Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee News and Discussion Thread

Light Lucario

Staff member
While this was briefly brought up here when the games were announced, I figured that we can have a thread specifically for the games. Plus, there have been a couple of new trailers out recently for the games:

These games are basically a Yellow remake with Pokemon Go features. During the presentation where the games were announced, they were described as a core series title, but they seem much more like their own kind of series as opposed to a main series title, especially when they also emphasized that a game in the style of X/Y and Sun/Moon would come out next year for the Switch.

From what I can tell, the reception of the games have been mixed to say the least and I can understand why. There has been a lot of Kanto nostalgia pandering for the past couple of generations and having another Kanto remake seems like a bit much. If it was a new game set in modern Kanto as opposed to another first generation remake, I think more fans would be interested in these games. I wanted the rumors to be false before the announcement came out, but I'm more in favor of the games now. They're basically a way to attract casual fans, as well as fans of Pokemon Go, to a more core series title, get more people to buy a Switch before the start of the next generation and give Game Freak a chance to test out how to make a game on the Switch. From a technical and financial point of view, it makes sense. While I do think that Kanto is overrated, it does have a wider appeal than other regions do. That's why they went for a Kanto remake instead of a D/P remake that a lot of fans would want now. Thinking about the games that way have made me more interested than I was initially and it also helps that these aren't the start of a new generation.They're more of a bridge between the two generations instead of being a new generation set in Kanto, which makes a lot more sense.

Plus, the trailers have been pretty cool. The graphics look nice and I love that the Pokemon following you feature has returned. You can even ride on an Arcanine, which is just fantastic. I'm also happily surprised that trainer customization is in the games. I thought that wouldn't happen due to this being a remake, but the outfits you can wear with your starter is an adorable feature. The new designs for Brock and Misty look pretty nice and the Team Rocket trio of Jessie, James and Meowth are in the games too. The new rival Trace does look a bit on the bland side, but I don't mind getting a friendly rival. Both Bianca and Hau show that friendly rivals can still be good characters as far as I'm concerned. Plus, I never liked Blue as a rival. He was a jerk and while that made you want to beat him, he was much more of an annoying jerk. At least Silver was an interesting jerk. Still, I'm hopeful that he'll be at least likable instead of just boring. It still looks fun and there's something nice about the Japanese commercial. I think it's the happiness of kids running home from school to play a Pokemon game that leaves me feeling almost nostalgic, even though I've been playing the games nonstop for years.

How do you feel about the games? Are you going to buy at least one of the two versions? Do you have any plans for potential teams? There are a few Pokemon I'd want to train again, as well as trying out a few Pokemon from the first generation that I haven't tried out yet, but I'm still in the planning stages and constantly go back and forth on what I want to raise for which team. I have already pre-ordered both games, but I do hope that the Switch will drop down in price before November. Or at least there will be a sale for it somewhere where I can find a new one at a relatively cheaper price.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
The orchestral remixes we've heard so far are exquisite. The last time most of the Kanto soundtrack was remixed was for HeartGold/SoulSilver and the DS' not so good sound chip, so this is welcome.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I hate everything about this game. I can't wait to buy it.

I can't really tell if you're joking or not. Although, I am sure that quite a few people who complain about the games are eventually going to buy them, so I don't know if that's what you're referring to.

Anyway, there have been some new trailers that came out recently:

Mega Evolution is confirmed to be in Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. I figured it would be since they already included Alola forms, but I figured that it would only be available post storyline. Since they confirmed it relatively early in the games' pre-release season, I guess that means that you can use them at some point during the storyline. That would help to make traveling through Kanto again different and possibly make me reconsider some of my team members. Although, a part of me is worried that you can only use Mega Pokemon in special battles like a Battle Tower. Plus, the Japanese trailer showed that you can choose between Mega Charizard X or Y, which makes me think that you can only use it during battles with other players. I could just be assuming too much because they just wanted to have the different Mega Pokemon of the Kanto starters battling each other, but that thought still came to mind.

Still, it's pretty awesome that they confirmed Mega Evolution will be in the games. A part of me kind of hopes that they'll announce some new Mega Pokemon. They would have to be only from the first generation, which would be frustrating in a way, but at the same time, I think that there are still a few Pokemon within the first generation that deserve a Mega Evolution. I still want a Mega Arcanine and a Mega Golduck that is a Water/Psychic type like Golduck should have been in the first place. At the very least, I hope that this means that they'll give some Mega Evolutions for the next generation.

They also showed Vermillion City and Lt. Surge. I kind of like seeing the Kanto Gym Leaders during the battles. It was a really nice touch in Sun/Moon and US/UM, so I hope that they'll keep that aspect for future games too. I do like how colorful the scenery is too.

VHSTrader234

PM me to trade VHS tapes. KidsWB, CN, FoxBox
I can't really tell if you're joking or not. Although, I am sure that quite a few people who complain about the games are eventually going to buy them, so I don't know if that's what you're referring to.

I hate it because I have to raise my pokemon by catching pokemon instead of battling them. It's way to easy.

That being said I really want to play it because I've been craving a true 3D version of Kanto forever. I like the stupid pokeball wii remote that has mew in it. I like the graphics a lot. I'm just really upset that I can't pokemon the same way it's been the past 20+ years.

That being said I'm still going to buy the game. I haven't played pokemon go in a while and I forgot my password but I want to trade pokemon caught in pokemon go to the switch. It's a stupid gimmic but I'm suckered into it. It was a good idea.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I hate it because I have to raise my pokemon by catching pokemon instead of battling them. It's way to easy.

That being said I really want to play it because I've been craving a true 3D version of Kanto forever. I like the stupid pokeball wii remote that has mew in it. I like the graphics a lot. I'm just really upset that I can't pokemon the same way it's been the past 20+ years.

That being said I'm still going to buy the game. I haven't played pokemon go in a while and I forgot my password but I want to trade pokemon caught in pokemon go to the switch. It's a stupid gimmic but I'm suckered into it. It was a good idea.

Oh that makes more sense. I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic before, but I can understand those complaints. I still play Pokemon Go, so I'm kind of used to how you catch Pokemon in that game, but I can see how incorporating that aspect of Go into a more traditional Pokemon game would be off-putting. I wouldn't want them to replace traditional catches in future games with the Pokemon Go way of catching, but I think it's fine to do that for these games as a quick and easy gimmick.

Honestly, I don't mind the Pokemon Go elements. That makes sense when they want to attract Pokemon Go players to the Switch before the next generation comes out. It's the amount of attention that the first generation gets that kind of bother me. I still understand why it gets all of the attention and I've warmed up to the Let's Go games quite a bit since they were initially revealed partly because I realized that they're using the games as a transitional bridge between the two generations. I still kind of wish that Kanto wasn't so overused, but from a marketing and financial point of view, it makes sense.

I want to trade Pokemon I got in Pokemon Go into these games too. I want to have a Growlithe in Let's Go Eevee even though they're exclusive to Let's Go Pikachu. I also want to get an Alolan Grimer to try out and that might be the best way for me to get one on my team. It would depend on how late in the game they allow players to use the Go Park though. I've heard rumors that it replaces the Safari Zone, but I don't think that was confirmed yet.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer

I actually thought the post was very funny whether you were joking or not. The fact that you let us sit with it without explaining further until asked made it even funnier.

VHSTrader234

PM me to trade VHS tapes. KidsWB, CN, FoxBox
I realized that they're using the games as a transitional bridge between the two generations. I still kind of wish that Kanto wasn't so overused, but from a marketing and financial point of view, it makes sense.
Yeah I get what there doing. I kind of don't like it. But I'm not a kid anymore. And if this gets the millions of kids who got into pokemon from pokemon go and converts those cookie tapper morons (no offense to anyone) to kids who want to play a game with actual substance that requires patience and strategy then I'm all for it. I'm personally disappointed and excited. I've got mixed feelings.

Kanto is not over used. We haven't been able to play in kanto in 10 years. Heart Gold and Soul Silver was the last time we were in kanto. The kids playing these may not have even been born since the last time you could play in Kanto.

I know there will be a traditional pokemon game coming next. This is just to hold us over. I'm upset because they could hold us over in the region from pokemon diamond or something else. I want a real pokemon game in Kanto!
I actually thought the post was very funny whether you were joking or not
lol thanks

Light Lucario

Staff member
Yeah I get what there doing. I kind of don't like it. But I'm not a kid anymore. And if this gets the millions of kids who got into pokemon from pokemon go and converts those cookie tapper morons (no offense to anyone) to kids who want to play a game with actual substance that requires patience and strategy then I'm all for it. I'm personally disappointed and excited. I've got mixed feelings.

I'm not sure how many kids got into Pokemon through Pokemon Go. I usually hear about older fans playing that game than kids. I'm sure that there are kids who play Go. I just don't know how many they account for compared to those who get into the series through the main series games. I can understand having mixed feelings on the games. That's how I felt initially and I still have some concerns, but I'm leading more towards being excited. Part of it might just be wanting to have a fun Pokemon game on a new system to look forward too, even though buying a Switch is going to be rough on my bank account.

VHSTrader234 said:
Kanto is not over used. We haven't been able to play in kanto in 10 years. Heart Gold and Soul Silver was the last time we were in kanto. The kids playing these may not have even been born since the last time you could play in Kanto.

Technically, kids could have played through Kanto with the Virtual Console re-releases of R/B/Y from a couple of years ago. They might have been turned off by the older graphics, but it was a way for them to play through the original Kanto region. It's true that we haven't played through Kanto in a new game for years, but I was thinking of the first generation, not just Kanto itself, being overused. The past couple of generations have had a lot of nods to Kanto and that was understandable with the 20th anniversary, but it does come off like there's too much first generation favoritism. That's why I was initially turned off by these games during the initial announcement. It probably doesn't help that I find Kanto overrated. There are other more interesting regions and plenty of good Pokemon from other generations too.

VHSTrader234 said:
I know there will be a traditional pokemon game coming next. This is just to hold us over. I'm upset because they could hold us over in the region from pokemon diamond or something else. I want a real pokemon game in Kanto!

As much as I find Kanto overrated, I can understand why they didn't just give us a D/P remake. A lot of fans would want that, but it wouldn't have the same kind of appeal to both long time and new fans like Kanto would. I'm sure a ton of people love the idea of playing through a Yellow remake on a Switch console too. Sinnoh wouldn't attract as much attention as Kanto would for the first major Switch Pokemon games. These are still real Pokemon games. I wouldn't call them a main series title, mainly because they feel more like their own category due to the Pokemon Go features, but they are still Pokemon games.

Light Lucario

Staff member
We did get some new trailers last week:

Pikachu and Eevee can use Special Techniques that allow for you to cut down trees, surf and fly to different areas. It's basically a way to replace HMs and they also don't take up move slots either. It is pretty awesome. I was expecting HMs to still be in these games, but this is hopefully a sign that they plan on figuring out different ways for players to get around a region without having to get specific Pokemon that can learn specific moves. I didn't have a huge problem with HMs compared to other fans, but I'm perfectly fine with leaving them behind in favor of more creative ways to move around a region.

Pikachu and Eevee also have a Partner Power that deals more damage depending on the level of your friendship. Pikachu's Partner Power is Pika Papow, while Eevee's Partner Power is Veevee Volley. They also have exclusive moves. Pikachu can learn Splishy Splash, which looks like a mini Surf. Eevee can learn Sizzly Slide, Bouncy Bubble and Buzzy Buzz. Since neither partner Pokemon can evolve in their respective games, it made sense to give them some exclusive moves. Pikachu needs a move to protect it from Ground types and it's a nice callback to the surfing Pikachu too. Eevee definitely needed some upgrades to its move pool for this game since the moves it normally learns wouldn't really give it much variety or protection from other Pokemon. It's also nice that it learns a Water, Fire and Electric move to match with its first three evolutions.

They also announced a bundle pack with an exclusive Pikachu and Eevee theme Switch system. Even though it comes with one of the games and the Pokeball Plus, I don't think I'll be getting it. I've already pre-ordered the games and it wouldn't be much cheaper to buy the bundle pack. I still need to get a Switch system, but I'm still hoping that they'll either lower the price by the time November rolls around or more likely GameStop/Best Buy will have a sale on the system. Still, the news we got was pretty nice and seeing the trailers always make me think that exploring through the games is going to be fun.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Well we got some pretty big news this week too. There was a "leaked" Pokemon showing up in Pokemon Go during the recent Community Day event. It might have been around a bit longer since I caught one the day after the Chikorita event, although it transformed back into Ditto once I caught it. I didn't think we'd get an answer for what it is for awhile, but then they had this trailer pop up:

So it is a new Mystical Pokemon called Meltan and it's a Steel type. This is probably the new Pokemon that the Let's Go initial trailer hinted at. I'm not sure if it's the first eighth generation Pokemon. It could be something like Poipole in that it's a new Pokemon introduced in the middle of a generation instead of being part of the next generation. Even though I've seen it around online for the past few days, I'm still not sure how I feel about its design. It's cute and fine, but I think that the design might be a bit too minimal for my tastes. It might look more appealing in the anime since they can give it more unique movements and its voice could help make it more emotional, but I'm just okay with it.

The trailer showcasing Professor Oak and Willow talking to each other was pretty cute and fun though. I'm sure that they'll have more updates from Professor Oak to provide more information on Meltan between now and November.

SNS

They also announced a bundle pack with an exclusive Pikachu and Eevee theme Switch system. Even though it comes with one of the games and the Pokeball Plus, I don't think I'll be getting it. I've already pre-ordered the games and it wouldn't be much cheaper to buy the bundle pack. I still need to get a Switch system, but I'm still hoping that they'll either lower the price by the time November rolls around or more likely GameStop/Best Buy will have a sale on the system.

Do these come with the physical games or are they digital and preloaded on the system?

SNS

I never did like how Nintendo always went the route that saved them the most money. Like before digital was an option, they would have the game discs in paper sleeves (while Sony would have the actual game cases).

It looks like I won't bother with these bundles if I ever decide to get a second Nintendo Switch. Thanks for the info.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I never did like how Nintendo always went the route that saved them the most money. Like before digital was an option, they would have the game discs in paper sleeves (while Sony would have the actual game cases).

It looks like I won't bother with these bundles if I ever decide to get a second Nintendo Switch. Thanks for the info.

You're welcome. I've never been a fan of digital copies myself. It's mainly because if you lose the system that has the game or it gets damaged, then you could lose all of that progress. Losing digital copies of books or movies isn't that bad since you can just get them again, but if you lose a digital game, that could mean a lot of hours of gameplay went for nothing.

In this case, there isn't really a significant price advantage for me with this Switch bundle. It is a nice deal, but since I'm getting both games, getting one of the bundle packs along with a regular copy of the other game would be about the same price. Plus, I've already pre-ordered my copies of the games.

Light Lucario

Staff member
So there have been a few updates for these games, especially for Meltan:

You can get Meltan in Pokemon Go after transferring a Pokemon from Go to Let's Go. You'll get an item box that attracts Meltan for about a half an hour. You can transfer Meltan to the Let's Go games as well.

They also revealed that Meltan has an evolved form called Melmetal. It's requires 400 Meltan candies in order to evolve. It's design is rather strange. I guess it makes sense given that it is supposed to be a bunch of Meltan coming together, but it didn't really do much for me. Still, it is different to have a Mystical Pokemon with an evolved form. The closest we had to that before was Manaphy and Phoine.

We also have a bit of information for the post-storyline:

There are Master Trainers throughout Kanto where you can defeat them and earn their titles. It sounds cool on paper, but only being able to use their Pokemon makes it a bit more limited, especially when there's only the first generation of Pokemon in the games. It might be fun to do and a good way to get some experience after the storyline. I still haven't even gotten a Switch yet, but I'll get it a week or two before getting the games.

EDIT: My 45,000th post and it's Pokemon related. That's always great.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I meant to put up this trailer before the games came out, but I forgot to do so. Still, here's the last trailer prior to the games' release date:

It's a shorter one, but we do get to see the designs for other Gym Leaders and the Elite 4. Lance looks a lot younger to me for some reason. They also showcase Red and Blue as NPC, which is pretty neat. I heard about that as a rumor, so I wasn't too surprised, but confirmation is still good. I was really surprised that they actually showed the female trainer often called Leaf. She rarely gets any kind of attention, but between this, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and getting a figurine, Leaf has definitely gotten more love during this year than ever before. I wonder what role they'll have in the storyline. You'll obviously be able to battle Red and possibly Leaf, so that might be fun.

To celebrate the games official release, they also released this video:

I really like this remix of the first opening, so I thought it was great and fitting to use it to promote Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. They are nostalgia filled remakes, but still new games, so using a remix of the classic Pokemon theme was a good choice. It did get me more excited for the games. I was hoping that they'd use the whole opening, but the video was shorter than I expected. It was pretty cool to see them using some game footage to mirror the actual opening too.

It's still early in the morning for my, so GameStop hasn't opened yet. I could have gotten the games in a early release last night, but that would have been difficult for me to manage anyway. I'll get the games later on this morning, but feel free to comment on the games at any point during your journeys. I've read a lot of good reviews for the games over the past few days, so that has made me more excited to play them. It may not be the ideal way people wanted the first big Pokemon Switch title, but it does sound like fun and at the end of the day, that's all I want from my video games. Being able to travel through Kanto again with a new team does sound like fun.

ToonJay723

Staff member
A demo was released yesterday.

You can catch as many Pokemon you want in the Viridian Forest until you're done. And they've added a few more Pokemon that don't appear there in the full game.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Even though these games have been out for about a year, I never posted my full thoughts on them. Since I've been meaning to do that for ages and I want to have fun talking about Pokemon games, that's what I'm going to do.

All things considered, I think that these are pretty fun solid remakes. I really loved seeing Pokemon around in the over world. It makes Kanto feel so much more alive and immersive. Not having to worry about random encounters was also quite nice, especially in caves or surfing through an area. Being able to see Shiny Pokemon was also a really cool bonus and the catching bonus helps with Shiny Hunting, but for me it was a bit of a double edge sword. My luck with Shiny Hunting was still pretty rough and that led to longer break periods for me playing the game. It was still a pretty cool feature.

I really love how you bond with your partner Pokemon. Pikachu and Eevee are so adorable and interacting with them gives them some more personality too. It is too bad that you can't do that with your other Pokemon, but it does make Pikachu and Eevee more special in that regard. It was always fun to pet them and get them to laugh. Their new moves could make them overpowered, especially for Eevee, but it was kind of a necessity given that neither of them can evolve. I also love that the walking Pokemon feature returned. Being able to choose which Pokemon we walk with instead of just being automatic is a nice touch. It's also nice that we can still have some interactions with our other Pokemon, even if it is more limited compared to the partner Pokemon.

I think that the art style of the game is quite charming and cute. If Yellow was my first Pokemon game instead of Silver, seeing a more detailed version of Kanto like this would really excite me. The Secret Techniques were a great way to get around HMs. Catching Pokemon with the Pokemon Go method felt a lot more natural than I thought it would. Granted, I still play Pokemon Go, so that probably helped a lot, but it was an effective and at times challenging way to capture more Pokemon. It's also a pretty easy way to gain more experience, especially with the catch combo bonus. It also helps that I didn't feel like I was missing out on a lot of battles since the trainer battles were still there. Being able to transfer Pokemon from Go into Let's Go was pretty neat. I wish it was available earlier, but using it in place of the Safari Zone made sense.

I actually really liked the new rival Trace. He didn't have an amazing storyline or development, but his friendship with the playable trainer made him feel pretty likable and endearing. It might also help that I don't like Blue and always found him to be overrated, but Trace being another friendly rival never really bothered me. One of my favorite moments of the game was Cubone reaching out to its mother's spirit and then Trace comforting Cubone. The fact that he captures that Cubone and it evolves into a Marowak is extremely touching and really made me like him more as well. Cubone's more prominent role during the Pokemon Tower portion in generally was really nice and made the already memorable aspect of the original game more emotional.

Jessie, James and Meowth showcasing more personality than they did before was neat and it didn't feel like they were shoehorned into the game, or at least not as much as in the original Yellow. I also liked the nod to HG/SS with Archer appearing and I was disappointed that didn't lead to a setup for a potential Johto continuation.

The Gyms have such good redesigns, especially the ones for Celedon, Saffron and Cinnabar Island. They're just so unique and help to give more personality to the Gym Leaders as well. I really like that they explain why there wasn't a Champion at the Pokemon League. Even though it was just a setup for Blue to be the final boss, I was always confused why Lance was the last member of the Elite 4 and the person you needed to defeat in order to become the new Champion. Even though you're just fighting against Trace again, I do love you still defend your title after the storymode. Being able to see Red, Blue and even Green in the game was also a pretty cool touch. It does make me wonder what Red and Blue did in this game to become noteworthy trainers since you and Trace basically take their roles, but they're just there as some extra fanservice. Green was a pretty huge surprise since she barely gets any attention next to Red and Blue. Her unique personality helped her to be pretty fun and memorable too.

As much as I enjoyed the games, I also have my fair share of issues with them. They wanted to make these games as close to the original Yellow as possible and I do think that they succeeded. However, that also made it feel a bit too limited, at least as someone who has played later generations. The movepools are far shallow and it really makes it harder to give Pokemon good movesets within the game. Not keeping the evolutions from later generations was also a bit disappointing. They wanted to make it an easy entry point for Go players, as well as people getting into the games in general, which is understandable, but it just felt a bit too limited compared to what I have played.

While it made sense to get more experience from catching Pokemon, I would have preferred if battling other trainers still gave you a good amount of experience. The candy method of training a Pokemon's stats is kind of a mixed bag. Being able to max out all of the stats is cool, but it can take a long time to get all of the candies necessary, especially the Pokemon specific candies. If you could plant berries to have a steady supply, as opposed to finding them in a few areas, then it might have been less tedious. It also doesn't help that money becomes surprisingly tight after the storyline given that you have more limited options on who to battle.

The lack of a post storyline content was disappointing. It would have been cool to travel through the Sevii Islands, but since they were so intent on making this so much like Yellow, I'm not surprised that wasn't included. The concept of the Master Trainers was neat and it did give me something more to work on after becoming the Champion. I just think it should have been just one part of the post storyline content instead of the main thing about it. The trainer customization is pretty weak, especially for the male trainer, and it would have been nice to have a few more options to choose from.

When the games were first announced, I was worried that they were going to be a Pokemon Go game under the disguise of a Yellow remake. After playing through both versions, I can safely say that I was mistaken thankfully. These are Yellow remakes with some Pokemon Go features thrown in to make it stand out, which is a huge difference. It still looks and feels like a main series Pokemon title because that's exactly what it is. I remember how watching the commercials for the games made me so excited to play them. While these may not have been the ideal way fans wanted to get Pokemon on the Switch, they are still pretty fun remakes that provided the franchise with a good first step on the system. They were really solid and I'm glad that I could get my thoughts out here about them.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts