Qubo Memoriam Thread

Theolivepit

Cartoon fan, coffee and tea lover
A lot of you might've heard about Qubo ceasing operations on February 28 because E.W. Scripps recently bought ION Media. I will provide a link from the E.W. Scripps website down below as proof that Qubo is really shutting down:

You may share your memories about the channel in this thread. Qubo will be dearly missed after February 28.

Reactions: CNC

Review Metabee

Who gets stuck with all the bad luck?
A lot of you might've heard about Qubo ceasing operations on February 28 because E.W. Scripps recently bought ION Media. I will provide a link from the E.W. Scripps website down below as proof that Qubo is really shutting down:

You may share your memories about the channel in this thread. Qubo will be dearly missed after February 28.
So many Kid Networks dying this year and last year smh

TheWolfPup2006

"I can fly, I can fly, I can flyyyyy!"
I remember my first time watching Qubo thanks to the NBC block and three words: Willa's Wild Life. That show had a major impact on my childhood. When I was a kid, around 2010, I saw the NBC block for the first time, and this show was about to come on. And the first time I saw it I instantly loved it, even more than Dora, or Backyardigans, or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse... and that's exactly what got me into Qubo. I learned a lot from watching Willa on the NBC block (and later ION after the NBC block's closure), like not being afraid of making mistakes, telling the truth, getting to know someone before deciding what they're like, giving a new friend a chance, etc. So while other kids my age were watching stuff like Dora, Barney, etc... I was that kid who'd tune in every saturday on NBC JUST to see Willa lol. In 2014, when it got taken off of the ION block, I was very devastated to see that the show was gone. But I DID get Qubo Channel about 2 years later.

Other shows I liked include: Jacob Two Two, Jane And The Dragon, Stella and Sam, Shelldon, Pearlie, Alfred Hedgehog, The Magic School Bus (the original), The Busy World of Richard Scarry, and Doki.

So I'd like to say... thank you for all the fun memories, Qubo.

Dr.Pepper

I pretty much only caught a little bit here and there when I used to house sit for a family friend without cable. I thought it was great for little kids.

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
When Qubo started, Ion was still PAX, & digital sub-channels weren’t that common. The few channels which had a sub-channel used it to stream their radar. PAX used two sub-channels; one with old movies & TV shows, the other with nature footage & Bible verses. They discontinued the old shows for Qubo, which dissapointed me.

Never got into the shows made specifically for Qubo, but it was a bit nostalgic when they picked up “Lamb Chop’s Playalong.” Babar was good too. And, late at night, they’d play older cartoons, from the 80’s & 90’s; that was nice.

I guess “Jane & the Dragon” never finished whatever story they were building towards; I’ll admit I enjoyed that one. Didn’t watch it regularly, but it had some good ideas.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I remember being mad that it announced, because I liked Discovery Kids on NBC, and I didn't have Discovery Kids channel. I also was once a big viewer of PAX TV, i/ Ion, and qubo aired on Fridays, I did warm up to it though and so I would watch it before watching stuff on Disney Channel. Cartoon Network, Nick... and that's where I first saw Jacob Two Two in English ( it aired on Telemundo in Spanish for a couple years) and really fell in love with that show. I didn't get the 24 hour channel until 2010, because I never had Ion as a local station it was only on cable the nearest market had it OTA, but not down where I was living. They added Ion Life and Qubo to the cable system in 2010, and enjoyed watching Jacob Two Two, Miss BG, and some other shows, it was comfy to relax to. I'm glad it existed, sad it's going away.

Last edited:

ToonRo

In the early 2010s, the first show I saw on Qubo was Jane and the Dragon.
A few years later, as a retro TV junkie, the Qubo Night Owl block would keep me tuning in, with He-Man and She-Ra.
I'd also watch Archie's Weird Mysteries, Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century, Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego, Jakers, Willa's Wild Life, Pearlie, Jacob Two-Two, The Zula Patrol, Rescue Heroes, Being Ian, Class of the Titans, Ned's Newt, and Stickin' Around.

Now with shows like Babar, Babar and Badou, Madeline, Maggie and the Ferocious Beast, Marvin the Tap-Dancing Horse, Paddington, Stella and Sam, Bob the Builder (classic and modern), Fireman Sam, Franklin, Cosmic Quantum Ray, Justin Time, Kate and Mim-Mim, and Messy Goes to OKIDO, I've been tuning into Qubo more than before.

It'll be sad to see Qubo go, so to Qubo, thank you for the memories! It won't be the same without you.

At this point, we could only hope that the Qubo Kids Corner block is kept on ION Television, since they could still have rights to some of the Qubo shows, and that ION Plus (previously ION Life) is also leaving.

Last edited:

Theolivepit

Cartoon fan, coffee and tea lover
I started watching Qubo on the NBC block at around the age of 4 in 2007. Some of the first shows that I have watched VeggieTales, 321 Penguins, Babar, Jacob Two-Two, and Jane and the Dragon. I continued watching the block until the block was discontinued in 2012. I didn’t watch Qubo again until I got an antenna in 2015. Days before the first day of school in 2015, I saw a Jacob Two-Two promo and I instantly remembered the show, so I knew that I was gonna watch Qubo a lot more often. During that time, I was introduced to many of Qubo’s acquired programming that I haven’t watched before such as Rescue Heroes, Pippi Longstocking, Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego, Anne of Green Gables, Being Ian, Class of the Titans, Timeblazers, Famous Five on the Case, etc. Then in early-mid 2016, I found out that Qubo had new programming such as Grossology, Stickin’ Around, Ned’s Newt, etc. I watched Qubo because of its unique library. Qubo has really made me fall in love with Canadian cartoons. I still watched Qubo despite going downhill due to paid programming, marathons, etc.

Qubo was definitely a party for everyone. A party for everyone that lasted for nearly 15 years is a very outstanding accomplishment. Unfortunately, that party will not last any longer. I had such an extraordinary time watching Qubo. I will miss Qubo very dearly after it ceases operations. And I bet you all will miss it as well.
We will remember Qubo for its obscure and unique programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mimitchi33

Lovely, in my most wonderful way!
I remember watching the qubo versions of VeggieTales, 3-2-1 Penguins and LarryBoy every weekend when I was in elementary school after my religion class. It was something that was very special for me and that I looked forward to each week. So much so, that I actually cried when I found out they dropped VeggieTales! My childhood dream was to own the qubo channel, which never did happen except for a brief period in 2012-2013...

CartoonLover2604

Jerk, Dinger, Bling blong.
I first recall vaguely seeing Qubo on the NBC block but didn't really think much of it. Years later I would rediscover Qubo again on the Qubo Kids Corner on ION Television which again I didn't think much of it though I recall enjoying “Harry and His Bucket Full of Dinosaurs”. In November or December 2016, Mr. Enter (a YouTube cartoon critic in case you didn't know) used “Stickin' Around” as an example for his review of that Comedy Central show “Legends of Chamberlain Heights”. (I don't really like Enter or watch him anymore). Upon me watching the review I was quite interested in Stickin' Around and checked to see if it were still airing on TV somewhere and luckily enough it was coming back to Qubo on December 26, 2016. Upon me waiting for Stickin' Around to come on at 3PM, I found myself enjoying a lot of the shows Qubo was airing and from then onwards I begin watching Qubo every so often by recording shows I thought were interesting and eventually started watching almost everyday. The channel really did introduce me to great shows old and new and again I'm truly sadden to see it go.

Last edited:

Cytz

It can happen
When Qubo started, Ion was still PAX, & digital sub-channels weren’t that common. The few channels which had a sub-channel used it to stream their radar. PAX used two sub-channels; one with old movies & TV shows, the other with nature footage & Bible verses. They discontinued the old shows for Qubo, which dissapointed me.

Never got into the shows made specifically for Qubo, but it was a bit nostalgic when they picked up “Lamb Chop’s Playalong.” Babar was good too. And, late at night, they’d play older cartoons, from the 80’s & 90’s; that was nice.

I guess “Jane & the Dragon” never finished whatever story they were building towards; I’ll admit I enjoyed that one. Didn’t watch it regularly, but it had some good ideas.
Correction: Ion was Independent Television. They dropped the PAX name in 2005 and the Qubo block launched in 2006.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts