"Reign of the Supermen" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Release Date: January 15, 2019 (Digital), January 29, 2019 (4K, Blu, DVD)

A "Reign of the Supermen" animated movie was announced for 2019 at the San Diego Comic-Con.
In early 2019, look for Reign of the Supermen, the second part of the two-part adaptation. While we’ll have to wait for an official synopsis to learn all of the details, that name should be a familiar one to Superman fans and suggests we’ll be seeing the rise of the Superman alternates that took his place during the year after his death. (For those unfamiliar with the story, they were Steel, Cyborg Superman, Superboy and the Last Son of Krypton.) This part of the Death and Return of Superman was greatly simplified in Doomsday, which instead featured a single alternate Superman rather than the four we saw in the comics..
Source: DC Comics Blog

Stay tuned for further updates!
Comments?

Related Discussion:
"Death of Superman" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Last edited by a moderator:

Heeroyuy_Batman

A "Reign of the Supermen" animated movie was announced for 2019 at the San Diego Comic-Con.

Source: DC Comics Blog

Stay tuned for further updates!
Comments?

Related Discussion
:
"Death of Superman" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

I have to admit I'm more excited about this than Death of Superman. That's been adapted so many times in different ways that I'm not that interested by a more faithful adaptation. This isn't to say I have no interest at all, however. I would say I prefer Superman's method of stopping Doomsday in Superman: Doomsday to the original comic's so a part of me hopes DoS isn't faithful to the original in this regard.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm definitely really curious, if this is set to be a more faithful adaption of the comic storyline, to see if we'll get all of the different Supermen in this movie, Superboy, Steel, Cyborg-Superman, and Eradicator since this could potentially be the animated debuts for the latter two :cool:.

I'm also curious if they might try and work-in Supergirl into the story given her popularity, though she did appear in the storyline it was not in that major of a role and as a very different take on Supergirl...

Lord Sidious

Since we have Doomsday,

This would be perfect in the War/ Damian Universe having Superman, the JL, TT, JLD, and Suicide Squad already established and John Henry already showing up in Throne of Atlantis.

All those superheroes would mourn his death and would make the most sense on why have another story like this since they have already made Doomsday DTV.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
A preview image from the upcoming Reign of the Supermen animated movie is featured on the iTunes Extras page for the The Death of Superman animated feature. Click on the image below to check it out.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
A somewhat new description was announced today on the DC Comics Blog.
Based on the seminal storyline that shocked fans of the Man of Steel when it debuted 25 years ago, The Death of Superman is actually only the beginning of the story. The second part of the previously announced two-part adaptation, Reign of the Supermen, kicks things off in early 2019. Focusing on what happens after Superman’s death, the comics that inspired part two introduced characters who have gone on to play integral roles in the world of Superman, such as Steel, Cyborg Superman and Conner Kent. Look for some Reign of the Supermen teasers in the closing credits of The Death of Superman.

Frontier

Staff member
A somewhat new description was announced today on the DC Comics Blog.
Nice to have the proper Superboy confirmed for the movie ;).

I'm curious to see who will voice him, and how they'll handle Eradicator (who is not mentioned in the description) :cool:.

EDIT 7/24: FYI, the sneak peek for Reign of the Supermen is making the rounds, but, as per usual, please don't put any video or images from it in this thread.

You can discuss the material in the sneak peek, but only in spoilers.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Small casting update from the Reign of the Supermen First Look on the The Death of Superman release: Cameron Monaghan will voice Superboy.

Troy Troodon

Joker voices Superboy? This should be fun :p.

latest

Frontier

Staff member
As far as the writers:

Jim Krieg and Tim Sheridan are apparently taking over as screenwriters from Peter J. Tomasi for the film.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
For whatever reason, Warner Movies on Demand already has a trailer up on their YouTube account. Watch it while you can, if it was a mistake, they could pull it soon. EDIT: Hmm, looks like the sneak peak?

Frontier

Staff member
It seems to be a Sneak Peak, though unusually short at less than 3 minutes.
They also don't really reveal that much compared to other sneak peeks, at least that we couldn't have already assumed, but I can imagine why they would want not spoil too much about the climax...

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It seems to be a Sneak Peak, though unusually short at less than 3 minutes.
Yeah, it's an edited version of the Sneak Peak on the TDoS release. @James Harvey told me it's "basically the start and end of the 9-minute featurette with a couple bits from the middle stitched in."

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I was such a big fan of 90s era Superboy as a young kid. I always wanted to see him in animated form but it didn't happen in the 90s or the 2000s. When it finally did happen, his personality was drastically different from the version I first grew up with. It's so cool to see them finally bringing this side of the story to animated life and finally featuring my favorite version of Kon-El.

c5c4086bc83d3c1f34d899c9e6a6d31a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DarkAngel

Lord Vader
I'm guessing the possibility of seeing the destruction of Coast City and an eventual adaption of Emerald Twilight is slim to impossible? How I would love to see that, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts