R.I.P. Toys R Us

jaylop97

Staff member
I live near one and it is a shame it will be empty when driving up around those parts.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
We still have two stores in Braga. In Portugal, it's licensed to the Spanish branch. Though not all international brances will close. North America and possibly the UK are affected.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Y'know, to be honest I never went to Toys R Us much, even when I was the target audience. My local variety store had TMNT action figures, so that base was covered, and I usually shopped for video games at Wal-Mart/K-Mart or Funcoland when it was still operating.

I think I bought one video game there and I can't remember what it was. It was from the SNES era, I remember that much.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
International operations will be sold off but I believe the name will be retained. The new Iberian license holder will be decided soon.

TsWade2

This is so sad. It's part of my childhood. I think the reason why it went downhill because they don't believe of the trend of the internet. That's what my brother told me, but I'm not sure.

Dr.Pepper

This is so sad. It's part of my childhood. I think the reason why it went downhill because they don't believe of the trend of the internet. That's what my brother told me, but I'm not sure.
Yeah probably. When my local Toys r Us closed about 10 years ago, my dad said he read in the newspaper that people would rather buy toys at places like Target and Wal Mart.

TsWade2

Yeah probably. When my local Toys r Us closed about 10 years ago, my dad said he read in the newspaper that people would rather buy toys at places like Target and Wal Mart.
That maybe possible as well.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Toys could become a viable option again if the tendency to use smartphones and tablets will reduced. That would be good for our health but at this rate it's irreversible.

Nobodyman

While Toys R Us was never one of my most frequent places to shop as a kid, I still do have fond memories of it. Mostly video game-related, actually.

I remember when I was kid that, in lieu of having a specialized video game section and/or having them all behind a locked glass case, Toys R Us would basically have an aisle that displayed pictures of all the available video games. And once you decided on one, you would take a matching slip for the game you wanted, bring it to a counter, and the cashier would fetch the game from the backroom. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it since.

Also, Toys R Us is where I bout my Wii and my PS3. But yeah, sad to see it go.

Rabbitearsblog

Even though I never shopped at Toys R Us when I was younger, it's still sad seeing one of the longest running department stores go out of business. I guess because we are living in a age now where video games and smartphones are dominating what kids are playing, Toys R Us just couldn't compete with that. Hopefully, toys will eventually come back in the future.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.
Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts