Powerpuff Girls Live Action CW Series In Development

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
The series has E.G. Daily's blessing.

Image96.jpg

...Didn't think any of the OG voice actresses would approve...

Frontier

Staff member

JMTV Studios

I know I'm pretty late on this hot topic, but I want to get this off of my chest.

I really don't know why any executives at The CW thought it would be a good idea to reboot a beloved classic Cartoon Network series(AGAIN) into to some angsty drama crap.

When I first heard about this news on Twitter, I was pissed because I thought turning PPG into live-action is one of the most ass-backwards decisions I ever heard in my life. The Powerpuff Girls were NEVER meant to be live action in the first place. It has that Hanna Barbara inspired style, but it was a lot more different than any other Hanna Barbara cartoon. So the fact they had to bring that style into live-action really doesn't make any sense.

It also doesn't help that it was gonna be done by the same people who did Riverdale, which is another show that was based off of a classic property, and even that turn into some angsty drama crap as well.

I was really concerned about this because we'd been burned before with PPG 2016, and now CW is gonna to do the same thing again with the live-action reboot. I would be cringing so hard if they focus too much on the dark and edgy stuff and completely missed the point on what made PPG so great. Then again, I would be cringing if they focus too much on the lighthearted-ness and not enough times when it need to get serious, like PPG 2016.

What made PPG 1998 so great, is that they had a good balance between serious and humor. Plus, it has a lot of heart to it. So the fact that this live-action reboot is gonna be dark and broody like Riverdale is really disgusting to me.

Now, don't get me wrong, from a business perspective, Powerpuff Girls is a very popular and lucrative franchise. So of course, they had to make more PPG content like this and more merchandise. It make sense. I get that. However, as someone who loved PPG throughout my life, this decision come across as very desperate as Warner Bros trying so hard to cash in on PPG and squeezing a bit of money that they had even though there's not a lot you can do with PPG since a lot of people moved on from it after the 2016 reboot got cancelled.

Personally for me, I think CW should just cancelled it completely because there is no point to keep it around anymore. A lot of people from the original series and the reboot moved on to do other projects, especially Craig McCracken since he is working on Kid Cosmic for Netflix. Not to mention, since we're in the middle of this epidemic, I don't think it's safe to film the reboot, either. I think WB should focus on other franchises like Looney Tunes and Animaniacs because they made a great comeback recently and a lot of people love them. So I think they should focus on that as opposed to PPG.

So that's my take on it.

I respect her decision on that. :)

glennbyrnes

I know I'm pretty late on this hot topic, but I want to get this off of my chest.

I really don't know why any executives at The CW thought it would be a good idea to reboot a beloved classic Cartoon Network series(AGAIN) into to some angsty drama crap.

When I first heard about this news on Twitter, I was pissed because I thought turning PPG into live-action is one of the most ass-backwards decisions I ever heard in my life. The Powerpuff Girls were NEVER meant to be live action in the first place. It has that Hanna Barbara inspired style, but it was a lot more different than any other Hanna Barbara cartoon. So the fact they had to bring that style into live-action really doesn't make any sense.

It also doesn't help that it was gonna be done by the same people who did Riverdale, which is another show that was based off of a classic property, and even that turn into some angsty drama crap as well.

I was really concerned about this because we'd been burned before with PPG 2016, and now CW is gonna to do the same thing again with the live-action reboot. I would be cringing so hard if they focus too much on the dark and edgy stuff and completely missed the point on what made PPG so great. Then again, I would be cringing if they focus too much on the lighthearted-ness and not enough times when it need to get serious, like PPG 2016.

What made PPG 1998 so great, is that they had a good balance between serious and humor. Plus, it has a lot of heart to it. So the fact that this live-action reboot is gonna be dark and broody like Riverdale is really disgusting to me.

Now, don't get me wrong, from a business perspective, Powerpuff Girls is a very popular and lucrative franchise. So of course, they had to make more PPG content like this and more merchandise. It make sense. I get that. However, as someone who loved PPG throughout my life, this decision come across as very desperate as Warner Bros trying so hard to cash in on PPG and squeezing a bit of money that they had even though there's not a lot you can do with PPG since a lot of people moved on from it after the 2016 reboot got cancelled.

Personally for me, I think CW should just cancelled it completely because there is no point to keep it around anymore. A lot of people from the original series and the reboot moved on to do other projects, especially Craig McCracken since he is working on Kid Cosmic for Netflix. Not to mention, since we're in the middle of this epidemic, I don't think it's safe to film the reboot, either. I think WB should focus on other franchises like Looney Tunes and Animaniacs because they made a great comeback recently and a lot of people love them. So I think they should focus on that as opposed to PPG.

So that's my take on it.

I respect her decision on that. :)
They keep it around because its too iconic to end.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

I don't really think this has her blessing as much as her not wanting to cause a negative ruckus and is just using this an excuse to try and get some attention to promote her new single. I don't want to sound rude or anything but the PPG that E.G Daly mentions in that interview are NOT the ones that the CW synopsis of the show is about so she isn't even really talking about this series but rather the franchise as a whole and wanting it to continue on, not about whatever CW is trying to do to it. Since yeah as E.G Daly still does work as VA she does have to generally play nice unlike say Nate Ruegger who due to not really having any ties to larger franchises and that community as a hole had nothing to loose by razzing people and making bitter tweets about the Animaniacs creative staff from the original not being hired for the reboot. I also have a feeling after the original VAs shared disappointment in not coming back for the 2016 show they were told not do that again here which to be fair since it's live action they'd have no involvement in regardless. So I don't know if this so much giving a blessing as much as choosing not to make a fuss about it, like what Frontier pointed out.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

So, Mick Wingert is currently following me on Twitter. That's pretty cool.
CNC
I'm gonna be taking a break from Twitter for 1 whole week. It's too hard for me to talk about.
You know at this point I'm just going to say the Wonder Park series is probably shelved and would never see the light of day.

The movie was greenlit at a time when Paramount and Nick had different management and by the time the movie was released and bombed the previous execs weren't there anymore.
The Animaniacs reboot came and still no new Yakko's World. How would you change the lyrics?
'Toy Story' was released 25 years ago today. Now, compare the animation of that to 'Toy Story 4'. Mind blowing.