Potential Future B:TAS/DCAU Projects - News and Speculation Thread

iammattie

Personally I think Bruce Timm is either overthinking things or underthinking things. But his unsureness has to do with the fact that there have been several DCAU projects that he had nothing to do with that are considered DCAU canon. But the reason they are considered canon is because the producers of those projects did everything in their power to make them fit. If the same is true for Batman and Harley Quinn (and it doesn't actually contradict much if anything from the canon) than that's good enough. It's not simply that DC holds actual power over which canon is official. But the official stuff is by creators who went out of their way to make it fit.

100% this. Timm has had a couple instances where he was more solid with whether its canon or not. "it was just an excuse to kind of go back to the BTAS world" or "I personally kind of think of it as a continuation of Batman: The Animated Series, and the DC Animated Universe", but people keep pointing to the ones where he was a bit more iffy about it. Even then, he adds the caveat that he's "not actually in control of what’s in continuity and what isn’t" basically implying that's up to corporate to decide.

WB billed the movie as "Bruce Timm returns to his Batman: The Animated Series roots." DC has the film as a Batman: the Animated Series movie on their website, and on the back of the trade collection of the movies tie-in comics theres a blurb that says "Head back to the universe of Batman: The Animated Series in Batman and Harley Quinn". So it seems very clear where WB/DC stands on its canonicity.

#TeamMike

100% this. Timm has had a couple instances where he was more solid with whether its canon or not. "it was just an excuse to kind of go back to the BTAS world" or "I personally kind of think of it as a continuation of Batman: The Animated Series, and the DC Animated Universe", but people keep pointing to the ones where he was a bit more iffy about it. Even then, he adds the caveat that he's "not actually in control of what’s in continuity and what isn’t" basically implying that's up to corporate to decide.

WB billed the movie as "Bruce Timm returns to his Batman: The Animated Series roots." DC has the film as a Batman: the Animated Series movie on their website, and on the back of the trade collection of the movies tie-in comics theres a blurb that says "Head back to the universe of Batman: The Animated Series in Batman and Harley Quinn". So it seems very clear where WB/DC stands on its canonicity.

I checked the website Wikipedia linked, and it doesn't say that anywhere. I think it's wrong and someone should probably fix the wiki.

Here is what co-writer Jim Crieg said.

So it isn't really canon, just has some similarities. I see it as a parallel universe type thing, kind of like Braniac Attacks.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It's funny, for a long time I wanted more of the Beyond era to be explored but after Gods and Monsters came out - I wanted to see more that especially after all the tidbits they threw out for Chronicles season 2 before it got benched.

So it isn't really canon, just has some similarities. I see it as a parallel universe type thing, kind of like Braniac Attacks.
Statements on company websites or back covers are more of a marketing department standpoint, imo, than a company caring about the nitty gritty of continuity. Yeah, I also consider things like "Superman: Brainiac Attacks", "Justice League: Gods and Monsters", and "Batman and Harley Quinn" that closely follow Bruce Timm's design aesthetic to be parallel universes to the DCAU like Brave New Metropolis on S:TAS, the Justice Guild or Justice Lords from JL.

dmxx116

It looks like Tim Daly is ready to come back and voice Superman in the DCAU:

Between Daly and Newbern as much as I like Newbern in that role I’m going to have to go with Daly as the voice of Superman.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
It looks like Tim Daly is ready to come back and voice Superman in the DCAU:

Between Daly and Newbern as much as like Newbern in that role I’m going to have to go with Daly as voice of Superman.
It always feels like they just tradeoff when it comes to Daly and Newbern :p.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts