R.I.P. Leon Redbone (1949-2019)

Latest News & Videos

Low Spark of Lyman

Out of Limits
Apr 7, 2018
New Hampshire, U.S.
Leon Redbone, jazz-blues-Tin Pan Alley singer, died yesterday at the age of 69. Among other things, he sang the theme song for Mr. Belvedere and played Leon the Snowman in the 2003 film Elf.

Worth mentioning here is his first album, On the Track (which is part of my music collection)- the cover art, featuring a certain singing frog, was done by Chuck Jones himself.

Reactions: Fone Bone

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
I love the Mr. Belvedere Theme. Redbone's stuff was so memorable to me because it was actually FUNNY. His voice, inflections and the lyrics were amusing, without ever veering to parody. They were all fun songs to listen to.

For the record, there are disputes he was actually 69. Redbone seemed to be one of those performers who kept his age to himself. 69 is just an estimate.

Low Spark of Lyman

Out of Limits
Apr 7, 2018
New Hampshire, U.S.
For the record, there are disputes he was actually 69. Redbone seemed to be one of those performers who kept his age to himself. 69 is just an estimate.
According to his longtime publicist, he was indeed 69. Nevertheless, his website gave a humorous obit that said he was 127, heh heh.

Who could forget the time when Marceline from Adventure Time sang the Mr. Belvedere theme song?
I thought it would be fitting to mention him in an animation forum, so that's all the more relevant (coincidentally, he retired the same year the Stakes miniseries premiered).

Reactions: Fone Bone