Post your reviews: Adult Swim Action (5/25/02)

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Killtacular

the race wars had begun
Sep 23, 2001
Ratings
1 1
a
We don't really know if the first episode's re-editted. It's a possibility.

But I'm not really expecting much at this point.

I will get to updating the site soon, folks. First and foremost, adding those darned PHP episode review thingies. And then..other stuff, maybe.

Ravenger

Bringer of the New Revolution
Jan 30, 2002
TTC Maverick
www.dark-revelation.com
Adult Swim Action Review (5/25/02)
By: Ravenger(ravenger@dark-revelation.com)

Actually got some site updates done.. reviews
sounds... its all good. But as for my Adult
Swim Review.. some will be reruns but most will
be some of the new stuff. Didn't get to start a thread
of reviews this week oh well. ;) Keep on reading...
I'll keep on writing.

Beasts of Maze Castle

This episode starts slow but so don't many others that start a new part of the story. We have Yusuke coming back from Genki's with some new powers only to have to show them off when zombies attack. Oh.. and Kuwabara is there too. We now have Yusuke coming in to solve the mystery.... with Kuwabara. As they embark on the City of Ghosts and Aberisions... they come under attack only to be helped by Hiei and Kurama. This episode is just here to explain the story to come. Its not the most memorable... but still has some action and comedy... and a cliffhanger! So this is a nice episode that better defines the team. =) I love these previews.. "Oh we get out of that last thing... BUT CHECK OUT THE NEXT DANGER!"

Score: 9

Jupiter Jazz Pt.1

A nice slow, character developmenting episode. The key here... is all of our main characters get a little development between parts 1 and 2 so thats a good thing. The action is here.. fights are abound while Faye runs with Jet's loot and Spike searches for Julia and now Vicious. The action is fun but the real star is the character development and more info on Spikes past and Vicious. I like this episode because it doesn't need to impress everyone or make the episode a star with all blindless action plus some plot its all good. The 1337 action fans wouldn't be interested but the intellegent folks or otakus would be all over this one... its episodes like this that define Bebop and show us what kind of anime it truely is.. like I said last week.. something for everybody.

Score: 9

In Tune

Rav Rerun Review:
"We now come back to Pilot Candidate with our young candidate, Zero, who is stuck in the cockpit of a goddess. We have our nice Digimon sounding characters just slowing the story down along with our toothpick smoking instructor(stupidist dubs ever). Meanwhile, we have Zero having some crazy dreams inside the goddess. About half way though we do see some action as the Victim start to show up. Though the action doesn't really happen since they just show the endless start up sequence of the goddesses and try and get Zero out. Let's hope that this has "Bebop syndrome" and only the first few episodes are just slow. While the animation makes up the slack(actually it reminds me a lot of Zoids), the story is slightly sub-par along with the reason for being on the Adult Swim block. This has once again been the disappointment of the night." The things you see on the second time. Anyone notice that the candidate with the glasses kept giving the viewers the finger when he was shifting his glasses?

Score: 6

Gundam Jack

Rav Rerun Review:
"Gundam 0083 is typical Gundam so thats a good place to start. For those who didn't get to watch the end of Mobile Suit Gundam or Gundam 0080 which is a lot, the One Year War is over in this series and explains the lingering Zeon in this series. The first episode was sort of slow... but out of all of the Gundam series we've seen dubbed... none are really exciting off the bat. I was though happy to see some action leaving a cliffhanger and getting the story off to a good start."

Score: 8

Advance Guard from Another World

Decent episode.. clearly filler though. Good character development... not great but there. The episode revolves around the OS crew going around to find jobs to try and pay for the dock fees for the Outlaw Star.... except for Gene who gets bored and goes on a date. But the jobs Jim and Aisha get come together when a weird cactus looking thing starts controling people to buy ice cream. But has plans to rule the universe by controling people's minds. Of course Melfina isn't really a person so she stops this thing in short order. As for edits... not to many.. all of them would have been in for a true Adult Swim run. Oh well... thats just the way it is. I thought this episode is routine... June 8th's should be better.

Adult Swim Score: 7
Toonami Score: 8

No Need for Discussions

There is a good reason I put my Tenchi Universe banner instead of the Tenchi Muyo banner.. because this was indeed from Tenchi Universe. Good episode.. introduces Ryoko and Mihoshi to Tenchi and his family. Mihoshi's absolute brain deadness adds comedy to the episode(and series at large) unlike Tenchi In Tokyo where it is generally annoying. A minor thing... we got the Tenchi Muyo OAV 1 intro instead of Tenchi Universe's(which is kind of a let down but thats ok, we didn't get OAV 2's either.) The edits may have been small in numbers but thats because nothing needed editing... this would not be a good show for Adult Swim... if it were to be allowed to stay... but its not.. next week is no ASA and June 8th we get Mobile Suit Gundam. Not a long review because it doesn't need to be.

Adult Swim Score: 6
Toonami Score: 8

Heh... I kinda feel bad for leaving an incomplete review up after Adult Swim ended but at least it was just Outlaw Star and Tenchi. Now for my Bottom Line(not bad huh?)... anyone notice that there have been at least 17 ads for WWE and at least 23 for Snickers Cruncher. What does this mean!? Not a lot.. just that different ads air during Adult Swim Action then the rest of Cartoon Network. I like this fact... beats seeing the minute and a half ads for AOL which half the country has already, then seeing 30 seconds and less ads for WWE and Snickers. Oh well.. I like having a nice place to rant... besides my site and stuff. Thanks for coming back to read the rest. =)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark Spider

Moderator of Kiyone Love
Jan 6, 2002
The Yagami
Visit site
QUESTION:

Is Tenchi Universe gonna start up tonight despite not gonna having a full run?

I hope so, because I have the Tenchi Universe episodes taped with the Toonami openings and I'm thinking about taping over the first one so I can have the original opening instead...

Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
Okay now am mad. got to see Yu-Yu, but then the cable goes out in the middle of Cowboy Bebop!!! Someone cry for me, please :( :( :( I have seen this ep before but come on! this is a great ep!

Joe Tully

I want the toilet seat.
May 4, 2001
Massachusetts
www.geocities.com
Originally posted by Dark Spider
QUESTION:

I hope so, because I have the Tenchi Universe episodes taped with the Toonami openings and I'm thinking about taping over the first one so I can have the original opening instead...
The CN schedule lists "Tenchi Muyo: No Need for Discussions"

It's most likely they meant Tenchi Universe.

BTW the CN schedule is at http://alt.cartoonnetwork.com/Schedule/0,3671,CTN,00.html

It's a good site to have bookmarked. :)

OK This is my first time doing this, so don't hurt me, or I'll sic Hamtaro on ya (Just kidding!)

Cowboy Bebop - Jupiter Jazz Part I
MY Score: 10/10
Faye empties out the safe and leaves the Bebop without warning. When Ed is asked to find her on the SSN, one name comes up: Julia, coming from the Blue Crow on Callisto. Against Jet's protest, Spike brashly leaves to seek Julia. At a bar on Calisto, Faye meets a man with a saxophone player named Gren, and the 2 quickly get acquainted. In his search for Julia, Spike encounters gangsters who assume that Spike is Vicious. Enraged, Spike pulverizes the group. It seems that Gren is selling a cache of "red eye" to Vicious under Julia's name. It's Spike and Vicious' next encounter on the cold and snowy moon Calisto - how will it all end? (;)).

I loved Spike and Jet's exchange before Spike took off to find Julia. The ending always gets me, with Space Lion playing in the background. A great episode - can't wait to see Part II...again :)

Sheamon

Lost in the Undertow
Jan 6, 2002
Boston
www.escaflowneonline.com
Trying a new format tonight... :p

Yu Yu Hakusho
Episode 14: The Beasts of Maze Castle
Yusuke gets a new assignment, to yet again fight a bunch of demons, but this time in their home turf. However, this time instead of going at it alone, he has Kuwabara, Hiei and Kurama to back him up.
Review: Well considering that damn tournament is finally over you know it would automatically get some bonus points :rolleyes: This episode's a nice change, for the most part considering the show's been so boring the last month. No, it was nothing spectacular, then again the show never has been. Good points include the hilarious flashbacks to Yusuke's training and the first half of the ep being reminiscient of the early part of the series where Yusuke wasn't going out on wacky quests. If the episode has any shortcomings, its that the fact that Hiei and Kurama would join them was very predictable considering they're portrayed as good guys in the opening.
Grade: B
Next Week: Yusuke and the others fight a rock monster! Here's hoping it doesn't take the whole episode... :yawn:

Cowboy Bebop
Episode 12: Jupiter Jazz pt. 1
Both Jet and Spike go to the icy moon Callisto, although for different reasons. Jet goes to chase down Faye, who meets the mysterious man with boobs, Gren @_@ Spike thinks he's gonna find Julia but instead runs into Vicious.
Review: This episode (coupled with the second part) is beaten only in terms of quality by the finale. Although Bebop is so incredibly good with the stand alone episodes, in this humble fan's opinion, the 5 'main storyline' episodes are even better. And this one has everything you could want. Fleshing out of Vicious, whose only appeared once before this. Introductions to numerous important characters, including Gren, Lin and the Van. Our only look (along with part 2) at Vicious's version of the Bebop/Swordfish. Intense character development. Gotta love the interchange between Faye and Gren, a very powerful character insight that doesn't take the lazy route like Evangelion did so often. And as a bonus, for those like JTurner who hate Ed, you barely get to see her at all. Rather indifferent for me, while I like Ed, she has no place whatsoever in this kinda episode. And of course you have the powerful 'Space Lion' theme whose only equal is 'Blue' from the final episode.

Is there any flaws to the episode? Well, I suppose you could find some if you view it singularly. You really can't get the full effect without seeing the second part. Certainly the 'cliffhangar' is weak, and a large part of the episode is exposition. And of course, as usual, the second half of this 2 parter is the better one. Nevertheless, simply amazing in every way.
Grade: A+
Next Week: Julia information... Another Spike & Jet duel... 'Space Lion' in its full glory... What else could you ask for?

Pilot Candidate
Episode 1(2): In Tune
Zero is trapped in the Ingrid. He sees weird stuff. Nuff said.
Review: You know how I think about this show. I didn't even bother to watch it, spending the time to write my Bebop and YYH reviews instead. Thats all I have to say.
Grade: F
Next Week: Who cares?!

Gundam 0083
Episode 1: Gundam Jack
3 years after the One Year War, the Zeons launch Operation Stardust, which involves stealing a nuclear equipped Gundam prototype. Kou Uraki, a test pilot at the base where it's stolen steals another prototype to chase after the Gundam and Anavel Gato, the Zeon ace that stole it.
Review: Considering I already review this ep when it first aired, I'll be short. Pretty good intro episode, although like so many Gundam shows it takes a while for this series to really get going. One interesting(or awful depending on how you see it) thing I noticed was that Nina didn't notice that it was Gato who was stealing the Gundam, even though from what we find out at the end of the series, she knew him quite well.
Grade: B+
Next Week: A duel between the 2 Gundams results in one of the funniest quotes I've heard in a Gundam show... :p

Outlaw Star
Episode 13: Advance Guard From Another World
Jim, Aisha and Melfina do various work to make money while Gene goes out on a date. Various unusual circumstances involving a cactus soon occur though...
Review: Arguably the worst episode in the entire series, this one is probably best known as the 'cactus' one. A cactus as the bad guy?!!? C'mon!!! Probably the biggest problem with Outlaw Star other than the ending is that they waste so many episodes on stupid filler like this that could have been used so much more valuably to further develop the characters, or give us more info about the Space Forces/Pirates. Instead, we waste an episode on this crap. And of course in vein with the episode, my favorite of the main characters, Suzuka, barely appears. Very little worth watching here.
Grade: D+
Next Week: More filler nonscense, this time with mouse bombers...

*Assuming this is what they aired, I didn't watch it*
Tenchi Universe
Episode 1: No Need For Discussions
Tenchi meets 2 mysterious girls, Ryoko, a poor, innocent woman being chased by a mecha, which ends up being the hapless Mihoshi. Tenchi figures out the horrible truth, that Ryoko's the bad one and Mihoshi's the good, but it frankly doesn't make much of a difference.
Review: Since this is the final week of Tenchi on ASA, not much to go over. Tenchi Universe loses most of the appeal of the original until the end of the series. The introduction episodes at the beginning are very poor, and this is just one of six.
Grade: C
Next Week: n/a

Spike Mcdougal

The Legendary Outlaw
Jan 6, 2002
The Planet Gunsmoke
Visit site
Originally posted by Dark Spider
QUESTION:

The sad thing is. ASA will never get a dose of Kiyone and i will never have the full show taped!!!!

JTurner954

Paradigm City, USA
Jan 4, 2002
Ratings
Florida
Visit site
Yu Yu Hakusho: Ah, much better than last week. Kuwabara has more of a role now helping Useke and we see the return of Hiei and Kurama. Even though we know that they escape from the roof trap, I'd still like to see how they were able to. Great action ,intersting story, and Kuwabara is back to his usual self. Overall grade: A-

Cowboy Bebop: Good episode I guess. I wasn't into it too much because I don't understand this whole thing with Vicious and this woman that Spike is looking for. Edward wasn't on for long (I didn't find her funny here either, especially when she crashed her head onto Ein) so I was able to enjoy it. Overall grade: B

Sir Gatts

It's that big!
Jan 7, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Visit site
Yu Yu Hakusho: About a month passed in the timeline of this episode from the last after studying under Genkai. So once again we find our heros sent on another mission to fight some demons to save the living world from their destruction. Only this time our heros have made allies with Hiei and Kurama, known best from their first encounter back when they stole those three artifacts more than a month ago. And after all that time passed, poor Kayko got left behind on her date with Yusuke at a theater to watch alone while Yusuke and Kuwabara are on work fighting in the spirit world. I found this to be a good episode.

Gundam 0083: I can't remember but was there music in the first run of this episode during Kou's training exercise?

Dark Spider

Moderator of Kiyone Love
Jan 6, 2002
The Yagami
Visit site
Announcement:

Tenchi Universe Starts Tonight!!!

...but its only for 2 episodes before it gets replaced by Mobile Suit Gundam. :(

Its sad that ASA won't get its dose of Kiyone as she appears in Episode 5 and the show gets cut off at Episode 2.

But at least Everyone gets to watch Tenchi Universe's INCREDIBLE opening. I love its theme song, that's why I'm taping it...

SirLemming

a playa in a world of NPCs
Feb 24, 2002
Ratings
Franklin Square, NY
sirlemming.blogspot.com
Yu Yu Hakusho:
Good episode. I'm fine with the fighting episodes, but I also love the "down time" episodes just as much, in a different way. And the cliffhanger honestly does have me baffled. How the heck will they get out of that?
SIGN THAT YOU'RE NOT WATCHING TOONAMI:
5 guys brandishing knives and saying "must kill, must kill, must kill"

Cowboy Bebop:
Nothing much to say here that everyone else hasn't. It's great. That's all. I kinda wish they'd get rid of the "re-focusing" edit in the shower scene, but it's no huge loss. (For those who don't know, in the uncut version you see cleavage and various concealed side-views of Gren's breasts. For the edited version they zoomed in all the shots in a certain way so that you don't see the breasts.)

Dec 8, 2001
Inside your mind
Visit site
I only review stuff I haven't seen so only YYH gets reviewed tonight.

Yu Yu Hakusho
Nice little "down time" episode. Nice to see how Yusuke and Kuwabara go back to every-day life especially with Keiko. When are Yusuke and Keiko gonna hook up anyhow? They're cute together! ^_^ BTW, am I the only one who burst out laughing when the first zombie yelled "Must kill, must kill, must kill". Dunno why. And Hiei and Kurama return so that's a plus. And I loved the "not-so-much-of-a" cliffhanger. ("Oh yeah, we get out of that jam...but now look what happens to us!")
Grade: B+

Did you knowing that they escape from that thing in YYH really spoil anything? Did anyone honestly think they would just be crushed and the series is over? Of course not! Anyway, YYH had a good episode, more adventure than fighting, which is good, not much more to say. A.

Cowboy Bebop: Seen it, pretty good episode. It can have an A too.

Pilot Candidate: It was on for 25 seconds before I got up and turned it off. I think I'll give it an F.

Gundam 0083 had a pretty funny edit, so it gets a B.

Outlaw Star deserves the A because I like the episode. I like the whole idea of cactuses controlling your mind, it's so random.

Tenchi gets a big fat Pilot Candidate F for airing the first episode, but not showing any more of that series. Normally I'd give it a B.

Dark Spider

Moderator of Kiyone Love
Jan 6, 2002
The Yagami
Visit site
Well, I'm pissed off now. Tenchi Universe's intro was not played tonight...instead, Tenchi Muyo's intro was played. I will NEVER forget this, as Tenchi Universe's intro is my favorite intro EVER.

I'm tired of being screwed over by ASA when it comes to intros. Some people may disregard intros as nothing, but I treat intros as something special. Its the intro that really capture the shows true essence. It has to if the shows creators want people to know what the show is all about when they first watch it.

Since I don't feel like doing a review now, I will just give the shows an overall grade..

Dark Spider Review- Adult Swim Action Week #14 [Short hand]

Yu Yu Hakusho

Comments: Looks like the show has introduced everyone that makes an appearance in the intro. Ladies and Gentleman, we have a FULL CAST now! Oh and Kayko is back after a month long absence...

Overall Grade: B-

Cowboy Bebop
Comments: I love this episode as it has a great story...

Overall Grade: A

Pilot Candidate
Comments: I really didn't watch this episode...but since I've seen this episode, it really doesn't matter. I really liked Sheamon's review of PC this week...its just classic Sheamon all the way. :)

Overall Grade: D

Gundam 0083
Comments: A nice peaceful episode before all the Nina/Kou relationship squabble stuff happens...

Overall Grade: A-

Outlaw Star
Comments: This was THE most useless episode in all of Outlaw Star. I rescind my previous verdict that the episode with the underwater adventure was the worst episode ever. This episode was truly stupid...

Overall Grade: C-

Tenchi Universe
Comments: I'm still pissed off that the intro wasn't shown, but the episode itself is very cool. Too bad it isn't getting a full run...

Overall Grade: A-

Overall Grade for Adult Swim Action Week #14: B-

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

@Gatordragon - even if it ain't my thing, you gotta admire it for having the amount of balls it does to be all vulgar, violent, and educational at the same time. Plus, it's not talking down to you like you're a baby, which is definitely how to do things right and marketing yourself to more than one audience. In short, it could use more seasons for those who actually enjoyed it, honestly.
If you like the Original Grinch animated special and have TBS it's on twice tonight (the 17th) at 7pmet and 8:30pm et
Mickey Mouse's 90th birthday is tomorrow!
I'm rewatching Justice League and I'm sort of weird ed out how old Superman looked in the earlier seasons
Yeah... I just watched the end of Peepoodo... And I wish I hadn't. If I'm considered a wuss for liking Milo Murphy's Law. Big City Greens, Summer Camp Island, Clarence, Craig of the Creek, Hilda, Harvey Beaks, Harvey Street Kids and even The Loud House - not to mention LPS (2012, 2018) SO MUCH MORE because at least those shows have some constraint to not be this gross - then I could care less what you think of me.