Quick Disney Afternoon DVDs Question...

Latest News & Videos

MagicBox

xoBcigaM
Sep 17, 2007
On The Forums... Duh!
Hey, guys. I just had a quick question for the Disney Afternoon DVD experts out there. I feel a little awkward asking this because I just *know* it's been asked before, but after a few internet and forum searches, I still haven't found the exact answer I'm looking for.

Here's my question. I was just wondering which of the Disney Afternoon DVDs featured any edits/cuts, and if so, how many? I know that the DVDs of "Darkwing Duck" and "TaleSpin" feature the edited-for-time versions of the pilot episodes. I also heard that this means that some scenes (and even a musical number in TaleSpin's case) are missing. It's entirely possible that I've heard wrong, which is why I'm asking you guys. So, what's up with these pilot episodes? Are there really edits/cuts like I've heard? What does that mean for the pilots of DuckTales and Chip 'n' Dale?

Also, is there anything edited/cut from any non-pilot episodes on any of the Disney Afternoon sets/shows/episodes?

Thanks in advance for any help. I know I'm asking a lot. And sorry if this question gets asked a lot. I really did run a few forum searches to see if I could find out on my own. Thanks!

Erased Paper

Jan 17, 2005
the refuge
The short answer is that the DVDs have the same episodes that aired in syndication.

The longer answer: "I also heard that this means that some scenes (and even a musical number in TaleSpin's case) are missing." That was only in the "TV movie" version that only aired once (in each market). It was cut for time in the episodic version that aired in 1990-onward. Same with "Darkwing Duck."

"What does that mean for the pilots of DuckTales and Chip 'n' Dale?"

The "TV movie" versions of those were shorter than the episodic ones.

"Also, is there anything edited/cut from any non-pilot episodes on any of the Disney Afternoon sets/shows/episodes?"

Yes. The DD episode "Double Darkwings" and the RR episodes "Puffed Rangers" and "Dirty Rotten Diapers". For the former two, the edited versions are on the DVDs. The original version of "Double Darkwings" only aired two or three times. So, the edited version was first aired in 1992. Some Gargoyles episodes had retakes (animation fixes) that were added in reruns, but the DVDs have the first-run versions.

Most DA shows had additional edits (censorship) on Toon Disney and Disney Channel, but none of those alterations are on the DVDs to my knowledge.

Lastly, some shows like DD had more than one opening, but only the syndicated one is included.

Craig Crumpton

This is a close-up?
Jun 7, 2001
Atlanta, GA
voiceactors.wordpress.com
Hey, guys. I just had a quick question for the Disney Afternoon DVD experts out there. I feel a little awkward asking this because I just *know* it's been asked before, but after a few internet and forum searches, I still haven't found the exact answer I'm looking for.

Here's my question. I was just wondering which of the Disney Afternoon DVDs featured any edits/cuts, and if so, how many? I know that the DVDs of "Darkwing Duck" and "TaleSpin" feature the edited-for-time versions of the pilot episodes. I also heard that this means that some scenes (and even a musical number in TaleSpin's case) are missing. It's entirely possible that I've heard wrong, which is why I'm asking you guys. So, what's up with these pilot episodes? Are there really edits/cuts like I've heard? What does that mean for the pilots of DuckTales and Chip 'n' Dale?

Also, is there anything edited/cut from any non-pilot episodes on any of the Disney Afternoon sets/shows/episodes?

Thanks in advance for any help. I know I'm asking a lot. And sorry if this question gets asked a lot. I really did run a few forum searches to see if I could find out on my own. Thanks!
I'm still trying to figure out which one is the "quick question"? ;)

- which of the Disney Afternoon DVDs featured any edits/cuts and if so, how many?

That's actually two questions about more than a half-dozen series. But here's what I know.

TALESPIN: According to this site, 19 eps of TaleSpin were "restored uncut for the DVD release." As I recall, the pilot originally aired as a 2-hour movie, but on the DVD it's chopped into 4 episodes. Click that link for a complete and detailed list of edits Disney made to the show during its broadcast run. I do not know if these same edited versions are on the DVDs.

DARKWING DUCK: The pilot is indeed edited on the DVD -- divided into 2 eps. The VHS release was the original hour-length broadcast version, uncut.

Besides these 2, I cannot find that any of the other TDA series released on DVD contain any other edits. That doesn't mean there aren't any, but that's all I know of.

MagicBox

xoBcigaM
Sep 17, 2007
On The Forums... Duh!
I'm still trying to figure out which one is the "quick question"? ;)
Haha, it started out as a quick question, but once I start typing... yeah. :p

Okay, so if I'm reading everyone's replies correctly, here's what we know:

- Each series only features its syndication opening on DVD.
- The uncut pilots for "TaleSpin" and "Darkwing Duck" only aired once, and then the edited-for-time "episode" versions (with certain scenes cut out) aired and were released on the DVDs.
- According to that link, "TaleSpin" seems to be the one with the most trouble regarding edits, but most of them seem to have been uncut on the DVD release.
- Select episodes of "Darkwing" and "Chip 'n' Dale" have been edited on DVD.

So "TaleSpin," "Darkwing," and "Chip 'n' Dale" seem to have minor issues, but DuckTales and Gummi Bears seem to be unedited/uncut and free of problems?

The "TV movie" versions of those were shorter than the episodic ones.
So, there's *more* content in the episode versions of those pilots? That seems strange, but I guess that's a good thing considering the episode versions were the ones released to DVD,

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

According to zap2it, it appears all Nick channels on Sat Jul 25 will air Christmas episodes/specials
And the winner of this matchup is "Crossover Nexus", which got 5 votes. "The Power Is Yours" got 1 vote. The next matchup is between "Monster Party" and "Let's Meet Sonic".

So, I'm not sure where I should mention, but I want to talk about it. I was trying to update episode 2 of TOTS and episode 17 of The Rocketeer with Tara Strong and Steve Blum's respective credits (Tara as The Adorable Meter and Precious's Mother and Steve as Ivan The Strongman and the Ringmaster), but they're never accepted. What should I do?
Me:sees treehouse with Paper Mario
Me(again):eek:oohh, I wonder whats gonna happen..
Sees game reveal
Me: this is... A bakugan game!? Based on Battle Planet!? How...how..
My emotion of rage:Pls,do not put toxic Bakugan comments,or banning me,its just my opinion.
I like Bakugan,but only Battle Brawlers continuity,and i don't like Battle Planet insead.
And the winner of this matchup is "Heroes United", which got 4 votes. "TGIS" got 1 vote. The next 2 matchups are the 4 main crossovers for OK KO, which are split into 2 parts. The first half covers "The Power Is Yours" and "Crossover Nexus".