"Power Rangers Beast Morphers" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

veemonjosh

Bites the Dust
Sep 30, 2005
The Grid

Episode 4 - "Digital Deception"
Air Date: March 30th, 2019

Ravi is shocked when the evil Roxy comes to his rescue and wonders if there may still be good left in her.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Power Rangers: Beast Morphers "Digital Deception"

That was totally not terrible. Human villains. That is the key.

For the record, the slapstick on this show still sucks. ***1/2.

Reactions: Terror of Death

Scrappy-Fan92

Aug 18, 2011
United States of America
Episodes 3 and 4 were fine. Not sure how Nate gets put through the wringer for merely opting to get some fresh air, but Ravi steals tech (with no security crew taking notice; I'm just going to assume Ben and Betty were on duty that day) and seemingly suffers no consequences for it. I do hope they lengthen the intro and add the other main characters in soon.

Terror of Death

Aug 1, 2007
US
I think I'm finally done with watching Power Rangers. While Beast Morphers so far seems like a step up from the neo Saban era seasons it still shares a lot of the same flaws. Overacting, stilted dialogue, cheap looking cgi and outdated humor. I know Disney and original Saban had plenty of that as well but it's a lot harder to ignore those issues in 2019. Television has evolved immensely in the last decade but most live action kids programming still feels like it's stuck in the past.

Reactions: Fone Bone

veemonjosh

Bites the Dust
Sep 30, 2005
The Grid

Episode 5 - "Taking Care of Business"
Air Date: April 6th, 2019

Devon finds it difficult to balance a new job he took to impress his dad and the duties of being the Red Power Ranger.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
I think I'm finally done with watching Power Rangers. While Beast Morphers so far seems like a step up from the neo Saban era seasons it still shares a lot of the same flaws. Overacting, stilted dialogue, cheap looking cgi and outdated humor. I know Disney and original Saban had plenty of that as well but it's a lot harder to ignore those issues in 2019. Television has evolved immensely in the last decade but most live action kids programming still feels like it's stuck in the past.
This is accurate. The franchise should be better than it is at this point. That being said, I liked this week's episode.

Power Rangers: Beast Morphers "Taking Care Of Business"

You know what? As corny as the idea is that Devon's dad IS proud of him, and simply doesn't know it yet is, it's also really cool. It is a bittersweet ending I can really get behind. This show doesn't do that very often.

The visual of being stuck in a giant hand, would not have even been attempted even five years ago. It's amazing that the kinds of visuals you used to only be able to see in movies like Jurassic Park, can now be done on the cheap for trashy kidcoms. What a world.

For the record, the Dogotron reminded me distressingly of a sex gimp. I'm surprised nobody handed Nathan a badass Samurai Sword to kill it.

The was an average episode by most metrics, but I really felt the last line, and thought it made the episode cool. In reality, as far as good television is concerned, it doesn't actually take all that much. It's amazing TV is usually as bad as it is. ****.

veemonjosh

Bites the Dust
Sep 30, 2005
The Grid

Episode 6 - "Hangar Heist"
Air Date: April 13th, 2019

Nate develops a new technology from a captured Gigadrone and Devon struggles with fully trusting his team.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Power Rangers: Beast Morphers "Hangar Heist"

Didn't like that. I felt the conflict between the Rangers was beyond forced and there was no reality behind it. I doubt even the most antisocial of toddlers would recognize themselves in Devon's crazy snit.

Also, this has always been a problem for this season but it's stark enough here to finally comment on: A large part of the comic relief of the season is watching the fat kid try to run and always falling down. It's fat-shaming. Full stop. Believe it or not I can excuse fat-shaming on shows for adults. It's realistic. There is a lot of shame society attaches to that. But it certainly is inappropriate on a kids show, especially in 2019.

Poor episode. **.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
So from what I can see, this show is a loose, but nevertheless direct adaptation of Go-Busters. As I mentioned before, "Morph-X" is this show's version of Enetron. Some parts were rewritten to be less tragic (at least at this point), namely the parts about "digital avatars". Evox seems to be this show's version of "Messiah", with Enter and Escape being rewritten as those original Red and Yellow rangers being unconscious with their digital avatars being evil. In the original show, their morphers say various phrases, including "It's Morphin' Time!" (yes, even in the original show), but it looks like their morphers don't talk at all in Beast Morphers.

Anyway, I don't think this is a bad thing at all. Wild Force got criticized by some for being a "copy" of Gaorangers, which I don't really think is fair since the franchise is a Japanese creation either way, with Haim Saban simply adapting it for the U.S. by combining new footage with U.S. (or New Zealand) actors with the fight scenes from the original Japanese version (which are sometimes recreated in their too violent).

At any rate, I am liking this show so far, and even though Hasbro Stu..., er "Allspark Pictures" is producing it now, I don't think there's anything to worry about since "SCG Power Rangers" (who technically still own the franchise) are technically the executive producers.

veemonjosh

Bites the Dust
Sep 30, 2005
The Grid

Episode 7 - "A Friend Indeed"
Air Date: April 20th, 2019

Evox targets the Beast Bots to stop the Beast Morphers Rangers from forming their Megazord.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
Now, this is how you teach a moral lesson: teaching by example. In other words, show what the main characters end up doing, even though they're well meaning, have them see what happens as a result, instead of getting punished for it, then have them come to the conclusion that they made a mistake, and realize they made a mistake, and have them do something about it, without the episode escalating the problem just to prove "a" point, let alone the same one (e.g., having them try to make up for their mistake only to either make another, or make the existing one even worse, and in both cases, THEN have them get punished for it). This episode also avoids making take backs (i.e., saying one thing, but then either saying something else, or just taking back what was previously said), and generally avoids manipulating the viewers in some way (which I'm sorry to say is something the Super Sentai series has done in some shows, but that's another story). If the whole "taking their beast bots for granted" thing had been near the end of the episode with their commanding officer suspending them from duty for not "protecting" the beast bots (especially since it was something they literally had no control over), that would not have been a good thing, especially if the rangers had tried to argue their case, only to be punished even more/further for "insubordination" (i.e., "backtalk"). That would have been preaching to the viewers, as well as making them (to) feel as though they don't know any better, or are otherwise too stupid to learn by example. As for how much it would have affected this show (or even the franchise), that I can't really say, especially since this is the Power Rangers (and to a degree, Super Sentai) we're talking about. Still it would have been a bad thing if they didn't make this episode the way they had.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Power Rangers: Beast Morphers "A Friend Indeed"

Sniff sniff! Robots have feelings too!

Do you know what I like? These Rangers are jerks. Granted, they're jerks in the way toddlers are jerks rather than the way teenagers are jerks, but at least they're jerks. Every other iteration has Rangers that are bland, inoffensive, saintly Boy-Scouts. The "Teenagers with attitude" thing from the original show was the biggest pile of b.s. the series ever sold us. I like that I think these kids are stupid and insensitive. It makes them more interesting as characters. Granted, since there isn't much reality in their misbehavior, it doesn't make them THAT interesting, but it's a pretty low bar anyways.

Ben and Beth are the last two people I'd want to see pop out of cakes.

That was totally stupid, and I am deeply ashamed I enjoyed it. ***1/2.

veemonjosh

Bites the Dust
Sep 30, 2005
The Grid

Episode 8 - "The Cybergate Opens"
Air Date: April 27th, 2019

Scrozzle executes his plan to finally free Evox from the Cyber Dimension and the Beast Morphers Rangers, along with an unexpected friend, must do everything in their power to stop him.

And with that, Beast Morphers has reached its midseason finale. Thankfully due to the later start time of this season this time around it won't be as brutal as past years, but it still won't be back for probably about four months. So see you back here in August!

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Power Rangers: Beast Morphers "The Cybergate Opens"

The rest of the episode wasn't terrible but the idea that Nate thinks having a robot for a brother is adequate is totally lame. The idea that he wanted one was also badly set up and felt a bit forced.

One thing I like was Ben and Betty being apologetic for losing the tracker while being too dumb to realize it was a good thing it was on the enemies' truck. Those two are such dopes.

All right. ***.