R.I.P. Toys R Us

Latest News & Videos

Classic Speedy

Yup.
Staff member
Reporter
May 13, 2003
Y'know, to be honest I never went to Toys R Us much, even when I was the target audience. My local variety store had TMNT action figures, so that base was covered, and I usually shopped for video games at Wal-Mart/K-Mart or Funcoland when it was still operating.

I think I bought one video game there and I can't remember what it was. It was from the SNES era, I remember that much.

TsWade2

Apr 5, 2015
This is so sad. It's part of my childhood. I think the reason why it went downhill because they don't believe of the trend of the internet. That's what my brother told me, but I'm not sure.

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
In A House
This is so sad. It's part of my childhood. I think the reason why it went downhill because they don't believe of the trend of the internet. That's what my brother told me, but I'm not sure.
Yeah probably. When my local Toys r Us closed about 10 years ago, my dad said he read in the newspaper that people would rather buy toys at places like Target and Wal Mart.

Nobodyman

Sep 11, 2009
U.S.A.
While Toys R Us was never one of my most frequent places to shop as a kid, I still do have fond memories of it. Mostly video game-related, actually.

I remember when I was kid that, in lieu of having a specialized video game section and/or having them all behind a locked glass case, Toys R Us would basically have an aisle that displayed pictures of all the available video games. And once you decided on one, you would take a matching slip for the game you wanted, bring it to a counter, and the cashier would fetch the game from the backroom. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it since.

Also, Toys R Us is where I bout my Wii and my PS3. But yeah, sad to see it go.

Rabbitearsblog

Jul 6, 2011
United States
Even though I never shopped at Toys R Us when I was younger, it's still sad seeing one of the longest running department stores go out of business. I guess because we are living in a age now where video games and smartphones are dominating what kids are playing, Toys R Us just couldn't compete with that. Hopefully, toys will eventually come back in the future.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy anniversary to Rugrats, Doug and The Ren & Stimpy Show, which premiered on Nickelodeon 29 years ago today!
Look guys! Another reboot:

...and it is going to be a drama?

Just like with San Diego Comic Con a few weeks ago, New York Comic Con will be virtual this year. It's from October 8-11.
I wish a happy birthday to Roger Craig Smith (45), Will Friedle (44), and Alyson Stoner (27). Roger's roles include Batman, Sonic The Hedgehog, and Captain America. Will's roles include Terry McGinnis/Batman, Ron Stoppable, and Peter Quill/Star Lord. Allyson's roles include Isabella (Phineas And Ferb), Batgirl (Young Justice, Lego DC DVD movies), and Sam Sharp.