Pokemon Sword and Shield News and Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
A new trailer for Sword/Shield came out:

We got some new Pokemon. Alcremie is a new Fairy type. I instantly thought back to Slurpuff when I first saw it, but Alcremie is already growing on me. It is rather cute and it looks like walking whip cream. Rolycoly is a Rock type. It doesn't really stand out to me too much, but it might grow on me with fanart and/or seeing its evolved forms. Duraludon is a Steel/Dragon type and it looks pretty cool. I'm sure that it is a single stage Pokemon, but it has a pretty neat design that fits with its type pretty nicely. I'm also glad that we got official artwork for Yamper. It is so cute.

There's also some new human characters. Chairman Rose and Oleanna seem rather suspicious to me. They didn't really explain their roles, but they seem to be connected to the Gym challenge. I wonder if they could also be involved with the evil team. They haven't announced what the evil team will be yet, so just showcasing two new characters like that just made me think of that. They also have version exclusive Gym Leaders. Bea is a Fighting type Gym Leader for Sword, while Allister is a Ghost type Gym Leader for Shield. I like their designs. They really match with their specific type of Pokemon. It's also been awhile since they've had version exclusive Gym Leaders.

They also showcased a new feature called Gigantamax. At first, I thought that this was just more Dynamax, but it is something a bit different. It boosts power upon Dynamaxing and changes a Pokemon's form. Each Gigantamax form has a G-Move. That sounds like even more of a merger between Mega Evolution and Z-Moves than Dynamax did. I'm not sure how I feel about this. It might have been better to just go with one of these new forms instead of two, but it might play out better when I try them out. Alcremie's Gigantamax form basically becoming the top of a giant cake is pretty fantastic though.

There's also a special bonus for pre-ordering the duel pack steel book edition. You can get two codes, one per game, to get Dynamax Crystals. By using Dynamax Crystals in the Wild Area, you can face Dynamax Larvitar and Dynamax Jangmo-o. Larvitar won't appear in Sword and Jangmo-o won't appear in Shield during normal gameplay, but you can find them with the Dynamax Crystals. It was a nice surprise to get some news this early in July. I thought that we wouldn't get any until CoroCoro started to leak, but this is a pretty nice amount of news all things considered.

Commander Beeper

Watchdog
Apr 11, 2015
A new trailer for Sword/Shield came out:

We got some new Pokemon. Alcremie is a new Fairy type. I instantly thought back to Slurpuff when I first saw it, but Alcremie is already growing on me. It is rather cute and it looks like walking whip cream. Rolycoly is a Rock type. It doesn't really stand out to me too much, but it might grow on me with fanart and/or seeing its evolved forms. Duraludon is a Steel/Dragon type and it looks pretty cool. I'm sure that it is a single stage Pokemon, but it has a pretty neat design that fits with its type pretty nicely. I'm also glad that we got official artwork for Yamper. It is so cute.

There's also some new human characters. Chairman Rose and Oleanna seem rather suspicious to me. They didn't really explain their roles, but they seem to be connected to the Gym challenge. I wonder if they could also be involved with the evil team. They haven't announced what the evil team will be yet, so just showcasing two new characters like that just made me think of that. They also have version exclusive Gym Leaders. Bea is a Fighting type Gym Leader for Sword, while Allister is a Ghost type Gym Leader for Shield. I like their designs. They really match with their specific type of Pokemon. It's also been awhile since they've had version exclusive Gym Leaders.

They also showcased a new feature called Gigantamax. At first, I thought that this was just more Dynamax, but it is something a bit different. It boosts power upon Dynamaxing and changes a Pokemon's form. Each Gigantamax form has a G-Move. That sounds like even more of a merger between Mega Evolution and Z-Moves than Dynamax did. I'm not sure how I feel about this. It might have been better to just go with one of these new forms instead of two, but it might play out better when I try them out. Alcremie's Gigantamax form basically becoming the top of a giant cake is pretty fantastic though.

There's also a special bonus for pre-ordering the duel pack steel book edition. You can get two codes, one per game, to get Dynamax Crystals. By using Dynamax Crystals in the Wild Area, you can face Dynamax Larvitar and Dynamax Jangmo-o. Larvitar won't appear in Sword and Jangmo-o won't appear in Shield during normal gameplay, but you can find them with the Dynamax Crystals. It was a nice surprise to get some news this early in July. I thought that we wouldn't get any until CoroCoro started to leak, but this is a pretty nice amount of news all things considered.
Actually, I think Duraludon is going to be this gen's pseudo-legendary (i.e. Tyranitar, Hydreigon, Goodra, Kommo-o).

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Actually, I think Duraludon is going to be this gen's pseudo-legendary (i.e. Tyranitar, Hydreigon, Goodra, Kommo-o).
That is a possibility. It was battling against Tyranitar during the trailer. Duraludon's appearance just made me instantly think of it as a single stage Pokemon, but it's possible that it could be a fully evolved Pokemon instead.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I've read the updates on the website and that does correct some of my initial speculations to the trailer. Chairman Rose and Oleana are in charge of the Galar Pokemon League. Apparently, Chairman Rose made the Galar Pokemon League famous world wide by implementing Gyms with Dynamax Pokemon. That doesn't necessarily mean that they can't be involved with the evil team, but it makes it at least a bit less unlikely.

The Gym Challenge also seems to be pretty different this time around. Trainers can only travel through the Galar region to challenge different Gyms once they have an endorsement by specific people. The player character and Hop get their endorsement from Leon. I really like this detail. It shows just how important the Gym Challenge is in Galar and it really fits with how Gym battles are treated like professional sports. There are even logos for sponsors all around Gyms and Leon's giant cape. It already helps to give the Galar region more of its own distinct identity.

The Champion Cup also sounds pretty interesting. It's a tournament held to decide who will battle for the chance to become the next Champion. It sounds a bit more like the Pokemon Leagues from the anime, but I'm sure that we'll still get an Elite 4 since every generation has that group. It sounds pretty cool, although I hope that we can still get Champion title defense battles afterwards. I love that the games still remember that you're the Champion after beating the seventh generation games. I imagine that they'll at least recognize that here, if only because defeating Leon should be a huge shock to the people in Galar, but I hope that they keep that feature in too.

I also thought that every Pokemon could Gigantamax, but it sounds like it's only available for certain Pokemon. The site mentioned that they can be found in Max Raid Battles, but they can be pretty rare. That does make me feel a bit better about the concept. Giving alternate forms to every Galar Pokemon would definitely be a lot, so this makes much more sense. I'm still not sure if it's really needed to include this right alongside Dynamax, but it might work better with the gameplay and/ore storyline of the game.

Terror of Death

Aug 1, 2007
US

Another awful response by Game Freak. Most other companies would keep silent, say they will try their best to resolve the issue, or at the very least apologize. They just keep repeating the same lines as if the community will suddenly start believing their excuses the more they say them. The clarification about the Pokemon not in S/S appearing in future games is just adding insult to injury. All you have to do is drop $60 for S/S, another $60 for D/P remakes, an additional $60 for the S/S sequels, at least $5 each for Pokemon Bank, Home and Switch Online, and if your really lucky you'll get to pay a final $60 for Johto region Let's Go games. $200+ is a small price to pay for getting the chance to use every generation of Pokemon in high quality HD on the Switch. :rolleyes2:

Fans have released numerous articles and videos over the months exposing their lies and yet they're still conducting business as usual. Clear signs of a company that's motivated by pure greed instead of putting out a product that's at the very least halfway decent.

For anyone that has a Sony or Nintendo system from the last decade and is fond of the monster collecting/battle Japanese rpg genre I highly recommend checking out the games for Digimon Story, Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, Ni no Kuni, Yokai Watch, and Dragon Quest (to a lesser extent). Whether it's gameplay, story, characters, graphics, designs, or music they each have some aspect that completely blows the mainline Pokemon games out the water. And what they're missing in quantity they make up for in quality. Most of them are receiving brand new iterations or ports on the Switch that will be released in 2019 and 2020.

Commander Beeper

Watchdog
Apr 11, 2015

Another awful response by Game Freak. Most other companies would keep silent, say they will try their best to resolve the issue, or at the very least apologize. They just keep repeating the same lines as if the community will suddenly start believing their excuses the more they say them. The clarification about the Pokemon not in S/S appearing in future games is just adding insult to injury. All you have to do is drop $60 for S/S, another $60 for D/P remakes, an additional $60 for the S/S sequels, at least $5 each for Pokemon Bank, Home and Switch Online, and if your really lucky you'll get to pay a final $60 for Johto region Let's Go games. $200+ is a small price to pay for getting the chance to use every generation of Pokemon in high quality HD on the Switch. :rolleyes2:

Fans have released numerous articles and videos over the months exposing their lies and yet they're still conducting business as usual. Clear signs of a company that's motivated by pure greed instead of putting out a product that's at the very least halfway decent.

For anyone that has a Sony or Nintendo system from the last decade and is fond of the monster collecting/battle Japanese rpg genre I highly recommend checking out the games for Digimon Story, Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, Ni no Kuni, Yokai Watch, and Dragon Quest (to a lesser extent). Whether it's gameplay, story, characters, graphics, designs, or music they each have some aspect that completely blows the mainline Pokemon games out the water. And what they're missing in quantity they make up for in quality. Most of them are receiving brand new iterations or ports on the Switch that will be released in 2019 and 2020.
Drop the stick and back away from the horse carcass.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Recommending other games to check out after complaining even more about Game Freak's decision is really going to have the opposite effect on me. I'm even less inclined to check out the Switch ports of these games just because of the negative association here, especially when Pokemon is near and dear to my heart. It just comes off as being done in poor tastes to me.

While I understand being upset at this decision, I'm also just well beyond the point of caring about it. The backlash is honestly worse than the Pokedex issue itself as far as I'm concerned. There are definitely reasonable complaints, but I've seen too many people insulting/harassing the developers, insulting anyone who still wants to buy the games, hoping for the games to tank in sales and jumping on any shread of positivity for the games to really get behind the National Dex crowd. Plus, a lot of it feels like fan entitlement at this point and I hate seeing people claim that they would have preferred a delay when the chances are excellent many of these same fans would be enraged to wait another year. Not to mention a delay wouldn't have been possible for a lot of reasons anyway.

When I come to this thread or any discussion on Sword/Shield, I don't want to keep focus on this controversy. I want to talk about the new Pokemon, the new characters and speculate what the game is going to be about, which is kind of hard to do when we keep coming back to this issue. I just wish that we can focus on anything else about the games aside from the Pokedex controversy at this point.

Reactions: ToonJay723

ToonJay723

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
New York

You've said multiple times that you don't like the new games because not every Pokémon is in it. We get it, no need to keep bringing up a dead horse. If you don't like the games and you don't have anything new to add to the discussion then you don't need to come back here.

This goes for everyone.

Reactions: Light Lucario

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Street Fighter EX was something you just had to live through.

While Spiderman Into The SpiderVerse made a significant profit, and is not a financial flop by any means, it's also the lowest grossing Spiderman movie.
Question for U.K. Toon Zoners. What the frack just happened?
Does anyone have Roblox? Mine is Yakkowarnerofficial.