"Primal" News & Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
I don't think that Toonami is in any danger of being marginalized or canceled.
Demarco definitely implies they are staying for years to come, so cancellation seems unlikely but marginalization, depending on how you define it, has already happened because Toonami was still a big enough deal it to be the place for a Samurai Jack yet it's not big enough for Primal premieres or even reruns. Toonami will exist as a the place for long running anime, but won't be the place for any Adult Swim originals. Supposedly, Adult Swim originals such as action elements, such as Boondocks, Venture Brothers, and Black Dynamite are forbidden from a Toonami airing. Why? Do they think the Toonami brand would taint these show's images being on the "weeb" block?

Reactions: RDG

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
It sounds like Adult Swim's about to undergo a huge change over the next year, only for Toonami to still exist as an "anime only" block from 11 to 4 am on Saturday nights? That doesn't shout out "everything's fine!" to me...

Reactions: RDG

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Demarco definitely implies they are staying for years to come, so cancellation seems unlikely but marginalization, depending on how you define it, has already happened because Toonami was still a big enough deal it to be the place for a Samurai Jack yet it's not big enough for Primal premieres or even reruns. Toonami will exist as a the place for long running anime, but won't be the place for any Adult Swim originals. Supposedly, Adult Swim originals such as action elements, such as Boondocks, Venture Brothers, and Black Dynamite are forbidden from a Toonami airing. Why? Do they think the Toonami brand would taint these show's images being on the "weeb" block?
I don't think that this is implying that Toonami isn't big enough for Primal premieres. It could simply be a matter of thinking that the series wouldn't quite fit on Toonami or it would be better suited for their regular schedule, especially when they're already losing some of the Fox series that they've been relying on for years. I don't know if other Adult Swim originals are forbidden to air on Toonami, but they probably don't really see a need to put them on Toonami when they can air them whenever they want to. Plus, devoting a slot or two for Adult Swim original series would probably make Toonami less special in a way, or at least I don't think it would be well received from fans of the block.

I just think people are looking way too much into Primal not airing on Toonami and assuming the worst out of little to no information.

It sounds like Adult Swim's about to undergo a huge change over the next year, only for Toonami to still exist as an "anime only" block from 11 to 4 am on Saturday nights? That doesn't shout out "everything's fine!" to me...
To be fair, they don't have a lot of options for western animation on Toonami. Most of the series they could work for the block have either been written off by Cartoon Network or are tied to other streaming services. Young Justice would have been a good fit for Toonami if DC wasn't set on having it as a the main attraction for their streaming service. Even if Primal aired on the block, it would be just one show and may not lead to more shows being made for Toonami. Toonami has been "anime only" for a good portion of its run on Adult Swim. I don't see any need to assume the worst just because they aren't airing one series.

• Agree
Reactions: RDG and Yojimbo

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
t could simply be a matter of thinking that the series wouldn't quite fit on Toonami or it would be better suited for their regular schedule, especially when they're already losing some of the Fox series that they've been relying on for years.
I would assume that it would fit in better with Toonami than the Adult Swim comedy based on tone. It would feel quite different from Family Guy or American Dad. Of course, we are assuming it's as action packed as the trailer implies. Someone asked Demarco on Twitter if it was a serious action show or a comedy a la Korgoth of Barbaria and he said "You have to wait and see." Maybe the show isn't as action packed as the trailer implies.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I would assume that it would fit in better with Toonami than the Adult Swim comedy based on tone. It would feel quite different from Family Guy or American Dad. Of course, we are assuming it's as action packed as the trailer implies. Someone asked Demarco on Twitter if it was a serious action show or a comedy a la Korgoth of Barbaria and he said "You have to wait and see." Maybe the show isn't as action packed as the trailer implies.
I've thought of that as well. It might not be as action packed as this teaser trailer leads people to believe or there could be more calm moments between all of the action.

It's also possible that Adult Swim wants to expand their horizon and not just be focused on comedy shows. I don't think that would necessarily mean anything bad for Toonami. They've been extremely dependent on Fox reruns and their own comedy series for a long time and few of their original series, especially in recent years, have done particularly well. Maybe losing all of those Fox reruns made them realize that they need to do something more with Adult Swim than just comedy.

Terror of Death

Aug 1, 2007
US
Genndy is definitely a master of his craft when it comes to directing and storyboarding but in terms of writing he's a mixed bag. Samurai Jack season 5 peaked at episode 3 and the rest of it was pretty underwhelming. The attempts at comedy and making the story more serialized and mature didn't completely work and came across as outdated more than anything. It felt more like a 2007 PG era cartoon network series instead of a 2017 TV-14 adult swim series.

Hopefully this new series won't have those same flaws. I don't completely like the artwork but the direction seems like it will be top notch.

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Anybody who attended the event, or can find a link to a thread of people who have, please provide input. We'd all like to know what kind of show and what tone this show will have. From the sound of things and what little we saw of the teaser, it sounds like a prehistoric Samurai Jack

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
On one hand, I think think this could be too brutal for me, but on the other hand, I love Dexter's Lab S1-2, Samurai Jack and Sym-Biotic Titan, and the backgrounds in the trailer all look fantastic! If had ten computers, I would give each of them a different Tartakovsky background!

So yeah, I'll definitely check this out!

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
I'm still curious if this is really an action show or if it's another Adult Swim comedy that was just advertised as an action show. If it is an actual serious action show, this would be a pretty big deal.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Saw the Descendants short Audrey's Royal Return. I will not miss this franchise. That was a disaster.
I'd tell Pumpkin Spice to go back where he came from but I'm not sure he'd still fit in the bottom of an outhouse.
Happy 2nd anniversary to what I believe is Disney’s best program, Parker Plays.
So now entire three and a half minute long music videos count as ads?? No thanks, YouTube.

#StopThisMadness
Radical Buster wrote on Spaceman's profile.
I really like your avatar. Violet Evergarden ranks pretty high on my list of favorite animes from last year, alongside Devilman Crybaby and Megalo Box.