Pokemon Scarlet and Violet News and Discussion Thread

the_joker

It is strange that Koraidon doesn't seem to use its wheels when you ride it. It does make it different from Miriadon since it looks more like a futuristic bike, but it kind of makes me wonder what purpose the wheels have if it still has to move primarily on its legs.
I can't believe I forgot to make a Flintstones reference. Maybe that and The Jetsons were (very) minor inspirations behind some of the themes of the games.

Light Lucario

Staff member
A new Pokemon, along with a look at competitive battling, was revealed during the closing ceremony of the Pokemon Worlds Tournament earlier today:
Admittedly, I was hoping for a bit more, but I'm still glad that we got a bit more news on the games this month. Cyclizar also looks pretty cute. It kind of reminds me of a bigger version of Dreepy, but I think that's mainly due to the color scheme being similar. It also has a wheel on its chest and according to the official website, it looks like other characters ride them around like bikes. I wonder if there is a connection between Cyclizar and Koraidon due to their similar wheels on their chests.

While I was hoping for a couple of more new Pokemon or characters, I liked how they showcase how useful Tera forms can be. Changing a Pokemon's type so that it can negate one of its major weaknesses can be useful and helpful in a pinch. Some of the new items will be helpful in competitive battling too.

the_joker

There would be a connection between Cyclizar and the 2 cover legendaries due to the wheels on their bodies. However, I don't think Cyclizar evolves into either of the legendaries for 2 reasons.

The first one comes from the Scarlet and Violet website, which says Cyclizar is commonly found in Paldea, and since Legendary Pokemon aren't exactly supposed to be that common, Cyclizar wouldn't evolve into either of them because there should otherwise be a lot of Koraidons and Miraidons around Paldea. There was a trailer showing the player riding the Legendary Pokemon, so even you were able to somehow evolve Cyclizar, there shouldn't be anything stopping other people in Paldea from doing the same.

The second reason comes from the TCG reveals for Koraidon and Miraidon. Pokemon-ex are sort of back in the game, and they can be evolutions. Koraidon-ex has an ability to attach Energy cards to Basic Pokemon while also ending your turn after using it, but that ability would be almost useless if it were an evolution since a Pokemon that helps you set up shouldn't require its own setup or be so slow to set up, and there's no way whoever designed this card would prevent Koraidon-ex from attaching Energy to itself. Miraidon-ex has an ability that's pretty much always useful, but both Pokemon would always be the same stage in the TCG since they're counterparts of each other.

I think Cyclizar is probably more analogous to Carbink while Koraidon and Miraidon don't evolve from or to anything. Or maybe the TCG will throw a curveball and sometimes print an evolved Pokemon as a Basic Pokemon-ex.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Earlier today, they revealed a new Pokemon called Grafaiai:

They've been teasing its reveal for a few days, but we finally have its design. I was caught off guard with it initially since I was expecting something completely different. I think Grafaiai is growing on me a bit. I like its huge bug eyes, it has a pretty cool type combination and a pretty unique design. I'm not sure if I could see it evolving, but it's a pretty interesting Pokemon.

Light Lucario

Staff member
They released a new trailer earlier this morning:

We finally got the new evil team. I had a feeling that they'd reveal them in this trailer and that facing off against the evil team would be one of the three storylines. Team Star gives off Team Skull energy and I mean that as a compliment. Team Skull were hilariously entertaining and Team Star being full of troublemaker students makes sense. I also thought that the huge car shown in the trailer from last month was tied to the evil team. From the sound of it, you can challenge their base, defeat a bunch of grunts in a time limit and then face off against their boss. Mela is labeled as the boss of Team Star's Fire Crew, which makes her sound more like an admin as opposed to the leader of all of Team Star. I like her design. Her boots are insanely huge and impractical, but that's what makes it cool. I also liked the image of Fuecoco facing off against this huge car.

I wasn't expecting Arven to be more involved with the the third storyline. Titan Pokemon kind of remind me of the Totem Pokemon back in the Alola games, so that could be a fun way to have more difficult battles against wild Pokemon. Arven could also standout more or have some interesting developments by being a central character in this storyline too.

Geeta has a really cool design. I really like her huge black hair. The black, blue and gold color scheme for her design works really nicely too. She is the chairwoman of the Pokemon League and is the most skilled of the Champion ranked trainers of Paldea. That does imply that there will be multiple other characters in the Champion rank, but Geeta will basically serve the role of the main Champion to represent Paldea. I've already seen people speculate that she'll be secretly evil, but I don't know about that. The idea of an evil Champion is interesting, but I don't know if that would make sense when they're already the final boss in a Pokemon game regardless. Plus, I think fans just jumped to that idea due to Chairman Rose from Sword/Shield. I'm sure that there will be some twist villain, but Geeta looks a bit too friendly to fit that mold compared to Lusamine or Chairman Rose.

Brassius has a pretty cool design among Grass type Gym Leaders and I kind of like that he used the Terastalize mechanic to turn Sudowoodo into a Grass type. I still remember playing Silver for the first time and thinking that Sudowoodo was a Grass type. I also like that they'll have tests before being able to do the Gym battles since I really liked that feature from Sword/Shield.

They also showed off a few new Pokemon. Klawf is pretty neat. I thought that it would be part Grass type due to the grass on its legs, but Sprigatto's attack was super effective on it. It did look more intimidating as a Titan Pokemon too. Armarouge immediately made me think of Mega Man, which is kind of weird since I'm not that familiar with the franchise. Still, it has a pretty cool design and Fire/Psychic is a pretty cool type combination. Ceruledge is really cool. The purple flames look so great and its signature attack sounds really awesome.

A part of me was kind of hoping for them to show off the first evolutions for the starter Pokemon, but I didn't think that would happen with this trailer. Maybe they'll reveal them later this month or more likely next month. I'd prefer for all of the starter evolutions to be revealed officially before the games come out. It would be an easy way to create more hype for the release and it would be one less major thing for leaks to spoil. Still, I'm pretty happy with what they revealed in the trailer. I also really love the new official artwork that represent the three different storylines. It gives off so much personality for the Paldea starters, as well as the human characters.

Dr.Pepper

^I agree that I want to see the evolutions to the starters in the next trailer. I still don’t know who I’m going to pick.

Light Lucario

Staff member
^I agree that I want to see the evolutions to the starters in the next trailer. I still don’t know who I’m going to pick.
I can definitely understand that. They have such good designs that it can be hard to pick from just their first forms. Fuecoco is by far my favorite of the three, so that will be my starter in Scarlet. I'm less sure about my starter for Scarlet though. I think I'm leading more towards Sprigatito. I like both it and Quaxly, but I think the fanart for Sprigatito I've seen has made me like it more over time. It could still go either way depending on what their evolved forms look like and if there are any other Grass or Water types revealed before the games come out that look appealing to me.

ShadowBeast

I'd prefer for all of the starter evolutions to be revealed officially before the games come out. It would be an easy way to create more hype for the release and it would be one less major thing for leaks to spoil.
Seeing the evolutions of the starters would also help players choose which starter they would want.

Light Lucario

Staff member
A new Pokemon was teased yesterday and officially revealed earlier today:

It's called Wiglett. It looks like a sock puppet to me, especially when it stretches its body out. I love it. They emphasized that it isn't a regional form of Diglett, but a completely different species of Pokemon. It's called a Garden Eel Pokemon and it's also a Water type. They say that the similarities between Wiglett and Diglett are the result of how Wiglett adapts to its environment. I wonder if there will be other Pokemon with striking similarities to older Pokemon only for them to be labeled as different Pokemon.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
I'd like to see a game similar to Legends of Arceus but set in the 1960s.

Light Lucario

Staff member
A new trailer was released earlier this morning:

While this was a pretty cool trailer, I was a bit disappointed with it. I got my hopes up a bit too high for starter evolutions. I knew it was a long shot, but when I saw that the trailer was fourteen minutes instead of three and Quaxly shown in the trailer was at level 15, I got excited. I didn't know what else they could cover for fourteen minutes aside from the middle stages for the starters. It was mostly an overview trailer of what we currently know about the games with a few bits of new information sprinkled in there.

Still, I liked what they showed. Girafarig has a new evolved form called Farigiraf. It has a pretty cool design. I like how its tail has merged with its head to basically become a helmet. It also looks more like a giraffe, so that's pretty neat. They also showed how finding wild Pokemon with rare Terra types work. There is also a TM Machine that allows you to make TMs, which is a pretty nice way to make multiple copies of a TM for different Pokemon. It is weird for them to make TMs usable just once again. It may not be much of an issue if the resources to craft them are easy to find, but TMs being reusable was such a good feature.

The Pokemon Picnic was rather cute too. It's basically their version of Pokemon Camp with being able to see Pokemon play together, interact with them individually, and eat food together. Washing up Pokemon looks really cute. The sandwich was a bit weird, but it's a cute way to share a meal with your Pokemon. I'm also surprised that you can get Pokemon Eggs through this feature. I don't know if that means that Pokemon Picnic would replace Pokemon Day Cares. That would be a bit surprising when that has been a consistent feature since the second generation, but I suppose that would allow for players to breed Pokemon wherever they go instead of having to go to a specific location. It's also possible that they just have this feature along with the more traditional Pokemon Day Care.

They also showed off more of the trainer customization. It looks like there are a lot of options and from what I understand, at least the hairstyles aren't gender locked anymore. That would be pretty cool. The male trainer hairstyles have felt pretty lacking to me for the past few games, so giving everyone the chance to have certain customization options for both male and female trainers sounds nice.

It really felt like they had about five minutes or so worth of new content, but stretched it out by covering what other trailers had already shown. I think that might have been okay if they had been able to show at least a couple of more new Pokemon. Farigiraf is cool and my Johto loving heart is happy to see another Johto Pokemon getting a regional form, but I just wish that they included a couple of more new Pokemon along with it. We don't even know what the regional early route bird is going to be yet.

Dr.Pepper

With a 14 minute trailer, I was expecting a lot more. Color me disappointed. I guess I liked what we got but they could have done this in half the time.

Light Lucario

Staff member
They revealed a new Pokemon earlier this morning:
They were teasing this a couple of days ago with the reveal of the Electric Gym Leader Iono. I was pretty annoyed with her trailer being just a tease for another trailer. It made sense with Iono clearly being more like a YouTuber personality, but it just felt like a waste to hype up a new trailer when all we got was a new Gym Leader and a tease for a new Pokemon. At least we didn't have to wait another week to find out what it is.

The new Pokemon is Bellibot. It's a large green Electric type Pokemon. At the moment, I'm not really feeling it. It isn't a bad design, but I think its fake eyes threw me off too much, especially when it first popped up in Iono's videos. Being annoyed at having to wait a couple of days for this reveal when they could have done this on Wednesday instead probably doesn't help matters either. It is cute and seeing where its real face is made it look a bit better, but it doesn't appeal to me that much. Its new ability Electromorphosis sounds pretty useful though. I don't know if it would have the defense and stamina to take a lot of hits, but getting a boost for Electric type moves could help it out in battle.

Dr.Pepper

Bellibolt is actually king of adorable. I'm hoping that we get a new teaser every week until release.

Light Lucario

Staff member
A new Pokemon was revealed earlier this morning:

It's called Greavard. It's a pure Ghost type and I love it. It looks so adorable. During the initial reveal video, I thought that it was going to be a regional form for Litwick due to the candle, so I was quite surprised when it was something completely different. It is interesting that both Litwick and Greavard absorb the life force of those around it, although at least Greavard does it unknowingly. It looks like such a sweet and happy puppy that I just want to give it a hug. It is perfectly designed for becoming a plush toy and other merchandise.

Nintendo also dropped a couple of commercial trailers for the games last night:

While they don't seem to provide any new information, I thought that they were cool trailers. I especially liked seeing the Paldea starters in CGI. Fuecoco looks so adorable too.

Reactions: Moe

Light Lucario

Staff member
A new Pokemon was revealed earlier this morning:

I remember seeing a bit of this Pokemon during the trailer that revealed Farigiraf last month. I saw a few videos breaking down the trailer and showing off some other new Pokemon that weren't revealed and one of them showed off this Pokemon's head. It is called Gimmighoul and it is a Ghost type.

I thought that this was a pretty cool way to introduce a new Pokemon. I play Pokemon Go all the time, so I saw the tease for it yesterday. The voice acting for Professor Willow and Jacq was pretty nice. They had Professor Willow and Professor Oak interacting during the Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee promotion too. I'm kind of surprised that Gimmighoul is a Ghost type. It makes sense with how its attracted to coins and seemingly gets people to gather more coins for it, but I thought that it was a little bug when I initially saw it in Pokemon Go.

Having two different forms is interesting, especially with how no one in Paldea has caught the Roaming Gimmighoul form. I like its design. It's a bit simplistic, but I think it works for what is basically a treasure chest ghost. I think that the official artwork helps to give it a bit more personality too. The legend with the girl being lured into giving it nearly a thousand coins was also pretty cool. It makes me wonder if gathering coins allows for Gimmighoul to evolve.

I think that this was a fun way to tease the connection between Pokemon Scarlet/Violet and Pokemon Go. By linking Pokemon Go to Pokemon Scarlet/Violet, you'll be able to get Gimmighoul Roaming Form in Pokemon Go. It won't be available until next year. Players should be able to get Gimmighoul Chest Form within the game, but you may need to transfer the Roaming Form from Pokemon Go in order to get it in Scarlet/Violet. They emphasize that no trainer in Paldea has caught this form, so I'm not sure if you'll be able to get this form through regular gameplay. It does make me wonder if you can change Gimmighoul's form. That is normally available for Pokemon, if I'm just less sure about Gimmighoul, at least with what they've show thus far.

Light Lucario

Staff member
A new trailer came out this morning:

It was a pretty nice overview trailer with the Ed Sheeran song "Celestial". I did get my hopes again that that we'd see at least the middle stage starter evolutions, so that was a bit disappointing. It wasn't too bad when we're just a little over a week away from the games' release and getting to see the starter evolutions for the first time while playing the game is pretty cool too. I'm still going to get Fuecoco in Scarlet and I'm leading more towards Sprigattio with Violet.

It also helps that there were still a couple of new Pokemon introduced. They don't mention them by name proper, but one is known as Great Tusk and the other is Iron Treads. Great Tusk in particular looks like a Donphan, so that could be a regional form of Donphan. Given that Arven has the book that reference the version exclusive form, it makes me wonder if they're tied into his storyline. We've only seen the giant Klawf for the Path of Legends storyline, so these two other Pokemon could be something else you battle against.

You can also get Rotom Phone cases if you have save data from the other Pokemon switch games, which is pretty cool. It's a nice way to customize your Pokedex.

They've also announced two Tera Raid Battle events, which is a lot sooner than I was expecting. The first one is for Eevee between November 24 to November 27 and it will have various Tera Types. I don't know if it will have a Tera type for each type, but they showed off Fire, Water and Grass Tera type Eevee. There's also a special event for Charizard with a Dragon Tera type. It's supposed to be really strong and it cannot be found in Paldea through normal gameplay. The event runs from December 1st to the 4th and then again from December 15th to the 18th. It sounds like the black Tera Raid Crystals where Charizard would be would be available by completing the post game, but people can still jump into these raids through other players hosting them from the sound of it. I don't know if I'll be able to complete the storyline that fast. I was hoping to just take my time with it, but I could see them doing this event again in January or for Pokemon Day, especially when a lot of people won't get the games at launch and plenty of people would get it during the holiday season too.

Dr.Pepper

Gimmighoul is adorable. What version is everyone planning on getting? I’m getting Scarlet, based on everything I’ve seen and heard.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'm going to get both versions. I was able to pre-order the Double Pack. I try to get both versions whenever possible just so I can make two teams and experience the version exclusive content. I already bought a Fuecoco plush toy from the Pokemon Center. Fuecoco is definitely going to be my starter in Scarlet and I think I will go with Sprigatto for Violet.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts