Recommend me an anime to watch

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I'm looking to watch something new. Something besides what's aired on "Neo-Toonami" (like "Attack on Titan", "Space Dandy" or "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure", which I have watched).

Consider me somebody who's unfamiliar with the anime landscape from 2000 onward (yeah, I was big into Toonami and "Adult Swim Action" from 2000 to 2005, but in retrospect, many of those anime were from the 90's. So consider me a blank slate for anime in the 2000's. I even missed out on "Bleach" and "Death Note", never watched those. So I guess you could recommend me things that aired in America from 2005 to 2012...

So yeah, recommend me an anime from 2000 onward. And it has to have a legally available stream (Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll, Funimation). EDIT: Well, okay, I guess if it has a DVD release in America, that'd be fine to recommend as well.

An English dub is PREFERRED but not a requirement.

I'm looking for everything from "These are the classics of the 2000's/2010's" to "here are some hidden gems". I like action anime, kids anime, sci-fi anime, fantasy anime, horror anime (but nothing too gory)...really, just about anything.

Your suggestions?!?

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Well, Death Note, then :D Or Monster, perhaps. I haven't seen the anime but I am currently reading the mangas and it's really good.

I like reading manga but I find it really hard to find series I like. Although I am starting to think the "psychological" genre is my thing. (Liar Game, Monster, Death Note, perhaps Mao Juvenile Remix)

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
Chihayafuru - Don't be put off by the fact that this is a sports anime, and one about a niche Japanese sport at that. The sports element is as intense as many action scenes, and the characters are all great.
Made in Abyss - An excellent fantasy series that immediately hooks you into its world and teaches you not to judge a book by its cover.
My Hero Academia - One of the best shonen action/superpower series in a long time.
Princess Tutu - I could say almost the same things about Princess Tutu as I could Made in Abyss, except Princess Tutu doesn't get as dark and bloody as MiA does at parts.
Steins;Gate - One of the biggest recent-ish series, ranking at #5 on all of MyAnimeList. This is for good reason. The story has a slow, slice-of-life-ish buildup that still entertains and fascinates you by letting you get to know the world and characters before throwing you for an intensely gripping loop. An alternate version/continuation of the story, Steins;Gate 0, is currently airing in Japan.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
A few that came to mind...

Ronia the Robber's Daughter, Maetel Legend, Space Symphony Maetel, The Galaxy Railways, Kaleido Star, Gallery Fake, Trinity Blood, Blood+, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo,
Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales

Not all have an EN dub, but I think sub should be fine.

StorytellerMJ5

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic and the second season Kingdom of Magic. Probably my favorite anime of all time. A fantastic show with a ton of great characters and a plot that's good from the beginning to the end. Lots of magic and big battle scenes. Plus a ton of emotion.

Fate/Zero- A great show with a cool concept and a bunch of great characters. If you like it then I'd try Fate Unlimited Blade Works and Fate/Apocrypha.

Ouran High School Host Club- Hilarious. That is all.

Devil is a Part Timer- Hilarious with action.

Tiger and Bunny- Heroes fighting villains. And it's amazing.

Your Lie in April- Can get a little annoying, but it has a really good story with great music. And a great main character.

B: The Beginning- Really cool sci-fi with an interesting mystery as well.

Violet Evergarden- I'm only 4 episodes in, but it's great so far. An interesting concept and a ton of emotion.

Everything I mentioned has a dub and is on Netflix. I hope you try something, especially Magi.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Yona of the Dawn is really good. It has a really interesting premise and it felt pretty refreshing as a Shojo series in terms of its main female lead and the romance between the leads as well. It kind of reminds me Fushigi Yugi, but with better writing. The two series aren't that similar, but I would read comparing the two and some of the character designs remind me of Fushigi Yugi. Still, the series itself is quite enjoyable and I'm still hoping for a second season to come out one day.

I'd also second Ouran High School Host Club. It is quite hilarious with some sweet and heartfelt moments to make the series and characters more endearing than one would expect.

I also think that you could give Kamisama Kiss a try. It is about a girl who becomes a god to a small shrine and how she struggles with balancing that with her life at school. I haven't laughed this hard at an anime since Ouran and the romance itself was quite sweet. I really need to watch season two one of these days.

Pretear might be a nice short magical girl series if you're interested in that. It's made by the same person behind Princess Tutu. It doesn't have the same kind of popularity that Princess Tutu does, mainly because it is more of a traditional magical girl series done well instead of a more unique take on the genre like Princess Tutu. Despite that, I found myself liking Pretear more. I think I could just relate to the main lead more, I liked her development, the romance was handled nicely and it had a terrific ending. I wish it had more episodes to flesh out the other cast members, as well as to include a few elements from the manga, but I wouldn't have changed the ending beyond at most giving a longer epilogue. It's easily my favorite magical girl series and I wish it got more attention.

I'd also recommend Robotics;Notes. Out of all of the semicolon series, Steins;Gates is easily the best received and with good reason. I would also recommend that series since it has a cool use of time travel, some likable characters and a pretty nice romance, but I found myself liking Robotics;Notes more in a way. I think I just liked how they mixed the more laid back tone with the more serious and intense events as the series progressed without feeling too jarring or too much. I liked the friendships with the characters, the romance was also nice, I really liked the music and it was just all around fun. I can still see why it doesn't get much attention, especially when it did come after Steins;Gate, but I think it would be worth trying out at least. I should rewatch the series one of these days since I liked it so much before.

Frank98

Keep moving forward
Denno Coil

Gurren Lagann

The Tatami Galaxy

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Nobodyman

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - Really surprised no one has mentioned this yet. One of the most acclaimed anime series in recent years and a faithful adaptation of the manga.

Kill la Kill - The "fanservice" may be a bit much for some, but I thought this was a really fun and funny series that I actually prefer over Gurren Lagann.

Durarara - A very fun over-the-top series with an great cast of characters, even though I felt it kind of dragged in the second half.

Konosuba - I've only just finished the first season myself, but this is a really fun send-up of the JRPG fantasy genre and one of the few anime to regularly make me laugh out loud.

Samurai Champloo - Pretty much a spiritual successor to Cowboy Bebop and, while it's not as good, it's still great fun.

Paranoia Agent - The only TV series made by the late great Satoshi Kon. As typical of his work, it's trippy as hell, but very good and visually creative.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - Really surprised no one has mentioned this yet. One of the most acclaimed anime series in recent years and a faithful adaptation of the manga.

Kill la Kill - The "fanservice" may be a bit much for some, but I thought this was a really fun and funny series that I actually prefer over Gurren Lagann.

Durarara - A very fun over-the-top series with an great cast of characters, even though I felt it kind of dragged in the second half.

Konosuba - I've only just finished the first season myself, but this is a really fun send-up of the JRPG fantasy genre and one of the few anime to regularly make me laugh out loud.

Samurai Champloo - Pretty much a spiritual successor to Cowboy Bebop and, while it's not as good, it's still great fun.

Paranoia Agent - The only TV series made by the late great Satoshi Kon. As typical of his work, it's trippy as hell, but very good and visually creative.

So pretty much saying "The Adult Swim Anime stuff from 2005 to 2012 was worth checking out"? ;)

Everything I mentioned has a dub and is on Netflix. I hope you try something, especially Magi.

Thanks, yes please, it helps to mention where to locate these anime being recommended.

I watched this online yesterday, is it a pretty good list of what to watch on Netflix?

I suggest World Trigger, Twin Star Exorcists, and Black Clover.

Is Black Clover available on anywhere besides Adult Swim On Demand?

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Nobodyman

So pretty much saying "The Adult Swim Anime stuff from 2005 to 2012 was worth checking out"? ;)
Yeah, basically. Admittedly, I don't watch much beyond whatever AS/Toonami gives us.

Also, I believe everything I listed is available either on Netflix or Crunchyroll.

Is Black Clover available on anywhere besides Adult Swim On Demand?
I know the sub is available on Crunchyroll. Not sure about the dub.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
"Kill me Baby" - It's mostly just a comedy slice of life series with 3 girls one happens to be an assassin , one is a normal but kind of not bright, and there's a girl who happens to be a ninja. It is on DVD and Blu Ray bought it on Amazon a few months ago. And it's dubbed.

Denno Coil is a great series with fun characters and a mystery too. I found it on the streaming service HI-Dive they spell it Den-noh coil. Also on DVD/ Blu Ray , but broken up.

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
I watched this online yesterday, is it a pretty good list of what to watch on Netflix?

That's a pretty good list, though it, unfortunately, came out a month before, and therefore is missing Devilman: Crybaby. If you're a fan of older anime you're likely already familiar with Devilman, and Masaaki Yuasa's fresh take on the franchise is a quite nostalgic ride back to the time of sex-and-violence OVAs. (Oh yeah, this one is definitely NSFW.)

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Food Wars and My Hero Academia. They are the two best modern anime shows I think that are still on right now.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
The Ancient Magus Bride is a beautiful show.

Also, RE:Zero. That hasn't been on Neo-Toonami.

Food Wars is fantastic.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Starting next month, I will be going back to using Magical Doremi profile pics for a while, because I want to honor the first magical girl series I ever watched.
Streaker Prower wrote on Vuxovich's profile.
What would happen if FUNimation did continue to use Ocean Media for Dragon Ball Z And Probably the Original Dragon Ball, GT, Kai, Super and the Video Games

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now

Featured Posts