot (Zorro came after it). Not the best of times, but before cable, syndicated cartoons were the best bet outside of Saturday mornings and weekday afternoons. I knew of Sailor Moon only because of syndication rather than Toonami back in the 90s because only rich kids had cable. I think the FCC's educational mandate killed syndicated cartoons and we'll never see cartoons/anime picked up by local stations ever again. Anyone have memories of this era?

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Ratings
5,292 36
Austin, Texas
I can't say I remember much of Syndicated programming, most of it was mostly over with after the year of my birth, however out of a more common program I remember hearing at a syndicated station was Pokemon, and Tom and Jerry Kids.

May 28, 2016
Ratings
554 8
I am real lucky I managed to watch as much of cartoons in syndication as I could when I was a boy. My day was usually either PBS or one of the Big 3 kids cable networks (and there were many times my family would get cable that I'd watch wwhatever was on them all day). But I remember watching some of the DiC cartoons on weekends, the weekday Kids WB block (which of course had Pokémon) and One Too on UPN.

ToonJay723

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Ratings
1,555 12
New York
Never seen cartoon airing on syndication either because I was born in '96. I believe syndicated cartoons ende because FOX, The WB, and UPN took all of the local station and syndicated programs had no place to go. I remember seeing a promo for Hercules: The Series on YouTube with a 2:30 PM timeslot, which is not an ideal timeslot.

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Ratings
262 5
Sounds like Generation Y is the last generation to remember cartoons coming out in syndication as I can't remember any that came out after 2000. Granted, Fox Kids started to take over the early morning cartoon slots starting around that time, with Beast Wars and Magic School Bus running very early in the morning central time. That was how I got my early morning cartoon fix after 2000.

It seems so hard to find the syndication commercials for many of these programs and some I don't even remember the title (what was the 90s cartoon about a family of lions and it was super preachy. Being a half awake 5 year old makes it hard to remember. I remember that it came on after Robocop at 5:00 AM. Dang, 90s kids were early birds.)

Nov 10, 2005
Ratings
25 1
MHFWMIUSA,peopOWL!
Sounds like Generation Y is the last generation to remember cartoons coming out in syndication as I can't remember any that came out after 2000. Granted, Fox Kids started to take over the early morning cartoon slots starting around that time, with Beast Wars and Magic School Bus running very early in the morning central time. That was how I got my early morning cartoon fix after 2000.

It seems so hard to find the syndication commercials for many of these programs and some I don't even remember the title (what was the 90s cartoon about a family of lions and it was super preachy. Being a half awake 5 year old makes it hard to remember. I remember that it came on after Robocop at 5:00 AM. Dang, 90s kids were early birds.)
The Lion-Centric Cartoon was called The Lionhearts and was "based around the lives of Leo the MGM Lion/his family". I hated the series because the characters' designs suct
so much it failed to be funny. (BTW, I'm 50 yo; my Mother (1929/2004) tried/failed to get me to stop viewing Animation. She eventually acquiesced. But, also, I've not only been viewing Cartoons but creating them; not animated works, mind you, but comics; ever since the first half of 1977.)

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Ratings
262 5
The Lion-Centric Cartoon was called The Lionhearts and was "based around the lives of Leo the MGM Lion/his family". I hated the series because the characters' designs suct
so much it failed to be funny. (BTW, I'm 50 yo; my Mother (1929/2004) tried/failed to get me to stop viewing Animation. She eventually acquiesced. But, also, I've not only been viewing Cartoons but creating them; not animated works, mind you, but comics; ever since the first half of 1977.)
Thanks a bunch. Now I know that my memories are of a real show and I didn't make it up. It's so hard to find information about obscure animation from the syndication era.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,735 29
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
I barely watched anything that wasn’t on cable when I was a kid until I moved to South Africa. For two years we didn’t have satellite TV, so I watched whatever was on the local channels. Some were American (like AoSTH), but there were a lot of shows from Canada, Europe, and even Japan. Several of the shows ended up getting dubbed in Afrikaans, and I needed to tune to a radio station to hear the dialogue in English. That was kind of neat. I wonder if they did that in other countries.
Sometime while there, SABC1 ended up with a weekly programming block called Disney’s Cartoon Cafe, that aired a lot of the Disney Afternoon and One Saturday Morning shows. I remember watching Recess for the first time and was shocked to see how different it looked from the other Disney shows.

It was because of the various shows that we got there, that when I visited the States, I started watching Kids WB and Fox Kids for the first time.

For a brief period we got a slew of cartoons in syndication, kid programming blocks, and cable. That massive output we got in the 90s seemed to have died out, but thanks to Netflix and other streaming platforms, that level is slowly returning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Ratings
3,576 67 1
Belgium
Several of the shows ended up getting dubbed in Afrikaans, and I needed to tune to a radio station to hear the dialogue in English. That was kind of neat.
Could you please tell me which cartoons were dubbed in Afrikaans? (and their Afrikaans titles, if you remember them) I only know of Moomins, Heidi, Wonder Twins, Dogtarian, Little Flying Bears, David the Gnome, Pinnochio, Wicky the Viking and Nils Holgersson.

Dogtarian got translated to "Brakenjan" :sweat: (braken means "to vomit", Jan is a common name)
I wonder if they did that in other countries.
Not in Europe.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,458 4
177A Bleecker Street
Growing up in New York, there was a bombardment of syndicated cartoons to watch on WPIX 11 and WWOR 9. Due to religious stuff, I didn't grow up watching Saturday morning blocks if I didn't set the VCR to record them and cable was an on/off thing in my household. UPN Kids was the only network block that catered to my Sundays and Fox Kids and Kids WB had the afterschool blocks locked down but there were still a lot of options.

Just thinking of what was on during the early 90s to early 2000s, I'd get to see the Marvel Action Hour/Universe (Iron Man, Biker Mice, Fantastic Four), Disney's Afternoon (Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, Aladdin) and One Too (Recess, Pepper Ann, Tarzan) and BKN (Mummies Alive, Princess Gwenevere, Street Sharks) shows. Some syndicated personal favorites that didn't seem to be parts of blocks at the time were Beast Wars, Mighty Max, Sailor Moon, Conan the Adventurer, Creepy Crawlers, EXO Force, Adventures of Sonic, Pokemon and Extreme Ghostbusters. It would be tough missing a new episode of X-Men or Men in Black on Saturdays but I never felt starved for cartoons. The last syndicated cartoon I remember watching was probably this Trollz cartoon that was on air in 2005.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Ratings
262 5
I know that in rural areas like mine, we still got lots of syndicated cartoons, but they were usually from 5-6, with Pokemon and Tex Avery being on shortly before school if not during school. The timeslots were pretty bad in my area, but seeing Sailor Moon at all was cool.
The last syndicated cartoon I remember watching was probably this Trollz cartoon that was on air in 2005.
I find it really hard to remember any 2000s syndicated cartoons. All the cartoons on network TV I remember were part of the networks.

Slightly off topic, I find it interesting that CBS cartoons that weren't reruns also disappeared in the 2000s, with the extra preachy season of Tales from the Cryptkeeper being the last cartoon I remember aside from the Nick Jr./Nick and CBS block (which included all B-list shows because the A listers couldn't satisfy the E/I requirements. They called it quits long before ABC, Fox, and WB/CW.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,735 29
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
Could you please tell me which cartoons were dubbed in Afrikaans?
The only ones I can remember off the top of my head were AoSTH, She-Ra, and this Zorro anime:
Ah jeez, what a blast from the past. The whole show can be watched legally on YouTube, I should revisit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Hey Lady Lucario! Long time no see! How is life treating ya?
I like that Delta Rune doesn't even try to conceal it's creepy subtext. Just tosses it right at you from the start.
am i the only one who notices the change, while nobody else does?
RIP Stan Lee, the legendary Marvel creator.
Happy Veterans Day to all the brave men and women in service. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication.