Rejected Marvel Designs and Show Pitches

Latest News & Videos

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,843 9
Framingham, MA
Yeah, Semper is giving himself too much credit. Once the ink dries on the Fox deal, the only character a potential Marvel cartoon wouldn't be able to use is Namor. And Spider-Man TAS didn't use Namor anyways.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
8,195 6
A Valid Location
Something to keep in mind is that interview with Semper was posted well over a decade ago.

On a similar note, and trying to get this topic back on track, while I couldn't find a more official source, here are a few of the things proposed for the never produced Season 6 of Spider-Man: TAS, from the Spider-Man animated wikia. Note that some might have been debunked over the years, but like I said I couldn't find something more official at the moment.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,717 47
Sherman Oaks CA
Something to keep in mind is that interview with Semper was posted well over a decade ago.

On a similar note, and trying to get this topic back on track, while I couldn't find a more official source, here are a few of the things proposed for the never produced Season 6 of Spider-Man: TAS, from the Spider-Man animated wikia. Note that some might have been debunked over the years, but like I said I couldn't find something more official at the moment.
Well, the Puma one has pretty much been debunked, at least :sweat:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
8,195 6
A Valid Location

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,717 47
Sherman Oaks CA
Continuing with older Spidey cartoons that were cut off before their story-lines were finished... here are some of Larry Brody's ideas for Season 2 of Spider-Man Unlimited.
Yeah, those descriptions sound about how one would expect a continuation of Spider-Man Unlimited to sound, although I would be kind of morbidly curious to see Counter-Earth MJ and Black Cat :p.
I'm not sure if any details about what a possible Season 2 of the 2003 Spider-Man cartoon would have offered were ever published online from an official source.
Aside from Peter becoming Spider-Man again, of course ;).

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Ratings
738 2
Canada
I recall that after Spider-Man TAS was cancelled, there was some consideration to adapt Spider-Man 2099 into a series on Fox. Anyway, here is Will Meugniot's original pitch for Spider-Man Unlimited, which I think does sound a bit more interesting than what we got. He also reveals that they thought of doing a show that covered the first few issues of Amazing Spider-Man, basically telling Spidey's story from the beginning. I personally would preferred if they just gave us more Spider-Man: TAS, but that's just me.

I've heard about the season six pitch for STAS, the one where Carnage becomes Jack the Ripper. Personally, I can't imagine they would have done it. That's way too dark for a Saturday morning cartoon, especially one that was as famously censored as that one was. It would have been interesting, but I've always taken that rumour with a big grain of salt.

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Feb 22, 2009
Ratings
Phoenix, AZ
Continuing with older Spidey cartoons that were cut off before their story-lines were finished... here are some of Larry Brody's ideas for Season 2 of Spider-Man Unlimited.

I'm not sure if any details about what a possible Season 2 of the 2003 Spider-Man cartoon would have offered were ever published online from an official source.
King Carnage, haha. I never understood why they ended their first season with part 1 of a 2 part story. Same with Silver Surfer. But it's nice to know where they were going with that show at least. The original Unlimited pitch was the close adaptation of most of the original Lee/Ditko comics. It was pitched that way and it looks like Paul Smith was even working on it but then we know they weren't able to do classic Spidey because the movie was coming and they had to work around it.

Animated Spider-Man, notes #3

SpidAnimation3%2520.jpg
SpidAnimation2%2520.jpg
SpidAnimation1%2520.jpg

The idea then was for Spidey to go to Counter Earth but the main conflict was this was a world where Peter never got rid of the black suit and Uncle Ben was still alive and it became a fight against a dark mirror of himself (like the finale to the 90s show) but that idea was rejected because multiple Peter's was a hot button for Marvel in the late 90s.

Upon revisiting the MTV Spidey show I gained more appreciation for it and enjoyed it more than I remembered, the finale really did some interesting things and left a lot of good story possibilities for when Peter would pick up the mask again. I think there's an old interview with Brandon Vietti on here where he mentions if they got a 2nd season he would've brought in Mysterio, Vulture, more Kraven, and bring back Shikata.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
8,195 6
A Valid Location
I found the interview with Vietti.
MAA: Any Spider-Man characters you'd have liked to work with but never got the chance to? Also, what did you think of the show's original characters?
Vietti: I had pitched a story for Mysterio for the second season that would never come to light. I wish we could have done more with Kraven. Also, I have to admit I really would have liked to see a Vulture story. As for our treatment of the core characters, I thought we had a unique take on them yet they still felt true to the comics.
Also from Marvel Animation Age, here's some of Jeff Matsuda's early artwork for the 2003 Spidey cartoon.

Josh_Fine

Writer/Producer
Oct 13, 2010
Ratings
Los Angeles, CA
Wow, those Matsuda designs are awesome--hadn't seen those before. Great idea for a thread, Rubble! I thought I was pretty well-versed in Marvel animation history, but you guys have dug up some stuff I was unaware of.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
8,195 6
A Valid Location
Like I mentioned before, it might be better to keep Kickstarter projects, petitions and stuff asking for donations out of this thread.

To change the topic a little, again from Larry Brody, here are some of his ideas for the 2nd Season of Silver Surfer: The Animated Series. Most of these are pretty much complete scripts for the first few episodes, so be warned it might take you a while to read through all of this stuff.
- SOUL HUNTER: PART ONE
- SOUL HUNTER: PART TWO
- REBIRTH
- THE HUNGER
- DOWN TO EARTH: PART ONE
- DOWN TO EARTH: PART TWO
- DOWN TO EARTH: PART THREE

The link for "The End of Eternity, Part 2" doesn't seem to work. You can read about it here, though I was trying to link to Brody's site.

Just trying to add more than just Spider-Man cartoons to this topic. Not that there's anything wrong with discussing plans for Spidey cartoons that never made it to air. I find it kind of fascinating how many such projects were considered at times but were never produced, despite Spidey having so many animated series.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Ratings
738 2
Canada
Were there ever any plans or pitches to continue the two Marvel Action Hour shows? Considering the enormous improvement that both Iron Man and Fantastic Four saw in their second season, it's a shame that they were both unceremoniously dumped just after they had gotten good.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,514 4
177A Bleecker Street
Were there ever any plans or pitches to continue the two Marvel Action Hour shows? Considering the enormous improvement that both Iron Man and Fantastic Four saw in their second season, it's a shame that they were both unceremoniously dumped just after they had gotten good.
Marvel Animation Age had some stuff about this before.

Marvel Animation Age - Fantastic Four: The Animated Series - Cameos
We did not have any idea if there would be a 3rd Season or not. but after seeing how the new season was not being promoted as different and kinda felt like it was just being "dumped" out there, the handwriting seemed to be on the wall. We quickly moved on to developing "The Incredible Hulk" series.

For a 3rd Season, I had wanted to go into the whole Sue Storm pregnancy story arc. That also would have given us a chance to do our take on the Submariner as he played into the whole thing ala FF issues leading up to and around FF #100. Bringing Medusa and She-Hulk into the mix as part of the FF was also rolling around in my head.
Marvel Animation Age Presents: Iron Man
While I did not have as strong a potential series arc in mind as I did for a possible 3rd Season of Fantastic Four, I had several concepts rolling around in my head. They hinged on a deeper exploration of Tony Stark's inner demons. While we obviously could not deal with Stark's alcoholism from the comics, I was toying with other ways to achieve the same dramatics. That, coupled with his guilt over being a weapons manufacturer and his long established inability to have a meaningful, lasting relationship with any woman, were intriguing to me.

Having Julia do a real "put up or shut up" ultimatum to Tony in the first episode and Tony unable to pony up, would be an ideal way to set him into his downward spiral. From there on out, the season would basically be "The Fall and Rise of Tony Stark".

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,717 47
Sherman Oaks CA

brodie999

Jul 1, 2016
Ratings
199 1
This made me realize that we've yet to see the FF kids in a cartoon yet.

I'm curious if that proposed Iron Man arc might have led to an adaption of the storyline where Tony got ousted from his company by Obadiah Stane and Rhodey took over as Iron Man...
Agreed. If they did an third season of the 90s Iron Man show, they would've done the Doomquest storyline with a team-up with the Fantastic Four. I wonder what they could've done for an third season of the 90s Hulk show. You got any links for the episode scripts of Avengers: United They Stand Season 2?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
8,195 6
A Valid Location
That's pretty cool. I don't remember ever reading anything about a possible 3rd Season of Iron Man before.

For Fantastic Four, I recall the staff wanting to get a chance to use Namor. It's weird to think to this day, he still hasn't really had any great animated appearances. His best one was probably on Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes, but I can only imagine how well an appearance in the improved era of the 90s show would have went.

It's also interesting to think they would have went with Sue's pregnancy arc. I'm not sure how many cartoons have tried that, at the time. I presume it would have been sort of like how the "Inhumans Saga" played a large role throughout the 2nd Season.

This made me realize that we've yet to see the FF kids in a cartoon yet.
I think the closest we had to this was that cameo of Power Pack on Super Hero Squad Show.

Slightly off-topic, since this is live-action, but anyone else remember that Power Pack pilot from 1991? Granted it's not animated and I don't think it ever featured the F4 kids.

I wonder what they could've done for an third season of the 90s Hulk show. You got any links for the episode scripts of Avengers: United They Stand Season 2?
I don't recall reading about any plans for a possible 3rd Season of Incredible Hulk. Can't really find anything online, either.

For Avengers: United They Stand, I found these ideas on the Marvel Animated Wiki. Again, some of these might be just rumors. I don't think any scripts made their way online, either.

The only source they list is an archived article from 1999 with some quotes from Rick Ungar. It pretty much confirms there were plans for another story with Captain America, and Thor would have guest-starred.
Ungar also reported that shows Arad talked about in the past, such as the two-parter involving Captain America and a guest shot by Thor, are still coming. Also in the works is a new animated series starring a certain team of mutant superheros.
Also pretty interesting, the same article I linked to above mentions they were working on another "X-Men" animated series. I'm not sure if this was pre-production of X-Men: Evolution or something else entirely that never made it on the air.
“We’re hard at work on a new X-Men series,” says Ungar. “It will be animated, only this time we’re looking at using a whole different form of animation. I won’t tell you if it will involve the current X-Men, Gen X or even what kind of animation we’ll be using. Just accept that as kind of a teaser. It’s all getting worked out as we speak.”

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,717 47
Sherman Oaks CA
Slightly off-topic, since this is live-action, but anyone else remember that Power Pack pilot from 1991? Granted it's not animated and I don't think it ever featured the F4 kids.
I'm kind of surprised no one's pitched a Power Pack cartoon to be honest. The all-ages modern comic a few years back seemed tailor-made for animation :).
Also pretty interesting, the same article I linked to above mentions they were working on another "X-Men" animated series. I'm not sure if this was pre-production of X-Men: Evolution or something else entirely that never made it on the air.
I wonder what they mean by a "new kind of animation." Possibly CG :confused:?

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,514 4
177A Bleecker Street
I'm kind of surprised no one's pitched a Power Pack cartoon to be honest. The all-ages modern comic a few years back seemed tailor-made for animation :).
Watching the Marvel Rising shorts left me thinking about how cool it would be to see something that was done by Gurihiru, like Power Pack, animated by The Answer Studio as well. If Moon Girl makes it to series, maybe it will be a gateway for more characters like that. Who knows if we'll ever see the FF kids in animation? The Franklin Richards comics would have been fun to see adapted.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
8,195 6
A Valid Location
Just for fun - here's some stuff about the other 2 Fantastic Four and Iron Man cartoons, World's Greatest Heroes and Armored Adventures. Some ideas for possible 2nd and 3rd Seasons, respectively.

For Fantastic Four: WGH, from Marvel Animation Age, here's an interview with Christopher Yost. I think this is from 2008.
MAA: Looking back now, is there anything you would've liked to have included in the show but never got a chance to? What would you have done with the show in season two if given the opportunity?
Yost: We accomplished quite a bit, if you break it down. Doom, Mole Man, Ronan, Kree, Supreme Intelligence, Sentries, Negative Zone, Annihilus, Frightful Four, Namor, Puppet Master, Hulk, Ant-Man, Frankie Raye, Skrulls, Super-Skrull, Atlantis, Attuma, Giganto, Impossible Man, Grandmaster, Diablo, the Baxter Building getting shot into space, She-Hulk, Lava Men, Squirrel Girl (!), Super-Adaptoid, Iron Man and Terminus.
Not bad, really. If there's ever another season, I'd like to see the Inhumans. Kree-Skrull War. Magic Doom. More guest stars, and hopefully a way to do the Silver Surfer and Galactus.
Also kind of interesting, they did briefly consider bringing in Franklin for the show, but then the other characters needed to be older and they decided stick with young Reed and Sue.
MAA: There was very little romance between Reed and Sue in the show. Was this something you would've liked to have done but weren't able to, or did it never really concern you?
Yost: It never really concerned me. The only reason we considered it was to get Franklin in there, but to have him be any use he'd have to be older, and then Reed and Sue and Johnny become that much older. The thought was that young Reed and Sue were more fun to watch than Parental Reed and Sue.
And we still got some of that tension with Namor, if you look hard enough

And for Iron Man: Armored Adventures, here's a Newsarama interview with Megan Thomas Bradner and Brandon Auman. This one is from 2013.
Nrama: To whatever extent you're able to talk about it, were there many plans being discussed had the show got a third season? Any stories you were looking to explore, or new characters or concepts to introduce?
Bradner: At the current moment there are no plans, but you never know. I'm really proud of Rescue showing up at the end of the season and I wish we'd had a chance to tell more stories with her.
Auman: It would have been great, but I never seriously entertained the idea that we were getting a third season. But by some strange miracle if it would have, happened, I had plenty of ideas fleshed out that I would've liked to explore. Like Tony, Rhodey and Pepper attempting to be superheroes with the entire world knowing their identities. It would have been cool to see them in college, attempting to live normal lives. I would have loved to bring in Wolverine, Captain America and Thor... maybe even the Fantastic Four.
On the villain side, I probably would have introduced The Raiders, The Mauler, and a few other classic Iron Man supervillains. And maybe some heavy hitting Marvel villains like the Skrulls and Galactus!