Rank the Animated Spider-Man TV Series' Into Categories!

Latest News & Videos

SuperFan2024

Shoo fly.
Just like the title says; rank the Spidey series' into the categories! What are the categories you may ask? Well, they are:

- Art/Animation: Character art, art within an episode, backgrounds, animation fluidity, CGI (CGI for it's time. For example, the 90's series may have worse CGI then the current series because it was made in the 90s, so that has to be taken into consideration) and ect.

- Storylines/Writing: The writing and dynamics within the entire series and each and every episode, character interactions, story arcs, and etc.

- Stories From the Comics: The stories, characters, and etc don't all come straight out of the TV writers heads now do they? They all came from a specific set(s) of comics throughout the era of Spider-Man. Rank how well each series as a whole does this. I.e. Spidey '67's first season was mainly based off the original Ditko/Lee comics. How well did that series take those original comic book elements?

I'll do my list for Art/Animation as an example:

1. The Spectacular Spider-Man
2. Spider-Man: The Animated Series
3. Ultimate Spider-Man
4. Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
5. Spider-Man (1981).
6. Spider-Man Unlimited
7. Spider-Man (2017).
8. Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
9. Spider-Man (1967).

NOTE: You all don't have to do all three categories if you don't want to, just make sure your lists/rankings are in Spoiler/Spoiler format so they don't take too much post space/page space please.

Also, if you want to, you can also explain your decisions for your rankings. Your choice! Enjoy!

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I haven't seen all of the Spider-Man series but I'll rank the ones I have seen.

Art / Animation.

2. Marvel's Spider-Man
3. Ultimate Spider-Man
4. Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
5. Spider-Man: The Animated Series
6. Spider-Man Unlimited.

Storyline / Writing

1. Ultimate Spider-Man
2. Marvel's Spider-Man
3. The Spectacular Spider-Man
4. Spider-Man Unlimited
5. Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
6. Spider-Man: The Animated Series

Stories based from the comics.

I don't read the comics, so I have no clue about that one.

Just for fun, I'll rank the series

1. Ultimate Spider-Man
2. Marvel's Spider-Man
3. The Spectacular Spider-Man
4. Spider-Man: The Animated Series
5. Spider-Man Unlimited
6. Spider-Man: The New Animated Series

As for the spoiler tags I don't feel comfortable using them for anything but spoilers. If people use them for other reasons, people are going to start accidentally clicking on tags with spoilers in them. So I will only use them for their original intent.

This post doesn't take up too much space anyways. And even if it did, people could just choose not to read it. Toon Zone does not have a official policy on too long posts. If it did, I'd be in trouble.

Last edited:

Freddy

Art/Animation

1. Ultimate Spider-Man
2. The Spectacular Spider-Man
3. Spider-Man Unlimited
4. Spider-Man: The Animated Series
5. Spider-Man (2017)
6. Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
7. Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
8. Spider-Man (1981)
9. Spider-Man (1967)

NOTE! I'm not ranking the current show in either of following categories, since I haven't watched a single episode of it.

Storylines/Writing

3. Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
3. Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
4. Spider-Man (1981)
5. Spider-Man Unlimited
6. Spider-Man (1967)/Ultimate Spider-Man

Stories From the Comics

Took some major liberties, sure, but also recreated many iconic images and, most importantly, captured the spirit and themes of the comics.

Was more heavily influenced by contemporary Spider-Man comics, in terms of both tone and style, than Stan Lee's era or Spider-Man's history as a whole, not to mention some weird changes, but the comic influences are still there.

3. Spider-Man (1967)
Probably would have ranked higher than TAS, if later seasons didn't go completely bonkers.

4. Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends/Spider-Man (1981)
I'm not sure I can say that either of them is a clear victor over the other. Both of them did some major deviations, but I can't claim that they are completely in-name-only either or anything like that.

5. Ultimate Spider-Man
Probably would have shared no. 4 spot with SMHAF and 1981, if its take on Peter Paker wasn't so wrong.

6. Spider-Man: The New Animated Series

7. Spider-Man Unlimited

Trevor

Art/Animation
1. Spider-Man (1994)
2. Spider-Man 1967
3. Spider-Man 5000
4. Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends
5. Spider-Msn Unlimited
6. Ultimate Spider-Man
7 Spider-Man (2003?)
8. Spectacular Spider-Man

Storylines/Writing

1. Spider-Man 1967
2. Spider-Man 5000
3. Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends
4. Spider-Man (1994)
5. Spider-Man (2003?)
6. Spider-Man Unlimited
7. Ultimate Spider-Man
8. Spectacular Spider-Man

Spider-Man (1994) is at #4 in Writing is because I’m not that much of a fan of Season long arcs. I prefer standalone episodes because you don’t need to know what goes on in the other episodes.

VintageToonFan

Well, here's how I rank them.

Art/Animation:
1) Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends
  1. Spider-Man (1967)
  2. Spider-Man (1994)
  3. Spider-Man (1981)
  4. Ultimate Spider-Man
  5. Spider-Man (2003)
  6. Spider-Man Unlimited
  7. Spectacular Spider-Man

Storylines/Writing:
1) Spider-Man (1994)
  1. Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends
  2. Spider-Man (1967)
  3. Spider-Man (1981)
  4. Spider-Man (2003)
  5. Ultimate Spider-Man
  6. Spider-Man Unlimited
  7. The Spectacular Spider-Man

Stories from the Comics:
1) Spider-Man (1967)
  1. Spider-Man (1994)
  2. Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends
  3. Spider-Man (1981)
  4. Spider-Man (2003)
  5. Ultimate Spider-Man
  6. Spider-Man Unlimited

Again, I haven't seen the current Spidey cartoon so I can't rank it.

Freddy

I hope this post doesn't come across as [rude]. I'm not trying to attack you over your opinions or start a fight, I'm just curious about some of your rankings.

Art/Animation:
1) Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends
  1. Spider-Man (1967)
  2. Spider-Man (1994)
  3. Spider-Man (1981)
  4. Ultimate Spider-Man
  5. Spider-Man (2003)
  6. Spider-Man Unlimited
  7. Spectacular Spider-Man
Firstly, what makes you rank 60's show so high? I mean, I guess it was as good as you could realistically expect from low-budget tv-animation from 60's (although, I'm not personally farmiliar enough with other animated shows from that period to tell for sure) and liking aesthetics comes down to personal taste, but aren't the stiff movements and constant recycling of old animations kinda glaring flaws? Again, not saying that there's anything wrong with you liking the show's art and animation, but I'm raising an eyebrow a little over it ranking so high.

Stories from the Comics:
1) Spider-Man (1967)
  1. Spider-Man (1994)
  2. Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends
  3. Spider-Man (1981)
  4. Spider-Man (2003)
  5. Ultimate Spider-Man
  6. Spider-Man Unlimited
Meanwhile, I'm curious what makes you rank the MTV show and Unlimited over SSM. Both of those took HUGE liberties with the source material and didn't really adapt any Spider-Man comics book stories. They also barely featured Spidey's actual rogues gallery or supporting cast. SSM, meanwhile, did base most of its episodes on actual comic stories or very least took influences from them.

Again, just to be clear, nothing wrong if you overall like those show more than SSM. I just can't see how anyone could say that they were more faithful adaptations.

Last edited by a moderator:

VintageToonFan

I hope this post doesn't come across as [rude]. I'm not trying to attack you over your opinions or start a fight, I'm just curious about some of your rankings.

Firstly, what makes you rank 60's show so high? I mean, I guess it was as good as you could realistically expect from low-budget tv-animation from 60's (although, I'm not personally farmiliar enough with other animated shows from that period to tell for sure) and liking aesthetics comes down to personal taste, but aren't the stiff movements and constant recycling of old animations kinda glaring flaws? Again, not saying that there's anything wrong with you liking the show's art and animation, but I'm raising an eyebrow a little over it ranking so high.

Meanwhile, I'm curious what makes you rank the MTV show and Unlimited over SSM. Both of those took HUGE liberties with the source material and didn't really adapt any Spider-Man comics book stories. They also barely featured Spidey's actual rogues gallery or supporting cast. SSM, meanwhile, did base most of its episodes on actual comic stories or very least took influences from them.

Again, just to be clear, nothing wrong if you overall like those show more than SSM. I just can't see how anyone could say that they were more faithful adaptations.
Well, in terms of art/animation, yes, I know the 67 Spidey cartoon had some pretty stiff animation, but I actually liked the character designs, since they were pretty similar to the comics. But for the time, that was mighty impressive animation for a TV budget. However, I always preferred the animation in the second season of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. That animation looked gorgeous. SSM's designs really weren't for me. I just found them too ugly.

And yes, those shows did take liberties, but IMO, the creators of the show were trying different things while attempting to keep the essence of the character, whereas with SSM, I personally felt the adaptations, though somewhat faithful, felt pretty uninspired (especially compared to some of the adaptations the 90's show and the 67 cartoon had). Again, that's my opinion and I understand if you disagree, but as I said in another thread, SSM is just not my cup of tea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spider-Man

Art/Animation:
The series with the best animation is probably Ultimate Spider-Man and that was really the only thing this show had going for it. It definitely looked like it had the budget behind it, especially in the earlier seasons and overall the quality seemed pretty high. I'd place The Spectacular Spider-Man after that and maybe give the new Marvel's Spider-Man and Spider-Man MTV series honorable mentions. After those four shows, the rest of the shows had pretty poor animation quality overall. Even the 1994 Spider-Man cartoon. The first episode and maybe a handful of season one episodes really did look good since those episodes had less errors and reused animation. Whenever a reused bit of animation appeared in an episode it immediately killed any tension or momentum the episode had. It also ripped me right out of the episode and the more it happened the less I ended up caring about the episode because it seemed so hastily thrown together.

Storylines/Writing:
The Spectacular Spider-Man without a doubt. They felt like fully realized characters and successfully modernized and updated takes on the comic characters I grew up with. Characters feel real, layered and complex and don't feel like cogs in a story moving from plot A to plot B. Second place would be probably Marvel's Spider-Man as I find it a fun adaptation of the current Spider-Man comics. No other shows can really touch these two shows with how well they've built up their characters.

Stories From the Comics:
The Spectacular Spider-Man did this pretty much perfectly. The series is heavily influenced by the comics and you can tell. It's a love letter to the early days of Spider-Man, even if they tossed in Venom to spruce things up. This is the only cartoon that felt like it hit all the right notes adaptation these characters to animation. Marvel's Spider-Man is second as it's really pulling from the last ten years or so of Spider-Man and is coming up with some pretty cool stuff. That show is way better than I ever expected it to be. The 1994 Spider-Man series deserves a mention only because it seemed to pull out some of the worst ideas in Spider-Man (and comics in general) for that show.

Spider-Man hasn't had the best cartoons no matter how much we want to believe it. Spider-Man Unlimited is flat-out bad top to bottom with the exception of a couple nice character designs. The 1994 Spider-Man show even though it seemed cool when it first aired has aged terribly. The character designs are bad (armor on Doc Ock, a super-buff Peter Parker who looks almost 30), the stories became a mess the longer it went on and the animation was terrible with the odd exception here and there. Possibly worst than the 1990s X-Men cartoon. I absolutely loved both Spider-Man and X-Men as a kid and now can barely make it through an episode. The CGI Spider-Man series, while better than the SMTAS and SU shows, still is pretty weak. The stories and characters don't feel right and it got pretty repetitive and seemed to kinda retread the same plot over and over. The 60s and 80s shows are still fine for their time but even then seemed dragged down by bad animation and weak writing.

The only two Spider-Man shows that have really jumped out at me are Spec Spidey and the new Marvel's Spider-Man. Everything else is basically the same level of mediocrity, give or take.