Powerpuff Girls Live Action CW Series In Development

SweetShop209

There's a live action Powerpuff Girls series being made for The CW. It mentions the girls being in their 20s, losing their childhood to crime fighting, and being darker and edgier.

If the backlash towards Powerpuff Girls 2016 was bad, I'm pretty sure this will exceed it.

stephane dumas

There's a live action Powerpuff Girls series being made for The CW. It mentions the girls being in their 20s, losing their childhood to crime fighting, and being darker and edgier.

If the backlash towards Powerpuff Girls 2016 was bad, I'm pretty sure this will exceed it.

To see how the live-action adaptations of Avatar, Fairly Oddparents and Kim Possible was received should tell them something...

5YearsOnEastCoast

EgNYQDWWoAAZnkE.jpg

Rule 34 of PowerPuff Girls is going to blew up soon isn't it.

On the more serious note, how are they going to translate in live action without a huge backlash. I don't want it to be Riverdale: PowerPuff Girls Edition.
To see how the live-action adaptations of Avatar, Fairly Oddparents and Kim Possible was received should tell them something...
Not to mention Teen Titans. Because it went so well...

Light Lucario

Staff member
I honestly don't know why they chose this series out of all of them to give the live action treatment. I guess CW wanted another superhero series without being another DC title, but this just seems so weird. Why make the Powerpuff Girls, where the main gimmick is that it's about a group of small girls beating up villains and monsters with super powers, into disillusioned twenty somethings who regret losing their childhoods? Powerpuff Girls isn't something that would translate to live action even if they kept the same premise, but aging them up sounds so ridiculous. At least Riverdale is still about teenagers, even though no one in the cast actually looks like they're in high school.

A part of me would be surprised if it even gets off the ground, but another part of me wouldn't since the CW is kind of infamous at this point for making ridiculous shows like this.

TheCartoonRailfan

Where's my senior discount?
I feel like it might be that 2000's nostalgia coming into play since the series was wildly popular during the first half of the decade. As much as I loved watching the Powerpuff Girls back in the day, I would rather see something completely original and have the franchise left alone.

For some reason, it sounds vaguely similar to the Mad parody, Two Broke Powerpuff Girls.

RainbowCupcake

Finish your dessert and like it!!!
I never liked the idea of taking a kid's show, rebooting it (whether it's live action or not), and making it "edgy" and "mature." The original show was meant for kids, so... shouldn't the reboot be for young audiences as well?

Anyway, this is definitely...not my thing. I know there will be an audience for it, but I'm just not going to be into the PowerPuff Girls having sex and dropping f-bombs. I understand that the original premise for the series was meant to be for adults and teens, but this...is a whole other monster.

I would love to know what Craig McCracken thinks of this, although something tells me we'll find out sooner rather than later.

You're not wrong.

5YearsOnEastCoast

Anyway, this is definitely...not my thing. I know there will be an audience for it, but I'm just not going to be into the PowerPuff Girls having sex and dropping f-bombs. I understand that the original premise for the series was meant to be for adults and teens, but this...is a whole other monster.

I would love to know what Craig McCracken thinks of this, although something tells me we'll find out sooner rather than later.

You're not wrong.
Once I see that (which is likely going to happen), I will never unseen it.

LinusFan303

A fan of Peanuts in their 70th year
Good thing they haven't tapped into the ViacomCBS part of the CW and made dark edgy live -action nicktoons. (this is playing with fate)

I did watch Riverdale for for the first two seasons then gave up . I am not really outraged about this being an idea, more laughing that some madmen had this as an idea and a network is considering it, to be fair, the CW would be the network that would even go for it.

PF9

I'd be more interested in Berlanti - engineered live action adaptations of Scooby-Doo! (aired on the CW, and set in the same universe as, and occasionally crossing over with, Riverdale), Jonny Quest (also on the CW, which would serve as a sequel to the proposed live-action film, and eventually cross over with CBS' MacGyver which would set the live action Quest works in the Bellisarioverse), and for HBOmax, live-action reboots of numerous other H-B action cartoons, with the intention of setting them within the DC TV multiverse.

A non-Hanna-Barbera reboot I could see Berlanti doing is Dark Shadows.

TheCartoonRailfan

Where's my senior discount?
I also remember the anime version (Powerpuff Girls Z), which was completely different from the original and never received much recognition. I highly doubt we will have more reboots in anime style.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I never liked the idea of taking a kid's show, rebooting it (whether it's live action or not), and making it "edgy" and "mature." The original show was meant for kids, so... shouldn't the reboot be for young audiences as well?

That's basically what they did for the first reboot back in 2016. I don't know how well its later seasons were received, but I assume that it never had the same appeal and success as the original series did. I have no idea why they're marketing this towards adults though. Sure, plenty of the people who watched the original series would be adults now, but that doesn't mean that they'd want to see childhood cartoon characters turned into disillusioned adults.

Putting aside how this series doesn't translate into live action for a moment, that's just so needlessly depressing. We don't know the full premise yet, but why would I want to see characters who were generally upbeat as kids become unhappy adults? The more I think about this, the more it does sound like it's a parody rather than an actual series.

harry580

oh no with viacomcbs owning half of cw, i worry live action rocket power series is possible

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

feels like we're getting flashbacks to AOL Time Warner again.
Marcello Prods wrote on KristofLaszlo99's profile.
Welcome, Mr. Tiririririririri
TV2C Schedule
23.00 : American Dad! (AP)
00.00 : Futurama (AP)
01.00 : The Cleveland Show (AP)
02.00 : The Simpsons (AP)
Happy birthday Ashlyn Selich.

TV2 Comedy is almost 1 year old this year!
Ibid: Tomorrow is the day on which Humor + was replaced by TV2 Comedy 1 year ago.

Featured Posts