Post your reviews: Adult Swim Action (5/18/02)

Ravenger

Bringer of the New Revolution
Matt didn't post it yet. No one else posted it yet... why not me?

Post some reviews up and stuff like that! =) Heh... I need some good lines.... or something. My review will stay neatly packed in this one post for convience. =)

Adult Swim Action Review (5/18/02)
By: Ravenger(ravenger@dark-revelation.com)

Heh.. sorry I haven't been around and posting
like normal.. had a little stuff cloging me up
but I'm back for my weekly posting of the Adult
Swim Action Review. I'm going to be posting one
show at a time like most everyone else. =)

yuyu.gif

Yusuke vs. Rando: 99 Attacks

We now get to the final showdown... Yusuke against Rando(who sounds like Future Trunks.. couldn't resist another DBZ/YYH voice comparison). Yusuke is weak, Kuwabara is practically dead and Rando is just standing tall. This episode doesn't look good for our heros. The fight though seems one sided but nicely realistic. The realism behind the one sided battle makes the battle actually seem suspencful which is a change from other shows where you can see who is going to win a mile off. Just not the kind of thing that catchs my eye. But the fight also had some humor behind it... all of it Yusuke of course but thats ok. Next week we start a new saga but Yusuke will have some back up so stay tuned. =)

Score: 9

cb.gif

Toys in the Attic

This is actually a good episode. It has something for everyone: horror, action, sci-fi, comedy and even a moral. =) The episode starts off innocent enough... the crew is broke and hopeless... just living along. But things go oh so wrong. An alien creature is attacking the crew... and its all up to Spike to save them all.... again. I still say that this episode is the mixed bag that shows all kinds of different things you don't typically see on Bebop. Thats the beauty of the episode... it can appeal to the many. Sooooo... anyway this is a filler episode.. no doubt... nothing related to the story as a whole but still entertaining to say the least. Doesn't every 26 episode anime have an episode like this? Something that entertains but has no usefulness to the plot. Oh yea.. the moral of the story... "Don't leave things in the fridge."

Score: 7

pc.gif

Connection

Heh.. as you may or may not know.. I did review this episode before... I was far from impressed. I didn't really sit and make the long entertaining reviews like I do now but still here is what I had "Pilot Canaidate is something that fell below expectations for me... it looked like something that should have been on Toonami in the first place. The CG animation is the only thing that kept me watching but the story isn't too in depth and interesting. Plus the main character having the same squeaky, annoying voice of Tai from Digimon didn't help either. Hopefully things pick up later on." I still stand by this... freaking Zero falls into a Goddess cockpit and nothing really happens but everyone else in GOA tring to get him out. Wow... what a plot and introduction for the first episode... at least the CG was good or it would have got a 4.

Score: 6

0083.gif

A Storm Raging Through

This is the episode that ends 0083 and what a run it was. This series has got me ready for the other Gundam series. The climatic end has the Federation setting up a "Solar System" attack(this was used by the Fedi's in the original Gundam to win Solomon). With the turmoil going around... the anger filled, vengeful Kou goes out to get Gato. Gato now seeks to complete Operation Stardust now that Delaz is dead. This was pure action and pure emotion just like the end of the other Gundam series that CN has shown(Mobile Suit Gundam, 08th MS Team, and 0080). So much for the TV PG that it displayed... the edits in certain parts just scream "EDIT" but this can be overlooked... you can feel the tension. I'm going to make this as spoiler free as posible but the ending it just amazing. I can't wait to see this again with the re-edited version.

Score: 10

os.gif

Mortal Combat with the El Dorado

This is one of my favorite episodes of Outlaw Star. Mainly for the action and how they disply the stratagy behind ship to ship battles in the Outlaw Star universe. Plus it brings character development on the MacDougle Brothers and how dangarous they truely are. But the action really picks up for this episode. It has a tension behind it that has been buliding since the first few episodes which is good to have as there has been emotion and tension building up which only adds to the attitude of the characters. And even further... this builds up for a few other episodes later on. Few words describe it... fewer say how much and why I like the episode. But I just do. The edits HURT the episode... most if not all were unnessary espescially on Adult Swim.

Adult Swim Score: 7
Toonami Score: 10

tm.gif

Here Comes Jurai

More favorite episodes here... and this one is the last in the Tenchi Muyo OAV's(so far). It is the other long episode in the OAV's(the other being "The Night Before the Carnival").. so much for Superman since I'm watching Outlaw Star right now. This episode shows what happen when your family visits when your crush is right there and the crazy woman who trashed your planet too. Well, this episode is a funny episode and has some... action... I guess. My reason for liking the episode... it has good character development for Ayeka, Sasami, Tenchi, Katsuhito/Yosho and the Jurai as a whole. This episode isn't really hurt terribly by edits as they are trivial and would take place on AS anyway. So enjoy the long episode and be glad that Adult Swim is going long. =)

Adult Swim Score: 8
Toonami Score: 10

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir Gatts

It's that big!
Yu Yu Hakusho: We continue with the fight between Yusuke and Rando in this episode. This time it starts off with Yusuke getting bound by one of Rando's attacks and later to find himself about to become fish food. With some encouragement from Kuwabara's life force, Yusuke manages to get back to his feet to knock Rando on his arse only later to end up defeating him with that dumb luck again. It was rather interesting to see that Rando has already learned Yusuke's spirit gun technique during their first round. And so for the next six months of Yusuke's time, Yusuke must study under Genkai to learn the Spirit Wave technique. This was a good episode and made for a very good plot mover.

(A note that CN aired a Mission Hill commercial for tomorrow's ASC line-up)

Gundam 0083: Final Episode So not to spoil this for everyone, all I can really say is that was sure a good episode which left you with very few questions about the series plot/story line. My only question remaining is about that missing in action nuclear warhead. It could mean that it will remain as a negotiating tool for the Zeon with the fact that the Zeon and the Federation still remain active. This would seem to leave things open for another season of Gundam.

Last edited by a moderator:

JTurner954

Paradigm City, USA
Yu yu Hakusho: Even though the conclusion to the fight was good, I just wasn't into this episode. It just seemed to drag for me. Now that they hinted at Useke getting new powers and facing more villains, it looks like the show is going to get better again. Overall grade: B-

Cowboy Bebop: I still don't like Ed too much (she seems to think everything is a joke here, although I did giggle a little once she said "Spooky Alien"). Aside from her, not a bad episode. Poor Ein
:( looking so defenseless with those bandages around him/her (Is Ein a boy dog or a girl dog?). Anyway, good episode. Overall grade: B

Pilot Candidate: I will not post my opinions on shows I have seen already so no review for Pilot Candidate. Instead, I watched SNL (for the first time since ASA started BTW).

hardway35

Yu-Yu Hakusho

Great ep, the whole luck thing of Yuske's is wearing thin.

Cowboy Bebop:
Great filler ep, very funny.

Gundam:
Wow, this was by far the best show of the day. would been better without the edits, but very powerful and moving ep.

BTW wasn't RX-78 Ray's Gundam in MSG?

Rei

Playing BG&E
Great ep, the whole luck thing of Yuske's is wearing thin.

He didn't really get much luck, just a burst of power and stupidity on Rando's part.

hardway35

He would have been the size of an insect if that moss hadn't gotten in his ear. The really need a good head to head battle the test his strength to the max with out luck or the super boost in power when mad.

Rei

Playing BG&E
I forgot all about that moss. Guess there's always some luck to Yusuke's battles afterall.

Sora Takenouchi

Star Stealer!
Yay! I'm early! ^_^

Yu Yu Hakusho

This final showdown was pretty intense. Yusuke actually looked like he had no hope left and he sort of didn't. Eric Vale does a great job as Rando and Rando is one helluva badass. I loved the little jokes and one-liners througout the fight. YYH does a good job of not taking itself too seriously. Can't wait for the next story arc to begin. Grade: B+

Cowboy Bebop

Toys in The Attic. By far the weirdest episode of Cowboy Bebop. And that's a good thing. :cool: I liked the comedy in thsi epsiode like Jet getting nekkid, Spike using a flamethrower to light a cigarette, Ed eating the blob, and the classic moral: "Don't leave things in the fridge." Grade: A

Gundam 0083

This is one powerful ending. Take notes Pilot Candidate writers, because this is how you do an ending. I didn't expect to see blood from Anavel's gunshot wound nor did I expect Nina to act like that. I felt sorry for Kou Uraki when he saw Nina shoot at him. And the last few minutes was great. Grade: A+

Sheamon

Lost in the Undertow
Yu Yu Hakusho: No! This show is getting more and more like DBZ! Errh.... I can't stand it anymore! -_- Thank god this little Genkai tournament is over, and in DBZ fashion, next episode will apparantly skip 6 months and go straight to something else. Anyway, take a guess at how I felt about this ep. All fighting, practically no plot. And this is supposed to be one of the two so called 'adult' shows on the block?! The title 'Adult Swim' is a joke, plain and simple.

Grade: D-

Cowboy Bebop: A true classic here. Only 2 episodes are funnier than this one (if you've seen the rest of the series you know which two). Jet losing all his clothes to Faye... Spike burning his food, then his cigarette... The moral of the story is not to leave stuff in the fridge... Ed eating the monster... and of course the ridiculous preview about the 'Cowgirl Ed Show'. :p Out of all the so called 'filler' episodes this one probably has the highest rewatch value. You'll find something new everytime you watch it, I sure did. The only flaw? A rather foolish continuity error where Jet loses all his clothes to Faye then suddenly is wearing them again when Spike tries to make a remedy for him.

I still don't like Ed too much (she seems to think everything is a joke here, although I did giggle a little once she said "Spooky Alien"). Aside from her, not a bad episode.
Oh well, Ed's not for everyone :( This was the ep that got me to like Ed my first way through the show; hope Bohemiam Rhapsody can turn you to our side :p You'll enjoy the next 2 eps, very little Ed in them.

Grade: A+

Pilot Candidate: Since I reviewed this 12 weeks ago, I'll keep things short. *Pukes* Thats about it. Rewatching the first episode didn't clear up anything.

Grade: F

Gundam 0083: This episode suffers from a massive confusion factor, like most of the later episodes in the OVA. I haven't seen Zeta Gundam yet, maybe thats the problem... As for everything else like animation, fights, etc... all as good as usual in this show. And finally glad to see Cima killed off, damn I despised her (and her dub voice). The episode did seem to end very abruptly though, editing problems again perhaps? :rolleyes:

Grade: A-

Outlaw Star: This episodes' shortcomings are made up for in the second half with some decent action and finally some decent movement in the plot. You saw the episode, you know what I'm talking about :p The direction in the first half of the episode is ridiculous with the insane amount of scenes and such. And of course as I've said before, I despise Aisha and like Suzuka, so seeing as how much we got of the former and none of the latter, I'm not too appreciative. Joy, the cactus episode is next week -_-

Grade: B+

Tenchi Muyo: The final ep of the OVA is quite good, introducing us to 3 new characters and providing atleast some resolution. Unfortunately it ends extremely abruptly, leading to a lot of confusion. Not only the best ep in the OVA, but best in all of Tenchi.

Grade: A

Overall, a pretty good night with 4 strong showings and 2 duds. Now that both 0083 and PC are over, with the cactus ep of OS on, and god only knows for the final ASA ep of Tenchi, things will be pretty weak next week with only Jupiter Jazz around to hold up everything else :( But after that... Mobile Suit Gundam returns! :D :D :D

Sora Takenouchi

Star Stealer!
Originally posted by Sheamon
Yu Yu Hakusho: No! This show is getting more and more like DBZ! Errh.... I can't stand it anymore! -_- Thank god this little Genkai tournament is over, and in DBZ fashion, next episode will apparantly skip 6 months and go straight to something else. Anyway, take a guess at how I felt about this ep. All fighting, practically no plot. And this is supposed to be one of the two so called 'adult' shows on the block?! The title 'Adult Swim' is a joke, plain and simple.

I'm pretty sure Cartoon Newtork apologizes that this is Adult Swim Action and not Adult Swim Philosophy or whatever. :p Granted YYH isn't an "adult" show, but unlike you, there are adults out there that enjoy good fights and don't crave deep meanings, and complex psychobabble a la Evangelion and Lain. And yes, it can safely be called one of the two "adult" shows on ASA as far as I'm concerned. So go back to your Shakespeare and Plato, book-boy, and spare us who undertsand martial arts anime your constant "all fight, no story" drivel.

Sheamon

Lost in the Undertow
Originally posted by Sora Takenouchi

I'm pretty sure Cartoon Newtork apologizes that this is Adult Swim Action and not Adult Swim Philosophy or whatever. :p Granted YYH isn't an "adult" show, but unlike you, there are adults out there that enjoy good fights and don't crave deep meanings, and complex psychobabble a la Evangelion and Lain. And yes, it can safely be called one of the two "adult" shows on ASA as far as I'm concerned. So go back to your Shakespeare and Plato, book-boy, and spare us who undertsand martial arts anime your constant "all fight, no story" drivel.

Hate Fish, Rando spinning Yusuke around like a child, Genkai's ridiculous little tournament, etc... I like my fair share of action. But not DBZ/YYH style fights where characters use the same lame technique over and over again (whether its Kamehama or Spirit Gun) and win because they have mush in their ears. Fights are great! But not when they're everything, as clearly has been the case with YYH for a few weeks, and is always the case in DBZ.

Good enough explanation for you? I don't have to insult people to get my point across.

Space Pirate

YYH:GREAT episode, A++++, if you dont like YYH then DONT WATCH IT, the **** no one is forcing you to watch it, this is what action anime is about. And im tire of all that DBZ/YYH crap, there are only little simialarities between them and YYH doesnt suck like DBZ.

Kesh

Cute, blue & fuzzy
Well, crap. I missed it all again. Time to invest in video tapes. :(

I came in at the last 5 minutes of 0083... what happened?! Can someone summarize the past two episodes for me? I was completely confused as to why Nena was being detained and what she was yelling about. And why was Kou being put on trial?

Merf.

ohmrbill

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Originally posted by Sir Gatts
My only question remaining is about that missing in action nuclear warhead. It could mean that it will remain as a negotiating tool for the Zeon with the fact that the Zeon and the Federation still remain active. This would seem to leave things open for another season of Gundam.

*ahem*

Gato already used the nuke to wipe out most of the Federation fleet back when he still had the unit 2. Remember?

BTW wasn't RX-78 Ray's Gundam in MSG?

The full number for Amuro Ray's Gundam was RX-78-2. The ones in 0083 were RX-78GP01, RX-78GP02, etc.

I'll probably post some reviews tomorrow, but right now it's late and I'm tired. :yawn:

Nitrowax

YYH - good episode, very good i liked the fighting and the supionos, and it was funny when Kwbara insalted Yuska about taking over his job, haha
GRADE- A

CB i queit didn't get this one at the end where Ed was telling us about next weeks epiosde... she said they all died but there bennging a next round i think... HOW DID THEY LIVE, HOW DID THEY CURE THEMSelevs from the purple jello thing... and shoudn't have Ed died because she ate it at the end...
this one was a queer epiosde...
GRADE-B

PC all i got to say is just plain boring until they all get their parnters, i think... they should put more action in this show.
GRADE- D-

0083 cool fights and guns man thats what i like : ) yes this was a good episode... but was it the last...?
GRADE- B+

Behonkiss

Just put an X here and here...
Didn't you see the end? Spike set the ship on autopilot to land at a hospital before blacking out. And Ed may just be too weird to be affected by the blob.:)

Oh, and my opinion on this week:

CRAP! CRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAP! CRAAAAAP!

My cable provider SUCKS. Of over 100 channels, the only one that didn't work last night was CN....and it wasn't acting up all night, only after Batman Beyond started at 10:30!

NO 0083 ENDING FOR 13 WEEKS!:mad:

Please, someone just make me a big spoiler box and tell what happened. I can't wait three months all over again.

livingfruitvirus

No! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
Even with the edits, you could spot the re-inserted content in this week's Gundam 0083. It was nice to see whats-her-name die in that Gundam before it blew up, as well as Anavel bleeding from his wound.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Why is it automatically assumed that if a person were to suddenly gain super powers they'll put on tights and either immediately decide to save the world or conquer/destroy it?
the sports junkie in me really loves playing Sports Reference's Immaculate Grid games. nice way to start off each morning.
Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?

Featured Posts