Rejected Marvel Designs and Show Pitches

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
To be honest, I think Daredevil is probably seen as too "mature" a character to appear in the cartoons.
They had Moon Knight show up in a Christmas episode in the last season of Ultimate Spider-Man and he's often the same edgy ilk (maybe moreso). I think it's a shame he hasn't had more animated appearances, he's a character that could viably hold an animated show for older audiences.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Moon Knight was also on Avengers Assemble, I seem to recall he was slightly more serious there. In a way it almost reminds me how Ghost Rider (a somewhat similar, darker character) popped up in a couple of cartoons in the 90s that didn't really lead to much else, though he did return kind of recently on Hulk & the Agents of SMASH after like a 20 years absence from animation.

Co-incidentally, and not to get too much off-topic here since this isn't animated, but both Moon Knight and Ghost Rider were considered for live-action series last year (though only the former seems to still be in plans at the moment).

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
To be honest, I think Daredevil is probably seen as too "mature" a character to appear in the cartoons.
I hate that Marvel plays with the characters like that. With the DC cartoons, there is almost nothing stopping them from featuring characters in both mature and kid-friendly programs. We've seen it from Batman to Zatanna to Constantine to Swamp Thing to Jonah Hex to Deathstroke and Harley. It all depends on how you write the characters and what you plan on doing with them in that show or movie. There are few characters in my opinion that can only be handled on one side or the other.

We've already seen Daredevil in Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, the 94 Spider-Man and Fantastic Four shows. My first introduction to the character was the Bill bixby trial of the Incredible Hulk TV movie and that was tv-pg by today's standards. It'ss pretty goofy to me to see creative people limiting their own creativity with stuff like this.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
I hate that Marvel plays with the characters like that. With the DC cartoons, there is almost nothing stopping them from featuring characters in both mature and kid-friendly programs. We've seen it from Batman to Zatanna to Constantine to Swamp Thing to Jonah Hex to Deathstroke and Harley. It all depends on how you write the characters and what you plan on doing with them in that show or movie. There are few characters in my opinion that can only be handled on one side or the other.

We've already seen Daredevil in Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, the 94 Spider-Man and Fantastic Four shows. My first introduction to the character was the Bill bixby trial of the Incredible Hulk TV movie and that was tv-pg by today's standards. It'ss pretty goofy to me to see creative people limiting their own creativity with stuff like this.

I agree 100% with all this. These characters are flexible enough to survive with adaptations that skew older. I envy how WB is able to have more freedom with their animated DC endeavors, it's crazy how they have a violent adult oriented Harley Quinn cartoon with a pretty respectful played straight Batman existing in the same show. This stuff is possible to do and opens up more audiences to these characters.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I legitimately fan out whenever I've seen Frank in animation for the last decade. From the van rant in Super Hero Squad, to the logo cameo in EMH, the great surprise in Assemble and the bigger roles in the anime movies. It definitely shows how these characters can be used in unlimited ways.

Maybe the problem with Daredevil is that he dresses as the literal devil.

If this guy can pull off his look on Disney TV, I would hope that DD could.

brodie999

I would've been really interested to see what their take on Sentry would've been like.
Honestly, I think it would've stayed consistent in his character with the Sentry being a spilt personality and his backstory as a forgotten super-hero would've been intact.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
That's pretty cool. I don't think I ever heard about any prior attempts at bringing in Sentry to animation before. I'll also admit he's not really a character I think of too often about showing up in a cartoon, but it's cool the Avengers: EMH crew had plans for him.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Still the best take on the Secret Invasion storyline, for my money ;).
Here, here. Infiltration may be one of my favorite episodes of any animated series. Prisoner of War, too. they took this very interesting premise and made the most of it unlike what was done with most of comic Secret Invasion.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts