"Powerpuff Girls (2016 Series)" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

JTOONSAnimation

Jul 24, 2016
The Powerpuff Girls "Safe Steps Kids: It's A Fire!"

Is it just me or are the Powerpuff Girls the last characters who should be making safety PSA's? The amount of damage and mayhem they get up to leads me to think fire safety would be better handled by people who don't leave their town a smoking ruin every week. **.
I agree, if anything they could've used the Bears or Craig. Besides I'm sure any kid watching it knows the girls have superpowers (and Blossom has ice breath), plus I'm pretty sure they can withstand fire too, but yeah literally any other current CN show could've worked better.

Reactions: Fone Bone

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

Oct 11, 2016
While it is more popular overseas, CN US still often presents the show as some of sort of poster child for girl power on social media.
Which is funny considering that the Powerpuff Girls in this reboot are some of the most useless heroes in fiction and I can't imagine any kid looking up for them. There are tons of episodes where either all, or at least 2 of them (mostly Bubbles and Blossom) are in trouble and in need of help.

thomas2313412

Nov 9, 2011
While it is more popular overseas, CN US still often presents the show as some of sort of poster child for girl power on social media.
Well yeah,It maybe popular outside the US but not the US country.Cartoon network will likely cancel the show this year and not renewing for season 4 and one doubt any confirmation if the show is cancelled and when will the final episodes air?

thomas2313412

Nov 9, 2011
You know that news about that upcoming phone game based on the 2016 version called 'Powerpuff Girls: Monkey Mania' which you can find out from this blog here : 'The Powerpuff Girls: Monkey Mania' Breaks Through on Android and iOS Devices This Year

This made me wonder ,Do you think this could be a sign that the series is renewed for a fourth season ?

Because even though this series is not popular in the United states,It is popular overseas

Because cartoon network decided that the powerpuff girls is considered their 'cash cow' franchise or in this case a 'merchandise franchise' marketed for girls .

And maybe because if the reboot is cancelled this year (possibly) then they will still market the franchise anyway with the classic skin and mix with classic and reboot lore or at least the classic version unless they would reboot it again 3 year later or so similar to scooby doo and tom and jerry.

JTOONSAnimation

Jul 24, 2016
You know that news about that upcoming phone game based on the 2016 version called 'Powerpuff Girls: Monkey Mania' which you can find out from this blog here : 'The Powerpuff Girls: Monkey Mania' Breaks Through on Android and iOS Devices This Year

This made me wonder ,Do you think this could be a sign that the series is renewed for a fourth season ?

Because even though this series is not popular in the United states,It is popular overseas

Because cartoon network decided that the powerpuff girls is considered their 'cash cow' franchise or in this case a 'merchandise franchise' marketed for girls .

And maybe because if the reboot is cancelled this year (possibly) then they will still market the franchise anyway with the classic skin and mix with classic and reboot lore or at least the classic version unless they would reboot it again 3 year later or so similar to scooby doo and tom and jerry.
I don't think that means a renewal, even when the original series ended, lots of merchandise and media was released afterwards

Reactions: thomas2313412

thomas2313412

Nov 9, 2011
I don't think that means a renewal, even when the original series ended, lots of merchandise and media was released afterwards
I guess you are probably right so if the reboot is cancelled this year, the merchandise will be ongoing but will later be reskinned in classic form unless the franchise will once again be rebooted in about 3 years or so.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
It's impressive how so many people keep saying "popular overseas", but no one manages to be more specific. As if it doesn't matter where it's popular, we're just going to assume that it's popular SOMEWHERE.

I feel like PPG is more like Snoopy, Superman or Garfield at this point. People buy its merchandise, but many don't care that much about the cartoon/movies/comics itself.

As far as I can tell, Gumball, TTG, Ben 10 and We Bare Bears are really popular "elsewhere". If PPG gets yet another season, it will be because of toys, not because of international appeal.

I know the press releases once did say international appeal etc. But that's just PR nonsense.

Reactions: Francisque

BlooMac

Mar 2, 2009
Bulgaria
I think part of the reason why it airs more on international feeds is that they don't care as much about ratings as CN US. Airing the show more gives more "promotion" to the merchandise.

thomas2313412

Nov 9, 2011
I feel like PPG is more like Snoopy, Superman or Garfield at this point. People buy its merchandise, but many don't care that much about the cartoon/movies/comics itself.
Yeah, because like them I looked at the merchandise which is great but I didn't watch its source material like its show for example. Just like the time I was impressed with sabans masked rider toys a long time ago but I didn't watch the show

As far as I can tell, Gumball, TTG, Ben 10 and We Bare Bears are really popular "elsewhere".
True

If PPG gets yet another season, it will be because of toys, not because of international appeal.
Yeah,seems likely but how are the toy sales and will it help renew the series for the fourth season ?

I think part of the reason why it airs more on international feeds is that they don't care as much about ratings as CN US. Airing the show more gives more "promotion" to the merchandise.
Yeah I think I agree

By the way I have something to say which is puzzling when Ben 10 was rebooted in 2016 a year after the classic continuity has ended ,critics and older fans have mixed opinions about the show but younger people liked it despite that it a 10- minute short like modern cartoon network shows that you can see on this channel ,This made them buy the merchandise of the reboot that the show is renewed for more seasons such as the upcoming fourth season in 2020 for example.

Do you think the similar thing will happen to the PPG 2016 series and will this process help the show renew for the fourth season ?

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
How is this possible, considering that one of my local malls has a PPG event?
That event is to sell toys, isn't it? : O

Don't forget that ads and campaigns/events try to make things look popular. That doesn't mean they actually are. PPG is definitely the least popular CN cartoon in Portugal. (not counting something like Apple & Onion, which so far only has 6 episodes so it can't rerun forever) If it were popular, they would air it...

CN PT's schedule still has room for Uncle Grandpa. I'd say that's one of the more popular cartoons in Portugal. It used to air a lot. Most other countries have ditched it already.

Do you think the similar thing will happen to the PPG 2016 series and will this process help the show renew for the fourth season ?
Steve Hulett said in February that OKKO and PPG were ending. He was right about OKKO, so expect PPG to end after season 3 or 4.

thomas2313412

Nov 9, 2011
Steve Hulett said in February that OKKO and PPG were ending. He was right about OKKO, so expect PPG to end after season 3 or 4.
Yeah,I already heard about OK KO which means that the third season will be its last and that the series finale will likely be entitled "Fight to the end" according to the TCM archives and you have a good point about the fate of PPG 2016 ,so let's wait for the official confirmation on its fate.

Keep in mind that shows can quietly end without an announcement. This was the case for a lot of shows before creators were easily reachable on social media.
Hmm,that seems likely

Last edited: