"Pompo: The Cinephile" Talkback

Classic Speedy

Let it haunt your nightmares
Staff member
Reporter
Saw this in Target recently- I had never heard of this movie but the art style on the case, title and description intrigued me so I blind bought it. (last time I did this with an anime film was The Night is Short, Walk on Girl)

Basic plot: Gene, an assistant in the entertainment industry, is given the shot to turn producer Pompo's script into reality- she takes the chance because he's a tortured soul and they make the best art. What follows is this rookie going through all the challenges of making a film, from casting to filming to securing financing to crunch time editing. There's also an old film star who comes out of retirement to star in it (no pressure or anything).

If you're a film lover and especially if you've ever tried to direct your own, this movie will likely be right up your alley. There are nods of relatability in many moments, like Gene trying to find the best way to introduce a character through editing. Also liked the Hollywood-esque atmosphere (albeit more idealized), offering a different setting than most anime, which take place in Japan. Good animation quality. I enjoyed it overall, and offered something refreshingly different.

Who else has seen it?

LinusFan303

Waiting for Christmas
I've seen this movie, actually own it on Blu-Ray too. It's a well done movie, pretty interesting characters without feeling too sappy or over done. The animation was great, love the more colorful version of Hollywood. I liked it.

SpaceCowboy

I didn't like this movie. Pompo was so annoying. The deconstruction of the film editing process was interesting, though.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

the_joker wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I just found out a life-size Lucario plush exists.
Today marks the 20th Year Anniversary of (the "formal" premiere of) Codename: Kids Next Door. This show is one of (if not) my favorite Cartoon Network show(s) and I remain hopeful that Tom Warburton's wish for the sequel show to see the light of day become a reality.
Damnit, I’m so distraught. Why can’t these times ever let the hell up?

Mills Lane, Hall of Fame Referee, Passes Away at 85 - Boxing News
Here's Comic Book Buy's opinion on the Toon In with Me episode: Goldie's Farewell.
my account is dead because i have community posts allowed on youtube

Featured Posts