Pokemon Sword and Shield News and Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Light Lucario

Staff member
We had a Pokemon Direct this morning and here is the new trailer:

While Scorbunny is still my favorite of the Galar starters, I find myself loving Grookey the more I see it too. Both of their expressions during the scene where you pick your starter made them more endearing to me. Sobble is still cute too, but so far Scorbunny and Grooky are my favorites of the three starters. That could still change once their evolved forms are revealed. I love that there seems to be a brief shot where Sobble looks happy with hearts. It was cute and it also implies that there is another Pokemon Amine/Refresh feature in the game, which would be terrific.

There are quite a few new Pokemon shown here as well. Wooloo looks like the early route Normal type, but I really like its design. It's so cute and round. Plus, I like sheep, so another sheep based Pokemon sounds pretty cool to me. Gossifleur and Eldegoss are pretty nice. Eldegoss reminds me of Roselia for some reason, but they look pretty neat. Drednaw looks pretty strong. I wonder if it could be a fossil Pokemon. Corviknight has a really cool design. I kind of wonder if it is an evolved Pokemon or if it doesn't evolve. It looks so tough and the shade of black looks really neat. It also sounds like Corviknight can fly players around to places they've been do, which indicates that HMs aren't going to be in this game too. I'm glad that they're finding different ways to get around a region instead of just using the same HM moves.

The new Legendary Pokemon are pretty cool. I knew that they were going to be wolves based on the logos. Zacian and Zamazenta are going to be hard names for me to pronounce. The sword and shield aspects of their designs are pretty fitting, but it is kind of strange for Zacian to just carry its sword all the time. It might work better if it was shown to just pull out the sword from its side or something before making an attack. Zamazenta's shield looks also really huge, but I imagine that was the point. I'm sure that they're at least part Steel types. I wouldn't be too shocked if at least Zacian turned out to be a Fighting/Steel type.

We also learn of the special battle mechanic in this game called Dynamax. It was certainly unexpected to see giant Pokemon fighting each other. It sounds like it fits with the Galar region when even Gym battles are in huge stadiums and are broadcasted on TV. It almost sounds like a combination of Mega Evolution and Z-Moves. The Pokemon turn into giants and their moves are drastically increased in power, but they only have the form for three turns. It looks pretty cool and I'm kind of curious how it will be featured in the anime. It looks like Pokemon have to be released from a giant Pokeball to use Dynamax, which could be a problem for Ash's Pikachu. But I also wouldn't be surprised if the anime found some way around that for Ash's Pikachu at the same time. It also seems like we have another Rotom based Pokedex, which does make it likely for Ash's Rotom Dex to follow him from Alola to Galar. It isn't a one hundred percent confirmation, but it's pretty darn close and I'm okay with that. I kind of miss the regular Pokedex from previous generations, especially when I never had a problem with Ash using the Pokedex on Pokemon he already saw, but at the same time, I can see why they'd want to keep a Rotom Pokedex. It allows for them to make the Pokedex more marketable if there's a Pokemon inside of it.

The concept of Max Raid Battles definitely reminded me of Pokemon Go's Raid Battles. It sounds like a fun way to battle with other people, although hopefully it wouldn't be impossible to do them alone or to just rely on people you meet online to participate in them. It sounds like a fun and different way to battle, as well as possibly a more challenging way to capture a Pokemon. I also really like the Wild Area. Seeing Pokemon in the overworld is so cool and it can really help to make the game more immersive. It looks and sound like they'll only appear in the overworld in the Wild Area. That would be fine if that is the case. As much as I would have liked that to be a feature of every game, having it as a part of a special area works too. That way we can have random encounters and still find Pokemon through the overworld at the same time.

Making the Gym battles such a huge deal in the game is a pretty neat idea. It helps to make each battle feel important and can give each Gym a unique visual design to them at the same time. The new Professor Magnolia and her assistant Sonia seem pretty interesting. It's been awhile since we've had a female Professor and Sonia having a connection to Leon, the current Galar Champion, sounds interesting. I already really like Hop's design. He reminds me of Hau and I could see him having a pretty neat storyline with his goal of becoming a Champion like Leon. Having a pair of siblings becoming rivals, or at least making it a goal to surpass the older sibling, sounds pretty cool. I like Leon's design. He comes off as tough and cool all at once. I've also kind of missed having an official Champion character, despite how only a few of them really stand out to me. I'm sure it will be treated as a huge deal to defeat Leon in battle. I do hope that they'll still have players being able to defend their Champion titles like they've been able to for the past few games.

I'm also really glad that we finally have an official release date for it. I figured that it was going to be in November. They'd want to get a hold of that sweet Black Friday money and it makes more sense than waiting until December to release the games, but it was good to learn when it will come out exactly. I'll wait to see what kind of pre-order bonuses they'll have, but I'm certainly going to pre-order the games. The scenery is just beautiful, I like the new Pokemon, the battles seem cool and there's a lot of potential with the storyline and characters. I just hope that we'll be able to get more information during E3 and that we'll get monthly updates from this point forward.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'll comment on the Pokemon Home issue first just so then I can focus on the rest of the updates from today. There has already been a lot of backlash towards this decision and I can understand why. With the exception of the third generation, fans have generally been able to transfer older Pokemon into the most recent games without too much of a problem. A lot of people put time into collecting Pokemon to create a living Pokedex and plenty of fans have kept some of their favorite Pokemon since their first game through each generation. There have been a lot of Pokemon featured in these games, but naturally a lot of Pokemon are going to not be in the Galar Pokedex. It doesn't help that they don't include a National Dex anymore. I thought that the backlash towards Pokemon Bank's five dollar yearly fee was way overblown, but this negativity is more reasonable by comparison.

That being said, it didn't make me upset simply because I don't think it's going to be a permanent deal. They didn't make it specific if this is going to be a permanent or temporary issue, but I could easily see them making patches to Pokemon Home and Sword/Shield to include other Pokemon. Or they could make all Pokemon transferable in the next game after Sword/Shield. The second option probably wouldn't be the best one either, but it would be better than making it impossible to transfer certain Pokemon to the newest generation. I'm also not sure which option is more likely given how much time it would take to work on the models for Pokemon. It probably also depends on how many Pokemon they were able to include in the games too.

I can still understand the immediate backlash. A lot of people love to transfer over Pokemon from different games into the most recent ones and it is a pretty big limitation. I'm kind of worried if they have a shorter amount of new Pokemon just to include as many older Pokemon as possible, although I doubt that's going to happen. I just don't think that they'd want to have another R/S situation where it is virtually impossible to transfer over Pokemon to a new game. I can understand all of the negativity surrounding that decision. I just don't think it's a permanent problem or an immediate deal breaker on the games, especially when Pokemon Home wouldn't even be ready for the launch anyway.

I really like the new Gym Leader Nessa. She has an absolutely gorgeous design. Her hair and eyes just look so cool and she has such a confident facial expression too. It was pretty neat to see more of the Wild Area. It seems like that might be the only area where players can control the camera, which is still nice. It was also pretty great to see what a Max Raid Battle is like. It does play out a lot like Raid Battles in Pokemon Go. There's also a Dynamax Level for each Pokemon. They don't explain what that is, but I suspect it's a timer for when players can have certain Pokemon use their Dynamax powers. Having Dynamax available right at the start of the battle would regular matches feel potentially too easy, as well as eliminate any strategy players could make with when to use that power up.

Two new Pokemon were also revealed in an E3 demo. Yamper is an Electric type and has a new ability that collects the first failed throw of a Pokeball. Impidimp is a Dark/Fairy type. Yamper definitely looks adorable. It looks like an electric corgi, which is just pressure. Plus, I love the dog/canine based Pokemon a lot. Impidimp really threw me off when I first saw it. It isn't a bad design, but it is one of the few times I can recall where I think to myself "What the heck is that?" when seeing a new Pokemon. It might grow on me more with seeing official artwork for it or seeing better footage of it, but Impidimp is okay. It certainly stands out.

DonTrashRoom

Have a nice trip, see you next fall
I'm just as dismayed as anyone after finding out that not all Pokemon will be transferable, but I feel like all of the people who are viewing this as a deal-breaker and are outraged over it are just as bad as Genwunners at this point.

I understand why they decided to go this route (technical issues in relation to getting the game out on time), and for me, it just means that I won't be sending my entire collection of Pokemon I have in my Pokemon Bank to Pokemon Home, for the foreseeable future at least. Hopefully when Sword 2/Shield 2/Ultra Sword/Ultra Shield/the Sinnoh remakes/whatever else they have planned for Gen VIII comes out, we'll be able to transfer more (if not all) of the Pokemon from past generations.

Light Lucario

Staff member
It takes me forever to transfer over my older Pokemon, so this doesn't bother me too much personally. I am a bit surprised with the amount of people treating this a a deal breaker when there was so much hype and excitement for the Pokemon Direct last week. The backlash is still understandable, but some people are already acting as if this could spell the end of the franchise if this isn't fixed, which definitely feels like an exaggeration to me.

It would have been better if they made all Pokemon transferable or at least made it clear that this limitation was only temporary, but this isn't the worst thing imaginable and it doesn't negate a lot of the good/promising aspects of the game either. I can understand why they made this decision. While I'm sure that they'd have enough financial resources to include all of the Pokemon models, they probably didn't have enough time to do it. They have released a new main series game every year with rarely any breaks, so it's possible that release method has backfired on them in a sense. I've seen people who said that they'd rather wait longer for new games to come out if Game Freak needs more time to include every Pokemon model, but I also remember how upset fans were when Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee were announced instead of an eighth generation or D/P remakes last year. So taking longer for this generation to come out would have probably resulted in plenty of annoyed fans too. Not to mention I don't see how the SM series could have been extended for another year.

I still hope that they'll have some patches to fix this issue in the future, but it doesn't immediately ruin the Sword/Shield hype for me. There's so much that I already like about them and knowing that the next generation was going to be on the Switch was one reason why I bought the system in the first place. I'm going to get these games regardless of the Pokemon Home issue.

ToonJay723

Staff member

Now they've officially confirmed they're not bringing every Pokémon in the game.

Looking at some news that came out yesterday, there are some limitations on the Pokemon Bank. Only the Galar region Pokedex is only going to be accessible. Can you walk me through why that decision was made, and why you think it's important to have that limitation?

Junichi Masuda, Producer:
There are a couple of different parts to the thinking behind it, but really the biggest reason for it is just the sheer number of Pokemon. We already have well over 800 Pokemon species, and there's going to be more added in these games. And now that they're on the Nintendo Switch, we're creating it with much higher fidelity with higher quality animations. But even more than that, it's coming down to the battle system. We're making sure we can keep everything balanced and give all the Pokemon that appear in the games a chance to shine.

We knew at some point we weren't going to be able to indefinitely keep supporting all of the Pokemon, and we just found that Sword and Shield would probably be a good point to go back and reevaluate what would be the best selection of Pokemon that appeal to the widest audience while keeping into consideration the balance of the battle system. It isn't just going to be all-new Pokemon in the Galar region Pokedex; there's still going to be a lot of favorites that fans will be able to bring over that they've adventured with previously. But yeah, it was pretty much just balancing and getting this optimal selection of Pokemon for the adventure we wanted to provide.

Can you tell me about that selection process, like deciding which Pokemon you wanted ported forward, how much of that had to do with fan favourites versus balancing out the types and abilities?

JM:
There are definitely a lot of factors. The primary focus was the setting of the game. We have the Galar Region, and we spent a lot of time discussing which Pokemon would make sense in that region. We kind of selected from there. But we also selected types that make sure the battles are balanced and really provide this exciting kind of battle experience.

It's a little disappointing, but not a huge deal breaker. I hope they can at least get the cut Pokémon in the Gen 9 games. And despite what a lot of people claim, a lot of people don't use the transfer feature and only use the Pokemon found in each respective game.

Light Lucario

Staff member

Now they've officially confirmed they're not bringing every Pokémon in the game.

It's a little disappointing, but not a huge deal breaker. I hope they can at least get the cut Pokémon in the Gen 9 games. And despite what a lot of people claim, a lot of people don't use the transfer feature and only use the Pokemon found in each respective game.

That's pretty much what I do. There are fans who enjoy bringing over Pokemon from previous games to experience a new adventure together, which is sweet, and people who want to bring over their living Pokedexs to complete the new one. But despite the immense backlash, I don't know how many players rely heavily on this feature. People are already screaming that this could lead to the end of the franchise, which still feels like a huge exaggeration to me.

I still hope that they'll be able to patch in the rest of the Pokemon into Sword/Shield or at least make them available in whatever comes after those games in this generation, but I can understand their reasoning for the most part. There are a lot of Pokemon already and depending on the number of Pokemon introduced in the Galar region, we could get close to nine hundred Pokemon. That is a lot to handle with the different animation and models. Plus, wanting to give the new Pokemon a chance to shine is pretty reasonable too. I can understand the issue in terms of competitive gameplay too, but I do think that could have been handled by just banning Pokemon from competitive gameplay or certain tournament ranks. I don't know if that would have been too difficult to manage by comparison, but that could have been an option. I just hope that fans won't have this overshadow everything else about Sword/Shield. I just love seeing all of the reactions to the previous Pokemon Direct and all of the information we learned really got me more excited for the games too. I'm still hoping that it will work out in the end.

Reactions: RDG

DonTrashRoom

I still hope that they'll be able to patch in the rest of the Pokemon into Sword/Shield or at least make them available in whatever comes after those games in this generation...
The latter option seems more plausible. I don't think patching the remaining Pokemon in would be feasible; they'd probably be concerned about consistency in the Pokemon available to player who have the patches and players who don't have the patches, not to mention opening up a whole can of worms with local wireless communication between both groups.

Light Lucario

Staff member
The latter option seems more plausible. I don't think patching the remaining Pokemon in would be feasible; they'd probably be concerned about consistency in the Pokemon available to player who have the patches and players who don't have the patches, not to mention opening up a whole can of worms with local wireless communication between both groups.

I was thinking it would be more of an automatic update patch like they've done for previous games. Plus, I get automatic updates for various Switch games all the time. Although, that might not be as plausible if there's a large number of Pokemon not included or if players have to pay for the patches. The latter would probably cause another uproar among fans in itself to boot.

I don't think that consistency would be an issue necessarily. They could make it where you can't access Internet functions without updating the game first, which is pretty standard for their patches too. It still might be more plausible to wait until the next main series game to make every Pokemon available, depending on how big the Galar Pokedex is, but I think that they could make updates to Sword/Shield to include them without too many problems.

RDG

Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive
Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves will not be in Sword and Shield

Note from Mod: Do not just post a link, mention what's in the link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'm not too surprised about Z-Moves, but I thought that Mega Evolution would be included at least. Considering that Leon has a Charizard, a Dynamax Mega Charizard X would look really cool, but that kind of combination could have also been too overpowered.

DonTrashRoom

With Sword and Shield there will be over 1,000 Pokémon including alternate forms.

Original Famitsu Article.
I did some math. I feel like Mega Evolutions, purely cosmetic form differences (such as Unown and Shellos), and form changes triggered by Abilities (such as Castform) or held items (such as Giratina) wouldn't count toward this, so the total Pokemon before Sword and Shield, including separate forms barring the aforementioned criteria, is 862.

Now one question remains - how many of the Pokemon introduced in Sword and Shield are new Pokemon, and how many are new forms?

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
It is kind of hard to figure out what forms are counted among the list of Pokemon. Mega Pokemon and Alolan forms were basically treated as new Pokemon. Some counts from fans already have the list at over a thousand.

I do kind of hope that this means that we could get about a hundred new Pokemon in Sword/Shield. I haven't had a problem with the shorter amount of new Pokemon for the past two generations. I think that a shorter amount can help with making better designs and there are a lot of sixth and seventh generation Pokemon that I really loved right off the bat. That being said, I wouldn't be against having more new Pokemon either. That would be pretty neat and potentially make the decision to not include every Pokemon right off the bat more understandable.

It is kind of a shame that the whole Pokemon Home situation overshadows everything else about Sword/Shield right now. It is understandable and I still don't blame people for getting upset to a degree, but it is sad that there has been so much negativity over this one decision right after there was so much hype for the games. I'm sure they will still sell more than well enough even with this backlash in mind, but seeing the hype go up and down this drastically is pretty depressing.

DonTrashRoom

It is kind of hard to figure out what forms are counted among the list of Pokemon. Mega Pokemon and Alolan forms were basically treated as new Pokemon. Some counts from fans already have the list at over a thousand.

I do kind of hope that this means that we could get about a hundred new Pokemon in Sword/Shield. I haven't had a problem with the shorter amount of new Pokemon for the past two generations. I think that a shorter amount can help with making better designs and there are a lot of sixth and seventh generation Pokemon that I really loved right off the bat. That being said, I wouldn't be against having more new Pokemon either. That would be pretty neat and potentially make the decision to not include every Pokemon right off the bat more understandable.

It is kind of a shame that the whole Pokemon Home situation overshadows everything else about Sword/Shield right now. It is understandable and I still don't blame people for getting upset to a degree, but it is sad that there has been so much negativity over this one decision right after there was so much hype for the games. I'm sure they will still sell more than well enough even with this backlash in mind, but seeing the hype go up and down this drastically is pretty depressing.
Do note that some alternate forms didn't carry over from generation to generation. Spiky-Eared Pichu only existed in HeartGold/SoulSilver, Cosplay Pikachu only appeared in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, Mega Evolutions won't appear in Gen VIII, etc.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Do note that some alternate forms didn't carry over from generation to generation. Spiky-Eared Pichu only existed in HeartGold/SoulSilver, Cosplay Pikachu only appeared in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, Mega Evolutions won't appear in Gen VIII, etc.

I forgot about those alternate forms. It kind of made sense that Cosplay Pikachu could only be in OR/AS given that it was connected to Contests, but it is still kind of surprising that they did that for a Pikachu alternate form. Spiky-Eared Pichu was also a bit of an odd choice since I don't think it was tied to a specific mechanic like Cosplay Pikachu was.

SNS

Game Freak brought it on themselves with that horrible decision. And the guy made it clear this isn’t something they intend to patch but that from now on, none of the games will have all the Pokémon in them. I just hope the backlash is enough in Japan that they eventually do go back on their stance and patch the Pokémon in.

I forgot about those alternate forms. It kind of made sense that Cosplay Pikachu could only be in OR/AS given that it was connected to Contests, but it is still kind of surprising that they did that for a Pikachu alternate form. Spiky-Eared Pichu was also a bit of an odd choice since I don't think it was tied to a specific mechanic like Cosplay Pikachu was.

From what I recall, the Spiky-Eared Pichu was stored away as a different Pokémon then Pichu and eventually replaced with another Pokémon.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Game Freak brought it on themselves with that horrible decision. And the guy made it clear this isn’t something they intend to patch but that from now on, none of the games will have all the Pokémon in them. I just hope the backlash is enough in Japan that they eventually do go back on their stance and patch the Pokémon in.

While I don't think it was the best decision, I also think that Game Freak was in a tight spot. I don't know much about video game development or programming, but it sounded like it would require more time to include all Pokemon in the games right off the bat if they wanted to use the same animation quality. They should have no problem with financial resources, but they simply may not have had enough time to do all that work in time to get the games released this year.

I've seen plenty of comments about how fans would have preferred the games being delayed until next year so that they could get all Pokemon transferable. Some fans might have been okay with that, but plenty of fans would be upset too. The backlash might not have been to the extreme of this decision, but people would still be furious about having to wait potentially another year for a generation eight announcement. Part of the reason why Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee initially had a mixed/negative reception was because a lot of fans wanted a new generation or D/P remakes on the Switch last year. Not to mention waiting another year just might not have been possible for Game Freak. Pokemon is a huge franchise and the games play a pretty big role in it, but there's also the anime and other merchandise. The SM series definitely couldn't last another year and they wouldn't want to take a long break for the series either. It just sounds like Game Freak would have gotten backlash regardless of what decision they took.

And did they make it clear that they don't intend on patching it up later? According to the Famitsu interview, they're currently undecided on updating the games to include the Pokemon not featured in the Galar Pokedex via patches. That doesn't sound like a hard no to me. That sounds more like they just haven't decided on the matter yet. Considering the intense immediate backlash from both western and Japanese fans, as well as how Masuda also didn't want to make this decision, I'd say that there's at least a fairly decent chance that they'll throw in some patches. It still wouldn't make fans happy per say, but it would calm down all of the anger to know that they'll eventually be able to transfer over their older Pokemon. It also might be a bit too early to say that they'll do this for all future games.

SNS

I don't know about other fans but it would make me happy if they eventually patch the rest of the Pokémon in. Even if takes another year.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts