Upcoming Star Trek Films News and Speculation Thread (Spoilers)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Related Movie Talkbacks
See Also
===============================================================================================================================
Quentin Tarantino directing Star Trek 4?!?!

And it's going to be R-rated? WTF?

Zachary Quinto Supports R-Rating of Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek

What is Star Trek thinking? I'm disgusted and devastated. Gene Roddenberry would be rolling over in his grave.

Last edited by a moderator:

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Star Trek has really gone in a mature direction. A number of episodes of Discovery are rated TV-MA.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
This is different. Tarantino's films are known to engage in debauchery and depravity which completely goes against everything Roddenberry believed in about humanity. The MA episodes of Discovery were mature, but not over the top. What Tarantino wants to do instead is destroy everything that makes Star Trek Star Trek.

Freddy

Remember, at the moment, it has not been confirmed whenever Tarantino will actually direct the movie. He only came up with a story idea, presented it to J. J. Abrams/Paramount and Mark L. Smith (the writer of The Revenant) is currently turning it into a full screenplay. Naturally, it is assumed that Tarantino will also direct, but considering that to date he has never directed a movie not written by himself, we just have to wait and see.

But honestly, I'm open to this. Star Trek movies could use a major shake-up, since the last great Star Trek movie was First Contact, which was 22 years ago! Insurrection is the worst out of all of them, Nemesis (with help from Enterprise) killed the franchise, both 09 and Into Darkness are less racist Michael Bay movies and Beoynd was entertaining, but nothing noteworthy. Maybe Tarantino is an injection of new energy and fresh ideas that the franchise seriously needs. Granted, if it was up to me to choose some well-known filmmaker to make the next movie, I would go with someone like Duncan Jones or Alex Garland, who would make a hard science-fiction movie, but Tarantino is self-admitted trekkie, so he hopefully will respect the property.

PF9

Honestly I was hoping his Trek movie would be Tarantino's shot at a PG-13 movie as a change of pace, allowing a wider audience to see what he can do. All he has directed have been R-rated movies. Guess this will continue to be the case.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Honestly I was hoping his Trek movie would be Tarantino's shot at a PG-13 movie as a change of pace, allowing a wider audience to see what he can do. All he has directed have been R-rated movies. Guess this will continue to be the case.
That's what I had hoped too. But Tarantino never fails to live down to my lowest expectations.

PF9

Imagine the outrage from parents if QT was going to direct an R-rated Pokemon movie.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
They should just cancel the movie. Either make Beyond the last Kelvin Timeline movie, or start over from scratch with a new Kelvin Next Gen cast. They need to get away from whatever crap Taratino had planned for the franchise.

tonyr6

Imagine the outrage from parents if QT was going to direct an R-rated Pokemon movie.
Would not suprise me. They ruined Star Trek with a mature rating, They ruined Marvel NF series with a mature rating and soon they ruined Teen Titans "Titans" series with more mature garbage.

Freddy

Again, just like I said in my previous post, Star Trek 4 (which will be directed by S. J. Clarkson) and Tarantino's Trek project are two seperate things, and at the moment we don't even know for sure whenever the latter will feature the kelvin cast or not.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Again, just like I said in my previous post, Star Trek 4 (which will be directed by S. J. Clarkson) and Tarantino's Trek project are two seperate things, and at the moment we don't even know for sure whenever the latter will feature the kelvin cast or not.
Do we know for sure they are two separate things? Do you have a link to confirm that?

PF9

You know what's ironic about QT's R-rated Star Trek? The first Trek movie was originally rated G. Therefore, we will have had Trek movies on opposite ends of the rating spectrum (not counting NC-17 for obvious reasons).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
As far as I'm concerned the first movie was misrated. It contains swearing and pretty gruesome violence at points (such as the horrific transporter deaths). If it were released today is would get a pretty easy PG-13.

PF9

Why continue the reboot series when the movies and TV series will be under the same company again next month?

They are squandering a huge chance to launch a theatrical subseries that features all new characters.

Freddy

A fourth movie in the Kelvin timeline would probably be a huge flop. Fanbase didn't embrace the first two, each instalment made less money than the previous one and the general audience has moved on to other things. Not to mention, Discovery has been succesful enough to keep going, but not enough to raise the franchise's mainstream popularity.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts