Pokemon Sun and Moon Anime Discussion

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Another promotional image has been released.
DJIy3heV4AALWa-.jpg:large

Light Lucario

Staff member
Tracey's not in this, oddly. His VA isn't listed on the summaries and he's not in the preview. Oh well, I wonder why they completely ignored him.

My guess is that they want to have Misty and Brock as the only returning characters for these two episodes. It would help to make their return more special. I'm not sure how popular Tracey is in Japan either, especially when the main reason he was introduced was because the people behind the anime were worried that Brock would come off as racist with his design much like what happened with the original Jynx design. He might have a silent cameo or image showing him doing some field work for Professor Oak.

CyberCubed said:
For Ash's old pokemon it seems we also may only see his Kanto-era pokemon. For one thing Ash has like 40 something pokemon at Oak's now, and I don't think the writers could bother to animate all 40 of them. We see Bulbasaur, Muk and Tauros in the preview. We'll probably see Kingler and Snorlax, but that might be it. I don't know if Charizard and Squirtle could get an appearance unless they have them visit quickly. We may not even see the Johto pokemon either even though they're part of the OS.

Well Charizard should technically be at Professor Oak's lab. It's possible that Ash sent it back to the Charific Valley after BW, but it was in the group photo alongside Ash's other reserved Pokemon, so that does imply, if not confirms, that Charizard is at Professor Oak's lab. It may not be there, but it would be kind of neat to see Kiawe react to Ash having his own Charizard and for his Ride Pokemon Charizard to meet with Ash's. Not to mention it is the most popular out of the Kanto starters, so it could still end up being there. Squirtle wouldn't, but it might be shown in a flashback.

I'd like to see more of Ash's other Pokemon, but I wouldn't be surprised if they focus was on his Kanto Pokemon due to the 20th anniversary of the anime and the Alola forms all being based on Kanto Pokemon. They could have something like the group photo shot of Ash with all of his Pokemon at the end of BW. That would save them the trouble of animating all of his Pokemon while still acknowledging all of his Pokemon.

Another promotional image has been released.
DJIy3heV4AALWa-.jpg:large

That is a really nice image. It does feel like something out of the original series with updated designs.

CyberCubed

I'm honestly not sure why they're making so many promotional images for this. This is only 2 episodes, it's not like this is part of an arc or Misty/Brock are returning for an extended period of time. Back when BW2 came out they did put Dawn on the promotions but she stayed for a long 9 episodes, and those eps aired over the course of 2 months.

This on the other hand is only 2 measly episodes. It'll be over before you know it. I've seen a lot of people online already misled into thinking Misty's making some permanent or long return to the anime or something...when in reality it's only a 2 ep cameo like Misty's appearances back in Hoenn. After this Ash will return to Alola and you won't see Misty or Brock for another 10 years.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'm honestly not sure why they're making so many promotional images for this. This is only 2 episodes, it's not like this is part of an arc or Misty/Brock are returning for an extended period of time. Back when BW2 came out they did put Dawn on the promotions but she stayed for a long 9 episodes, and those eps aired over the course of 2 months.

This on the other hand is only 2 measly episodes. It'll be over before you know it. I've seen a lot of people online already misled into thinking Misty's making some permanent or long return to the anime or something...when in reality it's only a 2 ep cameo like Misty's appearances back in Hoenn. After this Ash will return to Alola and you won't see Misty or Brock for another 10 years.

It's probably because this is part of the anime's 20th anniversary celebration and neither Misty or Brock have been in the anime for a long time. Misty hasn't been in the anime for over a decade and Brock hasn't appeared since his special with Cilan. The target audience probably wouldn't be that familiar with them as a result. They probably want to hype it up to draw more attention for the anime. They can draw in some of the nostalgia crowd, while giving the target audience something new to learn about at the same time. It's also possible that they have more planned for Misty and Brock. Not in terms of coming back to the main cast or anything like that, but it wouldn't be impossible for them to show up again later somehow. Part of that would depend on what plans they have for the rest of the series and if they want to do more field trips to other regions. It probably isn't too likely, but I wouldn't rule it out completely either.

It's only two episodes, at least as far as we know now, but most fans from what I've seen are pretty okay with getting at least that much. There were quite a few fans who thought that they wouldn't bring back any older characters after Iris didn't appear in XY and no one would have believed this would happen in SM either. Most Misty fans I've seen online have been over the moon with this news. While I don't like Misty myself due to the character and her fanbase, I am happy for her fans and all of the happiness for these episodes makes me happy too. I haven't seen anyone claim that Misty is going to be back for good or anything like that.

I wouldn't say that we won't see Misty or Brock for another ten years either. While this is definitely for the anime's 20th anniversary, that doesn't necessarily mean that they can only show up for anniversaries now. Besides that, you have been pretty adamant about Misty never appearing in the anime again for ages and claimed that neither her or Brock appearing in the new movie was definite proof that they'd never show up again. Not to mention all the times you firmly claimed that Ash would win the League, be replaced and ride off into the sunset with his girlfriend Serena. It's hard to really believe your claims with all of that in mind.

Also, I watched the new previews and I have no idea why anyone would think that Brock was doing his love daze gag with Lillie. He was clearly talking about being a Pokemon Doctor in-training and checking on Snowy. Snowy might feel too warm in the Kanto climate and Brock checking on it would be a good way to show that he is still working to become a Pokemon Doctor. There was no indication that he was doing his love daze gag with her. Unless there's another preview that I didn't see, reading that scene as Brock hitting on Lillie is one huge stretch.

GolfDude

an old school throw back it was.. the return of the original team rocket theme.. only for rocket bear to fly to kanto for them... a surprise mew appearance at oak lab , oak pulling out the oak haiku, and the return of jigglypuff with mull marker glory

Last edited:

zoombie

Yeah, I'm almost positive that it's just the way the preview was edited. Brock never hit on Misty, May or Dawn, so I don't know why he'd do that with Lillie. She should be around ten years old. I could see Kiawe being a bit older, but I don't think that any of the classmates would be much older than ten or eleven. Brock should be a teenager, so that would be kind of weird. He goes into his love daze gag for traditionally attractive older women, but never for a young girl.

Turned out I was right just the way preview edited it.

Brock was hitting on a flight attendant.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Turned out I was right just the way preview edited it.

Brock was hitting on a flight attendant.

I'm still not sure how you could get Brock hitting on Lillie from the way the preview was edited though. It wouldn't make sense with Brock if he did his love daze gag with a girl younger than he is.

CyberCubed

This ep played out like I expected, most of the ep was the SM characters seeing Kanto pokemon. The original trio was barely ever alone together, and Misty and Brock didn't even interact with Ash much at all after their opening scene. I almost feel sorry for the people who thought this was going to be some kind of original trio reunion, it was anything but.

We got nice scenes with Misty/Lana swimming together since they both like water pokemon, and the Brock/Kiawe scenes were good. So Brock apparently has a Marowak now? I'm not sure if that was made clear, but I love the fact that Brock got an old Kanto pokemon. We also briefly saw his Geodude and Crobat.

For Ash's pokemon we just saw Bulbasaur, Muk and Tauros. Squirtle and the Squad got a quick 2 second cameo, I guess Squirtle does visit Oak's most likely to meet Bulbasaur again. There was also a Corphish and Totodile in the underwater scene with Misty/Lana, but it was ambiguous if they were Ash's or not. I'm just glad Ash's Squirtle got a quick 2 second still scene, we hadn't seen it since Battle Frontier. Funny how the entire squad was roaming Oak's lab.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I've only seen some images of the episode, but I have to admit that I like Misty's design more than I thought I would. She has more emotional expressions that help to give her more personality, which is kind of nice. Brock still training to be a Pokemon Doctor does make me happy since that really is the most fitting goal for him too.

CyberCubed

Misty's SM design is definitely a lot "cuter" or "chibi" then her regular design, obviously due to SM's art style. Funny thing is Misty is basically energetic and girly in this 2-parter. She has no temper at all, so all the aspects people liked about her, "the fiery red-head tomboy" as Misty fans put it, is completely gone. She of course also has no bickering with Ash anymore either. She's also not as matured as she was in her AG cameos either, much like SM Ash, she's a lot more energetic and youthful looking. But of course that's chalked up to SM's writing style and animation more than anything.

It always amuses me greatly the one aspect people used to champion about Misty over the other girls, her huge temper, actually only existed for basically the Kanto arc and died down considerably during Orange Islands and Johto outside of a small handful of episodes. I remember people used to think being girly or feminine was a bad thing, which as we all know is idiotic, as girls can act any way they want and there's no one way to write a female character in a series. But now Misty is more feminine than ever before.

From what I've seen online and on social media like tumblr, most Misty fans like the way she's being portrayed. Which is weird because it's the exact opposite of how they like her and draw her in fanart or fanfiction.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Misty's SM design is definitely a lot "cuter" or "chibi" then her regular design, obviously due to SM's art style. Funny thing is Misty is basically energetic and girly in this 2-parter. She has no temper at all, so all the aspects people liked about her, "the fiery red-head tomboy" as Misty fans put it, is completely gone. She of course also has no bickering with Ash anymore either. She's also not as matured as she was in her AG cameos either, much like SM Ash, she's a lot more energetic and youthful looking. But of course that's chalked up to SM's writing style and animation more than anything.

That isn't really new. Misty has been designed to be more cute and has been into more traditionally cute things before. There were times throughout Kanto where she wanted to capture a Pokemon, usually a non-Water type oddly enough, simply because it was cute. She liked perfume, she liked shopping and she liked flowers. Those are all traditionally feminine interests. Being a tomboy doesn't mean that she can't be into traditionally feminine things. That might be one reason why people liked Misty in that she showed that a girl can be into battling and still like some traditionally feminine things. Granted, that would have more weight if she had more noteworthy battles and development, but I could understand finding appeal in that notion at least.

CyberCubed said:
It always amuses me greatly the one aspect people used to champion about Misty over the other girls, her huge temper, actually only existed for basically the Kanto arc and died down considerably during Orange Islands and Johto outside of a small handful of episodes. I remember people used to think being girly or feminine was a bad thing, which as we all know is idiotic, as girls can act any way they want and there's no one way to write a female character in a series. But now Misty is more feminine than ever before.

From what I've seen online and on social media like tumblr, most Misty fans like the way she's being portrayed. Which is weird because it's the exact opposite of how they like her and draw her in fanart or fanfiction.

Sadly, I don't think that people have stopped that kind of thinking in regards to being "girly" or feminine. Girly is often used in place of weak or bad and being called a girl or other feminine terms is still often used as an insult. It is indeed idiotic, but it's certainly not a thing of the past either. I don't keep up with how Misty is depict her in fanart and fan-fictions, but if she's still acting basically within her character, then that would probably be enough to please her fans. She stopped being the girl with a temper who frequently argued with Ash ages ago and they would know that, so seeing a more bubbly and energetic Misty again hanging out with the main cast would work for them.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
I will watch these episodes when they are dubbed in English.

Rhaynebow

27951f80573e8f4b16c31e2d398a7ce4.jpg

The continuity gets more complex, folks! Out of the bag and into our hearts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Light Lucario

Staff member
While I am curious about how the show will handle the Aether Foundation, especially when it comes to Lillie's mother, I'm also fully expecting more "Get in the bag, Nebby!" jokes from the fans and/or the show.

Rhaynebow

It's funny you say that Light Lucario because in the preview, Ash seems to be the one to find and nurture Nebby, so something is telling me a certain Owl Pokémon will not be eager to share its literal napsack..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Light Lucario

Staff member
Given how Lillie is still afraid to touch most Pokemon, I do wonder how they'll handle her relationship with Cosmog, especially when Ash seems to be taking care of it in the preview.

CyberCubed

If you notice on that new SM poster, both Rowlett and Litten are mysteriously absent on it, whereas they show Lycanroc as well as Lana's water starter and all the other groups pokemon. Since they wouldn't just ignore two starters on an anime poster for no reason, my guess is they're going to evolve soon and they don't want to spoil it on the poster. Thank goodness, the last thing people want is another BW where his starters barely evolve.

Another sign is Ash is probably going to keep Cosmog in his bag, so Rowlett likely won't be in there anymore since it's middle stage is bigger. Thank god. If Ash gets Decedueye by the end of SM, it'll also be his first official ghost type since it's part ghost.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Rowlet and Litten evolving would be really cool. I'd expect at least Rowlet to fully evolve by the end of the series considering how popular Decidueye is. Plus, it would be cool for Ash to officially have a Ghost type Pokemon at last. Litten evolving to a Incineroar would be neat too, if only for Ash to have two fully evolved starters again, but a Torracat would be pretty great too.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Perhaps the anime should produce specials featuring a younger Professor Oak. It would be interesting to see him in his young adult years.

Vegard Aune

I personally do not want to see Nyabby evolve. Why? Because I find it gets progressively less likable with each of its evolutions and I'd rather it just stay an adorable grumpy kitten. Is this a petty reason? Sure. But that's how I feel.

Would be totally okay with Mokuroh evolving though, but I would prefer he spend as little time in his second stage as possible. Though again, this is entirely just me not wanting to see a design I consider utterly adorable to be replaced with one that's... well... extremely unappealing (as well as being the middle-step before a final stage that looks positively awesome).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts