Possible New Star Trek TV series

Michael24

Staff member
"And I'm sure it would be wisely under JJ Abrams's purview of what happens. He's the guardian of Trek right now."
That's a scary thought.

bigddan11

Justice must be served!
I just want to point something out real quickly here.

Star Trek- 1966 (3 seasons)- NBC
Star Trek: The Animated Series- 1973 (2 seasons)- syndication
Star Trek movies- 1979, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1989, 1991
Star Trek: The Next Generation- 1987 (7 seasons)- syndication
Star Trek: TNG movies- 1994, 1996, 1998, 2002
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine- 1993 (7 seasons)- syndication
Star Trek: Voyager- 1995 (7 seasons)- UPN
Star Trek: Enterprise- 2001 (4 seasons)- UPN
JJ Abrams Star Trek movies- 2009, 2013

Based on that timeline, we're looking at 2014 being the earliest a new Trek TV series would launch. That would be 9 years after Enterprise left the airways. That's not quite the 14 years that were between The Animated Series and TNG, but it certainly is enough time to where it would be a new generations first exposure to the successful cult series. It also falls in with the form of new Star Trek media being produced roughly 3 to 4 years apart (the longest break was 6 years betweenStar Trek and the Animated Series compared to 5 years between TAS and the 1st Star Trek movie). However I would say they need to go the route of doing syndication TV instead of prepping it for CW since the most successful seasons, not necessarily in terms of episodes but successful in relaunching the franchise and bringing in new fans, have occurred from syndication (Animated Series interest led to the movies, a TNG and DS9 were both syndicated, but their success is what led UPN to pick up Voyager).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we're hitting the big five-oh in 2016, right? Maybe it'd be best to conserve our energy for then? As much I as would like to follow a new Star Trek TV series, I want there to be enough of a built up interest that the era doesn't break down too quickly.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
However I would say they need to go the route of doing syndication TV instead of prepping it for CW since the most successful seasons, not necessarily in terms of episodes but successful in relaunching the franchise and bringing in new fans, have occurred from syndication.

But...outside of Legend of the Seeker, first-run syndication for scripted dramas is a dead market.

Times have changed. They'd be better off airing it on a network (CBS or CW), or even on cable (SyFy).

bigddan11

Justice must be served!
But...outside of Legend of the Seeker, first-run syndication for scripted dramas is a dead market.

Times have changed. They'd be better off airing it on a network (CBS or CW), or even on cable (SyFy).

You need to remember who owns the rights to produce Star Trek TV series, and that's CBS Paramount. They'd also get first rights to any new series, but there's no way that CBS would put it on CBS, and CW wouldn't be much better than UPN. I blame UPN for making them produce two series simultaneously (DS9 and Voyager) as one of the reasons Star Trek needed to be pulled off TV for a while, so I'd hate for it to be on CW.

While it's true that most syndication is dead, it's important to remember that doing a broadcast via syndication is actually better off for you in terms of financing than doing a regular network. You have multiple local stations that will get into bidding wars for the rights for a big name series like Star Trek that would be beneficial to you. I'd also like to point out that it really was TNG that led to the last era of syndication that prospered and included properties like Hercules: The Legendary Journey and Xena: Warrior Princess.

And honestly, Star Trek has never been better off on any cable network like Syfy, than it was in syndication or via UPN. The only cable group that treated Star Trek right was Spike TV (which I believe has now lost the rights to Syfy). The only cable group I'd probably watch a new Star Trek series on would be TNT. I don't see it happening, but it would be a perfect fit next to Falling Skies (though it would be much longer season wise and probably tell the story a lot better than Falling Skies has).

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
I'm not expecting another Star Trek series on TV until after the third JJ Abrams movie at the earliest, myself. Let it build up some hype and interest.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts