"Powerpuff Girls (2016 Series)" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
powerpuff.jpg

‘The Powerpuff Girls’ to Return with New Series in 2016 | Variety

That special earlier in the must have really lit a fire under the Network. No further info at this time, but i'm sure everyone will be watching for more info as it comes.

The Talon

If Craig McCracken & Lauren Faust were coming back to make this, I'd be excited but.....meh. I just can't really think of any cartoons that got revived that managed to be as good as the original.

Sparkster24

Well.. this is certainly unexpected. I'm a little surprised that they're airing the PPG as a new series. I'm guessing it'll be like the Special though.. which is concerning. But it's nice that they're giving an attempt on girl-centric content on CN (or it'll be on Boomerang, considering the changes lately).

Monte

Eh... i'll give it a chance when it comes back but i'm not gonna get excited about it. The special they aired earlier this year did nothing for me; it felt more like a pale imitation than a return to form. Just think there's a good chance it'll end up like Xiaolin Chronicles; it will look the same, but it won't be the same. On the plus side, atleast this would mean that CN is actually trying out another show that has girl's as the main characters... they could use more of those.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Just finished writing up an article summing up what we know on Toonzone, which admittedly isn't too much yet. No details on creative staff or the animation style seem to be confirmed AFAIK, and with the show targeted for 2016 it may be awhile before we know more. But, we'll see what happens.

New "The Powerpuff Girls" TV Series Announced for Cartoon Network - Toon Zone News

I think it's about time. The enduring popularity of this thing is obvious, and Cartoon Network has really had no answer to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic these past few years - until right now.

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
Huh. That's a bit of a long wait. I'm not into the show being a reboot of one of Cartoon Network's old shows. This new show might not be up to par with its predecessor. If it was an original show and not a reboot, I'd be more interested.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I can't get excited about this. The Dance Pants Revolution special didn't do anything for me, and I'd be more enthusiastic about an original series coming than a revival of an old one. Post cancellation revivals tend to not be very good.

If Craig McCracken, Lauren Faust and/or Genndy Tartakofsky are involved with the production, then maybe a new PPG will be worth a look, but otherwise, I'm not excited.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
One thing to keep in mind.....it's true Cartoon Network doesn't seem to have the original key staff around. Who *do* they have right now? Rebecca Sugar.

Just saying.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
It's good that Cartoon Network hasn't forgotten about their biggest cash cow to date, and that they're actually willing to take another shot at a cartoon, and a superhero cartoon at that, starring girls, but that's where my enthusiasm for this ends. Post-cancellation revivals don't have an impressive track record for me outside of MST3K and Futurama, I didn't really dig either of the 2 post-series PPG specials, the original creators and writers aren't involved (yeah, CN has Rebecca Sugar now, but that's not a selling point for me since I'm not a Steven Universe fan) and I'm just as into Powerpuff Girls as I once was.

I might look at the first couple of episodes out of curiosity, but I probably won't watching this regularly.

ILDC

Well.. this is certainly unexpected. I'm a little surprised that they're airing the PPG as a new series. I'm guessing it'll be like the Special though.. which is concerning. But it's nice that they're giving an attempt on girl-centric content on CN (or it'll be on Boomerang, considering the changes lately).
There's a few Kidscreen articles that confirm SU was greenlit in hopes of attracting a female audience (while still appealing to boys).

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'm kind of surprised that they're rebooting PPG. I'm not that excited about it myself due to the special, but I'll give it a chance at least when it first airs.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I found the first PPG special (from 2008) hilarious, but the second one was pretty lame. So nope, I'm not excited either...

Dynamite Soldier

Good to see that CN is still showing interest in shows that star female protagonists. With a Powerpuff Girls revival, Steven Universe and Adventure Time, it seems that CN is trying to go back to its roots and try to attract general audiences again (well, Boomerang is said to target girls (as well as families and preschoolers) for its upcoming rebrand as opposite to the current CN, so maybe that could change since Stuart is gone).

As for a new PPG series, I'm not really that excited for it. Revivals don't tend to be good as the originals. Remember when CN revive Dexter's Lab back in 2001 without Genndy's involvement and how people complained about its new quality? Hopefully that doesn't happen to PPG and that Craig McCracken, Lauren Faust and/or Genndy Tartakofsky will be back. Then, I'll be really excited. Otherwise, I'm not really crazy about this (even if this means bringing back an old classic from the 90s).

szjdfgs

This new turn of events could go incredibly well or horribly wrong depending on what the consensus was regarding "Dance Pantsed".
We'll see.

Dr.Pepper

I was never a huge PPG fan to begin with. It was something I would only watch if I had nothing better to do. I doubt I would be watching this much. I also am skeptical that it would be anywhere near as good as the original, as revivals seldom are.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Yeah don't care about this for a lot of reason mostly because I think PPG had a good run and finally rest in piece but when you try to revive a dead franchise its gonna look damaged beyond recognition. PPG lasted for 7 years so I think its time to let it die

IcyTea

Well I can see why they are reviving some shows, Billy and Mindy MIGHT be revived if Maxwell Atoms is interested in doing that, John Dilworth is really hyped and wants Courage to be revived too. PPG might do well if they do the same animation style. Even if its different, if people dislike any of these revivals, I can blame the 90s kids for their constant yelling for their 90s shows to be revived.

Regardless if they are just asking for reruns of their old shows.

Lanmanna

Well I can see why they are reviving some shows, Billy and Mindy MIGHT be revived if Maxwell Atoms is interested in doing that, John Dilworth is really hyped and wants Courage to be revived too. PPG might do well if they do the same animation style. Even if its different, if people dislike any of these revivals, I can blame the 90s kids for their constant yelling for their 90s shows to be revived. Regardless if they are just asking for reruns of their old shows.
Even if they're reruns, 90s nostalgia fans STILL complain.

SF4Ever

Just finished writing up an article summing up what we know on Toonzone, which admittedly isn't too much yet. No details on creative staff or the animation style seem to be confirmed AFAIK, and with the show targeted for 2016 it may be awhile before we know more. But, we'll see what happens.

New "The Powerpuff Girls" TV Series Announced for Cartoon Network - Toon Zone News

I think it's about time. The enduring popularity of this thing is obvious, and Cartoon Network has really had no answer to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic these past few years - until right now.

It's starting to look like Cartoon Network is beginning to change programming gears and that's exactly what needs to be done. Good to see the revival of The Powerpuff Girls, but still, I'd like to see more in terms of originality and not just revivals. I'd also like to see CN bring Totally Spies back to U.S. airwaves. Let's also remember, Cartoon Network will have new leadership and in line with that, going back to the basics of programming for all audiences, not just boys. There are girls that watch CN and would like to see more programming that caters to them, demographically- well, it's starting to take shape, but it will take time to come into fruition and there are other female-centric animated properties that CN can look into, as well. This is just a beginning to what's to come, in the future.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Certain elements of that special felt rather....off. Most notably, Mojo Jojo seemed out of character, with a goal of stealing Chemical X from Professor Utonium instead of just taking over Townsville. Why didn't he just find a prison toilet like last time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/

Featured Posts