Pokemon Sun and Moon Anime Discussion

Light Lucario

Staff member
We will once next year comes.

It will start next year in English most likely, but the new series should be starting in Japan by this November. We might get an early sneak peek for the first episode or two like we did for XY for the dub though.

We do have at least a bit of confirmation for a Sun/Moon series. In Japan, merchandise for Rowlet, Litten, Popplio, Rockruff and Togedemaru have been revealed and they mention that they're going to appear in the new Pokemon TV series. They still apparently have the XY logo, but that's probably because they don't want to reveal the one for the new series just yet. In any case, it does confirm that a new series is going to happen.

We normally get more than than for a new series by this point, but they probably didn't want to reveal a new series right in the middle of the Team Flare arc. I imagine that we'll get some more information, if not a teaser trailer, after the hour long special later this month. It's also worth noting that one of the animators for XY said on Twitter earlier this week that the series has about ten episodes left. That would get them to November, assuming that there aren't other breaks after the one for the hour long special, and we can jump right into a new series.

Rhaynebow

d3f39efcb26ab95ca1983e387ae4546c.jpg

This image here is the only thing we've gotten in terms of the anime. XYZ is close to being finished though, so more news is differently in store as the Team Flare arc wraps up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GolfDude

CsJLgr7XEAABfw7.jpg

Translation Bubble:
In it, Ash will receive a Z Ring and meet the Melemele Island Guardian, Tapu Koko. In the series, Ash is going to school and his goal is to graduate "like never before".

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
I do like Ash and Pikachu's silly grins and poses. It so silly, yet endearing at the same time. I was hoping for Ash to get some short of jacket since I do think that the male trainer's default outfit is really generic, but it will probably grow on me. He does appear to have a Z Ring, so he'll most likely use some Z-Moves in this series.

It's hard to say if any of the Captains there will be his companions, especially when they normally don't bring that up in the first teaser poster for the new series. Team Rocket might have a Bewear, so that's neat. Lillie having an Alola Vulpix is a nice choice.

I am surprised with the whole school angle. It feels very sudden and random. I'm sure it won't be a regular school, but I do wonder how this connects to the Island Trials. Maybe graduating means completing the Island Trials. We might get some more information on Thursday, or at least some footage of the series.

Marc Johnson

Where did you get the pictures

أرسلت من SM-A300H بإستخدام تاباتلك

Vegard Aune

Well. Immediate reaction: Not impressed. This sounds like an absolutely stupid angle to take for the new series. And I say that as someone who was honestly perfectly fine with Ash losing the Kalos League.
Oh well. I guess we shall see how this turns out I guess. At least it's something different...

Light Lucario

Staff member
Where did you get the pictures

أرسلت من SM-A300H بإستخدام تاباتلك

It's from the newest issue of CoroCoro. Some of the pages got leaked this morning and that included this poster for the new anime series.

Most of the reactions I've seen for the poster haven't really been the best. Some are worried that Ash will regress like he did in BW and many think that the idea is stupid. I can understand not liking the concept on paper, especially when it does sound odd, but Ash regressing to BW levels of incompetent because of his silly grin and pose is a bit odd to me. He's clearly doing a pose for a Z-Move and those are by design pretty silly. I'm both curious and optimistic about the series. I'm hoping that the announcement on Thursday will have some more information to go on or at least some footage to give a better impression of the artstyle and the series in general.

Rhaynebow

Not to mention, Ash's face looks more uncomfortable than silly. Like he's embarrassed to make such a weird pose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaylop97

Staff member
Like Black and White I think they are going to slightly redesign Ash, because from this angle his hair looks a little different and his eyes look a lot like how they designed the characters in Pokemon Origins.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Like Black and White I think they are going to slightly redesign Ash, because from this angle his hair looks a little different and his eyes look a lot like how they designed the characters in Pokemon Origins.

I didn't notice the Origins style for his design, even though I wonder if that's one reason why the official Pokemon YouTube page uploaded the first Origins episode. A part of me thinks that there's a lot of space there because of his huge grin.

I also noticed that Team Rocket still has Wobbuffet, which makes me happy. I figured that they weren't going to make the mistake of getting rid of Wobbuffet again, especially when early XY did make a big deal about its return, but it's good to see that it is sticking around. It's practically an honorary fourth member of the team and it was a terrible decision to get rid of it in the first place, so that's a good sign for Team Rocket at least.

As strange as the school concept sounds, I seriously doubt that Ash is going to be stuck in a classroom for the whole series. That would be kind of lame, especially with how beautiful Alola looks in the games. Not to mention traveling around different regions has always been a huge part of being a trainer in both the show and games. I imagine that taking part in the Island Trials will be at least a factor as to how one graduates from the school. I really do hope that the series turns out well for multiple reasons, but I just need more information before really making any kind of judgement calls on it.

CyberCubed

The new series looks awful, even worse than BW. I'm likely dropping the series for good after XY, 20 years of Ash is enough. If the writers have no intent of wrapping Ash up and doing all these awful reboots to keep his character going then I'm done.

I'll just pretend the series ended with XY.

Light Lucario

Staff member
The new series looks awful, even worse than BW. I'm likely dropping the series for good after XY, 20 years of Ash is enough. If the writers have no intent of wrapping Ash up and doing all these awful reboots to keep his character going then I'm done.

I'll just pretend the series ended with XY.

Can you really judge the whole series than much just from one poster? They'd honestly have to try really hard to be worse than BW and I don't get that impression from the setup and poster. It sounds weird to have Ash go to school, but there's obviously more to it than that. He isn't going back to graduate elementary school or something like that. It will definitely involve Pokemon and most likely the Island Trials too. I can understand not liking the impressions that you get from the poster, but claiming that it looks awful, even worse than BW and wanting to pretend that the series ended with XY just from one poster is ridiculously nonsensical. You could at least wait until more information and a trailer comes out for it. I do want to learn more about the direction they're going for with the anime and if anything, the backlash kind of makes me want to defend it more. It's one thing to not like a series after you watched a couple of episodes, but fans are making assumptions out of nothing and that does bother me quite a bit.

Although, I don't know why you still think that the writers want to wrap Ash's character up. It's been nearly twenty years since the anime started and we're entering the sixth anime series with Ash as the main lead. Of course they don't have any intent on wrapping up his character. That's been obvious since at least AG, if not sooner, so I'm not sure how this development is new or now it's suddenly enough Ash for you.

nadazahra

How can you judge the whole show by only one Poster? It might not even the final Art style of the show, sheez

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts