Rejected Marvel Designs and Show Pitches

TFormersMarvel

Back in 2012-13, for Marvel's 75th anniversary in 2014, Powerhouse Animation (Castlevania, Seis Manos) approached Marvel with an anthology series, known as Marvel Era. In a 10-part thread by Powerhouse's CEO, he details how each short would have covered various eras of Marvel history, with sample animation to show. Some stories covered Captain America, the X-Men,The Punisher, Deadpool, and Heroes for Hire.

However, as Brad Graber rationalized, this was at a time when the studio wasn't as notable. The project never really got off the ground at Marvel.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Back in 2012-13, for Marvel's 75th anniversary in 2014, Powerhouse Animation (Castlevania, Seis Manos) approached Marvel with an anthology series, known as Marvel Era. In a 10-part thread by Powerhouse's CEO, he details how each short would have covered various eras of Marvel history, with sample animation to show. Some stories covered Captain America, the X-Men,The Punisher, Deadpool, and Heroes for Hire.

However, as Brad Graber rationalized, this was at a time when the studio wasn't as notable. The project never really got off the ground at Marvel.
Oh wow, this looks amazing! Feels like it could've been a Marvel equivalent to DC Showcase :D.

bigdaddy313

Are you serious, that would have being deadly. Thank God Marvel Entertainment is done.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member

After WB did the anniversary shorts for Superman and Batman and then Marvel was celebrating their 75th anniversary, I really hope they would have done something like this so it's interesting to see that it was actually on the table. A real shame that they let stuff like that pass by.

I was personally rooting for Titmouse to do it at the time after they did that really awesome opening cinematic for the Marvel Heroes game, that highlighted the major origin stories of the Marvel Universe.

As I look at this now, I had seen the little snippet of the X-Men before but didn't know where it came from.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
According to this small Twitter thread, Spectacular Spider-Man Peter made a cameo in the second Spider-Verse event in Ultimate Spider-Man, and co-showrunner Chris "Doc" Wyatt chimes in to say they wanted to dedicate an entire segment to him, but due to rights issues, only did the cameo.
How are we only just noticing this o_O?
A better Spectacular tribute would've simply been letting Josh voice a Spider (any version e.g. Scarlet Spider).
To be honest I think a big missed opportunity for the animated Spider-Verse was not bringing back all the cartoon versions of Spider-Man's or at least their VA's. The closest we got was Christopher Daniel Barnes but he was already in the show as Electro.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Back in 2012-13, for Marvel's 75th anniversary in 2014, Powerhouse Animation (Castlevania, Seis Manos) approached Marvel with an anthology series, known as Marvel Era. In a 10-part thread by Powerhouse's CEO, he details how each short would have covered various eras of Marvel history, with sample animation to show. Some stories covered Captain America, the X-Men, The Punisher, Deadpool, and Heroes for Hire.

Marvel made a mistake for not going forward with this.

Frontier

Staff member
Big mistake imho. The studio is a lackluster in terms of Marvel content. They only push MCU tethered content (except the few things not like MODOK and Hit Monkey are just . . . meh.)

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
Hit-Monkey was surprisingly good and MODOK left off on a pretty major cliffhanger...I at least appreciated that they were trying something different.

Pattern_Maker

According to this small Twitter thread, Spectacular Spider-Man Peter made a cameo in the second Spider-Verse event in Ultimate Spider-Man, and co-showrunner Chris "Doc" Wyatt chimes in to say they wanted to dedicate an entire segment to him, but due to rights issues, only did the cameo.
Was he on the web of life or the scene where the spiders were going back to their worlds?

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Was he on the web of life or the scene where the spiders were going back to their worlds?
The original poster's account is gone (I should've saved the image), but the screenshot was from one of the Spider-Men in the web of life. To be honest, it didn't look distinctly like the Spectacular version of Spider-Man, so I was surprised Wyatt actually confirmed it.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
The original poster's account is gone (I should've saved the image), but the screenshot was from one of the Spider-Men in the web of life. To be honest, it didn't look distinctly like the Spectacular version of Spider-Man, so I was surprised Wyatt actually confirmed it.
I think this might be the suspect.

Ultimate.Spider-Man.vs.The.Sinister.6.S04E19.Return.to.the.Spider-Verse.Part.4.720p.WEB-DL.DD5...jpg

Ultimate.Spider-Man.vs.The.Sinister.6.S04E19.Return.to.the.Spider-Verse.Part.4.720p.WEB-DL.DD5...jpg

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)

Featured Posts