Rejected DC Comics Designs and Show Pitches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier

Staff member
A Teen Titans/DCAU corssover seems like that thing that a lot of fans were clamoring or theorizing for a while now. It's at least nice to know it was in the cards at some point :).

b.t.

Yes, previously we knew a crossover was talked about. For example, the late Mr. McDuffie, on his forum, then hosted by Delphi, on November 6, 2005 said they talked about it couple years prior but couldn't figure it out. And yeah that Teen Titans and Static Shock crossover. The former wasn't ready yet to premiere or something and they needed to decide on a story so that evolved into the Justice League 2 parter.

But great to get details on the format and the story. That would have been neat to see a version of Mad Mod and Teen Titans finally appear. But I guess that would have been the Tim Drake Robin appearing. At least we got Speedy in "Patriot Act". And liked the idea that it wouldn't have been the 2 shows traveling to each other's universe and that we'd have seen the hinted at Teen Titans appear in a JLU episode and the version of the JL on Teen Titans. Could have been cool.
Really not quite sure what Derrick is talking about here.

Once upon a time, WB president Sander Schwartz wanted to do a two-part JL /TT crossover event. I can’t recall if Glen Murakami liked the idea or not but James Tucker and I weren’t keen about it at all and Sam Register, who was the CN Production Exec at the time, didn’t like the idea much, so it was pretty much a non-starter.

Knowing that Sam wasn’t into it, we knew it was gonna go away sooner than later so we didn’t even bother thinking about story ideas. I think we got as far as discussing how to deal with the inherent incompatibility of the styles of the two shows. We toyed (for about a minute) with the idea of having the Titans drawn in the “JL/ BT /DCAU” style in the JL half and the Justice Leaguers drawn in “TT / Murakanime” style in the other half, as if it was a two-part COMICS crossover, with John Buscema, say, drawing all the characters the “Marvel” half and Jim Aparo drawing them in the “DC” half. But no one seemed very excited about that approach either.

Maybe Derrick is talking about some other JL/TT crossover that I’m not aware of.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
A Crisis on Infinite Earths DTV animated film was considered but never materialised.

the greenman

Beware the Batman designs for Magpie and possibly Lady Shiva.
a4da02287bc1099e3c1906f1b3e18f38.jpg
ec9d0fc427e2f12bc6b0df8148b3b968.jpg

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Otaku-sempai

There were plans for an R-rated animated Watchmen DTV film back in 2017 but it never materialised.
I remember that story, but lost track of it. I guess the project was still in development and was killed without beginning production.

the greenman

We almost had a Catwoman DTV animated film that would serve as a tie-in to the 2004 film and would've had Patience teaming up with Selina along with delving deeper in the Egyptian mythology of the film.
Interesting. I personally think she deserves her own solo film again. Especially if they give us Brubaker style or something.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
On the Legion of Superheroes DC FanDome panel, James Tucker mentioned how the Legion of Superheroes pitch was originally for Cartoon Network, skewed older, but CN passed on it then Kids WB! showed interest, so Tucker had a week to retool it to suit them and young it up, but season 2 went back to more of what Tucker originally envisioned.
James Tucker 3:29-4:39 and 4:32-4:38 mark said:
It was designed as a Superman-centric project to kind of tap onto the, um, uh, Superman Returns movie. That's what it started out as then it kind of evolved into its own thing...Oh, no, they came to me. I was coming off of Justice League Unlimited, the last season of that, and, um, originally the show was supposed to be for Cartoon Network and so we did a whole different pitch for them. And then I guess on a Friday, they said "no." And then on a Monday, Kids WB! which was, uh, around said, "Yeah, sure, we'd like a Superman show." So that's how we got on there. But that meant I had to completely change the pitch in a week. To suit them. It was a little older skewing originally and then for them, y'know, we had to young it up...Then second season, we went back to more of what I originally envisioned.

Frontier

Staff member
On the Legion of Superheroes DC FanDome panel, James Tucker mentioned how the Legion of Superheroes pitch was originally for Cartoon Network, skewed older, but CN passed on it then Kids WB! showed interest, so Tucker had a week to retool it to suit them and young it up, but season 2 went back to more of what Tucker originally envisioned.
I thought what we ended up with was pretty great (and season 2 didn't feel that different) so I think things worked out for the best :).

And hey, James, LoS didn't need to be Young Justice ;).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Hmm. Or maybe Zod and Ursa were too specific to the Donner movies. On p 53 of the Modern Masters interviews, Timm did say he thought the villains in those movies were too hokey. Which of course, would be amusing considering they later got Sarah Douglas to voice Mala or years later the AU Superman of the Gods and Monsters canon is Zod's son.

Another possibility could be they had issues with getting permission to use other Kryptonians on the show, because at the time in the 90s, weren't the powers that be adamant Superman be the only Kryptonian in the comics? Maybe they squeaked by with Jax-Ur because he was obscure, DC didn't care? I mean, they pretty much used a loop hole with Kara and her people appearing on S:TAS, they were Argosians not Kryptonians per say.

the greenman

Hmm. Or maybe Zod and Ursa were too specific to the Donner movies. On p 53 of the Modern Masters interviews, Timm did say he thought the villains in those movies were too hokey. Which of course, would be amusing considering they later got Sarah Douglas to voice Mala or years later the AU Superman of the Gods and Monsters canon is Zod's son.

Another possibility could be they had issues with getting permission to use other Kryptonians on the show, because at the time in the 90s, weren't the powers that be adamant Superman be the only Kryptonian in the comics? Maybe they squeaked by with Jax-Ur because he was obscure, DC didn't care? I mean, they pretty much used a loop hole with Kara and her people appearing on S:TAS, they were Argosians not Kryptonians per say.
The Watchtower Database interviewed Dan Riba on twitch tv, one of the directors for Superman The Animated Series. He said how General Zod and Ursa were going to be in the series, even having character designs, before they were scrapped. Dan mentioned in a youtube interview how he thought there were rights issues.

If I can remember correctly, this very issue was brought up on a DVD commentary at one point. Another argument for physical media.

Frontier

Staff member

I mean, the cartoon versions of Jax-Ur and Mala were basically Zod and Ursa in all but name, so I don't think it was a case of finding the character concepts too hokey, so I can kind of believe it was another case of them having to change some things around to use the characters they wanted.

Although that design for Zod makes me think Kryptonian Ra's Al Ghul :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts